Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

The last day was 5 minute warm up walk, then:
    - 5 minutes jogging
    - 3 minutes walking
    - 5 minutes jogging
    - 3 minutes walking
    - 5 minutes jogging

Next one is 5 minute warm up walk, then:
    - 8 minutes jogging
    - 5 minutes walking
    - 8 minutes jogging

I just feel like it's a massive jump so I'm going to repeat day 1 tomorrow. I really don't feel like I'd be able for an 8 minute jog.

When I started I repeated days if I needed to but then on certain days I pushed myself because I felt I'd be forever repeating the days I found easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Repeat days if you need to but you'd be surprised at what you can do as well
    I think every one of us posted before w5d3 "no way I'm going to do this no way no way" and then came back having done it and amazed

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Agree with bluewolf here - try the next stage and then if you can't do it, then repeat a few days. I would NEVER have believed that I could have jogged for 20 minutes last week when I was on week 5 - and you can do it - just take the pace nice and handy....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

sullivlo wrote: »
    When I started I repeated days if I needed to but then on certain days I pushed myself because I felt I'd be forever repeating the days I found easier.

one is 15 minutes jogging out of 21. The next is 16 minutes jogging out of 21.
    so its only 1 minute more jogging!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

fits wrote: »
    one is 15 minutes jogging out of 21. The next is 16 minutes jogging out of 21.
    so its only 1 minute more jogging!
    Agree totally. And it felt really good to acomplish the first 8 minute, then 10 minute, then 15 minute etc etc etc.

I jogged for 30 mins the other night! Which isn't world breaking but for me it is. I am on a journey to discover the skinny, healthy person inside of me. She's in there somewhere. But for someone who is ~123 kg (down from 142!), running for the bus was an issue - now it's not. Little steps. Lots done, more to do. But feeling good good good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's a great loss so far sullivlo, congrats :)

That's a great loss so far sullivlo, congrats :)
    Thanks. Hasn't been easy but I'm happy with my progress to date. Its just about kicking on and continuing to be healthy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I get to run two of my runs next week in the woods with a very energetic puppy! Yay! No hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Ran my first 5K yesterday. :)

Took 34 mins but I still call that a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Next one is 5 minute warm up walk, then:
    - 8 minutes jogging
    - 5 minutes walking
    - 8 minutes jogging

I just feel like it's a massive jump so I'm going to repeat day 1 tomorrow. I really don't feel like I'd be able for an 8 minute jog.

I did my 2 x 8 mins last night, it was weird, I didn't think I'd be able to finish the first one - right up to the very end of the 8 mins, and then the second 8 mins was much easier for some reason :) makes no sense really, I think I'll repeat it though before I move to the next one, and hopefully it will be better second time around.

@Dortilolma congratulations that is awesome :D hopefully I'll be where you are soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The more I read here I'm thinking I might give it a go.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The more I read here I'm thinking I might give it a go.. :o

I reckon you should give it a go, PP - trust the program, it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I did an hour run on Saturday and somehow managed to give myself a friction burn where my knickers meet my inner thigh. Its still a bit sore.

I was wearing a non cotton thong. Its never happened before - it was a particularly sweaty run on Saturday because I did it in the gym on the treadmill and it was warm in there plus I hadnt made the switch to more summery gear so I was in full length winter style running leggings.

Any tips to avoid such things?

Commando :pac:

(seriously)

Body Glide or Sports Shield helps too if you have a particular spot that's prone to chafing.

And you can get an anti-chaffing rub thingy: http://www.boots.ie/en/Lanacane-Anti-Chafing-Gel-30g_51067/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did an hour run on Saturday and somehow managed to give myself a friction burn where my knickers meet my inner thigh. Its still a bit sore.

I was wearing a non cotton thong. Its never happened before - it was a particularly sweaty run on Saturday because I did it in the gym on the treadmill and it was warm in there plus I hadnt made the switch to more summery gear so I was in full length winter style running leggings.

Any tips to avoid such things?

"Thong" + exercise makes me shudder

I wear full ones (must be cotton) from M&S for running in and never had an issue with them
    I did get a friction burn in a special soft material sleeveless top on my sunday 90 min jog :rolleyes:
    Might just have been funny running cos I haven't got them in ages since I changed what tops I use

As far as I know, chafing is caused my moisture build up combined with friction, so cotton actually isn't the best thing as it holds moisture. (I do wear it on short runs but not hiking or horse riding)

So its actually one case where synthetic might be better. I got a few pairs of 'active briefs' in the bargain bin in Patagonia and they are da bomb. Expensive at full price but never have a problem with them. Wont wear anything else hiking or long days in saddle now. M&S also do good vpl free pants which are also very comfy. (comfy knickers are very important to me!)

Also thongs... shudder... maybe its just my physical make up but they were designed to chafe imo.

Yeah I was deliberately wearing these because they are not cotton!

I don't own any non thong underwear, never been an issue before, maybe I need some full bum pants. Although it wasn't the thong bit that chafed, it was the middle of the gusset bit.

I don't actually know what mine are made of, I'll see can I find out on the website

Yeah they're the "cotton rich midis"
    Work for me anyway!
    I'd honestly say not the thongs though

I can't wear thongs exercising. Tear the bum off myself. I'm not the most fluid runner (think Phoebe in that episode of Friends!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

sullivlo wrote: »
    (think Phoebe in that episode of Friends!!)

that's how I describe my running "style" too lol glad I'm not alone ;) I were thongs when exercising, never had an issue (yet) hopefully will continue not to

Anyone know a good place to get running clothes that aren't pink? ethical brand would be a bonus.

I get mine on sports direct, love the capris and sleeveless tops, they do that good soft material

Anyone know a good place to get running clothes that aren't pink? ethical brand would be a bonus.

If they're not pink, they're purple!
    I don't care for either colour, so I end up wearing all black. I'm always looking for red women's running clothes, but I've not seen any yet (in shops, not online).

My shoes are blue and my watch is green. And I hate pink. :(

Winter gear is all black but I'll be in Ireland the next few weeks so lighter gear required.

Yay. I want some green stuff!

I'll be in Ireland the next few weeks so lighter gear required.
    Hope springs eternal :pac:

Thanks so much, but that isn't my thing - it's seems quite fussy to me: different coloured sleeves, short sleeves, v-neck! That's a lot going on.
    I end up just wearing normal t-shirts sometimes because running stuff is so...running-y looking!
    I'd love some really plain stuff.
    I'll post if I find some.

• Advertisement

quaalude wrote: »
    Thanks so much, but that isn't my thing - it's seems quite fussy to me: different coloured sleeves, short sleeves, v-neck! That's a lot going on.
    I end up just wearing normal t-shirts sometimes because running stuff is so...running-y looking!
    I'd love some really plain stuff.
    I'll post if I find some.

I like plain stuff too. I usually run in black Dunnes vest tops, they do a good quality basics range every year (around now actually) and I buy 7 or 8 of them.

For bottoms I use black running leggings that I bought on Amazon, the cheapest ones. In the summer I use a variety of short legged running leggings from Dunnes/LIDL - wherever.

I also wear More Mile long sleeve tops and zip up tops. Id wear zip tops from Dunnes too, they had a nice range last year and I got a few different colours.

Advertisement