Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

What exactly doesn't work ? Are the controls connected to player 1 harness ?

Up down left right and no buttons work.

So I have 18,19,20,21 connected to the joystick for up down left right. And grounds are all good with continuity.

In just testing before I put them all in the cab in the warmth of my house before I go to the cold man shed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

and the coin switch 16? or is it set to free play?
    DS2 3-on(freeplay)

and the coin switch 16? or is it set to free play?
    DS2 3-on(freeplay)

Yeah figured that coin switch wasn't connected correctly. It's has a white connector on it. See attached.
    Pardon my crude way of testing.

That 60 in 1 PCB Won't let you move joysticks or buttons until you coin up !

All good now, thanks Cathal.

In other news, got the Control Panel stripped. Really wanted to keep the Silverline artwork on it but it was wrecked. Also the old button locations didnt give me much option for 6 buttons per player. So have a new CP being made for €10.

Anyone know how I could get a replacement Silverline CP sticker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

finaly av moded my Famicom. some jail bars left but it's well manageable. I'll tinker a bit more to see if I can remove them some more.
    10484664_10152789047208276_3392919898049422474_n(1).jpg

Have to play it on a flatscreen though as my CRT TV monitor doesn't support NTSC. Anyone know where I could source a good monitor for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparently a CRT helps with that problem. When Myrddin modded my Famicom apparently it had jail bars on his LCD. However I've only used it with CRTs and haven't noticed any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Apparently a CRT helps with that problem. When Myrddin modded my Famicom apparently it had jail bars on his LCD. However I've only used it with CRTs and haven't noticed any at all.

Yep I remember that, the pics are in my sig somewhere. I got the jailbars reduced a lot in the end, but the crt seems to have taken care of the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

not worried to much about the jail bars, they'll go once I fine tune the mod, but I need to find an NTSC compatible TV. weren't most "modern" once compatible ?

Master of the Universe

They are indeed. Be worth picking up a later model Sony Trinitron.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The good brands seem to support it it. A good Philips or Sony will do the trick. Cheap ****e like a black diamond won't.

Slowly getting this Silverline back to its best.

Still monitor woes, closer though.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hrhiz9/8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

eddhorse wrote: »
    Slowly getting this Silverline back to its best.

Still monitor woes, closer though.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hrhiz9/8

What's up with the monitor edd? Did you make contact with gunblade/grantspain for advice and repair?

What's up with the monitor edd? Did you make contact with gunblade/grantspain for advice and repair?

Hey TF,

Yeah I sent the board to him, so it's better now.
    He recapped everything, added two pots that were broken.

I'm learning a lot.
    Had to turn down the screen voltage to fix that issue.
    http://tinypic.com/r/11rzxvt/8

Still a bit dim, and my greens are looking a bit yellow.
    Gunblade has been answering all my questions but a bit stumped now.

Any ideas?

Hey TF,

Yeah I sent the board to him, so it's better now.
    He recapped everything, added two pots that were broken.

I'm learning a lot.
    Had to turn down the screen voltage to fix that issue.
    http://tinypic.com/r/11rzxvt/8

Still a bit dim, and my greens are looking a bit yellow.
    Gunblade has been answering all my questions but a bit stumped now.

Any ideas?

If Grant has repaired the chassis and assuming it and the monitor are ok is it not just case of adjusting your brightness and colour settings?
    Have yet to follow this guide but surely worth a shot.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_Correctly_Set_Up_Monitor_Colours_and_Brightness

If Grant has repaired the chassis and assuming it and the monitor are ok is it not just case of adjusting your brightness and colour settings?
    Have yet to follow this guide but surely worth a shot.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_Correctly_Set_Up_Monitor_Colours_and_Brightness

Yep gone through that guide alright.
    I'm not defeated just yet. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow,
    May do a thread of the restoration process.

Any suggestions on button layouts?
    Im thinking a 6 button version of the sega layout.
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

Is that process easy enough to follow?

Yeah, if you're going six button that layout is standard enough

Is that process easy enough to follow?

Yeah, if you're going six button that layout is standard enough

Yeah standard process I guess, turn everything off and slowly turn them on in sequence.
    Slightly adjusting everything as you look at the screen with a mirror quickly educates you :)

Have a replacement metal CP ready to be drilled, €10 exact same shape and size as the last one

Corholio sent me his Snes to mod (Region mod, 50/60Hz mod, & cart slot mod). I'm not a fan of the cart slot mod, ever, but how & ever...

29mk3ef.jpg

2h4dlro.jpg

25pibd4.jpg

1hqkpl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I modded the cart slot on my spare SNES too, wouldn't do it on my minter though, cheaper than importing a US console.

Master of the Universe

Haha, you must have cried when doing that mod :D

How'd you cut the plastic back as a matter of interest?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha, you must have cried when doing that mod :D

Yeah not a big fan of the cart slot mod at all. It's a spare Snes though where aesthetics don't matter to Corholio so I said feck it, may as well.
    How'd you cut the plastic back as a matter of interest?

Strip down the top half of the shell, remove all the buttons so it's just the grey plate left. Mark it out against a US cart, & use a combination of a small hacksaw, a stanley knife & some fine sandpaper

• Advertisement

Nice work, I have a spare snes.
    Might get on this.

If I do the region mod, Can I then play NTSC on my PAL everdrive?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice work, I have a spare snes.
    Might get on this.

If I do the region mod, Can I then play NTSC on my PAL everdrive?

The everdrive should play ROMs from any region.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

1hqkpl.jpg
    Mother of god but he posted a picture of a Snes hooked up to a flat panel display and didn't beg forgiveness....
    What sort of A&R forum are we running here?
    Don't we have standards?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    The everdrive should play ROMs from any region.

Really.... Hmmm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    1hqkpl.jpg
    Mother of god but he posted a picture of a Snes hooked up to a flat panel display and didn't beg forgiveness....
    What sort of A&R forum are we running here?
    Don't we have standards?

I'm sure it was because we all knew that he was testing a modded snes , not for his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Evil Within was the biggest aspect ratio crime I'd see all month :'(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought Evil Within was the biggest aspect ratio crime I'd see all month :'(

Don't worry I don't play consoles on that tv...it was just the closest one to hand for testing purposes. I actually don't have any 4:3 or crt tv's set up at the moment for reasons of space saving...& as such, most of my retro collection is in storage for the time being.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    Don't worry I don't play consoles on that tv...it was just the closest one to hand for testing purposes. I actually don't have any 4:3 or crt tv's set up at the moment for reasons of space saving...& as such, most of my retro collection is in storage for the time being.

And the angled picture is also appreciated, gotta watch those reflections. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    And the angled picture is also appreciated, gotta watch those reflections. ;)

If this was NCIS we'd have his car reg and everything....
    Or maybe this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Myrddin wrote: »
    Corholio sent me his Snes to mod (Region mod, 50/60Hz mod, & cart slot mod). I'm not a fan of the cart slot mod, ever, but how & ever...

29mk3ef.jpg

2h4dlro.jpg

25pibd4.jpg

1hqkpl.jpg

Big thanks to Myrddin for doing this. Got it back today and it's great work. Enjoyed playing 'Captain Commando' today for first time in ages.

You could have left the Terranigma cart in if you wanted you know....just saying :pac::pac:

Advertisement