Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Hey guys;
    Does this under of a RAM chip look wasted? (in the center of the image)
    IMG_0287.jpg

Also; I'm new to the whole circuit board thing..

Is this cap blown?(the black one)
    IMG_0288.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I just turned on my Macintosh Classic for the first time in over a month and it boots fine without any issue.
    This is the same machine that was just showing the checker board pattern on power up a couple of months back(the same machine I did the dishwasher job on and also replaced the pram battery).

http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/9214-Apple-Macintosh-Classic-Risky-Repair-Job%28not-really%29

So, would this point to a capacitor issue? After 1/2/4 days of been power off it didn't work, but after a month it boots fine.

Any thoughts??

EnterNow, would you be able to replace the caps on this when we organise a time you can do all my other mods and stuff?

Edit:
    And now after powering down for a few mins and powering back up we are back to the checkerboard pattern and no boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    EnterNow, would you be able to replace the caps on this when we organise a time you can do all my other mods and stuff?

I don't see why not, add it to your list sure & when the time comes around we'll hammer out whats going ahead & source what we need. The board itself looks accessible so a cap replacement should be quite do-able :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    I don't see why not, add it to your list sure & when the time comes around we'll hammer out whats going ahead & source what we need. The board itself looks accessible so a cap replacement should be quite do-able :)

Cool.

Looking for recommendations for a great soldering iron kit(one that comes with everything a noob would need and maybe a bit extra).
    It would be used for fine soldering as well as larger stuff so not sure if these things have swappable heads or anything like that?? :confused::confused:

Also, anyone got any links where I can get some decent solder, not that eco rubbish that lasts about 5 mins. I'm looking for the enviro killer lead stuff :pac:

thank you very muchly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Looking for recommendations for a great soldering iron kit(one that comes with everything a noob would need and maybe a bit extra).
    It would be used for fine soldering as well as larger stuff so not sure if these things have swappable heads or anything like that?? :confused::confused:

Also, anyone got any links where I can get some decent solder, not that eco rubbish that lasts about 5 mins. I'm looking for the enviro killer lead stuff :pac:

thank you very muchly

Whats your budget for the solder iron?
    As for solder I'm using Radionics one:
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/0554923/

I tried few brands, from fleabay etc, but this stuff is just brilliant.

Don't forget to get good flux! Amtech is one of the best, but its hard to get genuine stuff online. Fleabay is full of counterfeit, out of date etc ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

thank you very muchly

I use Kester solder myself from the States, leaded goodness.

Ordered it from mouser though, and i think the minimum order is about 75 euro or dollars, but the shipping is free, and they pay customs duty for you.

As for a soldering Iron, if you want something real fancy, then the Hakko 936 from Japan is a beast.

I use a cheaper Hakko chinese clone myself, and I find it excellent.

Weller is a great german brand to go with.

The beauty of these Hakko clones, is that you can use the genuine Hakko tips in them also, although I have found the cheaper tips absolutely fine to use.

The particular model I have is the Atten 936b, and the price seems to have come down considerably, I payed between 50 and 60 euro at the time.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ATTEN-AT936b-50W-220V-SMD-Rework-Station-Welding-Soldering-Station-Solder-Irons-/290635896203

(ignore the SMD Rework in the title)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ATTEN-AT936b-Solder-Iron-Welding-Station-/380365780285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588f91353d#ht_714wt_1187

It appears there's a newer, more compact model called the 937b with the same Wattage, but with generally a much lower price even from UK sellers:

http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/atten-at937b-professional-50w-soldering-station.html

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Atten-AT937B-Professional-50W-Soldering-Station-/290684892307?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43ae2b7493

Btw you can go mad with the selection of tips for these babies also:

399-6.jpghakko%20replacement%20tip.jpg

docentore wrote: »
    Whats your budget for the solder iron?
    As for solder I'm using Radionics one:
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/0554923/

I tried few brands, from fleabay etc, but this stuff is just brilliant.

Don't forget to get good flux! Amtech is one of the best, but its hard to get genuine stuff online. Fleabay is full of counterfeit, out of date etc ones.

Budget for the soldering iron and maybe a few accessories would be a max of 100-150 Euro inc shipping. Something modern and not too bulking if possible but I see that some of the good ones do seem to come with bulking boxes attached to them so if that's the way it has to be then fine.

I'm open to suggestions whether getting a wireless one is worth it or not.

Budget for the soldering iron and maybe a few accessories would be a max of 100-150 Euro inc shipping. Something modern and not too bulking if possible but I see that some of the good ones do seem to come with bulking boxes attached to them so if that's the way it has to be then fine.

I'm open to suggestions whether getting a wireless one is worth it or not.

With that kind of a budget, you could try for a station that can power both a Soldering Iron and a desoldering iron with vacuum.

• Advertisement

Check out this fancy beast which is within your budget:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AOYUE-968-3in1-Repairing-System-Hot-Air-Soldering-Smoke-absorber-/330716181952?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4d003875c0

$(KGrHqR,!pgE9eG3UgLcBPhWzhqbdQ~~60_12.JPG

70W Soldering Iron, with mounted fume extractor above the tip,

and a hot air gun for reflowing SMT parts.

I reckon you would get more use from a soldering + desoldering station combo, than a hot air gun though.

Although maybe a hot air gun can be used for desoldering also, never tried one.

There's an even cheaper one here for 90 quid delivered:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Aoyue-906-SMD-Rework-Station-Desoldering-Tool-Diaphragm-pump-23l-min-/330716388337?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4d003b9bf1

Although this lacks the fume extractor and the iron only has 35W element according to amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Soldering-Rework-Station-Bonus/dp/B002NZYP38

The combos can take up quite a lot of desk space though.

Don't overcomplicate matter with these, every single thing in my sig, & any other soldering I've ever done in fact, has been done with either a wired Antek 15w and/or a 30w.

Good leaded solder & some flux, a good soldering iron cleaner too.

Anything else, for basic to moderate work, is a waste :)

I basically want an easy to use soldering iron kit for someone who hasn't done much soldering but is a quick learner.
    So if it has advanced features that make is easier then great, also if it has advanced features I might learn to use down the line then also great.

Are the wireless ones any good?

I basically want an easy to use soldering iron kit for someone who hasn't done much soldering but is a quick learner.
    So if it has advanced features that make is easier then great, also if it has advanced features I might learn to use down the line then also great.

I've only ever used a few butane wireless ones, preferred my €20 Antek to be honest. It's not as if I do micro-soldering, or advanced stuff. If you want a good iron, that's good for projects from console mods to every day electronics repairs...that's station based ones are overkill imo & may make picking up soldering harder than it would be otherwise.

My advice is to pick up a half decent 20w iron & go from there, if you find it's not versatile enough you can always upgrade :)

I wouldn't bother with anything wireless tbh.

There's nothing really advanced about the 936, it has a knob on it for temperature control, an LED to indicate when its finished heating up,
    and a calibration pot to get the temperature spot on with the dial

I have an Antex 25W Iron that I don't even use, and would never go back to,
    I just find a temperature controlled station much much easier to work with.

Then again I did buy the station for a project that required hundreds / thosands of joints.

waveform wrote: »
    I have an Antex 25W Iron that I don't even use, and would never go back to,
    I just find a temperature controlled station much much easier to work with.

Then again I did buy the station for a project that required hundreds / thosands of joints.

As I said though, for someone starting off it's ideal. It's only when you hit advanced projects like the one you mention that the need for something more versatile comes in.

The thoughts of sitting in front of a Megadrive to mod it with an advanced soldering rig is kinda laughable :p

Get a few different tips on it, for different types of jobs. It is basic, very basic...yet it handles anything I throw at it with ease. Look through my sig for the types of work I do with it...everything from padhacks to jamma related work.

If you feel you need more by all means get a rig, but to pick up the skill of soldering, I find those perfect

Get a few different tips on it, for different types of jobs. It is basic, very basic...yet it handles anything I throw at it with ease. Look through my sig for the types of work I do with it...everything from padhacks to jamma related work.

If you feel you need more by all means get a rig, but to pick up the skill of soldering, I find those perfect

Oh, so i can get different tips for it then?
    That's really what I want.

Oh, so i can get different tips for it then?
    That's really what I want.

Yep, there's different tips for the different models so just go onto the Antek site & make sure the tips match the type of iron. I've a selection of different tips, from a pin point to wide/flat. As I said, I learned on it & never really needed anything more advanced.

Sure the rig's have very nice temp control's etc...but for basic to mid level stuff, they're wasted.

• Advertisement

As I said though, for someone starting off it's ideal. It's only when you hit advanced projects like the one you mention that the need for something more versatile comes in.

The thoughts of sitting in front of a Megadrive to mod it with an advanced soldering rig is kinda laughable :p

The antex will be grand for console modding alright,

but this is Steve we're talking about,

you just know he's going to evolve to building all sorts of things from kits, and components! ;)

Especially with his programming skills, and the fact he has a Raspberry Pi that's mocking him with currently unused GPIO pins! :p

Why do you neglect us oh owner?

you just know he's going to evolve to building all sorts of things from kits, and components! ;)

I covered building an RGB circuit on proto board for Atavan's Famicom AV mod ;) The Pi too looks like Antek fodder to me also.

It's Steve for sure, that means he will pick up soldering fairly quickly with the Antek & then move on to bigger & better things. That's perfectly fine, I just think learning how to solder on an advanced rig will add complication to the learning process that isn't needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Done plenty of soldering in my time and the basic Antex 15W is fine for most electronics job. Just get a good selection of tips.

Get a a 30W iron or so for doing heavier jobs like reflowing large pools of solder,lifting IC's or tinning heavy gauge cables.

Gas/portable ones are for emergencies only when away for a main supply.

Right so I'll pick up that one from amazon with a few tips and a holder etc and start the learning process.

I usually pick things up quickly but soldering has never been my thing at all. I doubt I'll ever be great at it but if I can solder a few wires here and there it'll do me fine. I'll still be outsourcing my console mods as it's just to risky to feck some of those up with inexperience on the soldering front.

I have a few dead system boards from pc's here as well as a few other things I can play around with to get the basics down.

It's kind of funny, years ago I made a fair amount of money installing mod chips in the original xbox for modconsole.co.uk's Irish business but I never had to get the soldering iron out as it was all screw in chips I was using :rolleyes:

That's perfectly fine, I just think learning how to solder on an advanced rig will add complication to the learning process that isn't needed :)

Seriously! There's absolutely nothing advanced about a soldering iron with a temperature knob!

It just makes it far more versatile, for soldering / desoldering heat sensitive components, and getting the iron at a temperature you find soldering the easiest / more comfortable with!

Sure even lidl were doing a Parkside adjustable one for about 12 or 14 quid a while back, although the tips aren't great on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Seriously! There's absolutely nothing advanced about a soldering iron with a temperature knob!

It just makes it far more versatile, for soldering / desoldering heat sensitive components, and getting the iron at a temperature you find soldering the easiest / more comfortable with!

Sure even lidl were doing a Parkside adjustable one for about 12 or 14 quid a while back, although the tips aren't great on it.

I'm waiting myself for those Lidl yokes to come back. Missed it the other time, and I think I could use new solder iron myslef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. Looking fro some help with a game. Super Mario RPG for SNES. I cleaned the contacts about a year ago and was pretty sure it was working then. I just tried it there the other day and cannot get it to run at all. Just blue screen.

I opened it there now to maybe change the battery but it's soldered in place.

Anyway, didn't clean it again or anything but put it back in and it worked !

Saved a game quickly and turned off the SNES to test the battery. Now the game doesn't work again !? Pretty sure the contacts are clean. Could the battery cause the game not to run ?

brianon wrote: »
    Guys. Looking fro some help with a game. Super Mario RPG for SNES. I cleaned the contacts about a year ago and was pretty sure it was working then. I just tried it there the other day and cannot get it to run at all. Just blue screen.

I opened it there now to maybe change the battery but it's soldered in place.

Anyway, didn't clean it again or anything but put it back in and it worked !

Saved a game quickly and turned off the SNES to test the battery. Now the game doesn't work again !? Pretty sure the contacts are clean. Could the battery cause the game not to run ?

Yeah the battery holds the save data in memory, it's for sure a flat battery. There's a link in my sig that details what's involved in changing snes cart batteries

Edit - I doubt the battery would have anything to do with the game not turning on, but with this game I'm not sure. I know it has advanced region protection so, I suppose its possible. Chances are the contacts need a thorough cleaning with fluid though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I'm using a region modded US SNES with 50/60hz switch.

• Advertisement

brianon wrote: »
    I'm using a region modded US SNES with 50/60hz switch.

It should work fine then, provided your SNES is set to 60Hz. Contact issue on either the cart or the console itself I'd say. Clean the cart with rubbing alchohol & qtips

Advertisement