Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black taxi drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

your only noticing that because theres a lot more taxis on the road and they seem to be blacks more so than irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I don't really care. Same as I don't care about how alot of Chinese people work in the fast food industry, or Eastern Europeans in Spar. It shouldn't be a big deal at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I noticed this as well...

Right; i don't get into cabs driven by black men...
    95% of the time i do, the men hit on me, are rude to me when i don't give them my number and tell them i am not interested. And insult me because i date white men. It has happened to many a times and i don't bother anymore...
    Sometimes they take me the 'long' route; example: from my house to CFJ would cost me a tenner/less but with an African taxi driver it would cost me >€12(with no traffic) I always give the driver a tenner and tell him that he used the long route and i cannot justify paying him more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mr.S wrote: »
    every time that i've gotten a black taxi, he has no idea where to go. And i'm talking no clue what so ever. Irish taxis for me.

Ok.

Black Taxis are what they have in London.

What we're talking about are black taxi drivers. Please stop referring to them as black taxis. It's stupid.

Anyways - I find it hard to believe that every single black taxi driver you've gotten has no idea where to go. How many black taxi drivers have you had drive you? Where were you going? Did you explain where the place was when they said they didn't know it as you would with an Irish driver or did you just mutter about "them damn fordiners"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Not racist but black taxi drivers are ruining the country. From being uninsured, rude, taking longer more expensive routes and then expecting you to pay a lot more than it should cost. Ive heard so many stories at this stage about them locking their doors because they expect people to pay more cause they took a longer route and aswell.....i was talking to an irish taxi driver and he told me that 4 black people would use one car for 24 hours a day and only 1 has a licence and insurance.

• Advertisement

magicianz wrote: »
    Not racist but black taxi drivers are ruining the country.

Honestly? Seriously?

I could have sworn it was Fianna Fail that were charged with that particular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I usually only use black taxi drivers because most times you go up to the window and say "Can you bring me home for €3?" they nearly always accept

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I noticed this as well...

Right; i don't get into cabs driven by black men...
    95% of the time i do, the men hit on me, are rude to me when i don't give them my number and tell them i am not interested. And insult me because i date white men. It has happened to many a times and i don't bother anymore...
    Sometimes they take me the 'long' route; example: from my house to CFJ would cost me a tenner/less but with an African taxi driver it would cost me >€12(with no traffic) I always give the driver a tenner and tell him that he used the long route and i cannot justify paying him more.
    Have to say I agree with MIN2511, so many of the blaxi drivers just take the piss and pretend not to know where they're going. Once a driver didn't know where Clanbrassil St was, so after ten mins of driving around almost in a circle around Georges St area I told him to pull over and I got out. Was a total joke.

I'd say the black drivers vote no in Lisbon as well :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I eventually got a pain in the ring with the language barrier, loud music, always on their fvcking telephone during the entire journey, not knowing their way about Dublin etc, etc et-fvcking-c to the point that I will totally refuse to use a cab driven by a foreign national driver now.

Nothing to do with the colour of anyone's skin, I truely don't see a black man, or Asian etc and think they're any less a man than I - its more the colour of my money and the terrible, terrible service I've received in the past.

i was talking to an irish taxi driver and he told me that 4 black people would use one car for 24 hours a day and only 1 has a licence and insurance.

Thats only six hours per driver, they wouldn't make a penny.

I think your Irish driver was talking through his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

mikemac wrote: »
    Sorry but that's your fault. Nobody forces anyone to endure a taxi driver. If you talk (why talk to them unless it's directions :confused:) then to tell them to drive and you're in no mood for talking.
    Same goes for the radio, I get them to turn it down/off most times. The taxi should have a card and it mentions a "quiet and peaceful journey" or words to that affect. So speak up

As for the reason they are skipped.
    Irish drivers pass a garda vetting test but I'm sure there a few criminals driving taxis also, no system is perfect.
    If an applicant presents themself from Africa how exactly are the gardai going to do a background check?
    It's a new country and a new life and if they were a convicted criminal they certainly won't be telling the authorities here.

Check it out:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8107039.stm

My understanding is that these figures are pretty representative of sub-saharan africa as a whole and that it's even worse in some countries!

Now ask me who I'd want my 17-year-old daughter in a taxi with!!

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've had a couple, and bar 1 (because he had a GPS, he still had no idea where it was, i had to spell out the (very popular) street name.

I mean classic example, get into a taxi on O'Connell Street, tell the chap to bring me to Upper rathmines road (i mean ffs, its one of the main roads into the city centre from the south side, pritty much a straight road all the way) yet he had NO idea.

Always the same, I don't ask to be brought to complicated address, simple things! RDS in Ballsbridge for example, the guy had no clue where it was :rolleyes:

I've never had any taxi driver in Dublin not know where he was going. White, black or purple.

My anecdotal evidence is as good as anybody's.

I think your Irish driver was talking through his arse.

That's a very unusual thing for a taxi driver to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

as a taxi driver while not working, i notice alot of black taxi drivers crawling along hoping to get someone into there car, and turning in the street to drive past people. Sad tbh.

yeah, i've seen plenty of Irish drivers do that too.

some of the posts in this thread are pretty disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's a very unusual thing for a taxi driver to do. :)

At least the Irish driver does it in the Queen's English :D

At least the Irish driver does it in the Queen's English :D

I dunno could you call it that. I sometimes have a pretty hard time understanding the Irish taxi drivers myself. :D

I've never had any taxi driver in Dublin not know where he was going. White, black or purple.

It's happened to me two or three times. Once with an Irish lad and once with a black lad. Both times I explained where I was going and it was grand. Although a few years ago I was in an Indian/Pakistani guys taxi and it took a while to explain because his accent was so strong!

I get taxi's quite a bit too from nights out and poker during the week.

The vast majority of driver's are bang on. The amount of 'dickhead' drivers that people go on about is a total exaggeration. It's just like any other profession (besides politician ofc :)) - Most are grand, one or two are dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I'm a taxi driver myself (Irish) and it's insane the amount of people that skip "black" drivers on the rank and when hailing them down.
    I do feel awful when I see it happen but I suppose Irish people are like that.
    Maybe it's to do with different nationality being successfull
    Indeed. I was chatting to a pretty sound Irish taxi driver about this and he felt the same. The worst part he said was the fact that since legally he can't refuse a fare, when someone refuses to go with a black driver and gets into his car, he can't tell them to f off, much as he'd like to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 s14 silvia

Well been a taxi driver i find that impossable to beleave for a start lad:rolleyes:
    The buisness has been flooded in the last 2 years with immagrants, from my personal experiance a very high percentage are rude constantly on the phone aggresive and dont or pretend not to know where there going.. This is truth and nothing to do with there colour!!!!
    Also anyone like to tell me why they only appear at nite?

• Advertisement

s14 silvia wrote: »
    Well been a taxi driver i find that impossable to beleave for a start lad:rolleyes:
    The buisness has been flooded in the last 2 years with immagrants, from my personal experiance a very high percentage are rude constantly on the phone aggresive and dont or pretend not to know where there going.. This is truth and nothing to do with there colour!!!!

You're a taxi driver, how many taxis would you actually get? And how many of them would be from people other than mates?

You know, your fares going down in the last 2 years might have something to do with the auld recession. People don't have 20 euro to blow on a taxi every time they don't feel like waiting for a bus.

But no, it's obviously 'dem immagents'.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

They don't.
    That's Vampires your thinking of. Not a bad bunch of lads either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not racist but black taxi drivers are ruining the country. From being uninsured, rude, taking longer more expensive routes and then expecting you to pay a lot more than it should cost. Ive heard so many stories at this stage about them locking their doors because they expect people to pay more cause they took a longer route and aswell.....i was talking to an irish taxi driver and he told me that 4 black people would use one car for 24 hours a day and only 1 has a licence and insurance.
    I am not racist, but it makes sense to do this because Irish Taxi drivers are more likely to know the streets they have been living on for the last 20+ years.

"Im not a racist but...."

I find it sad that in a country where many generations of Irish emmigrants relied on the genourisity and welcome arms of other nations over the decades - USA, UK, Spain, Australia/New Zealand, many of us still spout this nonsense about so whimsically.

The above 2 posters as an example. So are you are saying is that you are not racist but you are going to make a massive generalised sweeping statement about people based on the colour of their skin?

Before the mass influx of of immigrants into Ireland occured, I can remember plenty of pub conversations about how awful taxi drivers were in Ireland. Overcharging, taking the pi$$ out of tourists, dodgy driving & routes and vehicles. It seems those myths exist, but only if you are black?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Is it true they get a grant to get a car?

I was out looking at cars recently and in one of the yards i was talking to the owner. One of the cars was an ex taxi and lead onto talking about taxis. He said he had a Ghanian chap in looking to buy both a car and plate off him the week previous. He said the fella came back a few days later with a cheque from the Eastern Health Board for 10k. He told the owner he got it to help him get on his feet and into work. How true this is i don't know. The owner wasn't saying it in any malicious way though so can't see why he'd be making it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mikemac wrote: »
    Irish drivers pass a garda vetting test but I'm sure there a few criminals driving taxis also, no system is perfect.
    If an applicant presents themself from Africa how exactly are the gardai going to do a background check?
    It's a new country and a new life and if they were a convicted criminal they certainly won't be telling the authorities here.
    IIRC when they first deregulated taxi's here 30% of the applicants had criminal records. Not all criminals have records.
    Didn't the Monk get a taxi license.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I was out looking at cars recently and in one of the yards i was talking to the owner. One of the cars was an ex taxi and lead onto talking about taxis. He said he had a Ghanian chap in looking to buy both a car and plate off him the week previous. He said the fella came back a few days later with a cheque from the Eastern Health Board for 10k. He told the owner he got it to help him get on his feet and into work. How true this is i don't know. The owner wasn't saying it in any malicious way though so can't see why he'd be making it up.

But why would it be a Healthboard cheque to start him on a career path?
    I find it hard to believe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

faceman wrote: »
    The above 2 posters as an example. So are you are saying is that you are not racist but you are going to make a massive generalised sweeping statement about people based on the colour of their skin?

There's a million miles of difference between magicianz's post and minidazzler's. One is the usual bull. The other actually does make sense if you stop to think about it and don't just see the words "I'm not a racist but...." as a red flag.

Some facts:
    Most people who have lived in Ireland for a long time are white skinned.
    Most black people in Ireland have not lived here a long time.
    People who have lived here a long time are more likely to know where they're going than people who haven't.

So it's reasonable and NOT RACIST to conclude that on balance, a white taxi driver is more likely to know their way around than a black taxi driver. It may be an uncomfortable fact for some people to deal with because there's colour involved but if you put those things aside you'll see it does make sense.

With all that said, I've never had to direct a taxi driver of any colour so the difference it makes is probably marginal. And with more regulation and testing and so many drivers now using sat navs, it will probably become a completely negligible difference before long.

tl;dr Not all generalisations even those based on skin colour are actually racist.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You're a taxi driver, how many taxis would you actually get? And how many of them would be from people other than mates?

NONE, i like to know who is bringing me home;)

You know, your fares going down in the last 2 years might have something to do with the auld recession. People don't have 20 euro to blow on a taxi every time they don't feel like waiting for a bus.

I dont remember saying anything about money here:P i do well and work hard for what i get, i did'nt say i dont make enough money or immagrints affect my earnings:rolleyes: and fares increased in the last 2 years please learn your facts and read posts properly before posting:p

Zadkiel wrote: »
    But why would it be a Healthboard cheque to start him on a career path?
    I find it hard to believe tbh.

Dont be so nieave, its comon knowledge and fact..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Dont be so nieave, its comon knowledge and fact..
    If it's a fact, it must be provable. So prove it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement