Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

• 10-03-2012 5:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This forum gets many posts seeking advice on purchasing a new camera and accessories. These posts are often along much the same lines and so the advice given out also tends to be similar.

There is already a lot of advice in the FAQ Thread where the first link is "What Camera should I buy?" This should be you first point of reference before posting. If you still have questions then see if an answer already posted here applies to you.

A few points to remember

The regulars here are not likely to be using Point & Shoot Cameras very often and as such will not be overly familiar with those type of cameras. They will still try to give advice but often that will be from reading reviews online and then passing on that information.

Many Photographers will be using a single system or brand. They will tend to be able to advise on that system but not as well on the others. Most will advise in which system they have familiarity.

System preference can become Tribal and advice can be sometimes not be impartial. It can be like asking someone wearing a Team Jersey which team is best. The reply can be predictable. This is not always the case with Cameras but is a factor to keep in mind.

Replies

Please quote the question which you are answering. If the question is long consider editing it down to make it more concise.

The previous posts in this thread can be found here

I don't know why I put up this post as those who read it are those who don't require the advice. The gormless will just plough on in, post and it will require a merge into this thread. Oh well, such is life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

What do you think of this camera?

Looking at getting one.

Does anybody have any knowledge of this camera like image quality,noise and other features?

Or are there other cameras that would be better than this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm heading to Tokyo soon and am going to get my first DSLR having tired of my limited bridge camera years ago.

Was thing of getting a Canon 600D which is about €450 over there. Would I better off just going the whole hog and getting a 60D which is just under €600?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my advice is save as much as you can and purchase two - (assuming they are much cheaper there compared to here/online) one to sell off and one to keep - this way you are purchasing yours for less and making a small profit on the unopened one.

* requires them to be sold over there much cheaper than the online price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

penev10 wrote: »
    I'm heading to Tokyo soon and am going to get my first DSLR having tired of my limited bridge camera years ago.

Was thing of getting a Canon 600D which is about €450 over there. Would I better off just going the whole hog and getting a 60D which is just under €600?
    Don't forget you may have to pay import taxes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Don't forget you may have to pay import taxes ;)
    It'll be the green aisle all the way for me mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 darren foran

hi can anybody recommend a wide angle lens for landscape photography ,im using a 400d and im an amateur thanks:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

i have the same camera and would love advise on this too...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

You can't go wrong with the Sigma "10-20"
    i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good dslr camera for approx €300. I know with this budget it will be second hand. It will be my first dslr and I just need a simple enough to use one with good results.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

do you NEED a DSLR ?

Why ? would a bridge camera be enough ?

(A bridge camera is a compact camera with adjustable settings like a DSLR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lots of good options on adverts.

Take a look within your price range.

Canon and Nikon will be the more popular, but great value and equally well capable cameras in the Sony, Olympus, and Pentax offerings (just not as popular).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd second the suggestion of a bridge camera unless you are ready to move to dslr, I had one for a few years before moving up and it gives more freedom in a lot ways due to size - I actually use my dslr a lot less then I did the bridge because of this.

Other then that adverts.ie does usually have a good selection of second hand cameras.

Good site also for looking at different models to compare new prices/specs www.jessops.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good dslr camera for approx €300. I know with this budget it will be second hand. It will be my first dslr and I just need a simple enough to use one with good results.

Thanks.

most digital dSLRs have full auto modes, as well as everything in between
    a second hand Canon 20d or 30d or the equivalent from nikon should set you back around €300 with a basic lens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I may be upgrading at some point in the future, so looking at either 7d or the 5d mkii (can't quite stretch to the iii unfortunately), any opinions? Im leaning toward the 5d due to it being full frame and that I've had a feel of one of lately and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Right finally dipping my toe in the world of DSLR photography, I've been looking at the D3100, 1100d and Pentax K-R and with each review I read of them I find it harder to choose! I don't particularly care about video capture, any thoughts/suggestions?

Budget would be around €600 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Recently bought a Nikon D80 and i have a small wide angle lens. I'm looking to get into motorsport photography, rallys, trackdays etc. just wondering could anyone recommend a good lens for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Hi all,

I picked up a 600D about a month ago now, and I've a few quid left in my budget to pick up a better quality lens. Thing is, I'm shooting 90% video at the moment, so I'm looking for something that would be either a big upgrade over what I have, or a good complement.

I'm working with a 50mm 1.8, 18-55 kit lens and the matching 55-250. I have no complaints about the results but at the same time the only lenses I've used that might be better are OM fits, and they're not a major upgrade, if at all. I can see the 50mm is a step up from the kit lens, but would spending €5-600 be a huge leap in quality? I was thinking something with a fixed aperture like the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8. The 50mm is the only lens I can reasonably use in low light video, so having a zoom for those situations would be nice

But would I maybe be better off with something like the tokina 11-16mm as a complement to give me more options on top of what I have, or even investing in an old lens or two and adapters? Manual focus only is fine for video so I might get more out of my money that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

My Sony Digital Camera is on the way out, optical zoom doesn't work anymore after dropping it.

So I'm looking for advice on a good value digital compact camera. My budget is €120 but I would stretch it a bit if someone was to point me in the direction of a serious bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

boobar wrote: »
    So I'm looking for advice on a good value digital compact camera. My budget is €120 but I would stretch it a bit if someone was to point me in the direction of a serious bargain.

Canon PowerShot SX130 IS €122.99 Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

While I'm asking questions... :P

Girlfriend is after a camera that can shoot video, but a 550 or 600D is a bit out of her price range, and she wants fully manual control of exposure and focus.

Any recommendations for a bridge camera maybe that could shoot 1080p with manual controls? I'm finding it really hard to find out which cameras are manual, which probably means most aren't. And how would the video compare with a 600d, would she be better off waiting and saving for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

anyone got one of these?

Thinking about purchasing it and just was looking for advice or hearing about it from those who own one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about which is a better camera, I'm a newbie at this so forgive my ignorance please

As I'm just getting started on stills my budget is around €200 so I've narrowed it down to these two

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5597374.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5596007/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+COOLPIX+L120.htm

I was going to buy a sony a330 2nd hand but it had 45,000 clicks on it & I read a review that it was past it's prime then so I thought I'd go with a cheaper new camera to start

What I want it for is some close up shots with blur in the background, some shots of the night sky (Moon, etc) & the usual just taking better pictures than with my Fuji finepix Z or my Sony HDR-HC7

I read through the "What camera to buy" in the sticky but it didn't really answer my question so I hope asking this here is ok ? if not please delete

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Forget those tatty dslr wannabe's. Youll hate yourself. Buy this, or check out other deals on adverts: http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-350d-big-pack-mega-deal/1483228

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Dont but a bridge camera The 350D pointed out to you is a good buy. I started out with one, it is a good camera and will give you great results. Ad to that the extra lens and a tele converter youll be able to do moon shots. Make sure you get all the cables and disks that go with it, especialy the hand book. Read it and go out and shoot away, youll learn that way. Read the camera mags and keep them, youll find youll go back to them over again. There is one especialy for canon cameras, with a disk, its good. good luck, any advice needed, contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Thank you mlumley & BlastedGlute, So the advice is to stay away from both those cameras & try to get a good 2nd hand DSLR, & to loosen the budget a bit... or offer €200 for the 350D :eek:

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Thinking about getting this camera:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MPQXZA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&psc=1

Any advice you could give me? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I went for the Nikon D3100 and am finding it brilliant. Nikon had an update on fbook/twitter earlier in the week about a new cash back offer on the D3100 and other models. Might be something to consider.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon_D3100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a present for someone who is mad into their photography. I know she has a Canon 500D, and only one lens, so I was thinking of getting her a new lens. The trouble is I know absolutely nothing about camera lenses! Would there be any lenses for €100 or less which would offer any improvement over the (standard?) lens she has already got?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get a present for someone who is mad into their photography. I know she has a Canon 500D, and only one lens, so I was thinking of getting her a new lens. The trouble is I know absolutely nothing about camera lenses! Would there be any lenses for €100 or less which would offer any improvement over the (standard?) lens she has already got?

Cheers!

I assume she just has the basic kit lens? A lot of people seem to recommend 50mm prime lenses, I've no experience with them myself but I don't think you have many other options at that price range. I'm sure the regulars here can give you further advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cheers!

As Zero said your best/only real option is the Canon 50mm f1.8. Cracking lens for 100 bucks!

Advertisement