Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Focus Economy

• 24-01-2012 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has one of the new Ford Focus' and can comment on the economy of the car.
    I have just about 2000 km on my new Focus (1.6 TDCi engine). I am doing 6.2 l / 100km which is about 45 MPG.
    This is way above what Ford adveristed, which is a combined cycle of 4.5 l / 100km. The drive system is telling me I'm doing everything right for good ecomony.
    I have gone back to the dealer about this, but would like to hear how others are doing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are you just looking at the trip computer or have you actually measured the fuel consumption from tank to tank? What kind of driving do you do? It's very rare for cars to achieve the manufacturer stated fuel consumption in real life as the cars are tweaked for the test.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

phoenixy2k wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has one of the new Ford Focus' and can comment on the economy of the car.
    I have just about 2000 km on my new Focus (1.6 TDCi engine). I am doing 6.2 l / 100km which is about 45 MPG.
    This is way above what Ford adveristed, which is a combined cycle of 4.5 l / 100km. The drive system is telling me I'm doing everything right for good ecomony.
    I have gone back to the dealer about this, but would like to hear how others are doing

Not sure if I'd believe what ford say. Are their figures accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phoenixy2k

I'm measuring the distance travelled versus the litres used to get the tank bank to full and it seems pretty accurate so far.
    While I wouldn't expect to achieve the stated figures, I thought I would be closer much closer.
    I'm doing about 90 km a day, half motorway, half city driving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Both not ideal, the city economy would definitely bring it down from the advertised economy and motorway spins at 120kph wouldn't be optimum either. Whats the instantaneous mpg at say, 100kph on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

phoenixy2k wrote: »
    That is quite bad. I get very same, or slightly better fuel economy, when driving a 15-year old 1.5 petrol engined Honda.
    Your poor figures may be resulted by your driving style.
    Do you travel long-ish trips regularly or most of your driving is short start-stops?
    What town do you drive in and at what speed you drive on the motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm running a 2011 115bhp 1.6 TDCI, and drive a mixture of A roads, urban trips and motorways.

I'm getting 52.9mpg over almost 18500 kms on the computer, which I reckon isn't bad because I drive quickly enough at times.

Maybe the onboard reading isn't too accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's a new engine, it should improve as it runs in. In saying that city driving is what is more than likely killing you. Time spent sitting in traffic, constant acceleration and deceleration uses a lot of fuel.

You're measuring it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A new engine takes a bit of time to break in, it will get more frugal as the miles gather. Also manfucaturer's stated figures are not real world figures, they are loose marketing figures so take them with a grain of salt.

My advice is give it time.

Advertisement