Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dell XPS Desktop 8300, i7-2600 3.40GHz, 12GB ram, 1.5TB HDD, W7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PaddyM7

I have a bluray drive that I was going to put into the spare drive slot, and yes, a few luddites still use optical media! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

PaddyM7 wrote: »
    I have a bluray drive that I was going to put into the spare drive slot, and yes, a few luddites still use optical media! :D

The graphics card already in place will be fine for anything except gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Jaafa wrote: »
    The graphics card already in place will be fine for anything except gaming.

Yes, but I doubt that most people would ever really need the power of a system like that for anything else but gaming :) Don't get me wrong, this is a really good machine at a very fair price and I don't want to take anything away from that. But I really asked myself whether I would be able to do anything with that system I couldn't do with my current setup, and since I don't play any modern games my answer was no. And that is remarkable, since I am using a Revo 3610 dual core atom I bought after a BA just a year ago. This thing has clocked up more than 3500 hours by now (you can find that out by using CrystalDiskInfo) and I still think the power of it is more than sufficent for practically everything I do including video conversion (which I do a lot of). The power consumption of the Revo including a G2222HDL 21,5"-display should be well below 40 watts at almost all times, whereas the core i7 together with a decent graphics card would certainly pull above 200 watts even at idle and easily twice that at full throttle, plus any peripherals you might use. Most of what you can possibly do with a pc apart from gaming and some special cases of video editing (not conversion) does not require to be done in real time, so power doesn't matter at all. Personally I would not want to use a power hog like that for web surfing, editing documents or watching movies, since there will be a steep tax on that compared to a more frugal system. But then again, I drive a three cylinder corsa and find it more than adequate for Irish roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PaddyM7

would this really use that much power idle with the current graphics card. I would have thought it would only use 60 - 100watts idle and 200-250 at full tilt? I am open to correction thought I am no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

PaddyM7 wrote: »
    would this really use that much power idle with the current graphics card. I would have thought it would only use 60 - 100watts idle and 200-250 at full tilt? I am open to correction thought I am no expert

Well, I might have to correct myself with the idle power, you are right. I just found a review of the XPS8300, which concludes that "When completely powered off, the 8300 draws 1.2 watts, which spikes at 219 on boot. At an idle Windows desktop, which is how most desktops spend their waking lives, the XPS 8300 pulls down a surprisingly scant 64 watts of electricity. Under load, we managed to suck up 355W."
    So your number for idle is quite close to the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Thanks OP. I ended up ordering an Alienware Aurora and both codes worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Woohoo, my desktop has been shipped according to the Dell website, hopefully will be here by the end of the week! Ordered it on 6/1 (that was my 2nd order, ordered it initially on 4/1 but cancelled that order the following day to take advantage of the improved build). Anyone else expecting their desktop soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

ionapaul wrote: »
    Woohoo, my desktop has been shipped according to the Dell website, hopefully will be here by the end of the week! Ordered it on 6/1 (that was my 2nd order, ordered it initially on 4/1 but cancelled that order the following day to take advantage of the improved build). Anyone else expecting their desktop soon?

ordered my basic build on the 5th and still in production, you must have used the skip the queue code,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Quaderno wrote: »
    Yes, but I doubt that most people would ever really need the power of a system like that for anything else but gaming :) Don't get me wrong, this is a really good machine at a very fair price and I don't want to take anything away from that. But I really asked myself whether I would be able to do anything with that system I couldn't do with my current setup, and since I don't play any modern games my answer was no. And that is remarkable, since I am using a Revo 3610 dual core atom I bought after a BA just a year ago. This thing has clocked up more than 3500 hours by now (you can find that out by using CrystalDiskInfo) and I still think the power of it is more than sufficent for practically everything I do including video conversion (which I do a lot of). The power consumption of the Revo including a G2222HDL 21,5"-display should be well below 40 watts at almost all times, whereas the core i7 together with a decent graphics card would certainly pull above 200 watts even at idle and easily twice that at full throttle, plus any peripherals you might use. Most of what you can possibly do with a pc apart from gaming and some special cases of video editing (not conversion) does not require to be done in real time, so power doesn't matter at all. Personally I would not want to use a power hog like that for web surfing, editing documents or watching movies, since there will be a steep tax on that compared to a more frugal system. But then again, I drive a three cylinder corsa and find it more than adequate for Irish roads...

Hey, thanks for the info on crystaldiskinfo program. I too have ordered this system and just for pig-iron I installed the program to see how may hours I've run up on the old Dell Dimension - wait for it.........................................................46405!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

ionapaul wrote: »
    Lucky you, I bought mine via VISA card on Jan 6th and I still dont have an order number :(
    All i have is Dell Order Acknowledgement - Internet Receipt Number :(
    I rang Visa and they said everything ok with them, problem or slowness on Dell side if they havent issued me a Order Number because they are waiting for transaction to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

kingaaa wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the info on crystaldiskinfo program. I too have ordered this system and just for pig-iron I installed the program to see how may hours I've run up on the old Dell Dimension - wait for it.........................................................46405!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Thats 5.5 years of constantly being on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Lucky you, I bought mine via VISA card on Jan 6th and I still dont have an order number :(
    All i have is Dell Order Acknowledgement - Internet Receipt Number :(
    I rang Visa and they said everything ok with them, problem or slowness on Dell side if they havent issued me a Order Number because they are waiting for transaction to clear.

You can check the progress with the Internet Receipt Number and your email address. I've often had orders go through without receiving any order number or order confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You can check the progress with the Internet Receipt Number and your email address. I've often had orders go through without receiving any order number or order confirmation.
    that didn't work. Good news, after I posted here I sent Dell a feedback message and in the last 30 mins I have an order number and it said my system will be delivered next monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thats 5.5 years of constantly being on:eek:

I thought I was bad with 33169 hours on the internal, and 27008 on the external :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

So tempting... Was toying with the idea of upgrading everything but my graphics card (best component in current pc), and getting a cheap graphics card to throw into the old pc for media. This would get both birds stoned at once...

No absolute need for it at present though. Guess ill be better served waiting as long as I possibly can.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Mine marked as shipped on website too. I did not receive an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Zab wrote: »
    Mine marked as shipped on website too. I did not receive an email.

ditto

Has anybody got there system yet? I'm curious whether there is a single 1.5tb drive or a 1tb + a 500gb? Hopefully its a 1.5tb.

Unfortunately the site is pretty clear that it's 1TB + 500GB.

Unfortunately the site is pretty clear that it's 1TB + 500GB.

That's a pity, but that still leaves a free drive-bay,right?

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware there's just 2x3.5 bays and 2x5.25 bays, so in this configuration you'd have to stick a third HD in the 5.25 inch bay. I'll confirm when it gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could sell the second drive to get some of your money back. There's a shortage at the moment so there's good demand.

According to my order status the order will take a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

HovaBaby wrote: »
    I ordered a 14z laptop and have to wait 3 weeks. Would be nice of them to let you know when your ordering!!

As far as I'm aware there's just 2x3.5 bays and 2x5.25 bays, so in this configuration you'd have to stick a third HD in the 5.25 inch bay. I'll confirm when it gets here.

Strange, I got onto the Dell chat and asked a rep, they said there were three drive bays!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

HovaBaby wrote: »

I ordered mine Yesterday, the 9th.
    My delivery date expected is quoted as the 17th of Jan....
    Interesting.

Tradnuts wrote: »
    I ordered mine Yesterday, the 9th.
    My delivery date expected is quoted as the 17th of Jan....
    Interesting.

I made one change from the default machine. I choose the GTX 580 as the graphics card, so that made my computer "custom made". I hope that is not the reason for the delay compared to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Maybe it is the reason for the delay,
    Mine is a 100% standard model, i have a nice graphics card already to put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Tradnuts wrote: »
    i have a nice graphics card already to put into it.

What one would that be ? Source ? Price ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tobingj

Anyone got found a similar offer or new link to a decent spec machine.

Current one is 6gb ram
    And 1TB hd.

Cheers,

Advertisement