Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

allydylan wrote: »
    arrrgggghhhhh! just cracked a bone in my neck [nothing serious] but so painful
    Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭apache

I just think it's a little unfair and it does annoy me when people say it.

If any of you knew me, you'd know I'm probably one of the most down to earth grateful people there is. I'm grateful to have a roof over my head, food to eat, and getting a good education. Also grateful to have a job. I had one for 5 years before recently being let go earlier this year. I worked damn hard at that job for very little pay and was treated like sh1t by the boss (which is fair enough and I'm not complaining about that job).

When I got let go I didn't laze about and b1tch and moan nor did I go on the dole. I spent every day looking for a new job. Have just started one now and I hate it.

It just annoys me when people say 'you're lucky to have a job' when you complain legitimately about an aspect of it.

It's like someone complaining there's flies in their food and someone responding 'oh be grateful you have food' :rolleyes:
    i totally agree! i'm pissed off in my job. the running joke here is "you're lucky to have a job" we rib eachother over it.
    i have never been out of work in all my years. there is jobs there if people want them.
    it took me 4 years of endless interviews and aptitude tests to get where i am. am i special? bet your bottom dollar i ain't. in all my years on this planet i have never ever been on the dole.
    i'd love to kick back and relax and grumble about the state of the economy.
    i worked all menial jobs to get me where i am today with my property etc.

what annoys me is funding these people through my taxes on medical card benefits and the dole etc.

i'm paying for your justification!

you know what? better off going on the dole. you would would have more disposible income if you were on the dole. :mad:

i am fed up of funding the dole.

and you know what? before you all descend and give me evils that is my last post here. bet some people are happy! i can't be bothered. you all live in la la land!

when a person is working their guts out day in day out and has less disposible income than those on the dole questions need to be asked. but they won't.

its a total farce!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah yeah - dole is a choice that people make :rolleyes: and there are hundreds of thousands of jobs just waiting to be filled :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah yeah - dole is a choice that people make :rolleyes: and there are hundreds of thousands of jobs just waiting to be filled :rolleyes:
    i just walked there through georges st/ dame st tonight. a few cafes/ wine bars advertising for staff. is it beneath you to work these jobs? bet you are better off on the dole!
    that is the reality. i can get you a job tomorrow!

• Advertisement

no comment? indeed because it pays to be on the dole!
    i will get get anyone here a job tomorrrow. but the dole is lucrative.

shame on our country and all the parasites feeding off it.

and i for one am pissed off paying huge taxes for people like you to sit on their hole all day. maybe try a college course? give you something to do - the eternal student!

have a bit of back bone and comment when i am online. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

apache wrote: »
    it took me 4 years of endless interviews and aptitude tests to get where i am. am i special? bet your bottom dollar i ain't. in all my years on this planet i have never ever been on the dole.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How can you have done 4 years of interviews and aptitude tests yet never been unemployed?

Also, some people are over qualified for working in bars. They wont employ someone with a masters in engineering or whatever in mcdonalds. Trust me. I came out of TCD in the HEIGHT of the boom and I must have sent out 500 cvs in the space of 6 months that I was claiming. Everywhere that was a shop or a cafe or a fast food place wouldn't touch me because I was overqualified. (I was told that)

Don't assume everyone who is claiming benefits is lazy or not trying. My GF has been trying to get a job for nearly a year. Sends out 10 cvs a week (at the very least), has done unpaid internships, volunteered with numerous groups, and set up blogs in her area of interest to see if that would give her an edge. It hasn't.

You have a job, bully for you. You need to get off your high horse and realise that for some people, it isn't as easy to come by, nor as easy to keep. You might loose your job tomorrow, and I doubt you' find it easy to get another one with out claiming benefits for some time.

Oh, and by the way, people who are claiming benefits are getting BACK the money they already paid in in tax & PRSI over the years of working, or their parents. YOU aren't paying for my GF to get her measley money that barely pays off her student loan that she still has.

Edit; Most people don't wait up online just to reply to you. Why should they have to reply while you're online? God.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How can you have done 4 years of interviews and aptitude tests yet never been unemployed?

Also, some people are over qualified for working in bars. They wont employ someone with a masters in engineering or whatever in mcdonalds. Trust me. I came out of TCD in the HEIGHT of the boom and I must have sent out 500 cvs in the space of 6 months that I was claiming. Everywhere that was a shop or a cafe or a fast food place wouldn't touch me because I was overqualified. (I was told that)

Don't assume everyone who is claiming benefits is lazy or not trying. My GF has been trying to get a job for nearly a year. Sends out 10 cvs a week (at the very least), has done unpaid internships, volunteered with numerous groups, and set up blogs in her area of interest to see if that would give her an edge. It hasn't.

You have a job, bully for you. You need to get off your high horse and realise that for some people, it isn't as easy to come by, nor as easy to keep. You might loose your job tomorrow, and I doubt you' find it easy to get another one with out claiming benefits for some time.

Oh, and by the way, people who are claiming benefits are getting BACK the money they already paid in in tax & PRSI over the years of working, or their parents. YOU aren't paying for my GF to get her measley money that barely pays off her student loan that she still has.

Edit; Most people don't wait up online just to reply to you. Why should they have to reply while you're online? God.
    i done it while i was working. its quite easy to do! :rolleyes:

please don't tell me to get off my high horse. i never owned one!

thats bollix re people being over educated. needs must. appreciate that. i worked in all the lowly jobs - i know the criteria. your perceptions are null and void. i think you spend too much time on the internet researching stuff. maybe live in the real world? i think you are full of bull****. you did not send your cvs out to cafes etc. you would never do that - that is below you!
    i know for a fact that these cafes/bars would take people on if they were decent. they don't care about overqualifications. who cares? if you can serve the general public that is all that matters.

bully for me for having a job? why thank you! its just simple econonics- work up. its called sweat and blood to get me where i am today so i don't need a pat on the back from you!

enjoy college - because thats all it is at the end of the day.

if you or your girlfriend want a job in a cafe/bar please contact me. i will put my money where my mouth is. i have friends who are the owners and its all new to them and me re being overqualified. thanks!

oh gosh i nearly forgot i got a job to go to tomorrow at 5am! bad lesbian!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Ok I'm going to weigh in here as somebody who went about things in the manner apache did. I started at the very bottom collecting glasses in nightclubs and worked my way up double jobbing to getting myself qualified and now being the manager and health professional of three successful sister companies due to my knowledge of the business and the lowly work I did along the way to get to where I am.
    However.
    While there are a number of people who won't apply for jobs that are "below" them, I believe that 60%-70% of people are. And i do believe that they are over qualified for positions they apply for and that's the reason they are still in the position of seeking employment.
    I believe this as our new companies coming on board meant that we had positions available. For the position of my secretary, two nurses, a graphic designer, an architect and an engineer were among the applicants as well as other professionals. While I understand that they are unemployed and also require a chance to get back on the ladder, you can be certain that they will continue to seek employment in their chosen profession and rightly so. But in a few months or a year they'll get the job they deserve and I'm back to square one with a vacant position and needing to get somebody new trained in.
    If you have a position for a secretary, you employ a secretary. You don't employ the architect because he was the first to drop his cv.
    If you take a walk through georges arcade in two weeks those positions will be filled and just because you can get baby crumbles gf a job in a cafe doesn't mean shes not looking there. You're getting her that job because YOU know people, you're calling in a favour, not because people are prepared to hire over qualified people for jobs.
    I will happily concede that they are many thousands of people sitting pretty on the dole because it's easy money and the additional benefits make it worth while, but you cannot tar everybody with the same brush.
    One of my siblings has been working since he was 15 and despite sending out over 40 cvs a week for the last two years (I know this because he comes to use my pc) he has yet to be offered a permanent job. Working is his life, he loves to be doing something but the reality is, the job Market is fierce.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

and you know what? before you all descend and give me evils that is my last post here. bet some people are happy! i can't be bothered. you all live in la la land!
    Clearly it wasn't your last post because you couldn't leave the argument well alone after that.
    have a bit of back bone and comment when i am online. thanks!
    You posted this after 1am. Some people need their sleep.

If you cannot be civil to others, do not post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

aw no, ryan turbidy is back on 2fm after his holidays :(

i done it while i was working. its quite easy to do! :rolleyes:

please don't tell me to get off my high horse. i never owned one!

thats bollix re people being over educated. needs must. appreciate that. i worked in all the lowly jobs - i know the criteria. your perceptions are null and void. i think you spend too much time on the internet researching stuff. maybe live in the real world? i think you are full of bull****. you did not send your cvs out to cafes etc. you would never do that - that is below you!
    i know for a fact that these cafes/bars would take people on if they were decent. they don't care about overqualifications. who cares? if you can serve the general public that is all that matters.

bully for me for having a job? why thank you! its just simple econonics- work up. its called sweat and blood to get me where i am today so i don't need a pat on the back from you!

enjoy college - because thats all it is at the end of the day.

if you or your girlfriend want a job in a cafe/bar please contact me. i will put my money where my mouth is. i have friends who are the owners and its all new to them and me re being overqualified. thanks!

oh gosh i nearly forgot i got a job to go to tomorrow at 5am! bad lesbian!

You know something? I would love to go into your 'argument' piece by piece, but tbh it's not worth my time. But as to the part I highlighted- you don't know me. You have no idea what I have worked in to put myself through my education. I worked ALL through my degree and my masters. And guess what I worked as? A care worker for people with disabilities, in which daily jobs ranged from personal care and toileting, to calming down a 20 stone man who was trying to hit me with a shovel. Is that 'beneath' college graduates? I don't even know what that means. I'd like to see you doing that. I won a scholarship for my PhD. Don't you DARE assume anything about me. Just because you appear to have some huge chip on your shoulder about people in college, don't take it out on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

@apache - seriously what is your problem?

I agree that SOME people are on the dole by choice because they are too lazy to get out and try find a job. But the majority are working their asses off trying to find a job and can't find one. Think you need to open your eyes and realise we're in a recession! There ARE jobs out there but it certainly isn't as easy as you make it out to be to find one.

I don't know what's made you so angry at everyone but I think you need to relax. As has been pointed out, people claiming benefits are claiming back tax and PRSI through years of working. That's only fair. They have every right to claim benefits if they're unfortunate enough to be out of work.

Most places are reluctant to employ someone who is overqualified. And that doesn't mean they're too smart to clean tables for example ! It means that If a candidate is qualified in accounting and their work history has been primarily in that career track, they know if they hire them they will more than likely jump ship as soon as they can. Leaving the employer in need of staff once more. Recruiting (and training if needed) are costly. So it's not merely an excuse.

And no - I'm not on the dole myself. Nor is everyone that understands the above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Aishae wrote: »
    Most places are reluctant to employ someone who is overqualified. And that doesn't mean they're too smart to clean tables for example ! It means that If a candidate is qualified in accounting and their work history has been primarily in that career track, they know if they hire them they will more than likely jump ship as soon as they can...

I had went on a job interview for some pretty minial job stacking plastic. We discussed my qualifications in Engineering and they told me openly, given my past experience in Industrial plants I would be suited to the job, but they were afraid I'd be gone again in 6 months putting them back in the same position. The fact that my brother worked in that exact plant I had applied to had zero bearing on whether I'd get the job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

On another note. I have mixed news. Have to cancel my endo appointment due to family complications >:( and I have another jon interview Saturday in Galway which may solve alot of my problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

To weigh into this debate on one point that hasn't been made, I'd love to know what you think of a society that doesn't look after those who are struggling? Do you think those who cannot work, and I don't mean those who don't want to or those who currently can't find work, should simply be discarded? Or should it be that they should expect to live below the poverty line? We have people in our society, who I believe we have a duty of care towards, who cannot contribute to economic life, either on a short term or long term basis. Do we simply ignore them?

To weigh into this debate on one point that hasn't been made, I'd love to know what you think of a society that doesn't look after those who are struggling? Do you think those who cannot work, and I don't mean those who don't want to or those who currently can't find work, should simply be discarded? Or should it be that they should expect to live below the poverty line? We have people in our society, who I believe we have a duty of care towards, who cannot contribute to economic life, either on a short term or long term basis. Do we simply ignore them?

Baby may better be able to discuss the issue, but to answer your question, no the vulnerable should certainly not be disgarded. Consessions should be made for people incapable of working regardless of the financial strain on the Country.

As for those on the dole, there appears to many claiming sick/disability benefits and are fully capable of working. I don't understand why people don't report fraud more often given our circumstances even though reports of fraud has gone up since the recession has hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Baby may better be able to discuss the issue, but to answer your question, no the vulnerable should certainly not be disgarded. Consessions should be made for people incapable of working regardless of the financial strain on the Country.

As for those on the dole, there appears to many claiming sick/disability benefits and are fully capable of working. I don't understand why people don't report fraud more often given our circumstances even though reports of fraud has gone up since the recession has hit.

I agree with you ITMA, I suppose I sould have addressed my post to the earlier poster.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/25-idiots-that-blamed-hurricane-irene-on-gay-marri

Seriously, they're blaming Hurricane Irene on gay marriage in NYC.

TBH though most of the comments aren't English, I'm pretty sure. Especially no 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Mine were of my intestine so that's why I had to drink it. First time was only two cups due to me being so thin. Last time I had to drink 'as much as you can' of a jug of it so basically the whole thing. They mix it with mi wadi but it makes no difference.

Was it an MRI or a CT Scan you where having?

While Contrast (or dye's) are common in CT, both Oral anniseedy tasting stuff and Iodine based injections, they are use less frequently with MRI.

kiwipower wrote: »
    Mine were of my intestine so that's why I had to drink it. First time was only two cups due to me being so thin. Last time I had to drink 'as much as you can' of a jug of it so basically the whole thing. They mix it with mi wadi but it makes no difference.

Was it an MRI or a CT Scan you where having?

While Contrast (or dye's) are common in CT, both Oral anniseedy tasting stuff and Iodine based injections, they are use less frequently with MRI.
    They always hive me dye for both. The few times they tried a brain MRI without it they had to pull me out after a minute to inject contrast.
    Must depend on what part of the body they're scanning.

As an aside - I know MRI scans are supposed to be more detailed than a ct but ct shows bone better. Ive seen both scans. With the MRI it looks like a pile of blobs, the ft looks clearer and defined to me. I'm not a doctor but it makes me wonder how the heck they can READ the MRI. My head looks like Swiss cheese!

On second thoughts, maybe my brain really is that holey :p

They always hive me dye for both. The few times they tried a brain MRI without it they had to pull me out after a minute to inject contrast.
    Must depend on what part of the body they're scanning.

As an aside - I know MRI scans are supposed to be more detailed than a ct but ct shows bone better. Ive seen both scans. With the MRI it looks like a pile of blobs, the ft looks clearer and defined to me. I'm not a doctor but it makes me wonder how the heck they can READ the MRI. My head looks like Swiss cheese!

Im a radiographer.
    I havent worked in MRI but have previously worked in Bariums, General Radiography and CT and am now, imaging breasts for a living. Except I injured my back at work last week - another story though.

You kind of have it right. Plain films are still best if you are looking for bony breaks (or the tech term fractures.) When it comes to the Brain CT is best following an injury as it can show bleeds/Trauma easier than MRI, We do use Contrast IV a lot for CT brain if looking for Masses tumors etc. MRI suck when imaging bone but are better for Nerves, Nerve lining and soft tissue.
    Its all a bit like choosing an outfit for a specific activity. You have to match the one that best suits what you are looking for, or the look you are going for. :D

MRI Contrasts are still extremely expensive and not used often but that has started to change over the last few years.

No more than mine I would think!

kiwipower wrote: »

No more than mine I would think!
    Ah that explains it - tumour masses. But the MRI shows nerves and my tumours grow on nerves so you need both scans really. They never thought to explain that very well.
    I've had 6 CT scans this year - waiting on another
    And 3 MRI scans

I'm amazed I have 2 brain cells to rub together as you'd get the impression from my history that I was a walking tumour factory.

It's good to know why they mix and match their scans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/25-idiots-that-blamed-hurricane-irene-on-gay-marri

Seriously, they're blaming Hurricane Irene on gay marriage in NYC.

TBH though most of the comments aren't English, I'm pretty sure. Especially no 9.

Oh America.....
    And you just know these are the kind of people who'll support Michele Bachmann for president. I'd like to think some of them were being satirical or sarcastic because that way it makes me lose less faith in humanity.

Ah that explains it - tumour masses. But the MRI shows nerves and my tumours grow on nerves so you need both scans really. They never thought to explain that very well.
    I've had 6 CT scans this year - waiting on another
    And 3 MRI scans

I'm amazed I have 2 brain cells to rub together as you'd get the impression from my history that I was a walking tumour factory.

It's good to know why they mix and match their scans!

You must be nearly glowing as much as me!!!! :p
    Thats full on. I wish you the best.

Plus the spinal angio and the various x rays on the tummy. I don't glow, I positively beam! Lol

starring:
    Aishae in
    The Hulk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

. Especially no 9.

Haha I cant even read it properly :p

Advertisement