Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Flatulence

• 08-12-2005 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I am about to add another very unflatering picture of me to the board (i have told people about my acne breakouts, lack of sex drive and 3 1/2" roots in previous threads). Here goes...

I eat an extreamly healthy diet and (for want of a better word) am very very anal about food. I eat 5 servings at least of fruit a day and about 3-4 of veg every day. I also do not snack on any junk foods during the week (and only a little at weekends). But as a result of the above i have chronic flatulence which really can be unbearable and not to mention embarrasing, and not to mention stomach churningly stinky..

In fairness i try things that i have been recommended to me i.e. Peppermmint Tea, eating my food slower, cooking my veg for longer which i do try but never stick to. I also got a colonic which stopped me farting for a few months but i dontplan on getting one donw again for a few years. Are there any others who suffer with the same problems as me??

I remember being told by a girl i worked with a few years ago that the smelliest place on earth is in a yoga class because of all the vegetarians :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You are eating an awful lot of fruit and veg, what is the rest of your diet like?? How much fibre do you get in, are any of the vegetables fibrous etc????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is there enough fibre in your diet to ensure that everythign that should be passing out of your system is ? You can get fibre drinks to help with this.
    Try eating a slice of burnt toast a day as the carbon can aborb the methane.
    If it is particularly bad do talk to your GP about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it could be linked to IBS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clár

Enough fibre??? I could sh*t for Ireland with all the fruit i eat. Buts i dont eat any more than is recommened these days, its 8 a day not 5 a day anymore.

But to answer your question i eat a fair bit of fibre and "go" every day sometimes a few times a day. I would eat bran flakes a few times a week and if im eating bread its the healthy brown homemade stuff. I eat a lot of salads with either tuna or an oily fish.

I have been told its just something i have to accept as its what comes with being healthy, but as you were saying Thaedydal if this keeps up i will be saying it to my doctor.

it could be linked to IBS?

Doubt it, i dont get contipation or the runs like ever. I am regular as the arrow from Tara Street to Maynooth :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

If you're eating meat before fruit and vegetables then you might want to try eating the fruit and vegetables first as they pass through your digestive system faster. If you eat meat first, then the fruit vegetables get stuck behind it and since they're inside you for longer than they need to be they start to rot, which leads to giving off gas, which leads to you giving off gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

I was diagnosed with Diabetes recently at the tender age of 23. I used to love eating junk food everyday but once i got diagnosed all this had to stop straight away so for the last 2 months i have been eating nothing but fruit & veg i find i have the same problem aswell. One thing i was told to do was eat enough brown bread & high fibre it's helped alot & the flatulance has calmed down a bit so u should have some more brown bread!! Worked for me:)

Its nice to know someone else has a similar problem Angels although i do feel for you if its anything like mine.

Im not a massive bread eater as i find it bloats me and i tend to feel a bit uncomfortable after eating it. I was told when i was a teenager that i had an intollerance to yeast by one of those people who do the alergy testing in health food shops. I used to suffer a lot with thrush at the sides of my mouth and my nether regions and they said it was as a result of an alergy to yeast.

Its the gases in veg that make you fart your body is full of gas already so eating something which has gas already in it your obviously gonna have wind i guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Farts are caused by bacteria in your digestive tract breaking down foods which your stomach otherwise cannot. They release methane as a by-product. Basically, eating vegetables, or anything high in fibre, will cause you to fart. There's very little you can do really.

Boots do a "sweet smelling" thing in their detox range. I found them to be fairly effective before. As a healthy eater and a guinnes drinker I've been subject to a similar situation. If you have to fart, at least it helps if they're not smelly. :)

Boots do a "sweet smelling" thing in their detox range. I found them to be fairly effective before. As a healthy eater and a guinnes drinker I've been subject to a similar situation. If you have to fart, at least it helps if they're not smelly. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for thati think i will defo try it out, god i need it im rotten :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Potatoes are high in fibre too. I've generally gone with the notion that if your farts smell you're either unwell, not going often enough or are about to go :D.

Farting a lot is healthy but I'm not sure about smelly, talk to your doctor or a dietitian. Do you chew your food properly? I'm a recent convert to chewing and it's made quite a difference. Finally can I just say, LOL, just because we're talking about smelly farts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

The smell is usually caused by small amounts of Hydrogen Sulphide in the Fart. In my experience no particular food appears to be more inclined to produce a foul smell than others. I have had IBS for the last twenty years and this is certainly a factor. I reckon If I could bottle the gas I produce I could run a small power plant. Over the years I have got used to the farting, to the point where I almost wallow in them. However, the wife.. well that's another matter. None-the-less great family fun is to be had with the smellest fart in a crowded small space. The only thing with IBS, apart from the cramps that occasionally come early in the morning is that the stomach bloating is really annoying - trousers that fit one day are too small the next and vice versa. Thus giving all the pain and discomfort IBS has caused me over the years and sad as it may seem, the smelly farts sometimes give me great fun:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So I said to the doctor "Can you give me anything for the wind?" He gave me a kite. Tommy Cooper.

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are you eating a lot of citrus fruits? They could be irritating your gut. Fruits like apples, bananas and pineapples(I've heard they aid digestion) would be easier on your stomach than say oranges.

Priobotic yoghurts/supplements may also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Could be a medical condition to do with fat malabsorbtion, among other things.
    I rekcon a trip to your doctor would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

OMG I am going to have such a hard time trying not to say something that will get me banned, because of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Where ever you maybe let your wind go free....

Eat less onions, broccoli also cauliflower, I always find I "flat" more with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The Hare Krishnas get over all the flatulence with their vegetables by adding a susbsance called "asofetida" or in Hindi it is called Hingh, you can look for it in any asian store. Ironically it smells sulphurous and smelly and you only put pinches of it into the water when you are boiling veg, but it does a good job of taking care of flatulence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sandals wrote:
    OMG I am going to have such a hard time trying not to say something that will get me banned, because of this thread!

:D I was thinking the same thing, its not to windy outside mind you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

/me sings "Any way the wind bloooooooooows......." [BONG!!!]

I wasn't going to I promise! but somebody started it before me and I just had to. No more, I promise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No more wise cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Clár wrote: »
    I am about to add another very unflatering picture of me to the board (i have told people about my acne breakouts, lack of sex drive and 3 1/2" roots in previous threads). Here goes...

I eat an extreamly healthy diet and (for want of a better word) am very very anal about food. I eat 5 servings at least of fruit a day and about 3-4 of veg every day. I also do not snack on any junk foods during the week (and only a little at weekends). But as a result of the above i have chronic flatulence which really can be unbearable and not to mention embarrasing, and not to mention stomach churningly stinky..

In fairness i try things that i have been recommended to me i.e. Peppermmint Tea, eating my food slower, cooking my veg for longer which i do try but never stick to. I also got a colonic which stopped me farting for a few months but i dontplan on getting one donw again for a few years. Are there any others who suffer with the same problems as me??

I remember being told by a girl i worked with a few years ago that the smelliest place on earth is in a yoga class because of all the vegetarians :p

I have the same problem I was wondering is there any products I can get to help prevent farting so such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Clár wrote: »

I have a similar problem and i was just wondering is there any products or something to get to help stop farting?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can get charcoal tablets in your local health shop and some pharmacies. You take one or two twice a day two hours before or two hours after food. They take a couple of days to build up in your system, but then they work like a charm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zombie thread closed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement