Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA & Forensic Analysis

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone! Going into the level 8 DNA & Forensic Analysis course in ITT this month
    and I actually haven't got a clue because I was planning on deferring the course until next year.

Registration is pretty soon and I'd rather have an idea of the course/college before the first day
    seeing as I know nobody and have never been inside the college.

I've heard some disappointing things about the college and quality of teaching but as I'm set
    on the course I'm willing to pass these comments off as products of educational snobbery but am nervous nonetheless.

I was wondering most about the avg. course hours, difficulty
    and amount of maths involved and the level of chemistry taught in 1st year but,
    ANY information/gossip/advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used to lecture and demonstrate some of the course so hopefully I have a little insight.
    SkyHigh95 wrote: »
    I've heard some disappointing things about the college and quality of teaching but as I'm set on the course I'm willing to pass these comments off as products of educational snobbery but am nervous nonetheless.
    As with every college, there is a mix bag of lecturers, some are good, some are average. Alot of students don't like some lecturers because they consider them to strict in exams, some don't like others due to being to soft on the curriculum. This was the same as UCD when I went there, same as my friends in TCD and DIT.
    I was wondering most about the avg. course hours
    Can't remember but I think demonstrations were about 3 hours a day, 3 or 4 days a week, lecture time was about the same. If you have already a science head, out of hours work will be minimal, other than report writing, if your fresh to science, expect to put in an hour of learning for every hour you are in a lecture or lab.
    difficulty and amount of maths involved and the level of chemistry taught in 1st year
    It would be the equivalent of any other science course, being strong at maths is advantageous for lab exams and practicals but not essential if you listen to the tips and tricks from the demonstrators. Nearly all science courses will have a decent amount of Chem in 1st year. The first 6 months will be the equivalent of higher leaving cert level and it will get more in depth after that but,
    ANY information/gossip/advice would be helpful! Thanks!
    Lecturers are generally more approachable than university lecturers, not sure if that's the smaller class sizes or just the general feeling. I felt that my lecturers in UCD became more approachable as you got further down the line and into classes of 30 or 40 rather than 450.

At the end of the course, you will have alot more useful hands on experience than an equivalent university course and be geared for the workplace, downsides are that with lower points and the seemingly endless amounts of repeats you can take, there is a risk that a minority of students can pull you down easier. My overall experience is that students at the end are far more useful to the workplace straight off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RJConlon

Hi SkyHigh,

I'm starting the same course next Monday as a mature student and am really looking forward to it. I've heard some pretty good things about the college from my friends who went there straight from school. As with most college courses it depends on your approach to the subject. If you just chose this course as something to do after you left school then regardless of the subject you won't be motivated to succeed. If you have a genuine interest in the course I'm sure things will be fine. As a science course, yes, a good maths brain will be helpful, but I've actually done some work with the maths lecturers in ITT and there really good and go out of there way to make sure noone is left behind. If you want to introduce yourself to me on Monday I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can even if its just a friendly face to say hello to. I know it can be difficult starting at the bottom of the ladder after being a 6th year. The course timetable has now been released on the ITT website. Make sure you open the section for the first semester to see the relevant timetable. anything I can help you with let me know.

Regards,

R Conlon.

Advertisement