Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

• 03-04-2011 10:03pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

New log time. (Previous log and original log). Decided it was time for a new one given that my focus has had to radically change in the last few weeks - left ITB decided somewhere in Barcelona that it just didn't like me at all. After three and a half weeks completely off the road I've just started back with some very short runs and I'm doing lots of stretching and strengthening work. The purpose of this log is to document my recovery from injury and hopefully becoming stronger and less breakable at high mileage, and I hope to be able to destroy some of my shorter distance PBs later this year once I'm properly over this injury.

The basics: 26/female/bit too fond of chocolate

PBs:
    5k 24:04 (Jingle Bells 5k, December 2009)
    5 mile 40:13 (Raheny 5, January 2010)
    10k 52:22 (Women's Mini-Marathon, June 2010)
    10 mile 1:27:36 (first 10 miles of Dublin Half-Marathon, September 2010) (standalone 10M PB is not worth mentioning)
    HM: 1:55:55 (Waterford Half-Marathon, January 2011)
    Marathon: 3:59:00 (Marató Barcelona, March 2011)

Goals:
    - Recover from this injury (duh)
    - Sub-24 5k
    - Sub-40 5 mile
    - Sub-50 10k

For the record, I am almost 100% certain that I am NOT doing Dublin this year. Get strong first, then think about more marathons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great long term vision.

New log, new greatness achieved by RK? Most surely.

New log, less smut? Doubtful.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the new goals, the recovery and the new log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Excellent! You've made recovery sound exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

For the record, I am almost 100% certain that I am NOT doing Dublin this year. Get strong first, then think about more marathons.

Yeah right, i'll bet you whatever you got that you'll be doing it. You'll be back to normal in a month or 2 and aiming towards it from July i reckon. The brain has a funny way of forgetting pain i have found.

Best of luck with the recovery and the log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good job that you got the big Marathon goal out of the way first so!!

Best of luck with the fast stuff goals. CF will be happy (he is the opposite of Jerry Kiernan, he think everyone should 'move down' :P.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yeah right, i'll bet you whatever you got that you'll be doing it. You'll be back to normal in a month or 2 and aiming towards it from July i reckon.
    We'll see :pac:

I'm actually tempted to target Waterford as a goal race and see just what I can do if I trained specifically for a half...
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the fast stuff goals. CF will be happy (he is the opposite of Jerry Kiernan, he think everyone should 'move down' :P.)

He wants me doing speedwork as soon as I can run for 20 minutes pain free... bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the recovery and the new goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Good luck with the new log and keeping in on the subject ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new log and new goals. Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hey, you've already achieved your big marathon goal for the year, you don't need to do another one! You should be able to smash those PBs if you embrace the pain of speedwork - and take a good 15 minutes off that half time if you do Waterford.

RayCun wrote: »
    and take a good 15 minutes off that half time if you do Waterford.

Me run 1:40? Bahahahahahahahahaha, not gonna happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I didn't say soon, I said in Waterford. That's more than six months away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with everything. I've no doubt but that you will smash those PBs and be back to full fitness soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck with the new log. Unfortunately, MrSlow has already found it and I'm sure Digger wont be too far behind, then the whole thing goes downhill with double entendres and innuendo....:rolleyes:

Hope you get back to 100% soon.

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log. Unfortunately, MrSlow has already found it and I'm sure Digger wont be too far behind, then the whole thing goes downhill with double entendres and innuendo....:rolleyes:

Hope you get back to 100% soon.

I resent the implication that I'm as bad as him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

mrslow wrote: »
    I resent the implication that I'm as bad as him :rolleyes:

And so you should :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

This'll be the log we can send people to, who have to climb back out of the injury pit. There's enough self-congratulatory whingefests on here already (we know who we are:rolleyes:) - this'll be the uplift log.

Best of luck with the ITB and the log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Go RK......Sub 20 5K

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Go RK......Sub 20 5K

Not gonna happen. I'll never have that sort of speed. Sub-22 maybe... eventually... but not sub-20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Not gonna happen. I'll never have that sort of speed. Sub-22 maybe... eventually... but not sub-20.

Well, Sub 22 would indicate really good speed in the legs!

What a load of rubbish :rolleyes:, you've never trained for speed, when you're back in action you'll be amazed at the difference a few months of threshold and interval work will make.

We'll have no more of this 'can't' talk - OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Best of luck with the recovery and the new log!

Ive never met you but you have inspired me constantly over the last 12 months, and I have no doubt you will continue to do so.

Wishing you a fast recovery....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Good luck, if you really have to ease off the marathon distance, it is a great idea to have good targets for the shorter distances.

You can knock lumps off those PBs this year.

And finally, some running. 10 minute walk, 12 minute run, 13 minute walk - 5.03km in a little over 35 minutes. No pain from the injury site (WOOHOO!), run segment was at 8.52/mile pace. Annoying as it is for my runs to be that short, I have to keep telling myself that it's therapy rather than training. Have to teach that ITB to work properly again, and if I do too much too soon I'll break myself again.

Miss my Wave Inspires though (even though they were part of the problem), the Kayanos feel like I'm running with pillows under my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Excellent move setting up a new log like you did. You should earn a living out of motivation and finding silver linings. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Good luck with the recovery effort, hopefully you'll be on the mend sooner that expected.

Can only imagine how frustrating all the niggles must be but don't forget what you've achieved so far, I've a few friends who'd bite your hand off if you offered them that sub-4 marathon time!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Good luck with the new log and your recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Me run 1:40? Bahahahahahahahahaha, not gonna happen any time soon.

That was the old you remember your log title "we can rebuild her" before long you gonna be strong and faster. Couple of months consistent work and these targets will be an after thought

Advertisement