Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

• 10-01-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

If I've a console hooked up to a computer monitor, does that evade the TV licence regulations?
    I bought a TV licence purely to cover the crap 4:3 12" CRT screen I have for games while at college, but I can get a swanky 20" HD computer monitor for less than the price of a TV licence next year - if I'm not watching tv (the only thing I broke out the aerial for this year was the toy show :p) I don't see why this solution wouldn't not only work but be legal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 II Skelly x

Yeah you won't need to buy a TV licence to use the monitor. I know people who have dont that and it clears them :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you have a receiver for TV, you need a licence. The receiver in a computer, like a USB stick, needs a licence. In other words, if you can receive TV on any equipment, you need a licence. The licence is required for the bit that receives the radio frequencies used by any TV signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Here is the exact definition by law.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1972/en/act/pub/0005/sec0001.html
    "television set" means any apparatus for wireless telegraphy designed primarily for the purpose of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

2.—(1)

Section 2 of the Act of 1926 is hereby amended by—
    [GA]
    ( a ) the substitution for the definition of "apparatus for wireless telegraphy" therein contained of the following:
    [GA]
    "'apparatus for wireless telegraphy' means apparatus capable of emitting and receiving, or emitting only or receiving only, over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose, electric, magnetic or electro-magnetic energy, of a frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz, whether or not such energy serves the conveying (whether they are actually received or not) of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, or the actuation or control of machinery or apparatus, and includes any part of such apparatus, or any article capable of being used as part of such apparatus, and also includes any other apparatus which is associated with, or electrically coupled to, apparatus capable of so emitting such energy"; and
    [GA]
    ( b ) the substitution for the definition of "wireless telegraphy" (as amended by section 18 of the Broadcasting Authority (Amendment) Act, 1976 ) therein contained of the following:
    [GA]
    "'wireless telegraphy' means the emitting and receiving, or emitting only or receiving only, over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose, of electric, magnetic or electro-magnetic energy of a frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz, whether or not such energy serves the conveying (whether they are actually received or not) of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, or the actuation or control of machinery or apparatus.".
    [GA]
    (2) Section 1 (1) of the Act of 1972 is hereby amended by the substitution of "capable" for "designed primarily for the purpose" in the definition of "television set" contained therein, and the said definition, as so amended, is set out in the Table to this section.
    TABLE

"Television set" means any apparatus for wireless telegraphy capable of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.
    btn_printact.gif

This comes from the later act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1972/en/act/pub/0005/sec0001.html

Anything capable of receiving TV. is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

Cool, I don't have a tuner so I'm pretty much sorted :D

• Advertisement

That is correct. But a satellite tuner would require a licence, even though it does not receive any Irish TV.

Simples.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

For a satellite system The "television programmes broadcast for general reception" bit would apply regardless of what country the programmes were actually broadcast from.

The OP would be able to get away without a licence provided
    1) There is no other TV equipment in the house (Including TV tuner cards, USB stick tuners, DVD recorders etc)
    2) The "computer monitor" doesnt also have a TV tuner (some now do)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 YourNameForMe

I just got a letter in my door that says "... TV license inspector called to you... but you were not in... you must hold a TV license if your premises contains a TV, receiving equipment or both..."
    I have just moved into a new apartment that has "receiving equipment" already installed. It was noted in the letter that the inspector is aware of this receiving equipment as every apartment on my block is connected to a receiving antenna.
    I do have a television set but I only use it to watch DVD's and play video games. I realize I have to get a TV license but like most people; I am very annoyed at being forced to pay for a service I will never use.
    RTE programming is already packed full of commercial advertisements so why are we paying a huge TV license fee? I honestly could not care less if there was no national broadcaster.

I was just wondering, how many people out there want the TV license act abolished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

. . . RTE programming is already packed full of commercial advertisements so why are we paying a huge TV license fee? . . . I was just wondering, how many people out there want the TV license act abolished?

Only if you want even more ads. Watch an episode of a programme on RTE that lasts for say, 50 minutes. The same programme on a Sky channel (Living for example) will last for an hour because of all the bloody breaks! Probably applies to the likes of TV3 too.

We'd end up watching recordings only, so we could skip the ads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... RTE programming is already packed full of commercial advertisements so why are we paying a huge TV license fee? I honestly could not care less if there was no national broadcaster. ...
    The TV licence fee has nothing to do with RTE. The licence was required before RTE TV existed. The TV licence fee is not payable to RTE, it's payable to An Post (which employs the TV licence inspectors) on behalf of the Minister.
    If RTE TV shut down tomorrow (personally I would not regard this as a huge loss), in all probability there would still be a requirement to pay a licence fee for being in possession of "receiving equipment".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NO licence no RTE to speak of. Whether you regard that as a good or bad thing is another matter.

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Only if you want even more ads.

The OP claims they never watch RTE and wouldnt care less if it didnt exist. If this is indeed the case how would scrapping the TV licence result in them seeing more ads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The OP claims they never watch RTE and wouldnt care less if it didnt exist. If this is indeed the case how would scrapping the TV licence result in them seeing more ads ?

I was thinking about the general viewing experience. I could not care less what the OP does or doesn't watch.
    It was the OP made the reference to ads, as I quoted in my other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

Just wanted to get clarification on one thing. If I have a 30" LCD computer monitor with no tuner of any kind and I connect a Sky HD box to it, via HDMI for instance, do I need a TV license? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes
    you do. Even if it's a laptop with DDT stick or PC with Satellite card.

You need a Licence for any satellite Tuner + screen = TV receiver
    Satellite Tuner and no screen in house at all = Radio

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1209/tvlicence.html
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ideysnmhey/

One licence covers every TV in the Dwelling. A room or rooms with separate cooking facilities rented out needs its own TV licence.

I.e. a shared house with 5 students = one licence
    House with rented bedroom room to lodger = one licence
    House with a rented Bed sit to lodger with kettle + microwave = two licences. (If the lodger has a TV in their room, even if it's your TV. If the TV is in shared area then one licence *might* do).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The boys & girls from An Post will have a great time looking for USB sticks so;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Will people stop quoting legislation from the 70's. Its obsolete.

Broadcasting Act 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

If you have a receiver for TV, you need a licence. The receiver in a computer, like a USB stick, needs a licence. In other words, if you can receive TV on any equipment, you need a licence. The licence is required for the bit that receives the radio frequencies used by any TV signal.
    And on an iphone?

And on an iphone?

The screen on an iPhone is to small, but an iPad would need a licence.

• Advertisement

There is no TV tuner for an iPhone. I don't think there is one for iPad.

Web Tv is not "proper" IPTV, so doesn't count.

Phones are specifically exempt even if they have a real tuner (some phones do have real Analogue or DTT tuners).

if an iPad did have a real tuner (like the PS3 has) then you would need a licence. But one TV licence covers all TVs in your house and any "portable" TV outside your house if it's running only on internal batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭themiso

I saw good offer on sony 40 full hd telly, bought it and now im wondering if i should pay tv license (as didnt have telly before).

I know that basically everybody who has telly should pay tv license, but I should also have some channels right ? I tried to connect my TV to wall socket but all I get is eurosport (no other channels) so I disconnected it and do not use it. I use my telly only to have larger screen to watch movies through hdmi (laptop). I don't mind to pay tv license, I'm just asking if I have to.

Thanks

and also if inspector come to check on me and i have no license will i get fine straight away or first they ask me to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

You have to pay once you own a electronic device that is capable of receiving a signal from an Aerial, satellite dish, cable etc. It doesn't matter if you actually use it to watch TV or not.

Regarding your setup -

The wall socket is connected to an NTL/UPC network:- you should not be using it without their equipment and paying a subscription, lots of people do this but shouldn't actually be doing so.

What make and model is you TV and your location - If you post details I'm sure you can get advise on receiving subscription free TV legally.

OP Im assuming you live in the Republic of Ireland here (law in UK does allow exceptions if you can prove the set isint used for live viewing)

If you want to stay legal you could flog the TV (or bring it back to shop for refund) and buy a large monitor with HDMI socket (might have trouble finding a 40" version though) or a video projector with HDMI socket and no internal tuner.

If going down the projector route check:
    Resolution
    Bulb life
    Replacment bulb cost

Tom Slick wrote: »
    I was thinking about the general viewing experience. I could not care less what the OP does or doesn't watch.

By the same token Im sure the OP couldnt care less about the General viewing experience since it is something they (apparently) are not part of

watty wrote: »
    But one TV licence covers all TVs in your house and any "portable" TV outside your house if it's running only on internal batteries.

Where in Irish legislation is this specified ?

I Know it is the case in the UK (and has been since the 1930's when it applied to radio licences) but unless there has been a change in Ireland in the last few years (Im a bit fuzzy on more recent legislation) there is no provision on outdoor use (or even possession) of TV sets at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

it's a television, it's used for watching television on primarily. That's like buying an iPhone, and using it with wifi but complaining about having to pay the subscription.

Groinshot wrote: »
    it's used for watching television on primarily.
    In the OP's case it isint if we are to take them at their word.
    Groinshot wrote: »
    That's like buying an iPhone, and using it with wifi but complaining about having to pay the subscription.
    Im not sure which piece of legislation mandates the compulsary use of Iphones for utilising wifi connections. Perhaps you would be good enough to provide a link to the appropriate Statutory instrument and/or Act of the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In the OP's case it isint if we are to take them at their word.

I didn't say anything about the OP. Laws aren''t made for the minorities. (scratch that, they shouldn't be). The General population use televisions for ____ (let you fill in the blanks).
    Im not sure which piece of legislation mandates the compulsary use of Iphones for utilising wifi connections. Perhaps you would be good enough to provide a link to the appropriate Statutory instrument and/or Act of the Oireachtas.
    *sigh*
    I never said that there is any did I? I don't see anywhere in my post where it states there is. I'll try and explain what I meant.If you buy an iPhone, whether or not you use it as a phone, you are still liable to pay for the use of it as a phone, not as a wifi device, even if that is what you say you primarily use it.

if you dont want to pay a tv licence, buy a computer monitor.

• Advertisement

The most recent legislation.

Advertisement