Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imperial Hotel

Options
  • 26-11-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Passing Imperial on bus this evening and workmen seem to be affixing a new copper type plate on entrance wall which I think 76 or such number SOUTH MALL thereon. Maybe this is rebranding but I think it would be a pity if the word "Imperial"was being faded out. It will always be the Imperial to me especially when I recall the afternoon Sunday dances there years ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

They're certainly renovating the front of the bar, so perhaps that's what's being renamed?

(which is also a pity, IMO, was a very cool layout. It must have cost them a fortune to do in the first place, and it wasn't done so long ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

now being called"76 on the mall"
    they have gutted "Souths Bar" and re-built it, and also re-naming to 76...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'76 on the Mall' is a pretty p*ss poor attempt at renaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Probably trying to rebrand away the old knocking-shop name Souths had. Well done on out-wankering Jacobs On The Mall in the pretentious name league, though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It still has the imperial on the canopy over the door, I think it's only the bar that has changed name,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My friend saw it inside I think and she said it looks nice - I liked Souths the way it was though so hope they haven't changed it radically...

leahyl wrote: »
    My friend saw it inside I think and she said it looks nice - I liked Souths the way it was though so hope they haven't changed it radically...

From what I've seen the front is pretty much gutted. I'd say it's a complete re-design. I thought the old design was very nice too, very unusual having the mezzanine area over the bar like that. Having said that, I used to almost never go in there so...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

who_me wrote: »
    From what I've seen the front is pretty much gutted. I'd say it's a complete re-design. I thought the old design was very nice too, very unusual having the mezzanine area over the bar like that. Having said that, I used to almost never go in there so...

Yeah I'm the same...! Used to go in there regularly enough during the day when they used to serve the carvery in there but then they moved that over by the restaurant. Most recently was in there during the jazz weekend and it had a great vibe, it's a lovely bar; really unusual design as you said.

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same...! Used to go in there regularly enough during the day when they used to serve the carvery in there but then they moved that over by the restaurant. Most recently was in there during the jazz weekend and it had a great vibe, it's a lovely bar; really unusual design as you said.

Went by today, it's open already - that was quick! Just looked in the window, looks like a modernisation. There seemed to be steps up to the upper area, so it looks like that's been retained.

Advertisement