Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vinyl records in Cork City?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bacchus wrote: »
    Thanks guys. That'd be great if you could check the name of yours Milly33. Mind you, I already have an all-in-one music box (bluetooth, internet radio, radio, CD, USB) that does a fantastic job so IF I did bite the bullet and commit to it, I think I'd go for a "barebones" record player. Sound quality would be the biggest point for me. Vinyl is about two things (IMO) having a piece of art and great sound, so the last thing I'd want to do is skimp on sound.

Check that your system has a phono preamp.
    Many newer amps and systems do not have phono preamps built in, in which case you would need a separate phono preamp.

It is possible that some contemporary turntables will have preamps built in but you'd need to check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone know if the guy selling the vinyl on barrack st is still on the go? I havent been up there in ages cause of the road works and was there recently and saw hes gone, used to have a great selection and decent enough prices

Was the second hand shop just past the fort?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Bought a secondhand record player in Mother Jones' flea Market (off McCurtain St) back in September for 95 Euros, a Phillips with tuner and cassette player, its fantastic. I have only 50 or so records, and a couple of hundred tapes, but it means that I am listening to music more than I have done for years. Some of the vinyl I have had for 40 years (Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Pink Floyd's Relics). And I have bought two new LP's as well, Dark Side Of the Moon (1973), and The Endless River (2014). If I became a rich man I would replace my entire CD collection with vinyl.The sound is better and the artwork is far more striking. Golden Disks in Patrick St seem to be stocking more vinyl these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh tis a Steepltone one I have sorry cant link pictures but tis the wooden one.. google it..mother jones is great too love the place

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any DJ'S In here still buy vinyl ? vinyl room and synthic (SP?) Were great back in the day,as were hmv and virgin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

darkdubh wrote: »
    Was the second hand shop just past the fort?

yeah thats the one, has he opened up somewhere else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

yeah thats the one, has he opened up somewhere else?

I don't know what became of him after,theres a bookshop due to open there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh tis a Steepltone one I have sorry cant link pictures but tis the wooden one.. google it..mother jones is great too love the place

They are some sexy looking record players. What is the build quality like on them? These 3 caught my eye (I prefer the black look). None seem to have the phono preamp built in but they all have speakers. I just wouldn't be sure of the quality of the sound from those speakers.

http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=154
    http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=53
    http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=222

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Pretty aren't they mine is kinda like the first one a little smaller though.The speakers are fine for me but then I am not sounds mad.. I know himself if always going on about speakers and he thinks they are good but you know yourself you could do so much better with them. You can hook them up to the fancy speakers if you wanted after..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bacchus wrote: »
    They are some sexy looking record players. What is the build quality like on them? These 3 caught my eye (I prefer the black look). None seem to have the phono preamp built in but they all have speakers. I just wouldn't be sure of the quality of the sound from those speakers.

http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=154
    http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=53
    http://www.uk-jukeboxes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=222
    If they have speakers, then they have a built in phone preamp.
    The fact that they have a line out option confirms this.
    If a turntable only had a phono out, then you need a phono preamp (included in all older amps).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Oddworld Inhabitant

I think Ripall on Sheares St has them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Records and Relics on Washington Street has a pretty good selection. That and Ripall are probably the best in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Has Plugd been mentioned at all? It's reopened quite a while now (few years?) upstairs in the Triskel, Tobin st. Great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gunt

Hi, can anyone let me know of any second hand record shops in Cork City?

Only asking again as it's been 2 or so years since the last post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Music Zone in Douglas Village shopping centre are selling new a pre-owned vinyl. Not sure about any in the city centre.

Music Zone in Douglas Village shopping centre are selling new a pre-owned vinyl. Not sure about any in the city centre.

That will do nicely. Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Gunt wrote: »
    That will do nicely. Thank you :D
    They have a website as well (musiczone.ie) but it only lists new stock afaik, have to browse the pre-owned in person ;)

They have a website as well (musiczone.ie) but it only lists new stock afaik, have to browse the pre-owned in person ;)

Browsing through the unlisted second half stuff is half the joy of it, never know what you might find :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

Just use discogs like every dj lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Always nice to see a thread I started nearly 6 and a half years ago is still going! How time flies......!

You'll have to post back and let us know if it was worth the trip Gunt. Might try and get out to Music Zone myself over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Schorpio wrote: »
    Always nice to see a thread I started nearly 6 and a half years ago is still going! How time flies......!

You'll have to post back and let us know if it was worth the trip Gunt. Might try and get out to Music Zone myself over the next few weeks.

Great selection of stuff out there at very reasonable prices too. Lads running the shop are extremely helpful & friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

There is a record fair in the unitarian church on Princes Street every so often.

Mother Jones flea market off MacCurtin Street has some second hand records as well.

Schorpio wrote: »

It was well worth the trip, not so much for the second hand stuff but they do have a wide range of new vinyl there. The place has me broke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

brevity wrote: »
    Mother Jones flea market off MacCurtin Street has some second hand records as well.

John is moving his record shop from Mother Jones to a dedicated shop in 1 Camden place, and also opening a studio there!

It will be called Bunker Vinyl & Studio, heres a link to the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bunkervinyl

The grand opening is on Saturday March 4th at 11am.

Heres a link to the event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/227948104344757

Great to see this in Cork!

Advertisement