Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regiment question

• 04-08-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Just curious about something and hoping someone here can help. My Grandfather and his brother joined the Royal Engineers in Tralee before the war started. I'm curious as to why they would have joined the RE and not the Munster Fusiliers. How were recruits assigned to the various regiments ? Did they decide themselves or were they told ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A lot depended on the recruiting sergeant. He could steer guys towards regiments or corps he favoured. Young recruits were often unsure as to which regiment they wanted to join and frequently opted for the regiment or corps of the recruiting sergeant.

It could also simply be that at the time your grandfather and grand-uncle signed up they had enough infantry under training at the Fusiliers depot and so sent them to the Engineers. Or maybe they had some skill, trade or profession that could be put to better use in the Engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million Jawgap, that makes sense. I read somewhere that young fellas with a trade were often recruited to the RE. The 1911 census shows my Grand uncle as a plumber and my Grandad as an apprentice plumber.
    That explains that, cheers !

Advertisement