Gaelscoil interview - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2013, 12:39   #16
Moonbeam

I got in every week to ask where we are on ours and they have always told us.
The one nice hting about it being 1st come 1st served is there are multiple nationalities,the other gaeil scoil that is about 7/8 km away gives priority to irish speaking families then siblings and then naíonra kids.
We are on the waiting list there too.
I don't know if would like my child going to a school that operates that level of secrecy ,it owuld make me feel they were trying to hide something.
Advertisement
13-03-2013, 16:26   #17
byhookorbycrook

Our policy is on the website and is perfectly clear. Please don't tar all schools with the same brush.
13-03-2013, 16:34   #18
Tombo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Our policy is on the website and is perfectly clear. Please don't tar all schools with the same brush.

If you are referring to my comments, which I think you are...

Firstly, I didnt tar all schools with the same brush. I was referring to one school only, I made that very clear.

Second,

The following policy is very clear

"Our school prioritises children who are being reared in Irish in the family home".

What is completely unclear is how that judgment is made.

Thats what I am referring to.

If a school employs a sibling policy, the school can say "look, that kid has an older sister in senior infants"......and thats fair enough.

If a school has a date of application policy, also absolutely clearcut. They can open up the spreadsheet. You can see where you are on the list.

But with the whole 'rearing children in Irish'....you just dont know what you are up against.

I dont want to get in a big row with anyone about this. However I do think the process is unclear, and in our case, with the school we dealt with, we did absolutely everything we possibly could to get our kid into the school and we didnt get in, and ultimately we didnt really know why.
13-03-2013, 17:23   #19
Grawns

That's rotten, would you think about making an appeal. You weren't given a proper chance to show your ability and use of Irish.
13-03-2013, 19:07   #20
byhookorbycrook

Tombo, I have highlighted the part of your post where you refer to wide numbers of schools.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion