Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC ICS 4.0 Time Lines

Options
  • 22-05-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I dont know if this has been mentioned earlier (I didn't see it) but HTC has given some time lines for their devices due to be upgraded to ICS 4.0.

DROID Incredible 2 by HTC - To be determined (by the end of August)
    HTC Amaze 4G - May-June
    HTC Desire S - June-July
    HTC Desire HD - July-August
    HTC EVO 3D - June-July
    HTC EVO 4G+ - May-June
    HTC EVO Design 4G - June-July
    HTC Incredible S - June-July
    HTC Sensation - March-June
    HTC Sensation 4G - March-June
    HTC Sensation XE - March-June
    HTC Sensation XL - April-Jun
    HTC Rezound - June-July
    HTC Rhyme - June-July
    HTC Thunderbolt - July-August
    HTC Velocity 4G - March-June
    HTC Vivid - March-June

Link:http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-adds-some-timelines-their-ics-device-update-list?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter

HTC Link: http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq/?cid=android4blog

Least now we know when roughly we will be getting them (if your a HTC owner anyway)

-Danny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

The last update toook ages on Meteor

End of July and no sign of ICS for Desire S :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Android 4.0 for Desire HD has been officially cancelled due to "poor performance" issues and the way storage and partitioning is done on the device. IF it was to go ahead it would meaning re-partitioning the device leading to data loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

jonski wrote: »
    End of July and no sign of ICS for Desire S :(

From the HTC Blog "My phone hasn't gotten the Android 4.0 update, while other with the same device have. Why?
    Due to localization, testing, and partner approvals, updates do not roll out to all devices at the same time. For devices on a wide variety of carriers and in many countries, rollouts can take up to 45 days from the initial update to reach everyone.

If your phone has not received the update after the 45-day period, navigate to Settings>About>Software Updates to have your device manually check for updates."

Ive checked their website and it don't state that's its been officially released yet. Also the timeline has been removed from their blog:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Danny_B wrote: »
    HTC Desire S - June-July

Has anyone gotten this ICS update yet. Im with Meteor and have the HTC Desire S and I check every week and still no update.

• Advertisement

Danny_B wrote: »
    HTC Desire S - June-July

Has anyone gotten this ICS update yet. Im with Meteor and have the HTC Desire S and I check every week and still no update.

No , it hasn't been released yet but HTC say It will be released before the end of august ......whatever that's worth .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

After HTC release it you will be waiting longer for Meteor to release it. I wouldn't expect it before October.

You could go down the custom ROM route and get ICS that way. And then forget about HTC and never buy a phone of theirs ever again.

Ill keep checking so. May put a query out in the meteor forums to see if they know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

I fear you may be waiting a while... just checked over on XDA and the talk is HTC have released a ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU) on their site for developers but it looks like the Desire S might be going the way of the DHD... custom rom might be your best bet

so custom rom or a new phone. cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

so custom rom or a new phone. cheers lads

Well maybe not the story you want to hear but I played around with a few custom roms (GB and then ICS) and didnt like the ICS roms at all I found them very laggy. Seems a lot of people over on XDA have been saying this (the vast majority will say its great to have ICS but the lag for me is a killer). ended up reverting to GB custom rom and happy again. From my reading of the XDA the problem is with the kernal (how the operating system interacts with the hardware). But with the release of the RUU there should be an updated kernal for ICS so fingers crossed new custom roms should be running better.

And in truth apart from a nicer looking gmail app and the ability to create folders I didnt see any great benefit to ICS ... dare I say it still a great little phone

So , the end of august came and went and no update and no one is surprised either . I love my HTC desire s but the wait for updates is a killer . Are the other phone brands as bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

jonski wrote: »
    So , the end of august came and went and no update and no one is surprised either . I love my HTC desire s but the wait for updates is a killer . Are the other phone brands as bad .
    Not all other phone brands are as bad.

There was a RUU released to update the Desire S to ICS but it was removed a few hours after being released. I'm pretty sure it has been uploaded elsewhere and you can find the link to it on xda developers.

Just pulling these quotes from Drippler
    HTC is not creating an official over-the-air release of Android 4.0 for the Desire S. A update for the handset has been added to the HTC developer website, but according to Technytt.se, this is as far as HTC will go to updating the handset. Customers wanting the update will have to download it from the developer site and follow an install process instead....

Because HTC is not saying when it will release the software, and with less than 48 hours remaining in August, it’s possible that it will completely miss the August deadline. We saw it happen before with the HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich update and it’s clear that HTC doesn’t have a problem blowing past upgrade deadlines.

At the very least, this is confirmation that the update is still coming, something that should help to ease the minds of HTC Desire S owners who may be wondering if the update is ever coming

This one is from the 3rd of September
    It looks like our readers on the other side of the globe can now get their hands on the source code for the HTC Desire S and the HTC Rhyme thanks to the HTCDev portal, the place where the manufacturer releases kernels to the public. Available for download is the ROM Update Utility (RUU) files

Must head on over tot he xda forums and see if I can bring anything back

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Not all other phone brands are as bad.

There was a RUU released to update the Desire S to ICS but it was removed a few hours after being released. I'm pretty sure it has been uploaded elsewhere and you can find the link to it on xda developers.

I used that RUU to update to ICS yesterday with no problems , everything is working perfectly and I am just about coming back down from the state of panic and trepidation I had while doing it . :D

Advertisement