Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer - Discussion/Help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Managed to get unRAID 6 up and running today and it is currently going through the parity sync so I'll wait until that finishes before adding any files to the array. It has so far been an absolute dream to use! :)

I don't have a cache device set up yet because I forgot the fact my SSD would need power.. oops :o I'll run some benchmarks later to see what kind of speed I get to / from the array without cache.

So I've got 1 Parity disk and 1 data disk with no cache installed. These are the benchmarks from CrystalDiskMark:

5 x 1GB passes
    u7lD4lk.png

5 x 4GB passes
    1PuDE79.png

I think these look okay considering I don't have a cache device setup :)

Compared to my 1TB internal drive..
    aoTGjwL.png

I'm loving unRAID so far. Transferred over my movie collection today and set up the Plex container. Will be setting the up the Deluge container as well later on after dinner.

After all my fuss about wanting a hypervisor I still haven't even thought about setting up any VMs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

a bit off topic but does the hp microserver allow 32gb?
    i wanted to buy one for vmware lab, i know 16gb would prob do but to have potential for 32gb down the line would be great. also where is the cheapest to buy, amazon uk?

zweton wrote: »
    a bit off topic but does the hp microserver allow 32gb?
    i wanted to buy one for vmware lab, i know 16gb would prob do but to have potential for 32gb down the line would be great. also where is the cheapest to buy, amazon uk?

AFAIK the gen8 is limited to 16GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

is there any that can take 32?

For those of you using unRAID;

What Dockers are you using? I have finished implementing my torrent / media setup (Deluge, Transmission, Plex, Sonarr and Couchpotato). Also set up Teamspeak and DuckDNS last night.

My next plan is to set up an RSS aggregator for keeping up with my favourite sites, podcasts, etc. There doesn't seem to be any decent web apps for keeping up with the various sites I like so I think a self-hosted solution would be best. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gordonl

Tiny Tiny RSS (TT-RSS) is an excellent aggregator. There are a fair few docker images of it available.
    I can't comment on them as i have it installed on the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi All,

looking to purchase a remote access card (615095-b21) for the server. Anywhere I've seen on-line is out of stock.

Does anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks in advance,

SH

Got a Gen8 recently but am still in the process of getting it up and running. It's the G1610T with 16GB of RAM, two 2TB WD Reds and a 240GB SSD. My intention is to use it both as a NAS (using the WD Reds) and a Hyper-V test bed with the VM system drives on the SSD. Also have the iLO 4 Advanced licence.

Noticed a few issues though. In RAID mode with the B120i controller, TRIM doesn't seem to work because the Server 2012 R2 defrag and optimise utility said that optimisation was not available. In AHCI mode, you can't boot from SATA port 5, so I worked around that by putting BOOTMGR and the Boot directory on an old 64MB MicroSD card I had knocking about, and put that in the motherboard's MicroSD slot. So now that it's in AHCI mode I need to decide on whether to use plain old dynamic disks for the mirror or to go with Storage Spaces.

Was having another issue with Windows Deployment Services in a VM, but I'll make a separate thread for that.

• Advertisement

Let's talk about security..

I'm running unRAID 6 with multiple dockers exposed to the web. I understand now that this is a big nono so I will look into taking these offline today. The issue with this is that some of them are used externally to my network and I don't want this to change;

Torrents - I have a torrent client that grabs torrents from a private tracker via Sonarr and an RSS feed. This is 90% automated, which is great.. but as far as I remember this required me to open a port for Sonarr and a port for the torrent client (Deluge & Transmission) which are forwarded to the IP of my server. I can transfer the torrent client to my desktop if needed but this wouldn't be ideal.

Plex - I use Plex at my GFs house frequently via the android app and the chromecast. This is best used on the server so we can access it 24/7 without worrying about turning on my desktop. I have also given her sister access to Plex via the same setup (iPhone + Chromecast). This required forwarding a port to the server.

Teamspeak / DuckDNS - I host a teamspeak server for my friends when we play games together. Rather than accessing this directly via the IP of the server I just give them my DuckDNS address (Another docker container). Can't remember if this required a port or not.

What are my options for implementing a more secure environment?

I thought about implementing a VPN docker BUT I'm not sure if this will work with the chromecast. I used to have a subscription to 'Private Internet Access' and if I ever connected to that via their app I was no longer able to find the chromecast when using Netflix. I assume Plex will be the same.

I realise some of this is possibly unRAID specific.. but any tips appreciated

Just to note my server is connected directly to gigabit switch which is connected to my UPC Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Put a firewall on it. Block except ssh traffic to your local network and then move from there to opening specific ports to specific things.

Put a firewall on it. Block except ssh traffic to your local network and then move from there to opening specific ports to specific things.

What would be the best option for installing a firewall on the server? My only options are docker containers, or in a VM.. What would work best?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Danger781 wrote: »
    What would be the best option for installing a firewall on the server? My only options are docker containers, or in a VM.. What would work best?

I've never worked with docker but a glance at it implies its complicated. It seems to run a linux OS with virtualized containers within. So in theory you can put a firewall on the host or just use ip-tables. But in reality its built to be behind a firewall.

The other option and also the next step is to ensure that all traffic is authenticated. So teamspeak, plex all require a plug-in with limited auth tries and timeouts. In reality its a home server. Its not that important in the scheme of things to other people to invest the time and money to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

my gen8 arrived today.

i have 4gb of ram yet to arrive to up it to 8gb

i bought a ilo4 advanced lic for $22 and have that installed work a treat.

i currently installing 2012 r2

and i'm doing it all with ilo you can mount a iso to the server and boot from it

it also allows you to connect remotely to it

so i'm setting up everything without ever having to connect it to a monitor

dunworth1 wrote: »
    my gen8 arrived today.

i have 4gb of ram yet to arrive to up it to 8gb

i bought a ilo4 advanced lic for $22 and have that installed work a treat.

i currently installing 2012 r2

and i'm doing it all with ilo you can mount a iso to the server and boot from it

it also allows you to connect remotely to it

so i'm setting up everything without ever having to connect it to a monitor
    iLO is brilliant, I did the very same. :)

Here's the latest HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) if you need it. It will give you all of the firmware and driver updates up to June of this year.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p67859018/v110210/SPP2015060.2015_0605.106.iso

Karsini wrote: »
    iLO is brilliant, I did the very same. :)

Here's the latest HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) if you need it. It will give you all of the firmware and driver updates up to June of this year.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p67859018/v110210/SPP2015060.2015_0605.106.iso

cheers already did that forgot to mention.
    i actually had to phone hp support as i had an issue linking the server to my account to access the downloads

there is also a newer ilo firmware available then the one that's included new version is 2.22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Has anyone worked out how much power they are burning running one of these servers in a specific setup 24x7?

I've reduced my power usage by doing day to day browsing on a netbook rather than a quad core desktop and only keep and old Dell inspiron 530 desktop running 24x7 rather than the old quad core and I'm wondering if I can justify a new server based on saving money on the electric bill?

The old Dell desktop has a Dual Core E6320 in it and runs Win Srv 2008 with TMG. It has a USB3 card and I use it for file sharing on 3 external 2GB 2.5inch USB drives. Other members of the family can be up at any time of the day or night using the internet which is why the TMG server stays on.

I used an inline meter on my MicroServer and it was pulling about 30W at idle. I have the G1610T version with two WD Red disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

my3cents wrote: »
    Has anyone worked out how much power they are burning running one of these servers in a specific setup 24x7?

I've reduced my power usage by doing day to day browsing on a netbook rather than a quad core desktop and only keep and old Dell inspiron 530 desktop running 24x7 rather than the old quad core and I'm wondering if I can justify a new server based on saving money on the electric bill?

The old Dell desktop has a Dual Core E6320 in it and runs Win Srv 2008 with TMG. It has a USB3 card and I use it for file sharing on 3 external 2GB 2.5inch USB drives. Other members of the family can be up at any time of the day or night using the internet which is why the TMG server stays on.

The E6320 will consume nearly double the power of the G1610T: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E6320-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610T

A bigger consideration is the OS and how often it spins down the drives. Half a dozen spinning drives will be a bigger drain than the processor.

Also, if you have a Graphics card in the Dell, that will make a difference too.

As a rule of thumb, 1W run 24x7 for a year will cost around a euro. So if there is a 50W difference, that's going to save you €50 over a year.

got windows installed last night and all updates installed this morning.

have reinstalled plex media server and imported back in my old database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

stimpson wrote: »
    The E6320 will consume nearly double the power of the G1610T: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E6320-vs-Intel-Celeron-G1610T

A bigger consideration is the OS and how often it spins down the drives. Half a dozen spinning drives will be a bigger drain than the processor.

Also, if you have a Graphics card in the Dell, that will make a difference too.

As a rule of thumb, 1W run 24x7 for a year will cost around a euro. So if there is a 50W difference, that's going to save you €50 over a year.

Thanks for the comparison link. It also gives me a good idea what to expect if I was to run the same software on an HP MicroServer.

Finally got around to measuring the current set up (pun not intended) and its not that bad. It settles down to 68-69 Watts with a couple of old internal drives (200GB Maxtor that it boots off and a 500GB WD blue(?) drive) and with the three external HDD's plugged in its 77-79 Watts. I don't need to use the second 500GB internal drive so might disconnect it. I could also run the whole thing off an old laptop HDD. All parts were free (apart from the external drives and the USB 3 controller) so the MicroServer will have to go back on the wish list for the time being.

No CD/DVD and only the onboard graphics card. All values in Watts from a cheap Maplin inline mains power meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zzyxxx

I'm looking to set one of these up as a HTPC type setup (connect to TV with a graphics card that has HDMI out).
    Would it be able for playing HD content?
    I also would like to use wake on lan, has anyone experience of this? Specifically - it will sit beside a UPC router.
    I also would like to use ILO to manage it from my laptop. My laptop will be connected to the WiFi from the UPC router (again, is this possible with said configuration?).
    Ideally I would like to use some version of Windows Server, so I can set up TFS to learn something about that. I would also like to set up folder shares and user accounts for other users in my house.

is there a specific RJ45 port I need to connect to for Wake on Lan or ILO?

Thanks for any help.

The iLO has a dedicated RJ45 port. But you can also enabled Shared mode, which allows you to use it on one of the existing ports if required. Regarding WOL, I haven't tried it but you could log into the iLO and power it up from there. There's even an iOS app for iLO, probably Android too. So you could power it up from your phone.

One thing to be aware of, if you add an external video card, the remote console in iLO no longer works, because it relies on the onboard Matrox G200 video. It might be possible to add a second card and use that as the secondary card, keeping the G200 as the primary, but I haven't tested.

The iLO has a dedicated RJ45 port. But you can also enabled Shared mode, which allows you to use it on one of the existing ports if required. Regarding WOL, I haven't tried it but you could log into the iLO and power it up from there. There's even an iOS app for iLO, probably Android too. So you could power it up from your phone.

One thing to be aware of, if you add an external video card, the remote console in iLO no longer works, because it relies on the onboard Matrox G200 video. It might be possible to add a second card and use that as the secondary card, keeping the G200 as the primary, but I haven't tested.

Thanks for that info. I didn't realise that the iLO can turn on the server from sleeping, so I don't really need to worry about WOL.
    The idea is to get a low profile internal video card.
    I'm sure it would pick up the video card and allow me to play through it to the TV (by RDP'ing to Windows through iLO)..?

Yep looks like there is an Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hp.essn.iss.ilo.iec.spa

From my testing, with an Nvidia GeForce 210, the initial POST appears on the iLO but once the Nvidia card is initialised, you just get a black screen from then on. I never thought of setting the Nvidia card as the secondary card to see how it would work.

By the way, the iLO operates even when the server is off, once it has power of course. So that's how you can power it on and off.

From my testing, with an Nvidia GeForce 210, the initial POST appears on the iLO but once the Nvidia card is initialised, you just get a black screen from then on. I never thought of setting the Nvidia card as the secondary card to see how it would work.

By the way, the iLO operates even when the server is off, once it has power of course. So that's how you can power it on and off.

Quick bit of research shows that you can do this:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/page-3#entry66370

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭Wossack

Danger781 wrote: »
    Let's talk about security..

I'm running unRAID 6 with multiple dockers exposed to the web. I understand now that this is a big nono so I will look into taking these offline today. The issue with this is that some of them are used externally to my network and I don't want this to change;

Torrents - I have a torrent client that grabs torrents from a private tracker via Sonarr and an RSS feed. This is 90% automated, which is great.. but as far as I remember this required me to open a port for Sonarr and a port for the torrent client (Deluge & Transmission) which are forwarded to the IP of my server. I can transfer the torrent client to my desktop if needed but this wouldn't be ideal.

Plex - I use Plex at my GFs house frequently via the android app and the chromecast. This is best used on the server so we can access it 24/7 without worrying about turning on my desktop. I have also given her sister access to Plex via the same setup (iPhone + Chromecast). This required forwarding a port to the server.

Teamspeak / DuckDNS - I host a teamspeak server for my friends when we play games together. Rather than accessing this directly via the IP of the server I just give them my DuckDNS address (Another docker container). Can't remember if this required a port or not.

What are my options for implementing a more secure environment?

I thought about implementing a VPN docker BUT I'm not sure if this will work with the chromecast. I used to have a subscription to 'Private Internet Access' and if I ever connected to that via their app I was no longer able to find the chromecast when using Netflix. I assume Plex will be the same.

I realise some of this is possibly unRAID specific.. but any tips appreciated

have a look at this guys blog - http://www.seandion.info/unraid/

reckon thats one of the better ways of going about it

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    have a look at this guys blog - http://www.seandion.info/unraid/

reckon thats one of the better ways of going about it

Nice one will give it a read :)

Advertisement