Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

• 06-05-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Three more stars are being booted off Coronation Street as the soap tries to cut costs in the credit crunch.

Miseryguts Paula Carp, barmaid Poppy Morales and Norris Cole’s meek missus Mary Taylor leave our screens in weeks.

Bosses say the characters — who have only been on the series for around six months — have failed to make their mark on the ITV1 show.

A source said: “It’s a real shame they’re leaving but their characters haven’t made a huge impact and we haven’t got any more big storylines for them. We just can’t afford to keep them on.

“We can’t be sentimental and we felt their characters had run their course.

From The Sun

I cant say they will be missed - all rubbish characters
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

JP Liz wrote: »
    From The Sun

I cant say they will be missed - all rubbish characters

I actually don't even know who they are.....and i watch Corrie......definitely didn't make an impact!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hmm, it's unfortunate for the actors but I suppose sometimes characters come into the show and don't seem to be going anywhere - but surely that's down to their storylines??

Paula Carp I can understand as she clearly just came in for the whole story about her daughter (can't remember her name just now). Mary is quite a boring character but I don't think we've had enough of Poppy to judge really - she never really had any story lines of her own. I think she's got potential to be a good character. Like we don't really know anything about her - she could have some dark secret lurking :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

ya I actually though there was going to be something between herself and Lloyd and then it would all kick off with her and Liz... they really didn't give her a chance at all did they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

'Coronation Street' favourite Sunita Alahan is reportedly returning to the show after three years - with a glamorous new look.

Actress Shobna Gulati, who plays Sunita, has gone from brunette to blonde, and the Daily Mirror reports that her comeback is scheduled for later this year.

On her return Sunita is expected to make life very uncomfortable for her cheating ex-husband Dev (Jimmi Harkishin).

Sunita left Weatherfield in February 2006 after discovering that Dev had had several children with different women.

Sunita had not long given birth to twins and Dev was heartbroken that they and his wife would no longer be part of his everyday life.

The Mirror quotes a 'Coronation Street' source as saying: "Talks have been going on for some time to finalise a deal acceptable to all those who are involved.

"Sunita was a great character, so to have her back is exciting."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Mary's no loss, though it was funny tonight with her trying to jump poor Norris. Looking forward to seeing Andrew Sachs' arrival...he seems like a sweet little man:o.
    Poppy had potential for an affair with either Lloyd or Dev. Sunita was a nice person, it took me a minute to picture her though...can't imagine the blonde hair suiting her.
    Paula I assume, is Julie's mother? I think she's very dull...her face seriously lacks expression.

• Advertisement

John Thomson is to become embroiled in a screen love triangle when his character returns to Weatherfield later this year.

The 40-year-old initially signed for three episodes as comedic kids' entertainer Jesse Chadwick.

Following his brief stint, which aired at the end of last year, it was announced in January that he would make a permanent comeback next month.

On returning to the cobbles, Jesse finds himself at the centre of a complicated love triangle between the lady of his affection, Eileen Grimshaw (Sue Cleaver), and her new found half-sister, Julie Carp (Katy Cavanagh).

According to the Daily Star, Julie manages to convince Jesse that she should be his stagehand, prompting her to become a Debbie McGee-style assistant. Their time spent together allegedly results in Jesse dumping Eileen after embarking on an affair with Julie.

A source said: "Eileen is devastated at losing Jesse - especially to Julie. She thought she had finally found a man she could trust."

Another two Coronation Street characters are to be written out of the show, Digital Spy can confirm.

Darryl Morton and Vicki Dankowska - played by Jonathan Dixon and Wanda Opalinska - will bow out of the show later this year owing to "natural story progression".

Meanwhile, Nikki Patel (below), who portrays Dev Alahan's (Jimmi Harkishin) daughter Amber Kalirai, will now appear on an "episodic" basis as opposed to an ongoing contractual one. Her storyline will see Amber leave for university in September and make numerous reappearances thereafter.

However, reports claiming that Andrew Whyment (Kirk Sutherland) it to be written out of the Weatherfield soap are unfounded as he recently signed another contract to remain with the show for at least another year.

A spokeswoman for the soap this afternoon told DS: "Some characters will be leaving Coronation Street later this year as part of natural story progression. Characters have always come and gone in Weatherfield, some stay for years, others pass through. This is not about cost cutting it is about storytelling."

Dixon, 20, joined Corrie in March 2007 and is now the only remaining original member of the Morton family - most of whom were axed last year. Polish actress Opalinska, meanwhile, first appeared on the Street in February 2007 and has mainly served as a background character at local knicker factory Underworld.

Other recent or upcoming storyline-based departures include Sharon Duce (Paula Carp), Sophiya Haque (Poppy Morales), Pattie Clare (Mary Taylor), Edward de Souza (Colin Grimshaw), Ayesha Dharker (Tara Mandal) and Andrew Sachs (Ramsay Clegg).

In March, Philip McGinley was written out of the show as his character Tom Kerrigan had 'run his course'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Omg! Spoiler alert! I hear that kryten, the cat, rimmer and dave lister are due to make an appearence soon. Apparently kryten is going to go work in the knicker factory.

Source - Digital Spy
    Former Coronation Street regulars Charlie Lawson and Nicholas Cochrane are to return to Weatherfield for a "big old McDonald wedding", Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The duo, who play father and son Jim and Andy McDonald (below), return to filming at Manchester's Granada Studios later this month for their son and twin brother Steve's (Simon Gregson) second wedding to loudmouth barmaid Becky Granger (Katherine Kelly).

Speaking to DS, the soap's producer Kim Crowther said: "Lloyd [Mullaney] plays quite a major part in Steve's next wedding when Jim McDonald makes a reappearance. The thing that Jim gets embroiled in isn't what you'd expect, though."

She continued: "Lloyd manages to cause a rumpus at the nuptials without it all panning out as you'd think - considering Lloyd's going out with Liz, that is. Jim - and actually Andy, too - reappear, so it'll be a big old McDonald wedding."

A Corrie source added: "It's a lovely McDonald family reunion but as with all soap weddings, there's an extremely dramatic ending to the day."

Earlier this year, Steve and Becky's first wedding didn't go to plan when the blushing bride turned up at the register office in an inebriated state. The registrar subsequently refused to marry them.

Lawson briefly reprised his role as Jim at the end of 2007 for his former screen wife Liz's (Bev Callard) sham wedding to Vernon (Ian Reddington).

Cochrane, meanwhile, was last seen on the cobbles as Andy on February 20, 2004, when he left for a new life in Spain after serving as a witness at his brother's second marriage to Karen McDonald (Suranne Jones). Andy has since been cited in several scripts but has remained unseen.

Steve and Becky's "bigger and better" second nuptials are due to air in mid-August.

There are dramatic times coming up in Coronation Street.

Claire Peacock will try to throw herself off a hospital roof after miscarrying.

She loses the baby due to a potentially fatal blood clot on her lung.

Claire (Julia Haworth) and husband Ashley (Steven Arnold) are set to go through a rocky patch in their marriage and constantly row over cash. In heart-stopping scenes, Claire will collapse and be rushed to hospital, where doctors reveal to Ashley that his wife could die from a blood clot that’s formed, and also that she’s pregnant.

Claire will survive the op, but her baby won’t, leaving Claire so distraught she decides to end it all.

Ashley discovers her teetering on the hospital’s roof and says: “Claire, Claire, what are you doing? Please get away from the edge. What would the boys and me do without you?”

Claire responds: “Do you see everybody out there Ashley?

They’re normal people getting on with their lives…Why can’t I be normal Ashley? Why can’t I be normal?”

She then begs Ashley not to have her sectioned again.

Claire was sectioned under the Mental Health Act in 2006 suffering from severe post-natal depression after the birth of Freddie.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I dont like Claire as a character or Julia as an actress...

Not looking forward to these storylines, although i'm sure corrie writers will write them perfectly.

There is rumours of Karen McDonald returning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

JP Liz wrote: »
    There is rumours of Karen McDonald returning

I hope they stay rumours. Wouldn't like to see Karen back on the street, dont see any point to her.

...hmmm...not sure I like Claire and Ashley storyline - doesn't it seem rather pointless? (as I'm presuming she'll sort herself out within no time at all and Ashley and Claire will just go back to being invisible) ...also- the roof connection seems a bit strange given what happened with Casey (...I realise it wasn't technically a roof but near enough).

Jason and Tina get it on next week - David wont be happy

Coronation Street actor Craig Kelly will leave the ITV soap after less than a year on screen.
    The 38-year-old former Queer As Folk actor - who plays Weatherfield's mysterious businessman Luke Strong - will bow out of the show later this year when his character disappears over suspicious circumstances.

A Corrie spokesperson commented: "Some characters arrive in Weatherfield and stay for years, others pass through affecting the lives of the residents, just as in real life.
    "Luke will not be killed off and the door will be left open for a possible return in the future."
    Kelly will film his final scenes in the coming months and remain on screen until October. Meanwhile, Alison King returns to filming from her maternity leave and will re-appear in Weatherfield at around the same time as Kelly's exit

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a160755/craig-kelly-quits-coronation-street.html

Very disappointed with this, really like Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

Yes , he is one of my favorites also. Maybe the will change the scrip.

Deliquent David Platt will be beaten to a bloody pulp by a mystery attacker in a gripping corrie whodunnit

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/2505402/Splattered-Platt-on-Coronation-Street.html

My money is on Gail.

David Platt will be beaten to a bloody pulp by a mystery attacker in a gripping Corrie whodunnit.
    David, 18, played by Jack P Shepherd, is bludgeoned in a back alley and left bleeding and unconscious later this summer.

The bad boy recently put love rival Gary Windass up to a robbery to land him in jail. But he has made so many other enemies, the police won't know where to start hunting his assailant.

The main suspects in the attack are Jason Grimshaw (Ryan Thomas), ex-girlfriend Tina McIntyre (Michelle Keegan), his mum's boyfriend Joe McIntyre (Reece Dinsdale) and Len Windass (Conor Ryan) - Gary's terrifying uncle.

Jason and Joe both have run-ins with David before the attack and without alibis they will be Weatherfield police's prime suspects.

Jason's bust-up with the hairdresser's gopher comes after David continues to harass his former girlfriend Tina - who is now dating Jason.

On the day of the attack, Jason calls David a "sick little weirdo" and pins him against a wall. He then growls: "Maybe I should teach you a lesson you'll never forget."

Depressive Joe - who is addicted to painkillers - is equally hellbent on revenge after David encourages his mum and Joe's girlfriend Gail (Helen Worth) to dump him, leaving him with no home and no money.

Viewers will see a seething and simmering Joe sat alone in his van close to Coronation Street minutes before the attack.

Even his ex-love Tina, who was threatened by David just prior to his beating, is also a suspect. She has no alibi either and calls into the Rovers Return seconds before the attack looking for Jason.

Meanwhile, the whole Windass family is out for David's blood after he egged on Gary to take part in the robbery - before turning him into the cops.

When Uncle Len finds out, he wants revenge.

A Street insider told TV Biz: "David's assailant will be kept a closely-guarded secret.

"Apart from Joe and Jason, Len could very well be the violent attacker or Tina may just have had enough of David's antics. Or could it be someone else?"

David's behaviour has made him so unpopular with viewers that Oasis legend Noel Gallagher, 42, has actually talked about giving him a pasting.

The Mancunian star told fans earlier this year: "Coronation Street is such an institution. I love it.

"I could just have a walk-on part. A little, tiny part. Preferably punching David Platt's face in. And then go on to his mum."

About flipping time someone bait him

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

I'd be in front of Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Ah brilliant!!! Its about time....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭sineadCharl

Finally!! I've been waiting years for him to get a slap!
    He's such a weird little thing. Had the biggest boil on his face for weeks, couldn't stop staring at it . He just freaks me out!!
    used to live in Manchester and had to walk past the studios everyday. One day I was out shopping and saw someone I recognised but didn't know where from, but waved over because I didn't want to seem rude.....turned out it was Ken Barlow...shamer! he must have thought i was some nut ball fan.

VETERAN actor Andrew Sachs' Corrie character will be killed off by a heart attack

The Fawlty Towers legend, 79, wanted to stay on in Weatherfield after his current three-month stint as Ramsay Clegg.
    But producers ignored his pleas and he will depart in a tragic summer storyline. We told last month how Ramsay was set to fly to Australia, breaking Emily Nugent's heart. It left open the possibility of him returning. But in a new twist, he collapses and dies boarding the jet.
    A source on the ITV1 soap said: "Andrew's character was only meant to be temporary but his departure will be dramatic."
    Ramsay, estranged half-brother of Norris Cole (Malcolm Hebden), had flown in from Australia. He failed to build bridges with newsagent Norris but did win the heart of Emily (Eileen Derbyshire). She took him to see her murdered husband's grave.
    Now Emily will plead for Ramsay to be buried in Weatherfield not Oz.
    Andrew won his Corrie role after he was taunted in cruel phone calls from Radio 2 pair Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.
    He said after he landed the job: "I'm here for three months. They have an option for another three months. I would want to do it if it's still a nice story."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/2511831/Fawlty-ticker.html

Corrie's Reece Dinsdale is quitting the Street - despite being offered a massive pay rise to stay.

Stunned soap bosses wanted to up his £100,000-a-year salary by a third so he'd carry on playing Gail Platt's pill-popping lover Joe McIntyre.

But Reece, 49, is turning his back on Weatherfield beacuse he's scared of being typecast. His character will be killed off next year when he takes an accidental overdose of painkillers.

Last night a Corrie source said: "Reece has been a massive hit and top brass thought they could strike a long-term deal. He was offered a massive pay rise but he turned it down.

"Executives were surprised. They wanted him to but he's wriggled off the hook."

Viewers have already seen kitchen fitter Joe get hooked on painkillers to cope with a back injury, and he'll soon go to drug dealers to feed his habit, turning on unlucky-in-love partner Gail.

Reece - who was in hit sitcom Home To Roost with John Thaw - joined Corrie in April 2008, saying talented actress Michelle Keegan, who plays his onscreen daughter Tina, was the reason. A Coronation Street spokesman said: "We wish Reece all the best."

He must not want the cash

:( great, what with that and Davids upcoming assault, we'll be lumbered with more of tragic Gail Platt stories.

Steve McDonald’s new bride will be saved from a jail sentence for dealing drugs – by Mother Teresa.

Becky (Katherine Kelly, 29) spends her wedding night in a cell, framed by a dodgy cop and her ex, Slug.

She tells Steve (Simon Gregson, 33) her only chance is if he tracks down “Mother Teresa” – a dealer who used to supply her and Slug with drugs.

Poor Becky

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

No problem. Last time I saw her she could stroll out of the cell, right between the bars. And she's got a chest like a guardsman's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭BaileysComet

Epicurus wrote: »
    :( great, what with that and Davids upcoming assault, we'll be lumbered with more of tragic Gail Platt stories.

Oh, snap! That's almost exactly what I said when I heard that Joe was leaving. A bittersweet announcement.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/2535738/Jack-Duckworth-quits-Coronation-Street.html

<H2 class=padding-bottom-7 style="FONT-SIZE: 1.05em; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.05em">CORRIE legend Jack Duckworth is moving out of Weatherfield - but bosses have reassured fans he will not be leaving the show.

Actor Bill Tarmey, 68 - who has played Jack for 30 years - is cutting back on acting after health problems.

Viewers will see pigeon-fancier Jack move out of the house he shared with late wife Vera (Liz Dawn) - and into the plush digs of millionaire new love Connie Rathbone (Rita May) in the fictional suburb of Middleton.

Bill made the decision to cut back on his role after talks with Coronation Street supremo Kim Crowther.

But the star will remain in the ITV1 soap, popping back to film scenes in the Rovers Return and Roy's Rolls. ...............
    </H2>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Well, I'm sure anyone who has read Inside Soap magazine will know
    Joe is leaving and rumours she will be killed off as he takes a drug overdose. Michelle Keegen, who play Tina said that the exit would be emotional and dramatic and that she didn't want Reece Dinsdale(Joe) to leave and said that she would be crying when the exit was filmed. Corrie bosses tried to persuade Reece Dinsdale to stay but he decided it was time to move on
    :eek:

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement