Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying from Halfords

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

buildabong wrote: »
    jeez I didnt expect quite a responce!!!
    I was quite cheesed off yesterday after reading "some peoples" comments, but thanks to the rest. (BTW this is my first brand new bike I have ever purchased, before I always bought fully assembled secondhand: Giant ATX 760 and a Trek 4100 is the last bikes I owned).

Okay to clear up one thing about my Halfords buying experience yesterday (aka the drugged monkeys comment):
    I asked the sales-teenager if I could try a bike out , he said no problem and walked off like most of the Halfords staff do. So i get on the bike, what happens: handel bars go one way, bike goes the other and I smack my shin on the pedal (I woke up this morning with a nice bruised shin). Anyway i went to the other sales-person and asked him to tighten the handelbars - Then he comments; "Sir, the bikes are not assembled properly - they are just for display." - Now they $X~*%*&$$ tell me.

No signs warning people of this.
    The person that sold me my bike (Halfords sales-person number 3 was super friendly and very helpfull and carried my bike for me. :D So I should have stated that 2 thirds of Halford staff are (like a troop of drugged Monkeys) sorry I mean unprofessional.
    Love these experiences of life
    Peace :):):)

i believe ya , but why not just sy that at the start, and tbh a sales teenager has just prop spent the day in school 9-4 then off to work, give him a break youd prop have the same interest in sellin a bike for 400 when your only getting paid e8 per hour:D;)
    and i didnt realise that the bike as a disgrace like that, i just expected spongey brakes an crappy gears, why put the bars on without taking the 3secs o tighten them??? now thats not right:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget to check every thing after a month or so on a new bike or a rebuild. This is to give the nuts time to bed in or loosen and the brake cables to take up the slack. And yes it's good to know how to adjust things on a bike.

Any decent bike shop should tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

kona wrote: »
    ye i agree that alot of cyclists are know it all pricks......ya gotta play em at their own game, this seems to work after spending 4 years around bikes and cyclists has taught me.

Yes, a stunningly hypocritical point.
    and if you actually read the thread the OP was coming on like he was the best thing since sliced bread, and bad mouthing people, i just threw it back at him . did anybody notice all the advice i gave him?? no???

Do you give your shop customers 'advice' delivered in the same tone ? I highly doubt it.
    i ve been cycling for years.....and on this board for 1yr and a bit.........i dont get no pally lol i just get abused lol

Your comments tend towards the abusive. Certainly they are aggressive. It's not surprising that people are a bit intolerant.

You appear to be quite knowledgeable re bicycles, perhaps take a bit longer to compose your posts, abandon the text speak and tone down the aggression.

Verb wrote: »
    Yes, a stunningly hypocritical point.

Do you give your shop customers 'advice' delivered in the same tone ? I highly doubt it.

Your comments tend towards the abusive. Certainly they are aggressive. It's not surprising that people are a bit intolerant.

You appear to be quite knowledgeable re bicycles, perhaps take a bit longer to compose your posts, abandon the text speak and tone down the aggression.

if they approach me in a condascending,abusive know it all manner similar to the opening post(have you read it????)...then yes il shine em up and send them on, i dont particularly want them to buy a bike from the shop as if thats there attitude to me/bikes i dont really want to deal with them again especially in a situation where guaratee's or repair work is involved.
    im sure this is the same in all shops, no profit is worth that hassle, especially if you can sell the bike 5mins later.

if they are nice and basically totally opposite to above descprition ill be more than happy to advise them on stuff and give out deals.
    i can be very nice or a 9-5 NASTY.
    all has to do with how you come off, if you look at my other posts youll see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Halfords is a FRED zone

• Advertisement

Halfords is a FRED zone

so do you work there????
    all the gear feck all skill:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Halfords is a FRED zone

what's a FRED zone?

niceonetom wrote: »
    what's a FRED zone?

if im on the same page as crashoveroid , its a term used in mtb to describe a poser basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

what's a FRED zone?

Polite definition of a FRED: a high-end recreational cyclists.

Not so polite: A fat tosspot with a €3000 bike, who goes out for 3 hours at the weekend and thinks he's Eddie Merckx.

Polite definition of a FRED: a high-end recreational cyclists.

Not so polite: A fat tosspot with a €3000 bike, who goes out for 3 hours at the weekend and thinks he's Eddie Merckx.

yup:D although i dont think halfords clientel spend over e100 on a bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

what's a FRED zone?

This guy is a Fred and knows it
    http://www.thefredcast.com/?page_id=22

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Raam wrote: »
    This guy is a Fred and knows it
    http://www.thefredcast.com/?page_id=22

This is a great podcast, though his updates have been slack recently. He did good Tour coverage and the shows on Interbike are well worth a listen.

Dave is, however, a right-wing Republican who gets all embarrassed if he has to talk about anything to do with peeing, erectile dysfunction or his ass, but that in itself has a certain charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is a great podcast, though his updates have been slack recently. He did good Tour coverage and the shows on Interbike are well worth a listen.

Dave is, however, a right-wing Republican who gets all embarrassed if he has to talk about anything to do with peeing, erectile dysfunction or his ass, but that in itself has a certain charm.

I enjoyed the ones were he was riding in one of the official cars in the Tour Of California.

I think we've taken this thread well off topic...so...
    Halfords is a shop near where I live, but I have never bought anything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Raam wrote: »
    Halfords is a shop near where I live, but I have never bought anything there.

this was true of me too... untill the day before yesterday. i bought a pretty good pair of polaris waterproof gloves there (€40). i was amazed to see that they were selling off full sus mountain bikes at €129. i know they're made of pig iron and that the welds look like the work of aforementioned 'drugged monkeys', but damn that's crazy cheap.

Advertisement