Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer - Discussion/Help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Danger781 wrote: »
    For those of you using unRAID;

What Dockers are you using? I have finished implementing my torrent / media setup (Deluge, Transmission, Plex, Sonarr and Couchpotato). Also set up Teamspeak and DuckDNS last night.

never heard of sonarr before but i have been looking for something to automate
    the process.

so i set it up just now wow its amazing thank you for posting it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

So my desktop died leaving me with only my server to work off for the time being. I have an Ubuntu VM installed on unRAID and I'm wondering if it would be possible to work off that somehow..

The most obvious solution is to use the abandoned laptop running XP and just VGA connect it to one of monitors. I can then access the VM via a Web browser or install Terminals or something.

An ideal solution would be to connect my monitor and keyboard to the server and have the VM open that way but I somehow don't think that's possible.

Danger781 wrote: »
    So my desktop died leaving me with only my server to work off for the time being. I have an Ubuntu VM installed on unRAID and I'm wondering if it would be possible to work off that somehow..

The most obvious solution is to use the abandoned laptop running XP and just VGA connect it to one of monitors. I can then access the VM via a Web browser or install Terminals or something.

An ideal solution would be to connect my monitor and keyboard to the server and have the VM open that way but I somehow don't think that's possible.

Can u not RDP or VNC to it?

NoDrama wrote: »
    Can u not RDP or VNC to it?

That would involve getting out the old laptop I assume? I was just hoping I wouldn't need to do that but I guess I don't really have a choice.

From what I can gather I would need another graphics card for VGA pass through to a monitor.

Going to try and install Kodi today before 4pm to try and watch the United game.. No Desktop so I'm out of other options!

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or not so though I'd get it out there.

I installed the latest HP SPP recently (2015.10). This installed a new BIOS update among other things. Since then, I've noticed that my USB external hard disk (which I use for Altaro backups) doesn't spin down when idle. It just runs constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

My Motherboard failed two weeks back on a Saturday night :(

i contacted hp via chat on Saturday night i explained the issue and they shipped out a new board which arrived on the Tuesday

thought the support was fantastic considering the price of the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I'm having serious issues installing windows 8.1 on the proliant g8

did anyone ever get this error msg during the windows installation?

"we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one..."

i google this issue, I am not the only one however i tried the solutions mentioned to no avail

i tried what is suggested here

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Installing-Windows-server-W2K12-on-a-Proliant-DL380-G7/td-p/6466114

but that didn't help

The set up that i have consists of 2 arrays each with 1 logical drive, 500 and 320 gb respectively.

I've enabled virtual install disk option.

I have windows in a bootable usb pen drive which is usb2 and I insert in the usb2 port

if anyone has any ideas it would be great

thanks

Do you have any USB drives attached, or a Micro SD card in the slot on the motherboard? These can definitely cause this issue.

EDIT: could even be the flash drive you're installing the OS from.

attached i just have the usb key with the OS and usb keyboard/mouse

no microsd

I'll try to boot from another usb in case the issue is with the key

Used another usb2 drive as bootable with 8.1 and still same issue so it's not the key. Must be some setting somewhere. It's driving me nuts!

• Advertisement

j4vier wrote: »
    attached i just have the usb key with the OS and usb keyboard/mouse

no microsd

I'll try to boot from another usb in case the issue is with the key

Used another usb2 drive as bootable with 8.1 and still same issue so it's not the key. Must be some setting somewhere. It's driving me nuts!
    You might need to find another way to install the OS rather than a flash drive. I'm almost certain I came across this before and it was the simple reason that I had a flash drive attached when attempting to install.

You could try a trial iLO licence and mount the Windows ISO in the iLO console. That's how I installed Server 2012 R2 on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm having serious issues installing windows 8.1 on the proliant g8

did anyone ever get this error msg during the windows installation?

"we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one..."

i google this issue, I am not the only one however i tried the solutions mentioned to no avail

i tried what is suggested here

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Installing-Windows-server-W2K12-on-a-Proliant-DL380-G7/td-p/6466114

but that didn't help

The set up that i have consists of 2 arrays each with 1 logical drive, 500 and 320 gb respectively.

I've enabled virtual install disk option.

I have windows in a bootable usb pen drive which is usb2 and I insert in the usb2 port

if anyone has any ideas it would be great

thanks

At that point pull the usb drive out and put it back in.

Windows needs a MBR partition to install, which it seems the script looks at the first boot device before continuing. I'd put money that the first device in the order(one of the harddrives or usb key) has a GPT partition.

thanks guys for the inputs provided

i tried removing and re-intalling the usb drive but no luck

in the end i solved it by creating a bootable micro sd card and inserting it in the slot on the motherboard.

Funnily enough, by inserting the same micro sd via a usb adapter, it still would not proceed to install windows so clearly a bug with the whole usb process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Where are you guys buying your Micro servers?

Quick question regarding cash back? I received mine in the post ,I'm pretty sure it said 60 euro. However on my account, it was lodged as 60 GBP so about 70 euro. Is it a mistake from my bank? Can anyone confirm whether they received 60 euro or pounds?

Quick question regarding cash back? I received mine in the post ,I'm pretty sure it said 60 euro. However on my account, it was lodged as 60 GBP so about 70 euro. Is it a mistake from my bank? Can anyone confirm whether they received 60 euro or pounds?

My cheque arrived in GBP - Can't remember the amount exactly.. I got charged to lodge it.

Danger781 wrote:
    My cheque arrived in GBP - Can't remember the amount exactly.. I got charged to lodge it.

Danger781 wrote:

I used the lodge function at the atm not sure if they charge for that also these days. Are you based in ROI? Mine definitely says euro, I checked the receipt which takes a photocopy of it. I guess the bank will self adjust the balance when they realise the mistake

As expect, the bank fixed the error but it seems that I only netted about 55 euro rather than 60!

There's a new SKU of the MicroServer that comes with an i3-3240 processor. As this is a 55W TDP CPU, HP have a new heatsink which can accommodate up to 65W TDP rather than the 35W of the standard heatsink.

I was hoping to get my mits on one so I can use a Xeon in there but they're very hard to find. The best price I can find is €200 for the heatsink alone!

The HP spare part number is 832667-001.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Karsini wrote: »
    There's a new SKU of the MicroServer that comes with an i3-3240 processor. As this is a 55W TDP CPU, HP have a new heatsink which can accommodate up to 65W TDP rather than the 35W of the standard heatsink.

I was hoping to get my mits on one so I can use a Xeon in there but they're very hard to find. The best price I can find is €200 for the heatsink alone!

The HP spare part number is 832667-001.

Give this a look:

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

It seems that it will handle some Xeons without too much trouble...

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Give this a look:

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

It seems that it will handle some Xeons without too much trouble...
    Hmm, I might be OK so. The Xeon I have is the E3-1220 v2 (3.1 GHz with no HT and rated for 69W TDP). I'll give it a try and see.

Advertisement