Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decryption help

• 27-07-2016 4:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone make out the address where this man died, his regular address and his occupation? And the qualification of the informant? I just cannot read this handwriting!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

place of death : Jervis St. Hosp
    address : 6 Stratford row
    occ :naval pensioner
    informant qual. is 'inmate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Can anyone make out the address where this man died, his regular address and his occupation? And the qualification of the informant? I just cannot read this handwriting!!

Just a stab at it from my point of view, probably wrong:

Place of death: "... St Hospital"
    Informant:"M Kelly(?) ... Jervis St Hospital"

If Informant is from Jervis Street Hospital that might be Hospital mentioned in place of death. Again I might be wrong on most of above, it's not the easiest of hands to read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks - that is more or less what I deduced but I couldn't make out pensioner or Jervis!

Confirms he's probably not my guy but I need to get a look at naval records to investigate for sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Confirms he's probably not my guy but I need to get a look at naval records to investigate for sure.
    Just to add to the above, do not be misled by ‘groom’ – I’d guess after he was invalided out of the RN he obtained work in Dublin as a groom.

Is he the first of these Georges?

ADM records are very easy to get lost in, I nearly lost my mind researching an Irish RN officer during the Napoleonic era, but I got there eventually. If you could refine on rank/DOB etc when searching it would be worthwhile looking at pay books records. Other record sets worth a look are

British Royal Navy & Royal Marines service and pension records, 1704-1919 and

Register of applicants to Greenwich Hospital for admission, out-pensions or other relief. (he might have qualified).

Many of the record sets are not cross-indexed so you have to navigate around them yourself and not give up too easily!

Thanks Pedro - I posted on rootschat to get some advice as well. I figured the same as you regarding occupation.

That navy record - the birth date is 10 years out, but we all know how wrong death certs can be. His wife was born approx 1858 so his being roughly 1860 sounds about right.

The trouble is that, if he's my guy, I know very little about him. He's possibly the brother-in-law of my gg-grandmother. His wife said she was married on the 1901 but he is not present, and is a widow on 1911. I've never found either a marriage for the couple or a birth record of any kind for their son born 1894. Up to now, I suspected they were not married, and I only confirmed his first name as George 2 weeks ago after researching the son in later life. I've asked the GRO in Roscommon to search the Army records and the overseas births records they hold to look for the family.

The census in 1901 has lots of mistakes on it and I only got this 1900 death to rule it out, but I don't think I can totally do that yet. I have ruled out another George Russell death in 1903.

The whole search is complicated by there being a famous George Russell (AE - the artist) so newspapers, etc throw up lots about him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Further thought: when I look at the image viewer for Pedro's suggested George Russell - top left, do you see that as information about marriage to Mary?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6641388#imageViewerLink

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Further thought: when I look at the image viewer for Pedro's suggested George Russell - top left, do you see that as information about marriage to Mary?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6641388#imageViewerLink

No. From memory the algorithm is random and the same image is not always shown. However I did spot that GR served on HMS Dryad, probably this one and on HMS Polyp[hemus] so if it is the correct GR you have a bit of history to go with him.

Another clue is the final entry, on bottom right, you see "In Haslar" - that place is the Royal Hospital Haslar , the biggest Naval hospital; is date of entry was June '83 and left on 3 Aug [hidden]

Advertisement