Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family search transcribers wanted this weekend

Options
  • 17-07-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm a little late posting this but this weekend familysearch.org have made scanned records available in the hopes they will be transcribed.

There are Irish records in there for anyone interested.

I've transcribed as many as I could fit in, and will continue to up to the deadline tomorrow.

You download their software and then pull down the records in batches.

To see the Irish records, set the batch download to "show all projects" as otherwise you will only see some American records they most need transcribed.

There are Irish civil registrations for births, deaths, marriages. I'm finding many of the Irish ones are very difficult to read (compared to the American records I've been transcribing), though the records are described as intermediate level.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was merrily transcribing army enlistments from Wyoming, when I saw the Irish records on the list. I thought I'd give them a go. That idea didn't last long and I had to return my batch after only one entry. I decided to stick to the soldiers. I found the Irish ones quite hard to read too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have a busy week ahead but I will try to catch up on this next week. Why is it saying '15 hours' on FS website? Is there a deadline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes for some reason it's just for 72 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Nice cheap way of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

spurious wrote: »
    I was merrily transcribing army enlistments from Wyoming, when I saw the Irish records on the list. I thought I'd give them a go. That idea didn't last long and I had to return my batch after only one entry. I decided to stick to the soldiers. I found the Irish ones quite hard to read too.

Yes, same as that. I've decided to stick with Alabama soldiers. Which is a pity as I came across records local to me in the Irish births but just couldn't read the handwriting.

• Advertisement

R0C wrote: »
    Yes, same as that. I've decided to stick with Alabama soldiers. Which is a pity as I came across records local to me in the Irish births but just couldn't read the handwriting.

I've done a few but the hand writing is very hard to decypher. It's a pity u can't pick your own area. I'm getting Brandon and banbridge as areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't manage to download the indexing programme. I click on the box and save a .exe file, but then I can't find it on my PC.... any ideas?

Tychoo wrote: »
    I've done a few but the hand writing is very hard to decypher. It's a pity u can't pick your own area. I'm getting Brandon and banbridge as areas.

Try checking in or returning that batch and downloading a new batch. I got Antrim the first time but later got an area relevant to me (Galway). I had hoped I'd manage to read local records easier as I ought to recognise townlands and surnames but the handwriting was that cryptic, I had to give up on that batch too.

KildareFan wrote: »
    I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't manage to download the indexing programme. I click on the box and save a .exe file, but then I can't find it on my PC.... any ideas?

Try a search for the file type? Mine went straight to desktop, but maybe check your downloads folder.

Yes for some reason it's just for 72 hours.

Doesn't make sense really. Oh well, if its not there by next weekend then I'll check out other records.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense really. Oh well, if its not there by next weekend then I'll check out other records.

I wonder do they have a permanent volunteer group and this is a way of getting people into it?

I went back and got a different Irish record and it's not as bad as the others, though the scans seem quite poor quality ro me.

R0C wrote: »
    Try checking in or returning that batch and downloading a new batch. I got Antrim the first time but later got an area relevant to me (Galway). I had hoped I'd manage to read local records easier as I ought to recognise townlands and surnames but the handwriting was that cryptic, I had to give up on that batch too.

Its back to school for us so. I was hoping for records for the Kilkenny:confused: area.

I wonder do they have a permanent volunteer group and this is a way of getting people into it?

I went back and got a different Irish record and it's not as bad as the others, though the scans seem quite poor quality ro me.

I haven't done any as yet mainly because I need time to focus on it and don't always get the time I want, or when I want it. Hoping to do it soon though.

KildareFan wrote: »

It's called Indexing_windows.exe
    It should be in your downloads folder.
    Usually C:\users\YourName\Downloads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I did 10 before giving up due to bad handwriting (despite the included 'handwriting guide'). Ended up having to use the 'blank' option and may even have returned some wrong details :eek::o Why the authorities didn't insist on block capitals I'll never know.

I can still access it. Doing a few more tonight.

Same here. Doing some Donegal records. One has suck with me, a girl no first name lived only for one hour.

Tychoo wrote: »
    Same here. Doing some Donegal records. One has suck with me, a girl no first name lived only for one hour.

Oh some of them are terrible. Poor fathers coming into town and registering the deaths of three children.
    I had one child was down as living for 3 minutes. So sad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's the nature of genealogy that we record the deaths of so many but as you say some of them are terrible.
    What I find very sad are those newspaper birth notices which are published the day after the infant has died.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's still allowing me download batches. Was getting Ballymena and Ballymoney, now getting Dublin North - mostly from the NDU and various asylums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

What period are you getting? 1864 - 1881, or early twentieth century?

tabbey wrote: »
    What period are you getting? 1864 - 1881, or early twentieth century?

1864 and sometimes 1870.

1864 and sometimes 1870.

Same here. I'm in Sligo and Omagh at the moment. Getting better at reading the names town lands I use wiki for for reference.

I was using John Grenham's site for places. I notice on 'arbitration' they do not retain the street addresses on the Dublin entries which is a pity.

Advertisement