Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My First (Serious) Job Interview

Options
  • 09-01-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi guys!

So I've been called in for my first serious interview in a couple of weeks and I'm at a loss with what to wear. At a loss with how to actually do an interview as well but... one problem at a time!

I've never worn "work-wear" before. Knee-length skirts, blouses, blazers etc. When I have tried them on, I feel massively uncomfortbale. Something about the feel of the material, the way it's kind of stiff on the body so it's not too revealing I suppose, makes me feel like I'm in my old school uniform. Bleh. I just don't feel like myself at all. I feel more like a 6 year old girl whose trying on her mam's clothes if ya get me!

I really don't want to have to worry about what I'm wearing since there'll be so many other things going on that day to preoccupy my nerves! So being uncomfortable in my outfit is the last thing I'll need.

Obviously though, I will have to wear smart business dress on the day. So I have a few questions, if you can help:

1. Which are the best shops for work-wear? I'm 21 so would like clothes that would suit my age, and preferably not be crazy expensive.

2. Would you recommend I play it safe and go with the classic look? E.G. knee-length pencil skirt, blouse and blazer in greys/whites/blacks/pastels? Or is there room for maneuver - bolder colours, bolder dresses? Would something like the picture I attached be appropriate?

3. Can hair be left down or should it be tied up?

4. The hem on work-wear skirts and dresses often seem to fall down to the knee or just past, but I'm quite short and that length makes me look REALLY stumpy. Any short ladies out there have some suggestions for me on how to get around that??

5. Where is the best place to go shopping for shoes? I don't want something boring. I'm happy to wear a smaller heel, but as for the colour and design I'd like something really nice like the pair in the photo.

Thanks a million for any help you can give me! :)

interview-outfit-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It very much depends on what type of company you're interviewing for. For many companies you should stick with the classic trouser/skirt suit. You will be judged on what you wear so it's important to match it to the company. It would be easier to advise you if we knew the type of company or industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Sorry I thought I mentioned what kind of company it is, must have deleted it!

It's a cosmetics company, very well-known, and my position will be in a marketing role so somewhat creative.

In my head, because it's a cosmetics and marketing company, I'd feel there'd be a lot of women there so might be able to wear something nice with a bit of colour. Though just because they sell cosmetics doesn't necessarily mean that, does it :confused:

If I was going for an interview with some huge accounting, investment, banking firm then I wouldn't need to come on here on and ask, I'd definitely be playing it safe and conservative. But I think in this case, it could be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

shoos wrote: »
    It's a cosmetics company, very well-known, and my position will be in a marketing role so somewhat creative.

In my head, because it's a cosmetics and marketing company, I'd feel there'd be a lot of women there so might be able to wear something nice with a bit of colour. Though just because they sell cosmetics doesn't necessarily mean that, does it :confused:

I worked in a company that had a sales/marketing dept for very well known cosmetics (I didnt work in that dept myself) but I would often be asked to help with the set up for interviews (I was in IT) so frequently got the opportunity to see waiting interviewees.

They pretty much all wore conservative. After being hired they would break out into more colour, but for the interview it seemed to be black/navy trouser/skirt suits all the way.

I dont think the picture you attached would be appropriate, sorry (its lovely but not interviewy enough - at least, not from what I saw).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I dont think the picture you attached would be appropriate, sorry (its lovely but not interviewy enough - at least, not from what I saw).

i'd agree with this for the interview I'd stick with a smart suit, dressy top etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

I honestly think that your best bet is to stick with the conservative side of things. Most of my suits are actually dress/blazer combos and find them very wearable, they would possibly also suit your height a wee bit better than a skirt/shirt outfit??

I don't think the photo you have posted would be appropriate for an interview, including the shoes. Not to rain on your parade and I wish you the very best in this interview, but it's worth remembering that you might have to attend several other interviews with different companies, so you should invest in a suit that appropriate for any interview you might get, with any company. I always think a navy suit looks well, with a white or pale pink shirt if you're wearing one. I've also worn a classic business-type dress in a bold (but not in-your-face) blue, with a black blazer, but I'm not mad about that, thinking back on it.

As for shops, I have found really nice suits in Penneys, but you have to be choosy (material can look cheap etc). Next, Dunnes and M&S also good.

For hair - I think it can be up or down, as long as it's quite neat and tidy.

As for the shoes - I would steer well clear of that colour, or any bright colour for an interview, but that's just my opinion. I like that style though.

Perhaps inject some colour with a bright watch or necklace - but keep your outfit muted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm seeing a trend here. Looks like I'll be dropping into my local Debenhams and trying on some suits.

I think I already know the answer to this, but...

I have this dress from topshop, it's purple but its quite dark, not in your face at all. If I were to wear this with a black blazer, black tights and a plain pair of black, office style heels.... would it be at all appropriate?

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=6251849&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour{1}~[purple]&noOfRefinements=1

I'm seeing a trend here. Looks like I'll be dropping into my local Debenhams and trying on some suits.

I have this dress from topshop, it's purple but its quite dark, not in your face at all. If I were to wear this with a black blazer, black tights and a plain pair of black, office style heels.... would it be at all appropriate?

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=6251849&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208523&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour{1}~[purple]&noOfRefinements=1

Its much too short for an interview imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Mango and Zara do some great work appropriate stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Way too short for an interview, and not formal enough.

I'd also never wear black tights to an interview, especially not those thick opaque ones, I'd just wear nude tights.

That said, most of my suits are trouser suits.

I was in mango this evening and they have some great reductions in the sales. I've a suit from there that is one of my favourites

Stheno wrote: »

I was in mango this evening and they have some great reductions in the sales. I've a suit from there that is one of my favourites

Mango is in Arnotts isn't it?

Thanks very much, I'll head in there tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes, although the choice there isn't that great. If you are smaller size you could also check their website which is very good. I have to try their stuff because not everything suits my figure (size 12).

Mango is in Arnotts isn't it?

Thanks very much, I'll head in there tomorrow!

And Swords and Dundrum iirc

debenhams have a good sale also with lots of suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Stheno wrote: »
    Way too short for an interview, and not formal enough.

I'd also never wear black tights to an interview, especially not those thick opaque ones, I'd just wear nude tights.

That said, most of my suits are trouser suits.

Hold on?! What's wrong with black tights??? I've an interview next week and I'm planning a day dress and black rights. It is January???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

I don't see anything wrong with black opaque tights! But that Topshop dress isn't formal enough and looks to be quite short.

ArtyC wrote: »
    Hold on?! What's wrong with black tights??? I've an interview next week and I'm planning a day dress and black rights. It is January???

Just my experience of interviews, I've never actually seen any woman go to an interview in a dress/skirt suit with opaque tights. Personally I think they dress it down too, that's pure personal preference in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I have always worn black tights to interviews - nude tights don't suit my legs at all and theres always a risk of them ripping. I think black tights look much more professional.

OP if you don't feel suits suit you go for a dress and matching jacket. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable. Some nice jewellery can show a little personality in the outfit - the main thing is to look polished and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

H&M aren't bad either, I got a nice grey pencil dress there for final year presentations, wore it for interviews and now wear it in work. Wouldn't go mad on colours. Hair up or down depends on length, but if it looks any way untidy down, pull it back or up.

I would say if you're getting new shoes, make sure you're really comfortable and sure of yourself in them! You could be nervous enough without being wobbly on your feet.

H&M aren't bad either, I got a nice grey pencil dress there for final year presentations, wore it for interviews and now wear it in work. Wouldn't go mad on colours. Hair up or down depends on length, but if it looks any way untidy down, pull it back or up.

I would say if you're getting new shoes, make sure you're really comfortable and sure of yourself in them! You could be nervous enough without being wobbly on your feet.

Is wearing flats out of the question?

I have a bit of a dodgy knee, can wear heels if I must but I'd rather not risk hurting myself. Would flats in an interview look out of place?

Is wearing flats out of the question?

I have a bit of a dodgy knee, can wear heels if I must but I'd rather not risk hurting myself. Would flats in an interview look out of place?

Not with the right outfit and shoes.

Could you even manage a small heel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

As long as they are not really cheapy looking ballet flats - just make sure they look like a proper shoe. I'd prefer to see someone in flats rather than ridiculously high heels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

For a marketing role with a cosmetic company, I would definitely go for something a little more flamboyant (the outfit in the picture is perfect), but it's no harm to have a interview suit in the wardrobe because you never know when you may wear it.

Try Oasis, Topshop, Awear. River Island or even Forever 21 or New Look at your age.

Also, I would avoid trouser suits like the plague.

Lux23 wrote: »
    For a marketing role with a cosmetic company, I would definitely go for something a little more flamboyant (the outfit in the picture is perfect), but it's no harm to have a interview suit in the wardrobe because you never know when you may wear it.

Try Oasis, Topshop, Awear. River Island or even Forever 21 or New Look at your age.

Also, I would avoid trouser suits like the plague.

From personal experience - I totally disagree. The person hiring is going to be a business person, a brand manager or account manager, not necessarily female, and normal business clothing is considered professional, not flamboyancy. Marketing staff are selling product, not themselves, if it was a role in a fashion design house Id agree - but not to market cosmetics where success is measured in how many sku's you are shifting off the warehouse floor.

From personal experience - I totally disagree. The person hiring is going to be a business person, a brand manager or account manager, not necessarily female, and normal business clothing is considered professional, not flamboyancy. Marketing staff are selling product, not themselves, if it was a role in a fashion design house Id agree - but not to market cosmetics where success is measured in how many sku's you are shifting off the warehouse floor.

I'd be with this 100%

Dress professionally for the interview, suit, nice top, well polished shoes, smart hair etc.

And to the person who said avoid trouser suits, why?

I'll be avoiding trouser suits anyway, I tried on a couple from Next and they just don't suit me at all!

I'll play it safe with a nice soft pencil skirt, maybe a light grey, and a white shirt tucked in - I think that would be the best.

Just have to find now a good pair of shoes, I think I will wear heels since they'll make the whole outfit look a lot better.

Any more recommendations for shoe shops that do nice work heels?

Also thanks again for all the comments guys, interesting to see the different views. Is it just me who finds it really strange how limited professional work wear is with regards what you can wear? I would have thought once you look sharp, professional, clean cut you could mess around with it a bit - nothing extreme obviously, but a definitely more so than what people have discussed on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You can play around with it. You just have to pass the interview first.

You can play around with it. You just have to pass the interview first.

+1

Interview wear is not generally work wear. In my last job I wore quite casual wear but I interviewed in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tallyv

yeah I agree stick to the smart conservative look zara is great and you could get a chanel inspired jacket and team it with trousers and wear your hair up, good make up and painted nails and minimal jewellery et.good luck!

Also thanks again for all the comments guys, interesting to see the different views. Is it just me who finds it really strange how limited professional work wear is with regards what you can wear? I would have thought once you look sharp, professional, clean cut you could mess around with it a bit - nothing extreme obviously, but a definitely more so than what people have discussed on here!

For interviews yes, day to day, much more flexibility than guys in my experience.

I wear a combination of suits, dresses on their own, dresses with jackets, and skirts/trousers with jackets and smart tops It's pretty endless what I can wear to work.

On non client days I slob in in a hoody and jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Any more recommendations for shoe shops that do nice work heels?
    QUOTE]

I buy my work shoes in either Office or M&S. I don't wear a very big heel to work and I find they generally have shoes that wear well. And buy black, this is not the time for hot pink shoes! Forget about not wanting boring shoes, buy a nice pair of courts, you will get the use out of them.

Go conservative for the interview, you will be meeting a HR person. They need to feel confident you are professional, they're not interested in your flamboyant side. You won't go wrong if you are as formal as possible. Get your bag right as well, even if you have to borrow one you wouldn't normally be seen dead with.

Both Next and M&S also do petite ranges for shorter women.

I've worn a lot of dresses and blazers to interviews as well, just try and be as ladylike as possible. And have neutral nails, no siren reds. And don't go caked in make up/perfume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I had my first serious interview recently with an accounting firm and I wore the following and got the job so it should be more than suitable.

Black-Peplum-Dress.jpg

My dress was closer to knee length

627341_main?$CrossSellProductPage200$

1_134595_FS_Gold-Metal-Coil-Stretch-Belt.JPG

I got everything in A wear. The main thing is being comfortable so you don't fidget in the interview and I found a dress to be the best thing to wear.

Advertisement