Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of info in threads

• 12-04-2012 2:59pm

Starting for raindog.promo's post
    I'm amazed by the number of posts looking for people (to rent a rehearsal room, play a gig, arrange a jam, do a recording) and it is then up to the rest of the posters to coax every single detail out of the OP like some S&M blood from a stone type scenario.

It's exactly the same as putting up an ad like this:

*Books for sale as I need money for a holiday.*

What can we (as mods or community members) do?

I already insist on the template. How long should we leave a warning before banning?

This is the template fwiw:
    The bands/musicians forum welcomes all information regarding upcoming events and slots needed. We are pleased that organisers and other musically minded members see Boards.ie as an important forum to communicate musical events.

However, Boards.ie has a responsibility to its members and cannot be seen to endorse any event that could potentially cause any issue. Therefore, the following criteria must be met* within the body of your post otherwise your thread will be closed and removed. Repeated offence will lead to a banning.

1. Who is running the event (organisation, society, band etc.)
    2. The purpose of the event (charity, commercial etc.)
    3. Date and Location of event
    4. How many acts will be on on a night
    5. Any prerequisites (selling 30+ tickets etc.)
    6. Is it under/over 18's
    7. Type of night (Acoustic, rock etc.)
    8. Cost of admission
    9 Will a fee be paid to the bands

This list may seem long but if you haven't got the answers then there is a question mark over the professionalism of your event.

As a bynote, I organise events throughout Dublin and sometimes not all the information can be brought to the table at an early stage, however, should this arise please pm Miju or myself.

Papa Dolla

* This is NOT optional and they are to be numbered 1-9 in your post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

What I've noticed is that an offending post gets locked.
    But what does that do? People can still read the actual post.
    As the person is not bothered giving info, and relying on people to PM them, then the punishment is meaningless as it doesn't affect the OP anyway.

I would say delete the post and give an infraction. Then the OP can repost their advert properly and if they fail to do so a second time ban them.

I think a minimum post count before advertising/promoting gigs (but not band members wanted) may also be helpful as they might read a few other posts and get a gist of what's happening on the forum first.

After the whole NBOTB shenanigans I don't think anything where you as a band have to provide money beforehand should be allowed to be posted.

EDIT: I also think it's become a bit of a sport for regular posters to tear apart dodgy sounding/unthought out promotion nights/events coming up, which can teach a lot (and where the template came from, I think?) and seems to have cut down on the number of these ads.
    If I'm going to work with a promoter in playing a gig and the info comes in dribs and drabs and I've to keep asking and asking for details then I'm not going to be over-confident about the gig being rolled out properly or without avoidable mishaps (waiting for the drummer to arrive with the drum kit and when they do 30 minutes before doors open saying "What? I was meant to bring a kit?").

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would say delete the post and give an infraction. Then the OP can repost their advert properly and if they fail to do so a second time ban them.

I think this should be considered. I have often wondered why some threads (seeking or offering lessons for example) are merely locked and not delated. If they break the rules, should deletion not follow for the offending thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What I've noticed is that an offending post gets locked.
    But what does that do? People can still read the actual post.
    As the person is not bothered giving info, and relying on people to PM them, then the punishment is meaningless as it doesn't affect the OP anyway.

I think a minimum post count before advertising/promoting gigs (but not band members wanted) may also be helpful as they might read a few other posts and get a gist of what's happening on the forum first.

After the whole NBOTB shenanigans I don't think anything where you as a band have to provide money beforehand should be allowed to be posted.

EDIT: I also think it's become a bit of a sport for regular posters to tear apart dodgy sounding/unthought out promotion nights/events coming up, which can teach a lot (and where the template came from, I think?) and seems to have cut down on the number of these ads.
    If I'm going to work with a promoter in playing a gig and the info comes in dribs and drabs and I've to keep asking and asking for details then I'm not going to be over-confident about the gig being rolled out properly or without avoidable mishaps (waiting for the drummer to arrive with the drum kit and when they do 30 minutes before doors open saying "What? I was meant to bring a kit?").

In general, I agree.

But "the whole NBOTB shenanigans"... What's this?

In general, I agree.

But "the whole NBOTB shenanigans"... What's this?

Make a cup of tea and then do a site search for "NBOTB". Plenty of reading :)

Make a cup of tea and then do a site search for "NBOTB". Plenty of reading :)

I remember it now. It was the aconym threw me!

• Advertisement

• Please don't go down the NBOTB route on this thread. Let's keep on topic. Ie; What can we do now?

Starting for raindog.promo's post
    What can we (as mods or community members) do?

The MODS are doing all they can IMO.

However, I have suggested on more than one occasion that if the Stickys could be made to "Stick" out more, it might get more people to read them. Perhaps a different colour lettering, or skipping a line between the stickies and the threads could be considered. They need to catch the eye more IMO.

Previously, I was told that to introduce the blank space between sticky and thread would involve too much work.

Granted it should be common sense for people to give as much info as possible to get the best results. Unfortunately, the above commodity is often in short supply on this forum. :D

Rigsby wrote: »
    However, I have suggested on more than one occasion that if the Stickys could be made to "Stick" out more, it might get more people to read them. Perhaps a different colour lettering, or skipping a line between the stickies and the threads could be considered. They need to catch the eye more IMO.

Placing an exclamation mark to the left of the stickey will draw the eye to it. A simple and possibly effective thing to do. If I'm not explaining myself properly, look at the forum and beside some threads is a smiley face or thumbs up, etc.

The problem would be that a lot of people (I would imagine, having no statistical data before me) would simply choose not to read the charters and stickies.

[I still think delete post and send infraction with link to template then a banning and further deletion if thread is reposted without template being adherred to would be most successful.]

Placing an exclamation mark to the left of the stickey will draw the eye to it. A simple and possibly effective thing to do. If I'm not explaining myself properly, look at the forum and beside some threads is a smiley face or thumbs up, etc.

The problem would be that a lot of people (I would imagine, having no statistical data before me) would simply choose not to read the charters and stickies.

[I still think delete post and send infraction with link to template then a banning and further deletion if thread is reposted without template being adherred to would be most successful.]

I agree about the exclamation mark. Another previous suggestion of mine was a green arrow. It is on the "Instruments" forum, but only on two stickies for some reason.

I also agree that you can only go so far with informing people. In most cases, the charter wont be read, no matter what is done.

I think people would soon get the message with your "delete and infraction" suggestion.

I don't know what an infraction actually means so it may be friendlier to first time posters to "delete and warn" then "delete and ban" the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Is it possible for mods to:

1) Hide the offending thread from view
    2) Contact thread author and give X hours to fix thread
    3) If time passes, delete and infract

I don't know what an infraction actually means so it may be friendlier to first time posters to "delete and warn" then "delete and ban" the second time.

Another simple thing would be to make the title all caps so you have:

***BANDS AND MUSICIANS RESOURCES (UPDATED 12/12/12)***

Also catches the eye.

Also perhaps:

***THE CHARTER (READ BEFORE POSTING)***

and Perhaps:

***CHARTER FOR ADVERTISING GIGS OR SEEKING SUPPORT ACTS (READ BEFORE POSTING)***

In it you can say these questions 1-9 must be answered and also say what will happen (deletion and warning followed by deletion and ban).
    That way everything's fair and everyone knows what they should do and what will happen if they don't.

Another simple thing would be to make the title all caps so you have:

***BANDS AND MUSICIANS RESOURCES (UPDATED 12/12/12)***

Also catches the eye.

Also perhaps:

***THE CHARTER (READ BEFORE POSTING)***

and Perhaps:

***CHARTER FOR ADVERTISING GIGS OR SEEKING SUPPORT ACTS (READ BEFORE POSTING)***

+1.

All the better if they could be in red lettering, if this was feasable.

Is it possible for mods to:

1) Hide the offending thread from view
    2) Contact thread author and give X hours to fix thread
    3) If time passes, delete and infract

This seems like a lot more work for the MODS, especially #2. If they were to contact every poster who did not post as per the template, they would have little time for anything else. :p

Better to have the poster contact the MOD, to find out why their thread was deleted.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Previously, I was told that to introduce the blank space between sticky and thread would involve too much work.

Howabout a locked sticky with no title?
    or if a title must be used why not just have "******************************************************"

That would seperate stickies from normal posts.

Howabout a locked sticky with no title?
    or if a title must be used why not just have "******************************************************"

That would seperate stickies from normal posts.

Good idea ! Anything that seperates the stickys from the actual threads is a plus !! Also the green arrows or exclaimation marks could be put to the left of the stickys. The more that is done to draw the eye to the stickys, the better.

Case in point, and I've seen this a few times:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78093206

Original poster has been asked by a mod to alter their OP in accordance with the 1-9 question template and this has simply been ignored.

One more suggestion comes to mind. IMO the sticky saying "Read the Charter before Posting" conjures up a boringly long read to a lot of people (that is if they see the sticky in the first place ;)). The "give information as per the template" rule is embedded somewhere within this sticky.

My suggestion is to scrap the "Template Rule" from the "Read the Charter" sticky altogether. As this rule seems to cause the most problems/hassle, why not give it it's own direct and to the point sticky. It could be inserted in block capitals, with a title something like..."Band/Musician posters : Give full, complete information or face a BAN"!!!. The "Template Rule" could then be elaborated upon in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Some great suggestions so far folks. Please keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

IMO, you could write the charter in letters 100 feet high, but most people will still not read it.

• Advertisement

IMO, you could write the charter in letters 100 feet high, but most people will still not read it.

Yeah, but no one has computer screens 100 foot high. Unless U2 tour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Maybe this is going too far... but AFAIK, to be able to post in the soccer forum you have to reach a post count and then PM saying you have read the charter, AND quote a word in the middle of the charter that changes every week.

There's reason for that over there - no matter how strongly people feel about Jusin Bieber, U2, Jedward, Oasis, Axl Rose, Crystal Swing, Lady Gaga, name your pet hate... the music forums have nothing like the scale of flaming and trolling that happens there.

Maybe some watered-down version of the above would be useful.

Agreed, but that does not mean that we should not try to make it more noticable.

The possibility of an infraction or ban, might get them to put on the reading glasses. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Maybe this is going too far... but AFAIK, to be able to post in the soccer forum you have to reach a post count and then PM saying you have read the charter, AND quote a word in the middle of the charter that changes every week.

There's reason for that over there - no matter how strongly people feel about Jusin Bieber, U2, Jedward, Oasis, Axl Rose, Crystal Swing, Lady Gaga, name your pet hate... the music forums have nothing like the scale of flaming and trolling that happens there.

Maybe some watered-down version of the above would be useful.

I was thinking along these lines too. I don't think our situation here is bad enough, though?

rcaz wrote: »
    I was thinking along these lines too. I don't think our situation here is bad enough, though?

And a lot of people sign up just to ask, post, advertise, or search on this forum. I can't see a band looking for a support act, say, hanging around long enough to build up a post count. They'd likely just not use this forum.

The postcount idea would basically restrict all posts that aren't from regular users, and I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm afraid there's no real substitute for repetition of the rules, mod vigilance, regular user vigilance, locking or snipping or deleting posts as appropriate, and asking the poster to rephrase using the template.

I'm afraid there's no real substitute for repetition of the rules, mod vigilance, regular user vigilance, locking or snipping or deleting posts as appropriate, and asking the poster to rephrase using the template.

I agree. There are lots of regulars on this forum. We can all assist the mods and play our part in getting others to devulge full and complete information as per the template. It is in our own interest to do so. We can either reply to the post asking for more info and/or refer them to the template. The other option is to report the offending post. Yes, it is unnecessary hassle, but it has to be done. Apart from this, the only other solution as discussed is to delete the offending post.

In the meantime, I think it is a good idea to highlight the "template rule" with it's own sticky, as I suggested earlier. At least this way, people cant plead that they were unaware of it.

Looks like there is not going to be much more input into this thread. Are the suggestions given so far, going to be utilised ?

• Hey Rigsby,

There's three mods now, so we'll be discussing it and let ye know. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll leave this open in case there's any more

Cheers,

Pappa

Advertisement