Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microphones

• 24-03-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Heya can anyone give me the best alternative to an sm58 for a beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Moved to Bands & Musicians Community.

Probably be better off here, either here or Music Production...

Beginner what exactly? Are you recording things or performing live? Do you want a microphone for voice or some kind of instrument?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 joxser

eh live preformance and its for vocal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

SM58 is a great mic.. why do you want an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you are a beginner and you cant do it with a 58 ( or a 57 )

then you should be re thinking what your are trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Look into JTS Mics, cheaper than Shure mics

• Advertisement

yeah im just short on funds atm, and i need this for tuesday week, like its quite a small venue aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Where is the venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

I'd buy shure pg 58s, they're pretty solid and you'd get 2 for the price of an sm58.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_pg58xlr_performance_gear.htm

basically a bar upstairs in a restaraunt in bray! Hmm they look good thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Save yourself future hassle, spend the few extra bob and just buy an SM58 now. I'v been using the same one for nearly 10 years and expect it to last another 10 as well. They really are worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

The very best live vocal mic without a doubt is the shure beta 58..... good price aswell not too expensive you could probably pick one up second hand for under 100euro

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

I use a Beyer Dynamic TGX80.

Excellent mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limhorse1

try seinheiser e822 nice pick up range on them available from thomann.de for under 50 euro

Advertisement