Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Shopping trip..Recommendations pls

Options
  • 01-05-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi everyone,
    i'm off to the states in a few weeks time and would like to get some bargains in the shops while i'm over there. can anyone recommend clothes to buy over there, i've already a lot of makeup on my list and guess handbags but can anyone recommend particular brands of clothes that are cheaper over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Where are you going exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cocopop

Forever 21 forever 21 forever 21!!!! love it...

also macys....7s jeans?? or dvb??

a&f, hollister, american eagle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All brands are cheaper over there - I am just after coming back from a business trip.
    Outlet villages are more common so if you see something in a mall you can probably get it cheaper if you drive to a village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shopaholic08

thanks for the replies girls.

phythis- its chicago i'm off to.

cocopop - excuse my ignorance but what are a&f and hollister, havent heard of them before.

while i'm there i want to pick up some maternity clothes and baby things too so all recommendations welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A&F is Abercrombie. It's mainly a young brand. Hoodies, jeans, t shirts, etc.
    Hollister is similar. Ruehl is also the same. American Eagle is similar but a different company.
    Try Express, Forever 21, all the department stores, Guess, Sephora for make up.

Sorry, I can't help re maternity clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

get some ralphie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

sorry for hijacking the thread!

anywhere recommended for new york? beyond the usual stuff like Macys and bloomingdales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

For NY I would recommend going to New Jersey! You can get a 'path' train from World Trade Center and 2/3 stops out (10-15mins, $1.75) there's a stop called Pavonia/Newport - there's a mall there.

It's the bomb. Has most of the shops you'd want to go to (they're listed in the store directory on the website)and none of the queues. I think it's cheaper as well cos of different tax rules. I found Manhatten to be a nightmare - the 'proper shops' were too busy and the 'bargain shops' were not worth the nightmare of rummaging through what felt like second hand rails. You could get lucky in them though, depending on what you're looking for.

Don't forget to go to 'Gift Wrap' at Macy's to get your 11% off visitors card when you show your passport. The Macys in Jersey City is a lot smaller than the one in Manhatten.

Depending on how long you're going to be there, buy a weekly subway card for $25 - you'll save a fortune on taxis!

Filene's Basement (Union Square) wasn't too bad crowd wise and I got some lovely 7jeans there for $40! Century 21 was so crowded I couldn't stay in it. But then again, I'm not a great lover of clothes shopping anyway -others may thrive on the 'buzz', not me!

Enjoy!

Advertisement