Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choosing a place to live - Youghal or Skibbereen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Rodrigues wrote: »
    Any opinions on Bandon anyone?

Prone to flooding but works in progress to remedy situation

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rodrigues

I saw that - though I think the works have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Taking that into account and hoping we wouldn't buy on the flood plain, any other thoughts? Friendly place, bit of community spirit, active? etc. etc. We're also looking as far as Bantry now based on a previous posters suggestion, but I'm really not sure about going that far west... Definitely better value for money though in both Bantry and Bandon and while Bandon is further from the sea, we wouldn't be lost in the middle of nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Bantry is by no means the middle of nowhere, not a bad place at all, probably make more friends and have more fun than in other areas.

I don't live in Bantry and olny go through at most once a year but I know a lot of people love it, I like a quieter life lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

We moved to near Bantry a few years ago, from Cork. It's a good town. Slightly less buzzy than Skibb., but its a nice size and is lively in summer. I dont know how much travelling you will need to do eg. to Cork or whatever. If you will be driving regularly, I'd stay away from Skibb as the N71 is a messy drive IMO. Bantry is much easier to get to/from, as there is a fast road with no bottlenecks all the way to Cork. Kenmare is also worth a look. Bandon is depressing.
    If you really want cheap, and dont mind being very far away, you could look at Castletownbere. Maybe some of the villages would suit, such as Schull, Ballydehob or Durrus. All are next to water. The two pieces of advice I would give:
    1. West Cork is waaayyyyy nicer than East Cork. Hafl the populations are hippies, alternatives, etc. whihc makes it colourful and friendly.
    2.I suggest rent in your chosen town first for a few months. This will give you a flavour of the area. Also, you'll get clued in to the local property market, and might find something in your budget that you could otherwise miss.
    One other point worth noting: far west Cork has very few sandy beaches, unlike east Cork and south Cork.
    Best of luck.

outfox wrote: »
    We moved to near Bantry a few years ago, from Cork. It's a good town. Slightly less buzzy than Skibb., but its a nice size and is lively in summer. I dont know how much travelling you will need to do eg. to Cork or whatever. If you will be driving regularly, I'd stay away from Skibb as the N71 is a messy drive IMO. Bantry is much easier to get to/from, as there is a fast road with no bottlenecks all the way to Cork. Kenmare is also worth a look. Bandon is depressing.
    If you really want cheap, and dont mind being very far away, you could look at Castletownbere. Maybe some of the villages would suit, such as Schull, Ballydehob or Durrus. All are next to water. The two pieces of advice I would give:
    1. West Cork is waaayyyyy nicer than East Cork. Hafl the populations are hippies, alternatives, etc. whihc makes it colourful and friendly.
    2.I suggest rent in your chosen town first for a few months. This will give you a flavour of the area. Also, you'll get clued in to the local property market, and might find something in your budget that you could otherwise miss.
    One other point worth noting: far west Cork has very few sandy beaches, unlike east Cork and south Cork.
    Best of luck.

Not so sure about your statement of Castletownbere being cheaper than Bantry, but the area is fantastic and lovely people, and not too many hairies thankfully, well not as many as Bantry - Skibbereen!

Schull, Ballydehob and Durrus are overrated imho and still overpriced.

• Advertisement

That's your opinion which your entitled to, but that doesn't make it fact. West Cork has some lovely coastal scenery but it can be a harsh place in the winter. I'm living in east Cork but am not from there originally. The locals were / are very friendly without being overbearing, and there's a huge variety of ethnicity. People I know living here from Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, England, Peru, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Nigeria, Chinese . . .
    I live within 10 minutes of at least 6 beaches and have a 2 woodlands within 5 minutes. Better roads and public transport. Easy access to Cork, Waterford and the Dublin road.

mordeith wrote: »
    That's your opinion which your entitled to, but that doesn't make it fact. West Cork has some lovely coastal scenery but it can be a harsh place in the winter.

Not particularly harsh seeing as West Cork has some of the highest average winter temperatures.

very rare to see snow too, frosts that are inland very rarely touch the area.

Yes it can be breezy at times but it all blows through quite quickly too.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not particularly harsh seeing as West Cork has some of the highest average winter temperatures..

Point taken :)

Ah, that's good advice re roads to Cork. As for the sandy beaches, doesn't bother me much as I grew up near the Atlantic and rocks :-) That said, it would be good for the kids to have one nearby, so how long by car is it to the nearest beach? Also, do you know anything about a housing estate called Reenrour East? There's a house there that might fit the bill. I hear you re renting, but the fact is that we're on such a tight budget that we can't really afford to... I know, I know, it would make for a very expensive mistake if we end up hating where we are, but that's why I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can. Everyone who has replied so far has been so helpful and it is really interesting and useful to hear opinions from people with first-hand experience. THANK YOU ALL!!! :-)

Oops. That last post was directed at Outfox, so I was referring to Bantry. Also, Monkeynuz, I didn't mean to imply that Bantry was the middle of nowhere - I was talking about most of the decent houses I've looked at which are around 15km from the nearest town. Too isolated, particularly when we know nobody and have two small kids. Bantry is looking good. That's if that house does what is says on the tin. Already getting sick of ads for houses that look great until you scratch the surface and realise that the sitting room is 6m2 or the roof is about to cave in or it's on a national road etc etc etc. Bleurgh.

• Advertisement

Rodrigues wrote: »
    Oops. That last post was directed at Outfox, so I was referring to Bantry. Also, Monkeynuz, I didn't mean to imply that Bantry was the middle of nowhere - I was talking about most of the decent houses I've looked at which are around 15km from the nearest town. Too isolated, particularly when we know nobody and have two small kids. Bantry is looking good. That's if that house does what is says on the tin. Already getting sick of ads for houses that look great until you scratch the surface and realise that the sitting room is 6m2 or the roof is about to cave in or it's on a national road etc etc etc. Bleurgh.

If you have children and move to West Cork even the remote bits, you will have a full phonebook by the end of the first week!

Everybody pretty much knows everybody.

You can choose to be as isolated or as integrated as you want to round here.

Being 15+ kms from the nearest TOWN round here isn't a problem for most people, some see it as a bonus, and if you saw the way the locals drive to make up for the distance!

Seriously though, the distance can get to some people, others don't find it a problem.

Also a great place for children growing up, you can pretty much let them roam wild, I often see little groups of youngish children going off on their bicycles in the summer, not much to worry about round here, you can still leave your car running while you pop into the post office too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

far west Cork has very few sandy beaches

One word: Barleycove

barley%20cove%20beach_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

OP don't think you've mentioned the kind of work you & your other half will be looking for....

Might help in deciding areas.
    For one thing will you need to commute to Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Not Forgetting Ballydonegan

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

OP, I dont know much about Reenrour estate, except that its a nice short walk into town. It isn't exactly exclusive, although some of the houses there have the best views in Bantry.
    Regarding beaches, the nearest swimming point is a small pier a 5 min drive away where the Council put out sand each summer to make a beach. Kids love it. The nearest proper beach is probably Barleycove, which is the best part of an hour's drive. It's worth it though, as it is a fantastic beach, one of the nicest in the country. Frash has provided a photo above. While you can access the water at other areas nearer Bantry, I think they are generally stones/pebbles.
    If you like the Bantry area, you should check out Glengarriff (which I have a soft spot for), Kealkil and Ballylickey/Pearson's Bridge. All of them have small residential estates where you might pick up something in your budget. Maybe you could email the local auctioneers and ask them to keep an eye out for you.
    Mordeith - sorry, I didn't mean to be down on east Cork. The beaches are certainly superb, and the weather is probably better. I've never lived there, so I guess I'm biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,just wondering,are you originally from County Cork?

West Cork is probably one of the most scenic/nice places in Ireland,never mind in County Cork.It beats East Cork hands down,and as was said it has the Gaeltacht.

Mordeith - sorry, I didn't mean to be down on east Cork. The beaches are certainly superb, and the weather is probably better. I've never lived there, so I guess I'm biased.

Sound ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,I had a fast look here for you.One here in Rosscarbery(not too far from Clonakilty).It is 3 bed and also has 2 attic rooms.There is the Gaelscoil in Clonakilty.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=742239

OP,I had a fast look here for you.One here in Rosscarbery(not too far from Clonakilty).It is 3 bed and also has 2 attic rooms.There is the Gaelscoil in Clonakilty.

That one looks good. I had been on to those estate agents and asked them to contact me if they had anything suitable. I'll get back on to them tomorrow. Ok, well now I have at least one option in Rosscarbery, one in Skibbereen and one in Bantry. Someone else was asking whether I need to commute to Cork, and the answer is no - I'll be hoping to get work in Cork, but I'll be freelancing and most of what I do I can do from home. As for what I do, I used to be a journalist, then went into PR. Then I moved to France and so when I come home I'll be looking for work in journalism, in PR and teaching French and Irish wherever I can. My hubby is ex-navy and his English isn't the best. For the moment he will be looking after the kids and learning English and when they're of school-going age he'll be looking for whatever he can get! We're prepared for the worst though. Bad and all as things are in Ireland, we both want to give it a shot as we really want to bring the kids up there. But if the worst comes to the worst, we can come back to France and hubby's job will still be there (civil servants can take a career break up to the 8th birthday of their youngest child :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What does you husband do in the navy, could be work for him in Whiddy or Cork harbour , good load of French around Bantry stealing our sea urchins

• Advertisement

What does you husband do in the navy, could be work for him in Whiddy or Cork harbour , good load of French around Bantry stealing our sea urchins

He left the navy a few years ago and now he's a civil servant - security guard really on an army base. In the navy he was in munitions. Canons and stuff :-). Don't know if there'd be much call for that ;-)

Actually, looking into that ad a bit more that house looks like it could be affected by coastal erosion...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

i live in west cork, bantry is the nearest town but saying that its a good 25 mins drive, i get decent internet from http://www.digitalforge.ie/
    they have a coverage map on their site so if you decide to move down this way you can see what areas get coverage from them.
    my personal advice would if you can have a good drive around west cork if you can, explore the area and you might find somewhere you wouldnt of thought of.
    If i had to pick Youghal or skibbereen id honestly pick skibb but i prefer living a bit more out in the sticks than living in a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Moved to Clonakilty 10 years ago with my (non Irish) wife and 3 kids (all under 10). Best thing we ever did. We knew nobody but were welcomed and quickly settled.
    Personally, I wouldn't let house prices dictate where I live as generally there is a reason why houses are cheaper in some places compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

I bought a house in Youghal a few years ago and I'm quite happy with my decision to move here. I'm also self-employed but I need to do a lot of travelling. I wanted a place by the sea within easy access to a main road and Youghal fits the bill perfectly. There are very nice beaches nearby (my favourite is Whiting Bay near Ardmore). The problem with this place is that too many houses were built in the boom years for a series of failed businesses, and there's virtually nothing going on in the town outside of the summer months so you have to go to Midleton or Dungarvan to do your shopping. But I've never felt like an outsider here, and I'm not Irish either.
    If you need any more information about Youghal let me know, I hope I can help you online or in person if you decide to come and check the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

I'm from Skibbereen and personally would not move there to raise children if you are thinking of staying there long term. It's too far away from the main urban centres where, let's face it, your kids will most likely move to go to college or find work - I know it seems like a long way off now but the day will come... Given the distance involved even to Cork, they'll be less likely to come home for Sunday dinner or even just drop by during the week - it's nearly a 3 hour round trip to Cork. Of my five siblings the closest any one of us is to Skibb is 60 miles away in Cork and he only makes it home once a fortnight - it's just too far to be doing every week. It's also a big effort for my parents to see their grandkids who are dotted all over the country - that day too will come.
    As for Youghal it's an absolute kip and along with Cobh is one of the last places in Cork I would recommend that anybody move to even though it's a lot closer to the city. There is no life in the town as an awful lot of the businesses there have closed down. I would agree with the other posters here and would choose Clonakilty or somewhere just outside this. It's just that much closer to Cork and you could easily get there in less than two hours return.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Originally from Midleton but now living in Youghal! As previous posters have said, Youghal has its good and bad points. Yes you do have your usual scumbags and boy racers but what town doesn't have them!

At first, i wasn't to happy about moving down here cause i knew nobody but the wife is an only child and has lived here all her life so not much option really, but having lived here for the past 7 years, its not that bad :D

Good points
    Plenty of beaches to go for a walk, also woodland about 15 mins away
    Midleton and Dungarvan are only about 20 mins drive - Cork and Waterford about an hour
    Excellent gym/pool
    Rugby and soccer clubs
    Gaelscoil - my son started there last year
    Broadband - i have imagine BB and im on 10 meg line so am quiet happy
    As far as I know, there are at least 2 French families living in the town, well the hubbies are from France. 1 is a coach with the local soccer team and 1 runs a bakery in the town so at least you have a chance of making some friends! lol
    Ardmore open farm or Fota wildlife park for the kids
    Midleton distillery, drive thru cinema in carrigtwohill (10 mins from Midleton)
    There are soccer camps on during the summer for the younger kids
    Mackerel/Medievil/Queen of the sea/Youghaloween festivals every year - all free
    There is a food market in the town but its only ok, Midleton farmers market is better
    Mahon point shopping centre and Dungarvan shopping centre are close
    For the most part, people are friendly
    Bus service every hour to Cork or Waterford

Bad points
    Very little employment in the area
    Nothing to do at night for teenagers - which leads to antisocial behaviour
    LOTS of hills!
    Prone to flooding in the town
    No train service - although there is one in Midleton

Both of the following are quiet areas of the town (up the same hill as me!)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=731431

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=730048

Anyway, if ya need to know more, dont hesitate to PM me with any questions!

Good luck in what ever choice you make aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I agree with Midleton, buzzing town.
    Near city. Nearer to the ferry terminal (Brittany Ferries) for France.
    Nearer to hospitals. (Hopefully you won't need them).

Or how about the village of Castlemartyr, on the Youghal side of Midleton, very near Garryvoe beach/Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

I have lived in Skibb for close to 20 years - this place is not at all welcoming to "foreigners"! I have found it very cliquie and this has been extended to my child. I find the mentality of many of the locals quite narrow, almost backwards. Many can be quite intrusive about your background. This has been my personal experience and speaking frankly to some other "blow-ins" I am not alone.

There is nothing here for older children and if you find you need to take your child to the hospital you have the most of 2 hours to drive (unless they can be treated in Bantry). As someone else said, it also far from any third level schools which should be taken into consideration.

I don't know what Clon natives are like but it is that bit closer to the city and seems a much nicer town.....and they even have a cinema!

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, I would really like to thank all of you who took the time to post replies. We didn't make it for January, but the flights are booked for March :-).

I was really blown away by the response to the question -some people even spontaneously invited us up for coffee while we're house-hunting and others even went to the trouble of going to have a quick look at a house in their area.

Amazing.

Confirms all the more why I want to go home. I know things are bad, but I have never come across that kind of simple helpfulness anywhere else.

Thank you all so much.

Advertisement