Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wierd things your cats eat.

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have always thought that cat's diets were specific to cat food (wet and dry) and that's all.
    Since I got my little ones, I've noticed they like a varied diet of strange things (for cats!).
    The pair of my cats love cheese- all different types too. Most recently, they have been eating chilli cheese!
    The eldest one LOVES eggs, particularly scrambled eggs.
    One night, I made spaghetti bolognaise, and later, noticed one of the lads had a smell of it off his breath. He had eaten the leftovers from a bowl on the counter, a half a bowl- including all the pasta.
    They also eat sweetcorn.

So, what wierd things do your little kitties eat?

And on a side note, is it bad to feed them these sorts of things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Not sure about the chilli as don't know what family it comes from but I know you aint suppose to give them onions or anything related to the onion family. Or garlic! There may have been onions/garlic in the spag bol?

My cats might sometimes eat a bit of a spud but only if it's covered in some juicy tuna or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My cats so picky with cat food, she'l like one brand one week and the next week she'l turn her nose up at it. But surprisingly she has her 'human' foods she loves, tuna, chicken and ham are hit and miss, sometimes she likes them other times she doesn't.
    Cheddar cheese in tiny little pieces she sometimes eats, she goes absolutely mad to get spray cream, if she's upstairs and hears someone opening it she'l dart downstairs.
    She loves plain spaghetti (as long as I lick off any sauces that's on it), she thinks they are worms and bats them around the house for ages sometimes getting it stuck up the walls. :rolleyes:
    Milk from the end of a cereal bowl, she can't have large quantities of it otherwise she does a projectile vomit but in little amounts she loves it.
    Haggen-Diaz cookies & cream ice cream she loves. Expensive taste. :rolleyes:
    She once drank cold tea and ate pringles. :confused:

When she was a kitten (about 5-6 months old) just after we got her she refused to eat cat food. I had to hand feed her weetabix and custard as they were the only things she'd eat, until a little bit of cat food was put on a dinner plate at the table and she was lifted up to eat it and of course thinking it was human food she scoffed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

Kai thinks he is a person, im convinced of it and will ate ANYTHING and i really mean anything he sees me eat!!!
    I was once eating a bowl of fresh chopped pineapple and got up to answer dorry, came back in and he was chowing down!!!
    He loves cheese, absolutely loves ice cream which is a huge once in a blue moon treat and he is never really fed cow dairy products :)
    Pineapple really took the biscuit so to speak !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Our cats:
    Susie eats crisps .... any type of crisps.
    I caught Rocky licking the remnants of my coffee this morning. He likes curry too
    Annabel is currently going mad for her.... wait for it..... medication! She's on tablets at the moment for cystitis and nearly takes our hands off when we feed her the tablets. Either she knows she needs to take them to make her better or our cat is a junkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Our cats:
    I caught Rocky licking the remnants of my coffee this morning. He likes curry too
    Annabel is currently going mad for her.... wait for it..... medication! She's on tablets at the moment for cystitis and nearly takes our hands off when we feed her the tablets. Either she knows she needs to take them to make her better or our cat is a junkie!

Why can't I have pets like that! :eek: They swear Im trying to murder them when I have to give them worming tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Zapperzy wrote: »
    :
    She once drank cold tea and ate pringles. :confused:

My guy is obsessed with pringles, once he hears the lid pop he is climbing in your face and meowing like he's never been fed before!!!!!

Also started drinking my tea!!! Sometimes he'll try drink the milk as i pour it into the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

hah if only we could all have cats like that!

my last cat Tiny loved chips. he would sit there and wait for you to give them to him.

all my cats like fish obv. and milk, but they don't get that too often.

one of my cats likes sausages - which annoys me!

and then my little kitten will eat any sort of crumb you leave on a plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

My lad loves yoghurts and has a made fetish for supermacs garlic and cheese fries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I wouldn't give them any of these things, but my cats have stolen pizza, pancakes, baked beans, popcorn, and just found one of them on the counter drinking my vegetable soup:mad:
    More naturally one of them is mad on eating bugs - moths, dragonflies, bumblebees, spiders, bluebottles....yumyum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sausages, Pizza, Beef Curry, Crisps, Prawn crackers...and buns, most likely a donation from a neighbor :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

All meats really!
    Doesn't like fat tough!
    Once, I got sick outside my house and my cat ate my vomit!

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Why can't I have pets like that! :eek: They swear Im trying to murder them when I have to give them worming tablets.

I spoke too soon.
    She ate her first tablet no problem today bit wouldn't eat the half one.
    I pushed it into her wet food, she spat it out and ate around it.
    Eventually I had to grind it up and put it in some cat milk and she still managed to lick around some of the larger bits. :rolleyes:

However, to keep on topic, the three of them acted like a pack of hyenas with a Dominos pizza box this evening and Rocky demolished a sizeable portion of a crust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Our Cat Isabelle LOVES Cheese and Mayo !!! In fact whatever is on our plate she will eat :D She Kinda Rocks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

I spoke too soon.
    She ate her first tablet no problem today bit wouldn't eat the half one.
    I pushed it into her wet food, she spat it out and ate around it.
    Eventually I had to grind it up and put it in some cat milk and she still managed to lick around some of the larger bits. :rolleyes:
    You could try and getting a spot on wormer from your vet. We found that was the beast thing to do!

You could try and getting a spot on wormer from your vet. We found that was the beast thing to do!

Unfortunately, this is to treat cystitis so we have to use the tablets. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I just can't leave JJ alone! We had pizza one night and the empty box was on the table, with the little tub of garlic sauce. I return to the room and he's lapping it up! I took it off him and he followed me to the kitchen as I went to throw it out. Sad cat after that!

I've also found him with his head in my mug of hot chocolate and in the ends of bowls of cereal.

There he is with cereal bowl

Photo195-1.jpg

He did NOT like ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Our 3 legged boy loves cake! Banana Bread is his favourite, but he loves Madeira Cake,Blondie etc :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We used to have a cat that would go absolutely mad for canned sweetcorn. Canned, though, he wouldn't even look at fresh of frozen.

My cats now, one of them adores cheese, which is quite normal I think, but otherwise she isn't very adventurous. Both my husband and myself are vegetarian, so there tend not to be too many foods around she could be interested in.
    She does go for ketchup and mayo on plates of leftover chips, and fried eggs, though.

The other one recently discovered honey, and adores it. Preferably licked right of my slice of toast, goes without saying.
    I saw him sniff at some sweet chili sauce on a plate of leftovers the other day, he seemed intrigued... then he cautiously licked it, and I swear you could see the shock of it go right through him, as if he had put his paw on a live wire or something.
    He stayed away from if afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

My little girl Tibby is a fuss pot - if its not royal canin, she doesn't want to know....

As for Maxi - he's a monster. Some of his weirder tastes have been cauliflower, pizza crusts, omlette, beans, porridge, any type of crisp and more recently a banana.
    And he has the worst breath in the world....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ktod

I read somewhere that cats aren't meant to have a sweet tooth. Mine do! Cakes, cakes, cakes and more cakes, buns, chocolate, bikkies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Mine aren't that unusual....they love anything meat-based that comes from the table (though not sausages funnily enough:confused:). Occasionally we'd give them tiny bits of mince/chicken/lamb/pork etc.
    They murder ham and roast chicken...love it!
    One of them likes natural yoghurt, the other has no interest. Cheese is also a major favourite with them both.
    Once in a blue moon, I put a little dab of whipped cream on their noses.....they REALLY like whipped cream!!!
    Wouldn't blame them I suppose, their usual diet is Royal Canin nuts, and water! Probably gets a bit boring after a while!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I tried growing some watermelon plants from seeds on a windowsill - one of the cats ate every trace of them all:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Our little madam loves crisps too :D We don't specifically feed them to her but you can't leave a bag unattended if she's in the vicinity!

Also, our JRT drinks tea! Again, if a cup of cool tea is left unattended he drinks it all up!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

My cat loved Monster munch:confused: If I ever had a bag of them she would jump up beside me and try and stick her nose in the bag. Used to give her a couple just to get some peace:)
    She lived to eighteen so can't have done much harm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I had a cat who loved Polo Mints, no other mint would do! :D She'd sit there and lick away at one until she licked through it and then very delicately nibble at the edges , it would last ages. The same cat loved Sour Cream and Onion Pringles, lick the coating off first and then nibble the crisp. I also caught her dipping into a glass of wine once! Best cat ever!!

My present kitty loves yoghurt, and as he is a big ball of fur he ends up with it all over his face :p He has a bit of a thing for cheese too-will try and bat at my hand until i give in and cut a slice for him. And woe betide you if you turn your back on a cup of coffee with him in the same room, it doesn't last to long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

shinikins wrote: »
    And woe betide you if you turn your back on a cup of coffee with him in the same room, it doesn't last to long.

Cat on caffeine....I can just imagine the carnage!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our two will chance their arm at anything really, if we leave a plate or dish unguarded, but their big passion is CHEESE!!! I swear they can sense a packet of mature cheddar being opened from miles away, even if they're fast asleep at the time. They'll then just sit at your feet staring up at you, meowing at the top of their voices until you give them a tiny piece each.

We used to have a cat that craved cheesy biscuits as well, although she just seemed to lick them and leave a soggy mess on the floor rather than eat them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 InquiringMind

I've seen my cat eat my dogs vomit (i did stop him once I spotted him), t'was a while before I let him nuzzle in to me again I tell ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

cheese, olive oil, yogurt, sausages, puppy and guinea pig food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 IamStupid..Not

My cat eats all sorts, really! Once she ate some pringles that my brother fed her, and I think she liked them! :eek: Didn't quite know what to think about that!
    She can be really fussy, and changes her mind about if she likes the brand of food that she's eating. One day she'll eat it and the next she'll pull a face. Well, not really because she can't pull a face but you get me, right? :P
    She also likes porridge, carrots, potatoes and she once ate those pringles.

Advertisement