Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haunted in Cork

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

LCDeelite banned for above post

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

LCDeelite wrote: »
    - ∞

Now that was a vivid example of an over-indulgently insolent, cerebrally dense, monumentally hypocritical, infantile retort.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

stevenmu wrote: »
    LCDeelite banned for above post

banned for what ? :confused: pointing out da truth?

banned for what ? :confused: pointing out da truth?

Id mind your tongue if i was you or you'll get banned aswel. :eek:
    She was commenting on something that had no relevance to her.

Id mind your tongue if i was you or you'll get banned aswel. :eek:

ya well, youre not me so... ... and don't burst an artery worrying aloud bout the welfare of my tongue
    She was commenting on something that had no relevance to her.

how do u know what gender LCD is ? :rolleyes: wait...youre psychic!!! :eek: Friends stick together and watch each others backs,so im not gonna throw my toys outta the pram if someone I'm friendly wit wants to point out the idiocy of another person. bring it on,no worries at all.

But back to RELEVANT stuff. :rolleyes: i think this thread has been off its track for long enough.. Razorblunt,is that place thats supposed to be 'haunted' past the guards station n Togher on the right as youre driving along Tramore road? I used to go down 2 Eurodiesel in one of the industrial parks for parts before,so would it be near there? Past that small roundabout on the right before you come 2 that second industrial park (where eurodiesel is)? im trying to picture it here,it's been about a year since i was down that way :confused:

<MrMojoRisin banned for one week>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

But back to RELEVANT stuff. :rolleyes: i think this thread has been off its track for long enough..

:)

ya well, youre not me so... ... and don't burst an artery worrying aloud bout the welfare of my tongue

how do u know what gender LCD is ? :rolleyes: wait...youre psychic!!! :eek: Friends stick together and watch each others backs,so im not gonna throw my toys outta the pram if someone I'm friendly wit wants to point out the idiocy of another person. bring it on,no worries at all.

But back to RELEVANT stuff. :rolleyes: i think this thread has been off its track for long enough.. Razorblunt,is that place thats supposed to be 'haunted' past the guards station n Togher on the right as youre driving along Tramore road? I used to go down 2 Eurodiesel in one of the industrial parks for parts before,so would it be near there? Past that small roundabout on the right before you come 2 that second industrial park (where eurodiesel is)? im trying to picture it here,it's been about a year since i was down that way :confused:

Yeah, i might just be psychic! :eek: I know she is Female! :eek:
    Anyway, i think you should all give up the 'nip picking' and grow up a bit, im not interested in continuing this pointless arguement, im interested in hauntings and ghosts etc, and i have as much right to be part of this thread as any of you, whether im from 'Cork' or not.... :)

Anyway, i think you should all give up the 'nip picking' and grow up a bit, im not interested in continuing this pointless arguement, im interested in hauntings and ghosts etc, and i have as much right to be part of this thread as any of you, whether im from 'Cork' or not.... :)

speak for yourself

theres supposed to be an old georgian style mansion out near Conna in the north of Cork thats 'haunted'. one of the previous owners from years back carried out all these satanic rituals that f-cked up the house royally. even so,theres supposed to be people living in the place nowadays. Good luck to them. ;) The general area of Conna is said to be spooky and weird anyway. never been 2 the place but i might make a start on it in the near future. See here for more info on that house

That Maldron Hotel on Shandon Street used to be called the Shandon Court Hotel before it was called The Quality Hotel and now the Maldron. The background story on the building overall is that it was once the North Infirmary Hospital/North Charitable Infirmary and theres a cemetery out the back but they moved some of the graves to build the hotel. If u look at an aerial view of the current site u can see theres an area of vacant green right at the back (western direction) of the hotel. That old Infirmary was shut down in 1987 and it used to be the only general hospital for the northside before. There was a soup kitchen set up in Shandon for starving people during the Famine n around 1846/7. The housing conditions in 19th century Shandon street,like all of Corks inner city areas, were abysmal and overcrowded. Sanitation was primitive and access to clean drinking water was limited. The streets and lanes were filthy, with human waste found along the gutters. In Feb 1847 the North Infirmary was converted to an auxiliary fever hospital because of the cholera epidemic and dysentery and other infectious diseases being rife in the city and county.

In the hotel building nowadays,the floor thats said to be most haunted is floor 2 and the numbers of the haunted rooms are 318 and 319. theres a blank door in between those two rooms but no number on it. When people have opened the door of it there was just very thick white wood nailed to the inside door. apparently it was that bad in that room that they had to bolt the door,and that the staff are nervous of the floor itself as well

• Advertisement

here is another place nearby on Shandon Street thats still preserved: http://co-opsocialhousingdev.org/Pages/skiddies_almshouse.html

Skiddies Almshouse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Please stick to the topic, and if anyone has a problem with any post please use the report button (report.gif) and do not argue about it on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 corkieboyo

Anybody checked out the abandoned mansion house at fivemilebridge? That place is supposed to be well haunted. I heard when somebody was robbing the floor out of the place they found a pentagon scratched under the floorboards and there was “something” buried underneath it :eek:

corkieboyo wrote: »
    Anybody checked out the abandoned mansion house at fivemilebridge? That place is supposed to be well haunted. I heard when somebody was robbing the floor out of the place they found a pentagon scratched under the floorboards and there was “something” buried underneath it :eek:

Robbing the place? I'd say the only things haunting that mansion are the dopes who are rolling on in there to fleece the place

Right so I was down in Cork over the bank holiday weekend and I caught some photos of that St. Kevins Hospital and Our Lady's Hospital (grey stonework buildings to the left of St. Kevins Hospital). I only took them on my mobile from the car park a fair distance down from it,so the photos are sh/te enough

St_ Kevin's 4- mobile.jpg

Our Lady's_St_ Kevin's 2- mobile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigwoopwoop

Andrew_M wrote: »
    Ive been on boards now for awhile but didnt see this forum at all, its great!!! Spent the last hour reading through the posts, I've always had a huge fasination with the paranormal, and recently my buddy got a 'Ghost Hunting' kit, so were going to have a go and see what happens..:eek:

Any sujestions, where to go(locally) or what to do?

ok im a newbie here and dont know if anyone even is still on here,,i am looking to set up a ghost hunting group in the cork region and hoping to get a few people together as a team,,if you are interested please let me know ,,maybe meet up a few hopurs a week and organise future ghost hunts ,, the name i have posted somewhere here for this group is C.G.I Unit (cork ghost investigation unit) ,,my email is stemmo@gmail.com if you are seriously interested in the paranormal..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

I just read the this thread today and one or two posters have said that they have never come anything ghostly up in the Old Gaol in Sundays Well . Well having lived up here for many years and long before it became a heritage centre I personally have seen many strange occurrences there on a good few occasions. Have always seen something very odd up by St. Kevins in the middle of the day when I was walking my dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Would love to hear some of your occurrances,please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

holly1 wrote: »

Me too! Spill the beans!

I'm not doubting others who never found anything spooky up there and maybe it was our imagination :D but here we go.

Years ago it used to be a unoccupied, practically derelict building so me and my cronies used hang out there from time to time. It was 1989 and we were in there on august evening, it was still bright and we were having a few drinks. Anyway after an hour or so we heard a noise, like a dog howling. I'm a big animal lover so I was worried in case a dog had got stuck in one of the cells (which were in bits and really unsafe).

I dragged my then boyfriend with me to find the dog. We searched for about half an hour and there was no sign of an animal but we still could hear the howling. I got this horrible feeling and felt quite claustophic (am not crazy about small spaces) and wanted to get the hell out of there so I went back to the others and Keith kept on looking for the dog. When I got back to the others they were all complaining about a really weird smell. They were wondering had Keith and I gone smoking hash. I said no. The smell did get a bit stronger and was really sickly sweet, the howling stopped and Keith came back. We went out into the main yard (which leads up to the main jail) and the smell was quite prominent.

We all went home and the next day I said it to my mum (who has lived in Sundays Well since the 30's). I omitted the smell of hash to the story etc but said there was a really weird smell. Mum said according to the staff at Radio Eireann (which used be based there back in the 40's) whenever an apparition of a female ghost used to appear you would always get a really sweet smell before hand I was totally freaked out.

There was no one else there (as we had a good search of the place while looking for the dog and to be fair we never did find the dog:D)

On the opening night of the heritage centre which is now based there my Dad went in to the male bathroom downstairs and felt the most horrible sensation. I know your going to be whatever but my Dad had no interest in supernatural etc but when he came back was quite unnerved and wanted to go home immediately. Up to this point he had really being enjoying himself.

One night we were coming home from Annies (a local bar) (it was about one o'clock) and we heard the most beautiful singing coming from there. There may be have been someone in there but this was when it was the heritage centre, there was no function on and the place was in pitch darkness.

As I say there are probably very sensible explanations but the place scares me. Out of curiousity have any of you ever gone to the Good Shepherds in Sundays Well. Its impossible to get in there now but I was just wondering in the past did any of the forum members do an investigation to it prior to it being secured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

That sounds very eerie,dont think I would be going there on my own,did you ever go back??

That sounds very eerie,dont think I would be going there on my own,did you ever go back??

Yeah I live around the corner from the place. I was at a "do" there about a month ago.

murraymar wrote: »
    As I say there are probably very sensible explanations but the place scares me.

Have only been to the old Gaol once and that was when I was a wee fella. To be fair I wouldnt have noticed anything weird because it was a school tour outing with everyone laughing and chatting, you know?
    murraymar wrote: »
    Out of curiousity have any of you ever gone to the Good Shepherds in Sundays Well. Its impossible to get in there now but I was just wondering in the past did any of the forum members do an investigation to it prior to it being secured.

The only person I know of who has gone into that place is another poster on here, LCDeelite.Several times during the last year AFAIK, and has a couple of stories to tell about it as well. Ive only seen photos of the place (inside and out) but I can say that I don't like the look of it at most

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

I'm heading down to Cork week after next actually - thanks, guys, I was thinking on heading for a ghost walk of my own anyway!

Anyway the apartment block that was built over the asylum is supposed to be haunted too - I know more than a few people who say you'd have to pay them to live there.

I'm heading down to Cork week after next actually - thanks, guys, I was thinking on heading for a ghost walk of my own anyway!

Anyway the apartment block that was built over the asylum is supposed to be haunted too - I know more than a few people who say you'd have to pay them to live there.

Do you mean the apartments that are built in the St. Ann's part? Heard mixed reports about people living there and what they think of the place tbh. Most good, the odd few bad. Same as any place someone would live in really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm not entirely sure why they were built but when we went up there we had a little stroll through them...creepy...http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=261994743&PhotoAlbumId=9859819382&PhotoId=9889909967

they lead straight from the hospital to the church

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=261994743&PhotoAlbumId=9859819382&PhotoId=9889910339

so we concluded that it was a passageway built to avoid bringing patients outside...
    we were then told that theres a room at the top of the building that replicates the outdoors and that that was the only glimpse of the outside that patients got during their stay...

such a creepy place though... we didnt get to spend a whole lot of time there cos there was a huge group, it was pretty impractical...mad to go back up though, really really want to explore properly...such an eerie place!
    http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=261994743&PhotoAlbumId=9859819382&PhotoId=9889909757

There's a lot of orbs in those pictures especially one huge one above a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FinBT

hey guys,

apparently cobh is inhabited by a few ghosts. i live in east cork and have friends in college from cobh who all talk about a small girl that appears in the back seat of your car if you're drivin past Fota House (which is on your way into cobh). Apparently the story is that a wealthy family lived in Fota House over hundred years ago or so and that a child of the landlord was playing on the wall bordering the property and fell off, dying tragically. And so, if your driving past the entrance of the house after 12 at night, and look in your rear view mirror the girl is supposed to appear in your back seat.
    I've heard of 2 or 3 people that its happened to. One guy thats about my age (21 or so) was drivin home out of cobh and saw the reflection of the girl in his mirror, pulled over and had to ring his dad to collect him cause he wouldnt get back into the car. Kinda freaky.:o

FinBT wrote: »
    hey guys,

apparently cobh is inhabited by a few ghosts. i live in east cork and have friends in college from cobh who all talk about a small girl that appears in the back seat of your car if you're drivin past Fota House (which is on your way into cobh). Apparently the story is that a wealthy family lived in Fota House over hundred years ago or so and that a child of the landlord was playing on the wall bordering the property and fell off, dying tragically. And so, if your driving past the entrance of the house after 12 at night, and look in your rear view mirror the girl is supposed to appear in your back seat.
    I've heard of 2 or 3 people that its happened to. One guy thats about my age (21 or so) was drivin home out of cobh and saw the reflection of the girl in his mirror, pulled over and had to ring his dad to collect him cause he wouldnt get back into the car. Kinda freaky.:o

FREAKY!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

ok im a newbie here and dont know if anyone even is still on here,,i am looking to set up a ghost hunting group in the cork region and hoping to get a few people together as a team,,if you are interested please let me know ,,maybe meet up a few hopurs a week and organise future ghost hunts ,, the name i have posted somewhere here for this group is C.G.I Unit (cork ghost investigation unit) ,,my email is stemmo@gmail.com if you are seriously interested in the paranormal..thanks

Hi

I was just wondering did you ever get a group together..>Would love to go on hunts n searches..

• Advertisement

FinBT wrote: »
    hey guys,

You're taking the piss arent ya? If it's so common (theres bound to be lots of people driving past Fota House after 12 down through the years),why hasn't it been mentioned on the news or in a newspaper? I lived in Cork for the first 22 years of my life and I never heard anything about that

Advertisement