Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets Make a new Adverts.ie

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rovoagho wrote: »
    The technical hurdles are trivial at best.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DublinerPL

Any ideas for domain name?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have hosting at www.dingostew.com that I'm barely using, but I don't think its a suitable name for an adverts type site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

DublinerPL wrote: »

SwapForAnythingInMyAdverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Adverts2.0.ie

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    You'll want a .ie to be anyway credible as a local community site, so you'll have to register a business name. Don't forget to make sure you're all legally tight as well. Boards gets threats of being legally butt ****ed on a constant basis and there's no money changing hands here.

Can you explain that please !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

SpaceForCash.ie

FreeAds.ie

irishtrade.ie

barter.ie

• Advertisement

Explain what?

How registering as a business is needed. Why does this have to be done ??

Take a look at what is required to register a .ie domain. You can't just go registering them willy nilly. Also, if you don't set this up as some kind of limited liability endeavour, any legal costs that might arise will land firmly in your lap.

Technically its not a business though ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Would it not make sense to build something before even contemplating purchasing hosting and domains?

Technically its not a business though ?

Then technically it can't have a .ie domain. :)

Would it not make sense to build something before even contemplating purchasing hosting and domains?

Well we need somewhere where people working on it can test what theyve built

Then technically it can't have a .ie domain. :)

from register365:

Registration is restricted to 4 categories of entity:

(1) Companies registered in Ireland

(2) Individuals resident in Ireland

(3) Entities possessing a 'real and substantive connection' with Ireland, for example those that trade in Ireland.

(4) Entities possessing a registered Irish or European Community trademark

I am an individual resident in ireland though ?

An individual can only register a domain of their own name.

So how does someone go about this so ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

nuxxx wrote: »
    Why are people so annoyed about the pm system, is it because you can't make sneaky offers anymore or offer more money off thread?....

The PM allowed you to filter the messers out and discuss details off thread.

So many times you have an ad for collection only, and some muppet bargains you to a price, then says can you post it. That kinda thing can be cut out in PM's. That one example, but theres a ton of other stuff. Someone that uses Adverts a lot wouldn't accept sneaky offers, and dealing off thread, as they want to preserve their good rep and have a sense of fairness about it. Thats the community spirit that was there. It used to be you couldn't profiteer, and you had to be a member.

I would expect that any alternative would have to be a less featured community site. So different to what adverts is now. Before adverts there was a members market within boards itself. I would assume any alternative would have to be something similar. Basically a vBulletin for member only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gordon wrote: »
    You could charge people a small fee when they sell something?

For all my misgivings over the implementation of these fees (make 'em free for us subscribers, winky nudge) I literally laughed out loud at that one. In work. :pac:

As a slight aside, I'm surprised Distilled are allowing this rather flagrant discussion about how to attempt to put them out of business (or at least one of their businesses) to continue on their own forum?

sdeire wrote: »
    For all my misgivings over the implementation of these fees (make 'em free for us subscribers, winky nudge) I literally laughed out loud at that one. In work. :pac:

As a slight aside, I'm surprised Distilled are allowing this rather flagrant discussion about how to attempt to put them out of business (or at least one of their businesses) to continue on their own forum?

They probably realise that it's not a real threat and that it would be counter-productive to antagonise people by shutting down discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Well we need somewhere where people working on it can test what theyve built

Install apache, php and mysql on your own Linux box or whatever else is needed. Something like wamp or xamp will work for Windows folk until you get off the ground.

Throw me into the hat for a bit of dev and testing work anyways if it gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I can help out if i've time. Could be a fun project even though it probably won't take over as the dominant classified ads site.

Exams for the next 3 weeks though.

PHP, JS, SQL etc etc web languages and all that malarky :cool:
    An individual can only register a domain of their own name.

sure someone can change their name to whatever domain name we decide upon :pac:

They probably realise that it's not a real threat and that it would be counter-productive to antagonise people by shutting down discussion.

A thread that would be a competitor to adverts new business model would be years in the making.

I expect they might ban links to ads hosted on other systems though.

i bet all the employees at adverts are all huddled around a computer pressing F5 every 30 seconds with a big smirk on their faces :P

i bet all the employees at adverts are all huddled around a computer pressing F5 every 30 seconds with a big smirk on their faces :P

Why? A small community site will have no impact on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I propose we name the site www.subverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DublinerPL

SpaceForCash.ie - available
    FreeAds.ie - taken
    irishtrade.ie - available
    barter.ie - taken
    subverts.ie - available

I propose we name the site www.subverts.ie

Lol love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

madverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

sdeire wrote: »
    What happens if we shut down the discussion? We have a similarly themed rant in Feedback about how all we do is circle the wagons and shaft the community by not allowing discussions and CENSORSHIP AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH ETC and to be perfectly honest, I'm sick and tired of dealing with that sort of noise from people who have nothing better to do but be wilfully offended at Boards.ie policy (a significant portion of which is determined by the law of Ireland). :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement