Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Firehouse pizza takeaway in Ballymun do gluten free pizza, garlic bread, potato wedges and desserts!!I ordered pizza and wedges last nite....AMAZING!!Pizza how I missed you!!I'm very happy they put a leaflet through my door!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I had a pizza delivery from Credo last night - oh wow :) It looked and tasted like real pizza! They also do gf garlic bread and nice salads.. mmm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Manifesto Italian restaurant will a gluten free version of almost everything on their menu, though you'll need to wait a bit longer for the pizza. We went there during the week with my brother and his girlfriend who is coeliac and she said her pizza was the best she's ever had, including before her diagnosis.
    http://manifestorestaurant.ie/

We find this bread mix really nice too. I know the flour has been mentioned up thread, but I didn't see anything specific to this mix.
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=tritamyl-brown-bread-mix

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CurlieSue

had anyone some advice or info for a ceoliac living in swords? Where to find a nice place for dinner, desert, even a coffee and a pastry? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm not coeliac myself but I noticed that a lot of the Gluten free range including flour in Tesco in Mahon was half price yesterday. However they do not seem to be reduced online so it may be store specific.
    Edit - According to some posts on bargain alerts, it is nationwide :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭re.mark.able

I only found out recently that I am coeliac.
    For me I don't compromise with any of the substitutes - xantham gum and other non-natural ingredients that you can't grow in your garden. Most of these are products of GMO'd corn. For me the gluten free breads and pastas were more a stepping stone to get myself off of them - i believe that if you can't digest gluten then you should just accept the fact that you cannot eat bread or pasta and find an alternative.

As regards recipes, my friend makes loaves filled with vegetables or sweets by combining brown rice flour, some baking soda and using fused bananas and oil as a substitute to eggs. I don't know the exact proportions but the outcome is a fluffy, moist consistency that more closely mimics the spongeyness of bread more than any gluten free alternative I've ever come across without resorting to engineered, non-natural ingredients. I don't think the exact proportions are all that important as the reaction isn't as chemically particular as that of wheat bread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I only found out recently that I am coeliac.
    For me I don't compromise with any of the substitutes - xantham gum and other non-natural ingredients that you can't grow in your garden. Most of these are products of GMO'd corn. For me the gluten free breads and pastas were more a stepping stone to get myself off of them - i believe that if you can't digest gluten then you should just accept the fact that you cannot eat bread or pasta and find an alternative.

As regards recipes, my friend makes loaves filled with vegetables or sweets by combining brown rice flour, some baking soda and using fused bananas and oil as a substitute to eggs. I don't know the exact proportions but the outcome is a fluffy, moist consistency that more closely mimics the spongeyness of bread more than any gluten free alternative I've ever come across without resorting to engineered, non-natural ingredients. I don't think the exact proportions are all that important as the reaction isn't as chemically particular as that of wheat bread

sweets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭re.mark.able

sweets?!

I mean sweet things like nondairy chocolate drops, bits of dried fruit, caramelised stuff and sweet essences.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Lidl launched a GF range yesterday. They're selling their own bread and rolls, along with loads of Kelkin products way cheaper than they are in Supervalu. Delighted :D Just checked on the app there, 28 different GF products :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Found a really helpful facebook page which gives Gluten, Dairy and Sugar Free recipes...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gluten-free-sugar-free-dairy-free-recipes-that-taste-good/179419395409365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

Just recently diagnosed and learning ! Someone asked for a sweet chilli sauce which is gluten free but didn't get an answer, I'm wondering does anyone know if there is one? Also while checking online the blue dragon brand of sweet chilli and mango IS gluten free but the blue dragon sweet chilli ISN'T , I'm still learning but I couldn't see a difference between ingredients apart from obvious addition of mango to the one which is GF? Also I read Schwartz stuff is now not GF anyone know why? Alternatives? I love homemade Indian food - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Hi,

I don't know about the two brands you mentioned. We always use 'Thai Gold' Sweet chilli Sauce. All their sauces and spices are great, they have all the allergens clearly listed.
    We get it in most supermarkets apart from Tesco - our local supervalu (churchtown) has a lot of GF stuff and stocks all the thai gold products.
    http://thai.ie/html/sub_pages/products/sweet_chili_sauce.html

There are definitely a few other brands but as I don't regularly use them I don't know them.

If you're just diagnosed I recommend the coeiliac society of ireland membership. It's expensive but you get a book of Irish available products that don't contain gluten and some good information. It helps you just get used to being coeliac. http://www.coeliac.ie/join_in/member_benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Regarding Schwartz I got a bit concerned as we use that all the time so I'd be interested where you got that info?
    The shake blends are not gluten free for sure (scroll to allergen info) : http://www.schwartz.co.uk/Products/Seasonings-and-Blends/Perfect-Shake/Special-Blends-for-Meat-Fish-and-Poultry/Steakhouse-Pepper.aspx

But I always thought the herbs and spice ones were ok. I'll look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Hello,

Only joined a few days ago to find out more information on Coeliac disease and gluten-free living. It's been great got so much from this sticky thread alone . Anyway in my own searching I found this site which doesn't seem to be listed here so thought I add something to the info after getting so much from the threads.

It's www.glutenfreeworldwide.com seems to be mostly focused on gluten free while travelling but also has some recipes and videos.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Be Free Wraps are outstanding. Only seen them in Tesco so far but they are really good.

Great to be able to have fajitas and burritos again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NWheat13

Any recommendations for good GF beer and where to get it in Dublin - please don't suggest estrella I hate that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

NWheat13 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for good GF beer and where to get it in Dublin - please don't suggest estrella I hate that stuff.

I like Green's Premium Pils. Nicer than Estrlla imo. Molloy's stock it as do Milano's. Not sure which pubs have it.

If you like ale, then GFA is quite nice. same company make lager, GFL, but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cindy11

Hi there,

I met a lady who was working as a volunteer for Irish Coeliac Association. Maybe you can get some ideas or any kind of support for Free
    https://www.coeliac.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you like Mexican food, Cortina's Mexican Restaurant, Dundrum, Dublin have a GF menu. I don't know if they have it advertised but the waiter brought the menu when I enquired what was GF. Lovely lunch and very reasonable. Joel's Restaurant also has a GF menu. Restaurants have become a lot more savvy in recent years regarding GF food, but some do fall down as they are not aware of the cross contamination problem.

I was recently given a present of a pkt of Pure Bred Brown bread rolls, and really I couldn't believe how soft and fluffy they were, on the downside, the white rolls were not as nice.

I find it strange that a lot of GF products are also free of dairy, egg, etc., etc., but as I only have to avoid gluten I always feel I am losing out on dairy when I eat those products so I usually bake instead of buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Do any other coeliacs have the same problem as me? I react to the majority of brands in the stores, only safe ones are Juvela and Glutafin. When I eat out I almost interrogate the staff. I saw a dietician and she said I must be highly sensitive to gluten. I'm not looking for medical advice on this, just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

madmaggie wrote: »
    Do any other coeliacs have the same problem as me? I react to the majority of brands in the stores, only safe ones are Juvela and Glutafin. When I eat out I almost interrogate the staff. I saw a dietician and she said I must be highly sensitive to gluten. I'm not looking for medical advice on this, just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing.
    I find www.coeliacpages.ie brilliant, especially for ideas on where to eat out. She is also on facebook and twitter. You could also message her. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Many thanks, ladycam, I was getting a bit paranoid about eating out. Bringing the biccies in the handbag is not really the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If you like Mexican food, Cortina's Mexican Restaurant, Dundrum, Dublin have a GF menu. I don't know if they have it advertised but the waiter brought the menu when I enquired what was GF. Lovely lunch and very reasonable. Joel's Restaurant also has a GF menu. Restaurants have become a lot more savvy in recent years regarding GF food, but some do fall down as they are not aware of the cross contamination problem.

I was recently given a present of a pkt of Pure Bred Brown bread rolls, and really I couldn't believe how soft and fluffy they were, on the downside, the white rolls were not as nice.

I find it strange that a lot of GF products are also free of dairy, egg, etc., etc., but as I only have to avoid gluten I always feel I am losing out on dairy when I eat those products so I usually bake instead of buying.

A lot of newly diagnosed coeliacs are lactose intolerant/have other food allergies as a result of their wrecked guts! I'm dairy intolerant on top of CD, it kills me a little when I see milk in something thats gluten free.... crisps especially :(:(:(

We have a tough time sorting through menus, products etc. But producers probably are driven distracted trying to keep us all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I feel like a bit of a fraud posting in here cos I'm not coeliac... but I don't eat wheat so thought I'd share some good stuff I've had lately.

Hands down the best GF pizza was in The Twelve hotel in Barna, Galway. It was delicious! Shame I don't live over there.... The Porterhouse in Dublin do pretty good GF pizza base too, I was really surprised. They also offer GF buns for their burgers (but I haven't tried them yet). And a really tasty Dime bar cheesecake dessert.
    I tried the GF pizza from Firehouse in Ballymun and could barely stomach a slice of it - it was awful. Really.... soggy? Yuck.

Relish cafe in Drogheda (there are two I think) have a good size GF lunch menu - a separate page at the back of the menu. I had french toast - it was pretty OK, more than edible.

I had a lovely lemon drizzle cake from Sticky Fingers Bakery which only do GF foods - I picked it up a food market in Dublin. It was pricey at €8, but really lovely.

For shopping, ALDI has a decent enough GF range now - breads, rolls (surprisingly soft), bap things I've used for burgers, corn flakes, GF porridge oats, a few cakes, and muffins. Everything I've tried has been pretty good.

I tried Tesco's GF Yorkshire Puddings a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't expecting much, but they were tasty! As were the calorific chocolate puddings (they're beside each other in the freezer section).

And finally... I was pleasantly surprised by Odlums quick-bake GF scones
    http://odlums.ie/products/products/quick-range/odlums-quick-bread-mixes/
    They were lovely straight out of the oven, and not bad cold either.

I bake quite a bit as well too, but still trying to work out the best flour alternatives. These brownies were good though (but next time I'd add less flour, and add some raspberries.)
    http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-brownie

Anyway, hope y'all don't mind me hijacking your thread :eek:

I will try that brownie recipe. I recently bought Dove's Farm GF flour and baked their brownies, recipe on the packet. They looked fine when baked but on tasting they were as dry as sawdust and need a ganache or maybe a cream cheese frosting, anything to moisten it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've done a search of the thread but the curry suggestions are usually jars of sauce. Does anyone make gluten free curry from scratch? I've a big batch to make and its easier to clean the kitchen down and do the full batch gluten free rather than separate meals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I've done a search of the thread but the curry suggestions are usually jars of sauce. Does anyone make gluten free curry from scratch? I've a big batch to make and its easier to clean the kitchen down and do the full batch gluten free rather than separate meals!

I make a jar of this Rogan Josh spice mix from Clothes Make the Girl http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/24/homemade-rogan-josh-seasoning/

... and use a couple of spoons of it in this recipe from Paleo Nom Nom http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3214994304/rogan-josh-lamb-stew

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Most curry recipes that solely use spices (rather than pastes) can be used. Simply ensure that you use gluten-free stock cubes and thickeners when required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Thai Gold curry pastes are gluten free and are really good for something out of a jar

Advertisement