Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's very talented. I hope he ends up getting the help he needs, because he's not mentally healthy. He'd do well to just take a break from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Evade wrote: »
    I've often wondered when Anita got so much more in the Kickstarter than she was expecting she didn't try to expand the scope of these videos and interview some people in the industry on camera?

Who thought it was a good idea to give ANYONE $160k to make some online youtube videos.... Thats like 10 years salary for struggling american. Absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cormac... wrote: »
    Who thought it was a good idea to give ANYONE $160k to make some online youtube videos.... Thats like 10 years salary for struggling american. Absolute joke

She asked for $6,000. What she was doing obviously hit a core and resonated with people so they donated to the project.

Don't see what anyone of it has to do with struggling Americans myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What the hell does pop culture criticism even mean? Just because it's a 'pop culture criticism' doesn't excuse it for the fact that it contains very little criticism and extremely poor research. There's no really excuse it your work is not good even if you want to call it 'pop culture criticism'. All she has really done (in the first 3 videos) is show that videogames have sexism which really shouldn't even be a question and certainly doesn't need 3 videos at least dedicated to it.

Also feminism is fine, being a feminist means you are going into it with an agenda already. Both are different and both aren't necessarily bad. This critique could definitely be done by a feminist but to do that you have to leave any bias at the door.

She asked for $6,000. What she was doing obviously hit a core and resonated with people so they donated to the project.

Fair enough, still even $6,000 is a lot to make some youtube videos.

My point begin that the rewards she is getting as payment far out weighs the actual work required. I realise that this can be said about many careers etc.

But if there's $160,000 going for a series of 30+ videos over X years, sign me up :)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What the hell does pop culture criticism even mean? Just because it's a 'pop culture criticism' doesn't excuse it for the fact that it contains very little criticism and extremely poor research. There's no really excuse it your work is not good even if you want to call it 'pop culture criticism'. All she has really done (in the first 3 videos) is show that videogames have sexism which really shouldn't even be a question and certainly doesn't need 3 videos at least dedicated to it.

Also feminism is fine, being a feminist means you are going into it with an agenda already. Both are different and both aren't necessarily bad. This critique could definitely be done by a feminist but to do that you have to leave any bias at the door.

I have to say you've put your point across well.

Waxing Lyrical here but:

Look at how men are portrayed in games.
    Solider/Hero: build like a f**king tank (Chris Redfield, Jim Raynor)
    Scientist: Glasses, usually old, eccentric, has a non-american accent
    Mechanic: Common as muck, dirty, has a name thats not a birth name "Wrench"

Should I feel bad cause all the games have big strong men who are good with bows and guns and fists and cars?

Man with Sword/Gun saves Princess/Girlfriend.... if you don't like it, go play Bayonetta or the Sims or Civ5 or Mirrors Edge. Nothing is normal in the world anymore.

To review some her exact words:
    "Women are the object".... how many games has she listed where the "prize" isn't love/female but merely gold/glory etc? It beggars belief.
    "Zelda has been the hero in a game in the Core series" funny how your portrayal of such examples lead you define "Core" games, where's the aside where she mentions the Cdi game?
    "I call this variant on the theme: The Helpful Damsel"... well thanks for defining it, for a second there I almost had an independent thought.
    "Regressive Crap"... didn't realise cursing was required, unnecessary and simply weakens your argument
    "And not Just a mobile or DS release, I want a full on console release"... And now we're picking and choosing what makes a game valid to a debate

The point of playing games is to achieve success, that can be swooning a girl, getting rich, surviving an apocalypse, if there's no point there's nothing driving the narrative. The same could be said for almost all forms of entertainment.

Not once ever in my life have I met a girl/woman who be they very-feminist or not, that had a problem with playing a Zelda game... of yeah, that's right the series is called ZELDA.... not LINK

I could go on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I imagine it was the crap that 4chan pulled off that got her the bulk of that money rather than the video concept itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

One of my major gripes with Saarkesian is that she gives out about how female gamers and females in games are perceived and portrayed yet constantly goes around and introduces herself as "a female gamer" as if there is a distinction between that and just a gamer. I saw a compilation of her appearances at different cons and her introduction was along the lines of being I'm not just a regular gamer I'm a female gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I think games do have a problem and I think it's worth looking into, I just don't think Anita is the right person to be doing so. I'll take a look at her videos I missed but I doubt my stance will change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Retr0gamer wrote:
    What the hell does pop culture criticism even mean? Just because it's a 'pop culture criticism' doesn't excuse it for the fact that it contains very little criticism and extremely poor research. There's no really excuse it your work is not good even if you want to call it 'pop culture criticism'.
    What part of the term do you not understand? This is not a recent innovation.

And while factual inaccuracies are of course undesirable, that was not the thrust of the criticisms above. Those were about 'balance', as if Sarkeesian had dared to point out examples of sexist tropes without throwing in a few 'good' examples to make everyone feel better about themselves. Which seems to believe that Woman vs Tropes is some sort of BBC news report or a gender-neutral survey of the entire industry.
    All she has really done (in the first 3 videos) is show that videogames have sexism which really shouldn't even be a question and certainly doesn't need 3 videos at least dedicated to it.
    And there I was thinking that the first three videos were spent analysing, in some detail, a fairly major trope and the associated problems with it.
    Really? Think about what you've just written for a minute: you have no problem with feminists producing critiques... so long as they set aside their feminism when doing so. You're effectively stating that feminism has no place in cultural criticism, that there is no value in an explicitly feminist critique.

Yet how many people berate traditional (male) games journalists who had absolutely no interest in the representation of women in games and wrote from an exclusively male perspective? That's apparently fine but when a feminist gets involved they're just biased. Which is one reason why this concept of 'ideologically bias' (invariably contrasted with Rankean 'facts') is so old hat.
    Evade wrote: »
    Hitman Absolution has its problems but one of them isn't forcing you to kill defenceless strippers and play with their bodies.
    Absolution's treatment of women is pretty shoddy. There was a good recent link on this that I'll post when I'm not at work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with Anita's videos is she is a feminist which suggests an agenda and bias and she pretty much shows this in her videos where she presents evidence to back up the conclusions she as already made. There's no grey areas, counter arguments or analysis meaning the whole thing is unscientific and entirely worthless.

This is an incredibly problematic point of view. This isn't a scientific study. 'Cultural criticism' is a thing - in fact it's a major thing that dedicated academic schools have sprung up to explore, alongside the vast amounts of more casual examples. Marxism, feminism, philosophy, politics and many other schools of thought of thought have been used to offer some of the most fascinating, intelligent and even revolutionary formal and sociological readings of art and media. People with an ill-disguised feminist 'agenda' have gone on to make some of the most radical, progressive, important and straight-up wonderful works of contemporary times - take filmmakers like Agnes Varda, Jane Campion, Chantal Akerman and others. Feminist theory and writing has changed the way we think about art, and even the very form of the art itself - it is so very far from 'worthless', and all without offering counter arguments. If you want a coldly neutral, rigorous study, a study in one of the scientific fields is where you want to be looking, not a series of accessible YouTube videos with a very clearly defined set of parameters and perspective.

That's not even going into the clear impact the feminist movement has had in real-world social and political terms - and given some of the controversies raging at the moment, it's not going to be rendered a redundant school of thought any time soon. It pushes for equality above all - and when the world is this unequal, sometimes 'scientific balance' is not something that can be reasonably factored in.

All that said, I'd actually say Anita's videos are very generous with evidence - when identifying the tropes, she tends to provide dozens and dozens of examples of games where they apply. There are times when she stretches aspects of her argument thin, but for the most part the length of the videos is used to offer examples upon examples and to give the opportunity some clear, straightforward commentary on them.

I'm always very curious to see the evidence that these tropes don't exist and why it isn't important to highlight them. No doubt there are quite a few individual games that have an excellent handle on their portrayal of female characters, but even with a slowly changing tide these are more exceptions than the rules (and the Tropes series has acknowledged them when the opportunity arises, even though that's not its primary function). I've been fascinated at how definitively Anita has highlighted some of the tropes - there's an insane amount of games, for example, that create female characters by slapping a bow or the colour pink on an existing male one. Maybe people refute that being a bad thing, but it's most definitely a thing worth drawing attention to and having a conversation about.

Games will definitely be better when developers learn to express themselves in different, varied ways; when strongly defined female characters are more of a rule than an exception; and when games capture a whole range of different ideologies and perspectives the way other media does. I'd go as far as calling that a pretty much irrefutable fact. Things are changing for the better, but slowly, so the discussion needs to keep happening.

In some ways Sarkeesian's commentary are basic and relatively crude, certainly in comparison to the deeper formal analyses employed by many of the great feminist cultural theorists. But it's also vitally important that these issues are raised in a more mainstream context as opposed to the inherently niche realm of academia. Sarkessian's greatest achievement is starting a very public conversation - one game developers of note are actually listening to. No doubt her work will be succeeded by more in-depth and radical studies - perhaps they're already happening in quieter corners. For now, though, she's kicking off an important discussion in a way few before her have managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Reekwind wrote: »
    Absolution's treatment of women is pretty shoddy. There was a good recent link on this that I'll post when I'm not at work.
    Which is why I said it does have problems. However according to one of Anita's more recent videos the objective of one of the levels of the game is to kill some strippers and play with their corpses, it isn't. And although it is possible to do that (to everyone, mostly men if I recall) in the game you are actively discouraged from doing so. So why did she focus on this imagined slight instead of one of the much more legitimate ones?

And again in case you missed it if your goal is to do something to an academic standard criticising that it's not up to that standard is a legitimate criticism.

This is an incredibly problematic point of view. This isn't a scientific study. 'Cultural criticism' is a thing - in fact it's a major thing that dedicated academic schools have sprung up to explore, alongside the vast amounts of more casual examples. Marxism, feminism, philosophy, politics and many other schools of thought of thought have been used to offer some of the most fascinating, intelligent and even revolutionary formal and sociological readings of art and media. People with an ill-disguised feminist 'agenda' have gone on to make some of the most radical, progressive, important and straight-up wonderful works of contemporary times - take filmmakers like Agnes Varda, Jane Campion, Chantal Akerman and others. Feminist theory and writing has changed the way we think about art, and even the very form of the art itself - it is so very far from 'worthless', and all without offering counter arguments. If you want a coldly neutral, rigorous study, a study in one of the scientific fields is where you want to be looking, not a series of accessible YouTube videos with a very clearly defined set of parameters and perspective.

To be fair and blunt, mentioning Saarkesian in the same breath as academic feminist writers is equivalent to mentioning I ****ing Love Science in the same breath as the work done at CERN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nesf wrote: »
    To be fair and blunt, mentioning Saarkesian in the same breath as academic feminist writers is equivalent to mentioning I ****ing Love Science in the same breath as the work done at CERN.

Which is exactly why I pointed out:
    In some ways Sarkeesian's commentary are basic and relatively crude, certainly in comparison to the deeper formal analyses employed by many of the great feminist cultural theorists

'Some ways' perhaps being a bit generous. I don't think anyone believes Anita Saarkesian's series offers brilliant feminist theorising on the level of the truly great voices in the field (I haven't read her thesis, so can't express any opinion on how she has managed in a more academic field)

But my opening paragraph was inspired by the fact that it seems as if feminism in general needs some defending here :pac:

Which is exactly why I pointed out:

'Some ways' perhaps being a bit generous. I don't think anyone believes Anita Saarkesian's series offers brilliant feminist theorising on the level of the truly great voices in the field (I haven't read her thesis, so can't express any opinion on how she has managed in a more academic field)

But my opening paragraph was inspired by the fact that it seems as if feminism in general needs some defending here :pac:

No, but in too many places including here any attack on her is seen as an attack on feminism by some.

While we're on the subject:

Writers: Anita Sarkeesian & Jonathan McIntosh

No, but in too many places including here any attack on her is seen as an attack on feminism by some.

There are definitely valid criticisms to be leveled against her videos, all without being an attack on feminism. People are always encouraged to articulate them.

However some comments like "also feminism is fine, being a feminist means you are going into it with an agenda already. Both are different and both aren't necessarily bad. This critique could definitely be done by a feminist but to do that you have to leave any bias at the door" illustrate to me a fundamental misunderstanding of how feminism has worked (and often worked wonders) since its inception, and a need for some defense.

There are definitely valid criticisms to be leveled against her videos, all without being an attack on feminism. People are always encouraged to articulate them.

However some comments like "also feminism is fine, being a feminist means you are going into it with an agenda already. Both are different and both aren't necessarily bad. This critique could definitely be done by a feminist but to do that you have to leave any bias at the door" illustrate to me a fundamental misunderstanding of how feminism has worked (and often worked wonders) since its inception, and a need for some defense.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Saying her videos are overly biased towards one particular feminist viewpoint isn't saying that there can be no bias.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

gaming and social issues go together like shit in a sundae

I'm not saying feminism is a bad thing, I'm all for it. The problem is if you are going to analysis anything scientifically then you've got to go in looking for evidence and finding a conclusion from the evidence, not looking for evidence to prove a conclusion. If you have an agenda then you'll inevitably end up doing the later which leads to falsehoods and inaccuracies. Anita is pretty much doing the later which just totally invalidates anything she is doing. it's pretty much worthless. It's the same thing as a creationist preforming a study on evolution. I'm not saying a creationist couldn't study evolution but you have to leave that at the door. Observe then draw conclusions based on those observations The thing is that the topic isn't black and white like Anita represents but a grey area that really deserves a better critical analysis.

Feminism has gotten a bad rep lately thanks to some militant feminists tarnishing it and I don't want to come off as some one turning their nose up at feminism. However I do think that Anita's videos are nearly devoid of any worth and if she wants to make a learning curriculum out of it she needs to try a lot harder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I'm not saying feminism is a bad thing, I'm all for it. The problem is if you are going to analysis anything scientifically then you've got to go in looking for evidence and finding a conclusion from the evidence, not looking for evidence to prove a conclusion. If you have an agenda then you'll inevitably end up doing the later which leads to falsehoods and inaccuracies. Anita is pretty much doing the later which just totally invalidates anything she is doing. it's pretty much worthless. It's the same thing as a creationist preforming a study on evolution. I'm not saying a creationist couldn't study evolution but you have to leave that at the door. Observe then draw conclusions based on those observations The thing is that the topic isn't black and white like Anita represents but a grey area that really deserves a better critical analysis.

You can't analyize the representation of women in games "scientifically"; you can bring some scientific tools to bear on the task occasionally - through quantitative analysis for instance - but you're dealing with a cultural form, and interprations of games and games culture will always involve subjective judgments, not irrefutable facts. Feminism is in this case a theoretical framework which shapes Sarkessian's analysis, not a "bias" that clouds her vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Radiosonde wrote: »
    You can't analyize the representation of women in games "scientifically"; you can bring some scientific tools to bear on the task occasionally - through quantitative analysis for instance - but you're dealing with a cultural form, and interprations of games and games culture will always involve subjective judgments, not irrefutable facts. Feminism is in this case a theoretical framework which shapes Sarkessian's analysis, not a "bias" that clouds her vision.

But this is the thing. Sarkeesian goes in with the intention of finding examples to suit an opinion she has long ago formed. She doesn't look for general evidence for and against. She actively ignores anything that refutes her point because she's only looking to prove the viewpoint she has. The bias may not be feminism related, maybe its just her inability to approach a study in an objective manner.

Its not subjective interpretation of the facets of gaming culture. Its subjective view on gaming as a whole before she even started her ridiculously funded "study" etc.)

(I have to add I don't think many intelligent people have any issue with the feminism slant or even the content of the series. But the way in which she goes about it and the bias in her reports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You can refer to the bucket loads of research out there. Research the research if you will and cite it. Take a simple example like the classic boob armour. If you want to argue that a female in a game with boob armour is going to make gamers think less of women then you need to back it up instead of simply saying games affect attitudes to women like it's a fact. Ask the questions. Is boob armour simply an artist's craft or is it more serious? How are females with armour portrayed by female developers? Have they a good record or a bad record? Is this because they had to toe the line to survive? Has there been any research done on how it may or may not affect male gamers' attitudes to women as result? Is it possible that boob armour is relatively harmless? This is the kind of discussion I would like to see.

If the question is simply to catalog any instances of women being portrayed as inferior to men in games then fine give any of us $160000 and we'll be able to do it. But to ask difficult questions and discuss them even if we don't have definite answers especially to ask questions that might not serve your agenda has value. Not to simply say boob armour is bad because as we all know gaming does affect our attitudes.

I have no extensive knowledge of feminism but I am one of hopefully many people that is open to being educated as to what the important issues are. Don't simply point at things and preach about them. Educate people. I honestly think Anita Sarkeesian's approach is more damaging than helpful. Perhaps as johnny_ultimate says it has gotten people discussing it but I'm not optimistic. I've seen videos where people say she is criticised because she is woman and a threat to male gamers so they react defensively. He even compared her to Rosa Parks. Don't even get me started on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Isn't a scientific critique of art a complete oxymoron? There are no algorithms or methods to prove whether something is moral or valuable to culture at large which is why subjective analysis and discourse is so important.

"The stop bringing your own agenda!" argument once more reminds me of this:

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But this is the thing. Sarkeesian goes in with the intention of finding examples to suit an opinion she has long ago formed.
    Does it not occur to you that perhaps that her opinion was formed by her experiences of playing videogames?
    She doesn't look for general evidence for and against. She actively ignores anything that refutes her point because she's only looking to prove the viewpoint she has.
    What could possibly refute her points though? If you're looking for games that she thinks are valuable and interesting she does often list such works. In fact in the newest episode she names a game that she thinks deals with themes of abuse in an engaging and thoughtful way. She's often preempting counter arguments she's going to get and responding to them too.

[/B]

She actively ignores anything that refutes her point because she's only looking to prove the viewpoint she has. The bias may not be feminism related, maybe its just her inability to approach a study in an objective manner.

The study makes no pretenses of being totally scientifically objective, though - very few pieces of cultural critique would, because that's not how it works. It's as much a personal response as it is a theoretical one. I have little doubt that Sarkeesian's terms are based on many years of observation, analysis and indeed play, during which she has reached her own conclusions and is now expanding on them. After all, we've all independently come to our own conclusions about the 'state of gaming', and I'm sure many people were concerned about these types of issues well before Sarkeesian launched her kickstarter campaign.

It's unfair to suggest she doesn't address points that refute her own. She has taken the time in almost all her videos to acknowledge and comment on the most common rebuttals and criticisms to the points she is making. She has also on several occasions taken the opportunity to point out games that do challenge or step beyond the tropes (there's a positive section on Papa & Yo in the latest video), and indeed a whole video later in the series is set to focus entirely on 'positive female characters', so it's not unreasonable to expect her to point out positives in games she has already criticised (as she has stressed repeatedly, it's wholly possible to enjoy a game while finding issue with certain aspects of it). Indeed, one of the problems here is that we're talking about an incomplete series, and truly definitive conclusions on its range and success will have to wait until its done in the - distant, it seems - future.

I'd liken it to a school or college debate. A team's first goal is to express their point of view, and then rebut. That's what as far as I'm concerned Sarkeesian is doing here - laying out her cards and point of view, while taking the time to address some of the rebuttals. You need to stand your ground. It's a defensive approach as much as offensive, but then most writers or authors have to be be willing to stand up for their convictions and express themselves in a clear and concise manner (although the latter is not something we can accuse Tropes vs Video Games of ;)). From a personal perspective, I fear one of the main reasons she doesn't present more counter examples is that they're actually quite thin on the ground - and it's very difficult to point out examples of works that are in opposition to tropes unless they explicitly make an effort to do so.

As I said earlier, to me what's so useful about the series is that it's being offered in such an easily digestible form - full of straightforward language and copious amounts of clips to accompany the points. Making the arguments in an accessible manner has already gotten the issues a lot more attention and wider discussions than any rigorous academic study on the topic ever will (and I'd also agree with Radiosonde a rigorous academic study would be quite limited in its ability to explore these types of issues anyway). I can only restress that I think there's a whole lot of room for improvement in terms of gaming criticism generally, and I look forward to more critics exploring this sort of territory in fresh and innovative ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Evade wrote:
    Which is why I said it does have problems. However according to one of Anita's more recent videos the objective of one of the levels of the game is to kill some strippers and play with their corpses, it isn't.
    Eh, no she doesn't. Not unless you've confused 'objective' with 'objectification'. Hitman was used to illustrate how developers provide players with settings (eg strip clubs) and objects (eg scantily clad strippers) to implicitly encourage violence against empty sexual objects. Now you can agree or disagree with Sarkeesian but let's not misinterpret her point.

And here's the link on Absolution's treatment of women.
    Are you suggesting that an introductory youTube series called 'Tropes vs. Women in Video Games' isn't up there with heavyweight academic works?
    BMMachine wrote:
    gaming and social issues go together like **** in a sundae
    Ugh. The whole point is the feminist critique (or any cultural critique for that matter) is that you cannot divorce a medium from its cultural and social context. And I find it hard to believe that anyone today would argue the opposite: that art (or 'a medium' if we don't want to open that discussion) is entirely isolated from the social conditions in which it was created.

Which is why these videos exist. Sarkeesian didn't invent gender-based tropes or force game developers to use them. (The 'damsel in distress', for example, has quite obviously featured in the industry for decades now.) She's just drawing attention to what developers have been doing for decades and popularising a framework for interpreting this.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    The problem is if you are going to analysis anything scientifically then you've got to go in looking for evidence and finding a conclusion from the evidence, not looking for evidence to prove a conclusion. If you have an agenda then you'll inevitably end up doing the later which leads to falsehoods and inaccuracies.
    "Scientific"? Is this global warming we're talking about? Should she have set up control groups and recorded experiments? What data do you use to measure objectification - digital cup sizes? Sometimes I feel like we've flashed back to 19th positivism and ignored the past century of social studies development.

That sort of 'fact' based approach (wie es eigentlich, as historians say) has been considered old fashioned since the 1960s. Partly because of the acknowledgement that everyone brings a bias to the table. As I asked earlier, how is Sarkeesian more biased than those male journalists who for decades failed to write about exactly the sort of issues that are now impossible to ignore? Explicitly feminist (and other -ist) critiques have provided invaluable insights across a range of fields precisely because they establish viewpoints that differ from the 'scientific' (ie white male) view that previously dominated.

So you say that you are 'all for feminism' but it seems that this enthusiasm only lasts until someone produces a specifically feminist critique of something you enjoy. In which case they're no better than creationists - ideological crusaders crafting false arguments.
    Timmyctc wrote:
    She doesn't look for general evidence for and against. She actively ignores anything that refutes her point because she's only looking to prove the viewpoint she has
    She's provided evidence that these tropes exist and are present in numerous computer games, past and present. Who's going to argue that many games (and specifically those she mentioned) don't employ 'damsel in distress' narratives or contain liberal amounts of eye candy?

People keep calling for 'balance' but the aim of this series is not to provide an overview of the games industry or even sexism within that. It's to look at these specific cultural tropes and their role in games. That's the scope that she's working to and she'd provided plenty of evidence for each of the games mentioned.

You can't analyize the representation of women in games "scientifically"; you can bring some scientific tools to bear on the task occasionally - through quantitative analysis for instance - but you're dealing with a cultural form, and interprations of games and games culture will always involve subjective judgments, not irrefutable facts.

Yes you can analyse it scientifically and it should be. Just because sciences like psychology and sociology don't have answers with cold hard numbers doesn't mean they are any less scientific. There's a way of approaching research which is in place to ensure that a study is carried out with no bias and that it is as scientifically accurate as possible. It's there for that reason and the Anita fails to follow it leading to all the problems with her videos. You may not be able to get irrefutable facts and figures but you can compare trends and your findings with the findings of others. Subjective judgements and interpretations are fine as long as they aren't presented as fact and as long as they are backed up with evidence and explanations.

That sort of 'fact' based approach (wie es eigentlich, as historians say) has been considered old fashioned since the 1960s.

Wie es eigentlich doesn't excuse bias in a study.
    So you say that you are 'all for feminism' but it seems that this enthusiasm only lasts until someone produces a specifically feminist critique of something you enjoy. In which case they're no better than creationists - ideological crusaders crafting false arguments.

What Anita is doing is far from scientific which is my problem, not that it's about videogames. I'd actually welcome a far better criticism which is entirely my point.

Can we clarify what type of evidence we're talking about here? The latest video offers lengthy clips from 30 different games to back up the points she makes, which to me is more than sufficient to support her commentary and general concepts.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    What Anita is doing is far from scientific which is my problem

Cultural criticism in general is far from scientific, and I doubt its foremost practitioners would argue otherwise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Eh, no she doesn't. Not unless you've confused 'objective' with 'objectification'. Hitman was used to illustrate how developers provide players with settings (eg strip clubs) and objects (eg scantily clad strippers) to implicitly encourage violence against empty sexual objects. Now you can agree or disagree with Sarkeesian but let's not misinterpret her point.
    The game actively discourages violence against those women in the form of a penalty to your over all score for the level. There is no incentive in the game to kill those women, Anita made it up.

And here's the link on Absolution's treatment of women.
    Yeah, plenty of legitimate criticisms so why make one up?
    Are you suggesting that an introductory youTube series called 'Tropes vs. Women in Video Games' isn't up there with heavyweight academic works?
    Like most Youtube series it isn't up there. Then again most Youtube series are not trying to get those series on to school and college curricula.

Advertisement