Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avenged Sevenfold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Very good gig last night. FFDP were excellent. Can't wait to see them on their own headline tour. Avenged were great but I can't help but feel a little cheated by not seeing the full stage show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thought it was a decent crowd to be honest. I've been to three gigs at the O2 and all have only had the standing that far back. The lower seats were folded away behind the standing area so I presume that is the most standing that is allowed. The higher seating was reduced though with just one tier where as at other gigs it has gone up to the roof. There was a pic put up by avenged sevenfold on Facebook and the crowd looks healthy enough.

The Tuesday night would limit a lot of people travelling from around the country and as mentioned it was a school night for younger fans.

They did a nice mix of old and new which I was happy with.

The pyro may have been a lie but I don't see why they wouldn't do it unless there was technical difficulties. If that was the case then they could have just said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Thought it was a pretty good gig overall, they certainly seem to appreciate the fans judging from the amount of time it took for them to leave the stage at the end, which was good to see. I'm a bit puzzled about the lack of pyro myself, maybe it's Rammstein's fault! :)

I realised afterwards that that was my first gig in the Point this year, which was a bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Really enjoyed it :) It wasn't as good as the Olympia show in 2010 (?) but that was always going to be very difficult to top!

I thought the crowd was pretty decent, but that they were better for FFDP. Saying that, I wouldn't blame them because they were absolutely fantastic and I am definitely going to download some of their stuff.

Hope a7x do return in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Who opened for A7X?

I wasn't at the concert myself, two friends of mine went though. Haven't talked to them yet about it though.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Who opened for A7X?

I wasn't at the concert myself, two friends of mine went though. Haven't talked to them yet about it though.

Avatar (god awful, but hilarious) and Five Finger Death Punch (brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Avatar (god awful, but hilarious) and Five Finger Death Punch (brilliant)

FFDP were great - wouldn't really have been a fan prior to show but feck me sideways did they put on good show - going to check out their back catalogue now

Sevenfold's lack of pyro was massive shame - was my 6th time seeing them and have to get to witness their full stage show.. guess will have to go Download to see full pyro :P
    Loved the setlist, shat myself when they played Chapter Four

My frist time seeing Arin play - very impressed :)

wprathead wrote: »

To each their own, but I spent the whole time they were on laughing :pac: Their drummer was excellent, to give them some credit!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wonder did they leave out the pyro to save money since the gig did not sell too well?

Wonder did they leave out the pyro to save money since the gig did not sell too well?

Possibly but as I mentioned the crowd wasn't that bad. Not close to the sellouts in the uk but they have been selling out over there for years.

1459348_10151774875890583_1706680523_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thats exactly what it was. Odd seeing curtain at back of standing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Pyro or no Pyro enjoyed the gig. Chapter 4 being the highlight. 5FDP were good but nowhere close to their performance at Download thought the sound wasnt the best either where I was for 5fdp but luckily improved for A7X. Think when ya play 14 tracks you should leave out those doodle-jam things and play another track but if thats my only gripe I was doin well.

Cost of course could have been why pyro was left out not sure there Rammstein of course torched the place,I know they realized before the encore that time was short but played the 2 songs anyway with Shadows stating they'd pay the fine if required and hopefully it's not too big.

I thought crowd size wasnt bad for them to be fair they were never gonna come close to packin the venue. Kiss in 2010 had less although I don't think they had those curtain things there at the time making the crowd look healthier last night. Just the mid-sized venue issue rearing its ugly head again. Didn't think there was much of a mixture of old and new meself mainly a younger crowd I thought.

Even though Ive seen A7X multiple times I had my doubts about them being capable of headling Download, fresh outta that though and I'd imagine they'll go down a treat, announced as a headliner for Hellfest in France next summer too.

Looks like the same sized crowd for Stereophonics and 30stm gigs recently . Oh 8000 post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

five finger death punch put on one of the best shows ive ever seen and hope they are back with their own show soon. Ivan Moody is probably the best frontman ive ever seen live also.(and ive seen an awful lot of bands).interacted eith the crowd for the whole show...him and the band constantly throwing stuff into the crowd...handed drinks to fans...fukin awesome show! as regards avenged sevenfold..im not really a fan and just stayed half an hour to watch show and left then cause they were just boring tbh...no real interaction...nothin...their fans will have loved it im sure as they get to hear the songs live but in fairness the fans paid enough for the show to be guaranteed a good nite. as regards avator...they replaced my second reason to go...device...with that in mind...the only way they could have impressed me was if they turned into disturbed!

Thought the crowd was well mixed myself. I was at the back of the standing and looking around there was groups of people at every age level. Groups of lads in their 30's, men and women in their 40's and 50's, groups of teens and plenty of people in their 20's. I was expecting the crowd to be much younger if I'm honest.

Thought Shadows interacted well with the crowd myself.

The guitar solo/ jam session was a waste of time and would have much preferred beast and the harlot or a song like that thrown in their instead.

They mentioned also they expect to be back next summer.

In fairness to Avenged Sevenfold, unlike a lot of similar bands they make it their business to play Ireland nearly every time they go on a European tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jofspring wrote: »
    They mentioned also they expect to be back next summer.

In fairness to Avenged Sevenfold, unlike a lot of similar bands they make it their business to play Ireland nearly every time they go on a European tour.

I assume that would mean supporting someone then? Maybe Maiden? Or would Sabbath do an outdoor show?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

LillySV wrote: »
    as regards avenged sevenfold..im not really a fan and just stayed half an hour to watch show and left then cause they were just boring tbh...no real interaction...nothin...their fans will have loved it im sure as they get to hear the songs live but in fairness the fans paid enough for the show to be guaranteed a good nite.

I'd agree with this, I was there as an impartial observer on a cheap ticket - so totally unbiased, stayed for the full show and while they played, technically, very well they are seriously lacking in stage presence which for a band of their stature & experience I found very strange.

The two guitarists in particular looked like they couldn't give a f*ck and didn't look like they were enjoying themselves at all. They could have taken a few cue's from Avatar & FFDP on that front. Very boring to watch and I'd say they'd actually really need a bit of pyro to mask how boring they are on stage.

Mushy wrote: »
    I assume that would mean supporting someone then? Maybe Maiden? Or would Sabbath do an outdoor show?

Yea they would def be supporting someone . Unless they do another Metallica show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Few photos from the other night:

1488156_10151756669861640_601670764_n.jpg

936779_10151756670856640_661233228_n.jpg

1458576_10151756676686640_1270465571_n.jpg

1479162_10151756673581640_1625860913_n.jpg

1424552_10151756666856640_101037240_n.jpg

1003939_10151756666076640_2127024470_n.jpg

1463223_10151756665581640_182935325_n.jpg

1479481_10151756649251640_633417564_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

Yea they would def be supporting someone . Unless they do another Metallica show?

Cut costs on the back-drop and play the Academy with Overkill :D

Would be great to see Maiden or Metallica hit Ireland this year with this lot as support.

• Advertisement

Zwillinge wrote: »
    The blocked off seats/standing area and the O2 being so empty kinda saddened me, will it put metal bands off coming here? Is the metal scene getting smaller? Or just the fact, it's a Tuesday and A7X target audience had to go to school the next day... ponder ponder!

You're right tis a strange one their album was number 1 here not that it means much but it would seem to indicate that they would be the most mainstream modern metal band around (good support too) so you certainly would think about the scene as a whole epecially in a large venue.

Times have changed for instance at one stage in the early 00's Tool headlined in Punchestown after Ozzy pulled out,Limp Bizkit also were due to play Punchestown also but gig was cancelled after an injury to redcap now they can just about pack the Olympia. If we get any outdoor rock gigs this year only bands capable of shifting 25k+ tickets are the oldie faves such as Maiden,Metallica,Pearl Jam,AC/DC maybe Aerosmith. If A7X do come back next year like they sugggested it will be to support one of these? Obvs disregard Metallica they're defo not gigging here this year.

They were making a big jump up and tickets for the gig went on sale way back in May so plenty of time to prepare for a gig in December, Tuesday night it falls on dont see that as an issue if there was demand for it people would make it their business to grab a ticket we cant be lucky enough to have gigs the weekend the whole time.

Jofspring wrote: »
    You make it sound like the bands themselves are the ones who decide to play/opt not play where they like they don't, fans have been lucky all the same as regards them coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Interview with Arin after the show on Tuesday,

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/video-interview-with-avenged-sevenfold-1.1619497

Can someone tell me what Arin says, my computer doesn't have volume

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

basically what it says below it:
    Shortly after the concert, Ronan McGreevy caught up backstage with Avenged Sevenfold drummer Arin Ilejay where he talked about the success of Hail to the King, carrying the torch for a new generation of headbangers and how he came to join the band that have become the standard-bearers for modern metal.

nothing we havn't heard million times before

Avenged Sevenfold are on the cover of the new Metal Hammer UK magazine

tumblr_n61eb4dznc1tzjwjho1_500.jpg

A7X Set list, Download Festival 2014 & Metal Hammer review

Shepherd of Fire
    Critical Acclaim
    Bat Country
    Hail to the King
    Buried Alive
    So Far Away - Dedicated to Jimmy ''The Rev'' Sulivan
    Burn It Down
    Nightmare
    Second Heartbeat
    Beast and the Harlot
    Afterlife
    This Means War

Encore:
    Seize the Day
    Almost Easy

Encore 2:
    A Little Piece of Heaven
    Unholy Confessions

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/reviews/2014-06-13/download-2014-avenged-sevenfold

Bumping this, M. Shadows has revealed some information on an upcoming dvd
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-singer-reveals-plans-for-dvd/

Shadows told The Pulse Of Radio
    The documentary uses the 2009 death of drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan as a starting point. The DVD will take place right before we lose Jimmy, and then it's gonna basically take you all the way through to now, So it'll be mixed in with some live performances, but there will also be a very strong story arc to what our story is and what's going on with us.

The DVD will contain performances from the band's sets at key events like the Download festival, Rock In Rio, Rock On The Range and others.

Also A7X are taking to rest of 2014 off. M. Shadows says that the band "should" begin working on material for a new studio by next summer for a tentative 2016 release.
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-to-begin-writing-new-album-by-next-summer/

The band have revamped their website

And a teaser for their live album/dvd

Well this came outta nowhere, the band have announced they've parted ways with Arin Ilejay.

http://www.avengedsevenfold.com/news/moving-forward-without-arin-ilejay

• Advertisement

Brooks Wackerman best known for his work with Bad Religion is the new drummer.

Advertisement