Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No gameplay has been shown yet though. Dead Island looked like a very different game when its first trailer was shown

But at least we are going to be playing the characters from the trailer, if the artwork is also to be believed, and not a bunch of charmless cardboard cutouts like in Dead Island. The Dead Island trailer was a complete fabrication that suggested a complete different tone of game. I don't think The Last Of Us will be as opportunistic.

But yeah we'll just have to reserve judgement for the time been.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll reserve judgement till we get some gameplay. Can't really tell anything about it from that trailer. Loved the Dead Island trailer, but was really disappointed with the game itself. I'd say Naughty Dog will do it well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Don't know if there's a thread on this already,didn't see one. Apologies if there is. Anyway, looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-the-last-of-us-scored-by-oscar-winner-gustavo-santaolalla

Gustavo Santaolalla composing the music.

Got Oscars for the scores of Broke Back Mountain and Babel.

Sony are pulling out the big guns! Very excited that he said "I must be a part of this"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Merging threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-the-last-of-us-scored-by-oscar-winner-gustavo-santaolalla

Gustavo Santaolalla composing the music.

Got Oscars for the scores of Broke Back Mountain and Babel.

Sony are pulling out the big guns! Very excited that he said "I must be a part of this"!

The other part of the quote was "Because of all the money they'll give me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I liked Edmonson's work on the Uncharted series.

Still, Gustavo has also been involved in some sterling movies.

Amores perros (2000)
    The Insider (1999) - features his song, "Iguazu".
    21 Grams (2003)
    The Motorcycle Diaries (2004)
    Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    Babel (2006)
    Into the Wild (2007)
    Biutiful (2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The trailer is well put together and shows promise but part of me still thinks, 'meh, just another zombie game'.

I think there's the same amount of fatigue and cynicism over zombie games now, as there was about WW2 games a few years back. Didn't help that Epic announced one too on the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I wasn't interested in this game at all when it was thought it was going to be an FPS. But now that it is confirmed to be in the third-person perspective I'm much more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Hogzy wrote: »
    Dead Island isnt even out a year and that was a huge disappointment. It will have to take a really good game for them to bring people back.

I thought Dead Island was huge fun & a lot of people here did too.
    I'm still playing through it.
    Very little time to play games these days, so it's perfect for a quick 30 min fix when I get a chance.

If this is of a similar vein, Day 1 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya I loved Dead Island, one of my faves this year. I wonder will the 3rd person be like Silent Hill, Resi 5 or Uncharted. I thought FPS would work better like Dead Island but will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its Naughty Dog, so those guy have earned a lot of trust from me. So I am looking forward to this. Will probably be one of the last big PS3 games as well imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

With two lead characters, would it be too early to assume that this will have full co-op through the main campaign?

I always felt like Naughty Dog wanted to bring a 2 player co-op into the Uncharted series with the many chapters where you have a partner (or 2 partners) helping you and having to boost them up to get ladders, etc.

Trailer looks great and can't wait to find out more information and a gameplay trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My uneducated guess: it will be Lost Vikings with two characters. Little girl can get into small crawl spaces, older guy will to able to move heavy things. They'll manipulate you into liking the characters and then kill one of them off and call it masterful storytelling :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hope they release a gameplay video soon......looks very interesting

This whole "it's another zombie game" is starting to irk me.

Why can't people just call them Monsters? Nothing has been mentioned by Naughty Dog that would suggest they were zombies.

My feeling is that when most people see monsters in a realistic game, they automatically think "zombie".

This whole "it's another zombie game" is starting to irk me.

Why can't people just call them Monsters? Nothing has been mentioned by Naughty Dog that would suggest they were zombies.

My feeling is that when most people see monsters in a realistic game, they automatically think "zombie".

A zombie by any other name is still a zombie. They were 'infected' in Left 4 Dead. Most also traditionally zombie films also don't call them zombies. Doesn't matter what you call them they're still zombies and from the trailer and description it sounds like they are even if you want to call them 'fungally infected los ganados hybrids'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have complete faith in Naughty dog. I think we're in for something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Seen alot of people saying this is going to be another dead island game , i highly doubt it .. Knowing naughty dog its going to be very cinematic and story driven . I expect it to be along the movie i am legend than anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A zombie by any other name is still a zombie. They were 'infected' in Left 4 Dead. Most also traditionally zombie films also don't call them zombies. Doesn't matter what you call them they're still zombies and from the trailer and description it sounds like they are even if you want to call them 'fungally infected los ganados hybrids'.

What if the creatures in The Last Of Us display intelligence, and can communicate? What if they jump, run or take cover? Are they still zombies?

My point is we know next to nothing about this game yet. Why not wait until these creatures display ANY properties we associate with zombies before calling them that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

really like the look of this game, wish it would come out on xbox, now i have to get a ps3

The way i see it, nearly every game has monsters/npcs or whatever you want to call them. In nearly every game they act the same way.

Take Battlefield/COD/Killzone/Uncharted/Medal of Honour/ and the hundred or other so games like them. They all feature men who jump out at you from behind cover and try to kill you, there's very little difference between they way they act, cover, shoot, cover,run,cover, shoot. Yet i never here about people saying "Bloody humans, so bloody overdone".

Then take games like Skyrim, they have an uncountable amount of different enemies, yet they all attack in the same way, maybe with a bit of magic thrown into the mix. (Alright the dragons are the one obvious exception).

Going to start rambling soon, if i haven't already so i'll just say that down at their core nearly every npc in the world of videogames are basically the same bar the boss fights. I may be playing a shooting game, but i know that i can just wait til they pop out of cover, or run towards me when i move outside of a certain range.

It seems from interviews that themain focus will be the relationship between the two characters. Naughty Dog have shown they've got some great writers but it hasn't been paired with great stories, the uncharted games while good, there's really not much special you can do with an action game. Hopefully they can marry that writing with a really good story. I just hope they can take it to dark places and not just go for the obvious death scene to pull and the emotional heartstrings. Horror games have some of the best storytelling in videogames so I'm optimistic. The zombie setting though isn't filling me with much hope for originality. I can see it being a very linear game. If it's not and they manage to get the emotional depth they want from their characters in an more open world game then it will be a truly a landmark game, but I don't think the industry is anywhere close to that yet.

Articles up on Eurogamer.

Preview
    Contrary to evidence in the trailer, however, The Last of Us is "not a zombie game," insists Straley. Druckmann explains: "If the game was about the monsters, we would have not showed them. The story's not about them, so [we thought] let's get it out of the way."

And then the creative director talks about story telling, or lack of, in the industry. Bit too much if ya ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It might be a story based around their attempts to find a solution to whatever it was they were running from. Hope they don't, it'll be interesting to see where it could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You have to say they are showing some bit of ambition with what they are saying.

I'm confident Naughty dog will deliver and I haven't played that many Zombie games so I don't have the same complaints as many who say there sick of them.

USA Today
    Expected for PS3 in late 2012 or early 2013, The Last of Us is a rare new intellectual property in an era when publishers rely heavily on trusted franchises. "The team at Naughty Dog is known for incredible storytelling, and what excites me most about The Last of Us is the potential of a grittier and more mature story," says Geoff Keighley of Spike's GameTrailers TV. "If Uncharted is the video-game version of Indiana Jones, The Last of Us has the potential to be a video-game version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road."

Although the designers don't want to give away the entire story line, the development team recently gave an exclusive inside look into the project. At the start of the game, the lead character, Joel, finds Ellie, and they team up. Joel is "a vicious survivor. When he meets this girl, she is his one chance at redemption," says Neil Druckmann, the game's creative director. "That kind of arc has always been intriguing."

Like the Uncharted games, The Last of Us has a third-person perspective, in which you see the character on-screen, but it has a more realistic, cinematic look. "We're trying to move the medium of video games into an area elevated in the same manner of respect of film," Balestra says. "We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

Theme from the trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Retr0gamer, you're a sour bugger

And you're a fanboy. Try contributing to the discussion next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

And you're a fanboy. Try contributing to the discussion next time.

ooooohhh

sting

Advertisement