Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭thebronze14

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd imagine this will be the final track released from S&M2 before it's official release next Friday.

Probably should be in the unpopular opinion thread but the Metallica SnM gigs do nothing for me. Would be class if you are at them I'd say but I don't think it all comes together that great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

$115 per car to watch a pre recorded show :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »
    $115 per car to watch a pre recorded show :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Crazy money. Imagine paying that and they roll out the usual set list, ending with NEM and ES and then a cover/S&D as the encore.

I know they recorded it last week so hopefully they went off script for once, seeing as it's a one off and not the usual gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Any chance of us seeing a unplugged set/album from the lads?
    The two recent offerings of awmh and blackened looks like it should be explored..

Any chance of us seeing a unplugged set/album from the lads?
    The two recent offerings of awmh and blackened looks like it should be explored..

They released the last AWMH Foundation concert as an album and that's an acoustic concert ('Helping Hands...Live and Acoustic at the Masonic') and there was another foundation concert schedule for this year but it was postponed due to Covid but I'd imagine that will be released whenever that concert takes place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its a good day

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its a good day

Are there any extras on the video (behind the scenes stuff, rehearsals etc.) or is it just the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Last of the Metallica Mondays today 23 full length concerts posted online, fair play to them for keeping it going so long I've really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Its a good day

Is the ability to separate out the band / orchestra audio feeds available as it was on the original DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are there any extras on the video (behind the scenes stuff, rehearsals etc.) or is it just the concert?
    Only a small collection of interviews about how it came together etc. Fairly decent
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Is the ability to separate out the band / orchestra audio feeds available as it was on the original DVD?

no sadly not only 2 audio options
    Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

James during Unforgiven III is still awkward looking as ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

James during Unforgiven III is still awkward looking as ever

He was so lost without a guitar. Wonder if that was part of the trigger to return to rehab. Shame that they didn't split the audio tracks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Probably should be in the unpopular opinion thread but the Metallica SnM gigs do nothing for me. Would be class if you are at them I'd say but I don't think it all comes together that great

The list of metal bands who write songs that could work with an orchestera is slim

the list of metal bands who arent complete virtuoso **** who write songs that could work with an orchestera is even slimmer

Metallica aint on either list :D

That said, the Call of Chtulhu worked, some of the other instrumentals would too

Bambi wrote: »
    The list of metal bands who write songs that could work with an orchestera is slim

the list of metal bands who arent complete virtuoso **** who write songs that could work with an orchestera is even slimmer

Metallica aint on either list :D

That said, the Call of Chtulhu worked, some of the other instrumentals would too

Outlaw Torn sounds pretty epic all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

feylya wrote: »
    He was so lost without a guitar. Wonder if that was part of the trigger to return to rehab. Shame that they didn't split the audio tracks again.

Sorry, could you please explain that one???!!!

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Sorry, could you please explain that one???!!!

He looked uncomfortable without a guitar, cos he normally has one.
    I wonder did that uncomfort make him realise that he had become dependent on whatever it was he went to rehab to help fix.
    It's a shame they didn't split the band and orchestra tracks on the dvd, so they could be listened to individually.

Does that clarify it?

I wonder did that uncomfort make him realise that he had become dependent on whatever it was he went to rehab to help fix.
    It's a shame they didn't split the band and orchestra tracks on the dvd, so they could be listened to individually.

Does that clarify it?

He's played a good few times without a guitar before. When he broke his arm skateboarding back on the MoP tour and when he got burnt in Montreal that time, he played full gigs without a guitar so it wasn't like this was the first time he was on stage without one.

He's played a good few times without a guitar before. When he broke his arm skateboarding back on the MoP tour and when he got burnt in Montreal that time, he played full gigs without a guitar so it wasn't like this was the first time he was on stage without one.

Sure, 30+ years ago, before he started going to rehab. My point was because he didn't have it to hide behind now, did he feel a bit exposed? I've no idea, it's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sure, 30+ years ago, before he started going to rehab. My point was because he didn't have it to hide behind now, did he feel a bit exposed? I've no idea, it's just a thought.

ah to be honest, id say it was a few things that brought him back to rehab, i suspect he hasnt just been struggling with alcoholism, i suspect theres other addictions going on there, its a dreadful thing, but at least he knows how to get help now, the music industry is just a sh1t industry to exist in, if you have such issues

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah to be honest, id say it was a few things that brought him back to rehab, i suspect he hasnt just been struggling with alcoholism, i suspect theres other addictions going on there, its a dreadful thing, but at least he knows how to get help now, the music industry is just a sh1t industry to exist in, if you have such issues

Yeah, probably. All I know is that he looked ****ing petrified when he was on stage singing The Unforgiven 3, and given how long he's been doing this for, it strikes me as odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yeah, probably. All I know is that he looked ****ing petrified when he was on stage singing The Unforgiven 3, and given how long he's been doing this for, it strikes me as odd.

was that his first gig after rehab? i recall, he had a similar experience the last time he came out of rehab, it was amazing to see how vulnerable he looked on stage that time as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    was that his first gig after rehab? i recall, he had a similar experience the last time he came out of rehab, it was amazing to see how vulnerable he looked on stage that time as well

Think it was just before he went in wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Didn't James go back to rehab after the S&M2 shows, like late September, day of Cliff's anniversary, IF memory serves correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Does that clarify it?

No, not even a little bit. I think it’s one of the most aloof and illogical things I’ve ever read or heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Didn't James go back to rehab after the S&M2 shows, like late September, day of Cliff's anniversary, IF memory serves correctly.

I thought it was before the s&m shows?

I put on my Columbo jacket and did a bit of Googling. The S&M2 shows were on 6/8 September last year and the statement of James going into rehab was on 28 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

klose wrote: »
    I thought it was before the s&m shows?

Nope, September 28th last year. They cancelled their remaining tour dates because of James going back to rehab.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/metallica-cancel-tour-james-hetfield-rehab-892158/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Outlaw Torn sounds pretty epic all the same :D

It does, but its not really the average Metaliica track. Really like that, Fixxer and Bleeding me from those sessions

Rolling Stone have an interview with Kirk and Lars about the setlist for the shows. If you read the bit about The Unforgiven III, they say that James was just focused and 'wrapped himself in the song' so I'd say it was more that than it was him being lost without his guitar.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/metallica-kirk-hammett-lars-ulrich-sm2-set-list-1047716/

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    No, not even a little bit. I think it’s one of the most aloof and illogical things I’ve ever read or heard.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

James has performed without a guitar before, so its not unfamiliar ground to him. Remember the time he stepped over a pyro charge and suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his arm? He couldn't play for some time, I believe a guitar tech stepped in (John Marshall).

Another time, he broke his wrist skateboarding, and couldn't play then either, just sang.

Advertisement