Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gear knob

Options
  • 15-06-2013 3:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

Alright boys. I want to get a new gear knob as my current one is cracked and the top is gone off it. There are 3 in my local "Motor Factors" all between 25 and 30 quid. I got a cover for 8 Euro for the existing gear knob on the car but it just didn't feel right. I'm gonna get a new one.

Question is, will the old one just screw off and will the new one just screw on and do they fit any car? Also, has anyone put a new gear knob on their gear stick and does it "feel" alright?

(Sexual innuendo jokes RE the last sentence not welcome! :D)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

What type of car? Is it the original factory gear knob you have? Some details & maybe a photo if you can would be helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Why not replace it with an original from the parts department of the car manufacturer....it mightnt be too much more expensive, and it least it wont look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You could use a sliotar. Just drill a hole in it and hammer it on. I think lidl are selling them cheap this week. Or you could just make a new gear knob appear, you are Jesus after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mk2 Laguna I believe.

You can get replacement leather covers for the gearknob online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Sickos looking for a picture of Jesus's cracked and broken (Gear)knob.

Not on lads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Curran wrote: »
    Why not replace it with an original from the parts department of the car manufacturer....it mightnt be too much more expensive, and it least it wont look out of place.

Tis only a 10 year old aul run around mate. Not worth the expense. But the ones in Motor Factors look the business.
    You could use a sliotar. Just drill a hole in it and hammer it on. I think lidl are selling them cheap this week. Or you could just make a new gear knob appear, you are Jesus after all.

All me powers are taken up turning water into wine Jimmy. I have a quare aul thirst on me. :)
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mk2 Laguna I believe. You can get replacement leather covers for the gearknob online.

Good memory you have there Colm McRae. Tried the cover thing man, it just doesn't work. The knob itself is busted to sh*t.
    Sickos looking for a picture of Jesus's cracked and broken (Gear)knob. Not on lads

It ain't easy being the son of God, gurrier. Lots of smart arses just waitin' to have a go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a tutorial video online on how to fit those covers. You can also use silicone sealer or caulk to build up the gearknob itself if the foam is all torn to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ebay has loads of gear knobs.

Firstly google what thread your old knob has.

Then search on ebay for matching one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The ones in the motor factors will do fine, granted they won't be as good as an original part but they will be far better than what's on there already.

However before buying in your local motor factors maybe a call to the nearest main dealer might be wise just to compare the price difference as if there is not much in it a genuine item might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    What type of car? Is it the original factory gear knob you have? Some details & maybe a photo if you can would be helpful. :)

Jesus drives a Honda Accord don't you know, but he won't tell you that.

jesus-drive_zpsdc227f4f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I was getting a few bits and bobs in woodies yesturday and saw a lovely leather gear knob for sale in there for €15 didn't look tacky or anything like universal ones do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I was getting a few bits and bobs in woodies yesturday and saw a lovely leather gear knob for sale in there for €15 didn't look tacky or anything like universal ones do.

Thanks for that CRX. I went down to Woodies today and picked it upon for 16.40 Euro. Now, how to get this old one off!

It won't twist off and it doesn't appear to "clip" off either. The inside bit off the top is missing, you know the bit that has the gears 1,2,3,4,5,R marked on it and there's a small hole down the middle which just fits a screw.

Any idea guys?

EDIT: I went out again and just reefed it and it came off! All done and dusted.

Thanks again Gents. Much obliged.

(P.S. Great picture Jayok! You caught me on a good hair day. :D)

Advertisement