Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

choosing a fitness tracker?

• 17-01-2015 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm debating investing in a fitness tracker, but am getting overwhelmed in my research. As a college student its a fairly high investment purchase so price is a consideration, but if it seems like a worthwhile purchase that isn't going to give up on me after a few months ill find a way to justify it.

The main factor I'm interested in is sleep tracking and the ability to wake me up in a lighter cycle, something that seems to be fairly inconsistent in nearly all models I've read reviews of, apart from jawbone up24.

However I've heard jawbone is unreliable and many claim it simply Stops working after a while, any truth to this?

I run for recreation so GPS tracking would be a bonus, along with calories burned but food tracking isn't a deal breaker. Not to bothered on if its waterproof or not, once it can tolerate getting caught in the rain....

I'm using a iPhone 4S as opposed to android, and would also prefer something unobtrusive and I'm not sure in my abilities to remember to clip on those style of trackers.

The fitbit flex is currently going for less than €70 in Halfords apparently, is this my best bet for what I'm after or is there something more suitable anyone can recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

My sister swears by jawbone! She finds it brilliant..so much so she bought one for myself and our mam at xmas. i haven't used it yet coz my phone/tablet isn't updated enough :/

but apparently, they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

berger89 wrote: »
    My sister swears by jawbone! She finds it brilliant..so much so she bought one for myself and our mam at xmas. i haven't used it yet coz my phone/tablet isn't updated enough :/

but apparently, they are great

yeah the same, friend of mine has been using his one and told me they are very handy.

Ive ordered one myself from aliexpress only 30quid.
    Hopefully should get it this week, will let you know what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Apologies for Zombie-threading but I figure theres no point creating a new thread for my query.
    I'm considering getting an entry-level fitness tracker (< €100 ) and would appreciate the input of those of you who know more about this kit than I do.

I've been considering the Jawbone Up2, Fitbit Flex, Fitbit charge and Moov - though there are a host of others and its all a bit overwhelming.

Firstly, I mainly do weightlifting and bodybuilding type workouts, not so much Cardio etc so thats a factor.

I would like the tracker I get to track:
    Steps taken
    Calories Burned (ballpark estimate)
    Elevation (stairs taken)
    Calorie tracking (Ideally synced or using MyFitnessPal or similar)
    Sleep tracking
    Notifications for meals
    Notifications for not-hitting or exceeding daily fitness (heart-rate / steps taken) goals.

If you could suggest a tracker that hits some/ all of these I would appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I stopped using my Charge HR because the app was so buggy and inconsistent it was infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I use the Fitbit Charge HR, and I love it, I have a fitbit scales too with the app on my iPhone, but these are the things I measure:
    Heart rate
    Distance travelled
    How floors I have walked up
    Active minutes
    Exercise
    Weight/body fat (Fitbit scales Aria)
    Calories eaten (MyFitnessPal works with it)
    Calories left
    Water intake
    My sleep and it's quality
    Calories burned
    Steps taken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

My Charge HR has been excellent thus far - that said, I've yet to test it during a proper workout. The App on my android phone has been working just fine too.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I have a charge HR and so far have found it very good. While logging activities might over exaggerate the calories burned I like how it shows your heart rate throughout. And you can connect it to a bunch of other apps like myfitnesspal and runkeeper and stuff like that where it can pull the data to have all your info in one easily viewed dashboard. I've only had it a few days but I'm happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    The charge HR sounds like it might fit the bill, though tbh I was hoping to end up with something similar in style to the Jawbone UP2.
    AFAIK the UP2 doesnt have a heart rate tracker and it has also had some functionality issues.

Has anyone tried the Moov?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I have the garmin vivofit (original version) and find it very good for the basic step / activity / sleep tracking. I can also track heart rate with a chest strap when required.

One of the main upsides for me is that you don't have to charge it. I've had it for about 18 months and haven't had to change the battery yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 cremeeggeater

Diceicle wrote: »
    Apologies for Zombie-threading but I figure theres no point creating a new thread for my query.
    I'm considering getting an entry-level fitness tracker (< €100 ) and would appreciate the input of those of you who know more about this kit than I do.

I've been considering the Jawbone Up2, Fitbit Flex, Fitbit charge and Moov - though there are a host of others and its all a bit overwhelming.

Firstly, I mainly do weightlifting and bodybuilding type workouts, not so much Cardio etc so thats a factor.

I would like the tracker I get to track:
    Steps taken
    Calories Burned (ballpark estimate)
    Elevation (stairs taken)
    Calorie tracking (Ideally synced or using MyFitnessPal or similar)
    Sleep tracking
    Notifications for meals
    Notifications for not-hitting or exceeding daily fitness (heart-rate / steps taken) goals.

If you could suggest a tracker that hits some/ all of these I would appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks in advance.

I originally had the UP24 and it worked fine for about 6 months before clutching, but they sent me out a new UP2 as a replacement. It's great for tracking steps as you can calibrate it to your stride however it doesn't have elevation. It also doesn't monitor your heart rate but will send you notifications on your step progress throughout the day and you can set your own tailored reminders too (e.g. time to get ready to go to bed). You can track nutrition on it to, or sync it to my fitness pal. One of my main reasons for going with Jawbone was for the sleep tracking as it will wake you up when you're in a lighter sleep cycle. While it does do this, the sleep tracking isn't always the most accurate but it gives you a guideline.

In terms of workouts, you can log them in yourself with a general selection of what you did (weights, cross train, cycling etc.) and then let it know how much effort you put in and for how long you were exercising. I tend to mix up my workouts and prefer weights to cardio and it seems pretty effective at estimating calorie burn.

It was on sale for 99 when I bought it about a year ago and customer service were decent enough to upgrade me for free when it started giving me hassle. I'd recommend it as it does the job, particularly with the gentle alarm waking you up in a lighter cycle of sleep (really makes a difference!) The app is easy to use but it would be nice to have a display on the tracker itself and have a heart rate monitor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far.
    The charge HR sounds like it might fit the bill, though tbh I was hoping to end up with something similar in style to the Jawbone UP2.
    AFAIK the UP2 doesnt have a heart rate tracker and it has also had some functionality issues.

Has anyone tried the Moov?

I have the UP3 and it has a heart rate monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Had an UP24 last year. Wouldn't recommend it. Didn't find if comfortable (which is my large wrist!) but it was also freeze and require hard resetting every few weeks. Would become tiresome. Also, even though it last well over two days, the battery life was seriously reduced even in six months.

Advertisement