Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda Civic hybrid converted to LPG

• 11-11-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Following on from a previous post on reducing commuting costs I took the plunge last week and had my Honda Civic hybrid converted to lpg. I intend updating this thread occasionally with real life costs/savings with the system and honest feedback on the pros and cons of my conversion.

The conversion was done by vvtech in kilcullen. The guys there were helpful, efficient and did the job promptly and the saab courtesy car was a nice drive for the few days.
    Having done 6 prius conversions before they were keen to try the civic. They said the civic system was an easier integration than the prius, except for the fact the civic engine bay was to tidy and made some fittings harder to add in.
    The lpg ecu is an add on to the main civic ecu so the hybrid electric motor still contributes and the stop/start technology still works as it should.
    The spare wheel well took the 56l tank, but the boot floor is raised half an inch. For me thats not an issue, I'm happy to have good lpg range and sacrifice the asthetics of the never really seen boot!
    Otherwise the system is simple. One button added to an unused slot beside the drivers door. On cold mornings the car has run for up to 3km on petrol before lpg kicks in. On a normal day it could be on lpg after 20 seconds.
    Odd observations - with a pretty much full lpg and petrol tanks the rear is riding slightly low. Ironically enough the car seems to handle better on the road now. It always seemed a bit keen to roll in the corners, but seems more solid now...

So far so good. It'll take a few more weeks to get an idea of economy. The lpg fuel filter needs replacing every 10kms, so we'll see how that works, it's supposed to be a quick 50 quid job...
    The car is due a service in the next 1km, so it'll be interesting to see if my usual mechanic will send me packing or be delighted with the variety!

Most importantly, my wife is content. She sees no difference driving it and there are no extra buttons or dials to worry about......
    All in the conversion was 1200. This included extra for some aluminium injectors to suit the civic engine.

I have a free 1km check. After that I should have a few figures on fuel consumption and any negative feedback if the system is causing initial hassles.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Good luck! Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it the old or new shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any issue with your insurance company when you informed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Bigus wrote: »
    Stick with the civic hybrid

Also put low rolling resistance tyres on it when tyres are due for a change.

LPG on the civic would be the cheapest way to commute , even better than the best diesel.

I hope it works out well for you,

Good reliable car you have there with none of the expensive diesel expensive drawbacks.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Firstly, see link for photos on the lpg.ie website - http://www.lpg.ie/Gallery/Honda/CivicHybrid

Insurance company have car fully covered on the basis I will submit the engineers report, which I have done and if they have any issues they will revert. They did advise there should be no hassle and no or negligible premium change. They said its not common but not unusual, once the company is legit all should be fine.

Its a 2009 civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Looks neat, but the filler cap seems very low to the ground. Would this place get a bit of crap from the roads and would you have to get on your knees to attach the nozzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

what mpg do you get from the hybrid ? Im guessing your doing mostly around town spins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

aidanki wrote: »
    what mpg do you get from the hybrid ? Im guessing your doing mostly around town spins

No,see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057074075

Bigus wrote: »

I see 50mpg at motorway cruising, is that at 75-80mph ar at 60mph, v good going at motorway speeds

what does it typically return ?

The typical driving is short trips and around town, which would give 39 to 40 mpg. Anytime I've done proper driving around the country and done a clock the distance and fill the tank test I get about 47 mpg. Pure motorway and good road driving gives about 55mpg on the trip readout, but I'm slow to trust that.

I'd drive on the speed limit most of the time, not that slow. The car can get very efficient when driven in a certain way. For example, on a flat road at about 43kph ish on cruise control the battery seems to give virtually all the power. Also, slow pick when taking off, building up speed gives no real battery contribution, whereas a bit more poke takes power from the battery and as such reduce fuel consumption.....

Also cruising on downhills really benefits the battery getting more juice.

• Advertisement

lfp wrote: »
    The typical driving is short trips and around town, which would give 39 to 40 mpg. Anytime I've done proper driving around the country and done a clock the distance and fill the tank test I get about 47 mpg. Pure motorway and good road driving gives about 55mpg on the trip readout, but I'm slow to trust that.

I'd drive on the speed limit most of the time, not that slow. The car can get very efficient when driven in a certain way. For example, on a flat road at about 43kph ish on cruise control the battery seems to give virtually all the power. Also, slow pick when taking off, building up speed gives no real battery contribution, whereas a bit more poke takes power from the battery and as such reduce fuel consumption.....

Also cruising on downhills really benefits the battery getting more juice.

those figures are good v good efficiency for a 1.4petrol, I wonder what would be the equivalent if you could turn the hybrid feature off

The best economy help from the electric motor comes at slower speeds and accelerating. The electric motor has very little input on motorway driving. The key to good mpg for me is cruise control. The car seems to be way more efficient when I use it. I'm guessing its to do with the computer being better able to select battery input and kick in the lean burn mode of the 1.33 engine. How u drive is a big factor also. My wife never uses cruise control and wouldn't coast downhills and that all adds up in seriously reducing mpg compared to my own driving.

On the fuel cap location. It's easy to access, no dirty knees. The actual dirt on the bumper might be a headache. I'll report back after a few fills.... I'll be stealing a pack or two if baby wipes, just in case!

cruise is less efficient than a steady throttle position. The downside of this is that your speed will vary a lot.

This is verified by looking at the instant mpg on any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Just curious, what has the combined range increased to?

The electric motor in the prius while it does do less at motorway speeds it does kick in when you put the boot down to accelerate. Maybe in the civic it does less because the motor in the civic is a lot less powerful. 20 hp V 67 hp in the Prius.

The civic engine is 85 hp V 75 in the Prius however the motor in the prius has 300 lbs of pulling power + 70 lbs for the engine while the civic produces 129 combined. What that translates to at the axle is anyone's guess.

I don't know much about the gearbox in the civic but the prius gearbox is insanely simple with just a single speed gearbox because the motor has so much torque, it doesn't need gears 1-3 or whatever ratios that would translate to in a normal cvt. The MK III prius is even simpler again.

The trick is learning to use the hybrid system when off the motorway and I average 60-65 mpg, though that will drop in cold and even more if I put the winter tyres on.

Converting the prius to lpg interests me greatly, but getting the right system installed is crucial because the engine starts and shuts down so much I need to be sure that when up to temperature it will always start on lpg.

I don't know how long more I intend to keep it either. Looks like we'll have it a while longer, my partner feels it's not worth spending 1200 on with 105K or so miles. I would have to keep it 3 years to justify it and will already have it 3 years in Feb.

This also scares me when I heard of it, most likely due to poor installation !

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/toyota-prius-taxi-blows-up-in-barcelona.html

Prius-Barcelona.jpg

cruise is less efficient than a steady throttle position. The downside of this is that your speed will vary a lot.

This is verified by looking at the instant mpg on any car.

I agree the theory says cruise is less efficient, but in reality and maybe its down to the way I drive cruise is better

TBi wrote: »
    Just curious, what has the combined range increased to?
    Basic calc seems to give between 1200km to 1300km depending on how efficient I drive. The 56l lpg tank can take about 45l of fuel. I'll never test it in reality as I hope to only fully use petrol when caught away from an lpg filling station

The electric motor in the prius while it does do less at motorway speeds it does kick in when you put the boot down to accelerate. Maybe in the civic it does less because the motor in the civic is a lot less powerful. 20 hp V 67 hp in the Prius.

The civic engine is 85 hp V 75 in the Prius however the motor in the prius has 300 lbs of pulling power + 70 lbs for the engine while the civic produces 129 combined. What that translates to at the axle is anyone's guess.

I don't know much about the gearbox in the civic but the prius gearbox is insanely simple with just a single speed gearbox because the motor has so much torque, it doesn't need gears 1-3 or whatever ratios that would translate to in a normal cvt. The MK III prius is even simpler again.

The trick is learning to use the hybrid system when off the motorway and I average 60-65 mpg, though that will drop in cold and even more if I put the winter tyres on.

Converting the prius to lpg interests me greatly, but getting the right system installed is crucial because the engine starts and shuts down so much I need to be sure that when up to temperature it will always start on lpg.

I don't know how long more I intend to keep it either. Looks like we'll have it a while longer, my partner feels it's not worth spending 1200 on with 105K or so miles. I would have to keep it 3 years to justify it and will already have it 3 years in Feb.

This also scares me when I heard of it, most likely due to poor installation !

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/toyota-prius-taxi-blows-up-in-barcelona.html

Prius-Barcelona.jpg
    The guys who did my conversion did 6 prius already for a taxi company i think. If you buzz them they might give you the contact details and get real life feedback on a prius conversion

Basic calc seems to give between 1200km to 1300km depending on how efficient I drive. The 56l lpg tank can take about 45l of fuel. I'll never test it in reality as I hope to only fully use petrol when caught away from an lpg filling station

You'd surely only carry about 10 litres of petrol rather than a full tank with all that extra weight when you don't need it ?

The guys who did my conversion did 6 prius already for a taxi company i think. If you buzz them they might give you the contact details and get real life feedback on a prius conversion

I'm sure the accident was down to poor installation, maybe they were inexperienced, but yes I must contact them to find out about switching back to lpg straight away when the engine warms up.

Best of luck with the conversion by the way.

• Advertisement

You'd surely only carry about 10 litres of petrol rather than a full tank with all that extra weight when you don't need it ?

Agreed. I'm not sure how much petrol I'll carry. On cold a cold day with a few short trips spread throughout the day I could cover 15k to 20k of my driving with petrol. In warmer weather and rare short journeys 10l could last months and months. I'll play it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Mad lad, what happened your prius that it needs 1200EUR?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Mad lad, what happened your prius that it needs 1200EUR?

You should read the post from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

my bad - thought you meant it needed some work rather than an lpg kit

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

If the engine is warm, it should run on LPG instantly. I think the LPG ECU has a coolant temperature sensor and will swap over once it reaches a certain temperature. I know my own car starts on LPG when it is warm.

74merc wrote: »
    If the engine is warm, it should run on LPG instantly. I think the LPG ECU has a coolant temperature sensor and will swap over once it reaches a certain temperature. I know my own car starts on LPG when it is warm.

There are some LPG kits that do not switch straight to LPG on a warm engine in the Prius.

There are some LPG kits that do not switch straight to LPG on a warm engine in the Prius.

It depends on the system you pay for. I think I could have gone with an 800 euro package but it wouldn't have the straight to lpg when the engine is warm and doesn't allow the stop/start feature to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'd love to do a plug-in conversion on my Prius, it's insanely expensive though, it would be cheaper to sell my car and just buy a Prius Plug-In :pac:
    http://www.pluginsupply.com/

if there was an LPG station anywhere near me, I would go down that road as well

BMJD wrote: »
    I'd love to do a plug-in conversion on my Prius, it's insanely expensive though, it would be cheaper to sell my car and just buy a Prius Plug-In :pac:
    http://www.pluginsupply.com/

if there was an LPG station anywhere near me, I would go down that road as well

I thought about the plug in conversion but to do it properly you need to hack the ECU and also remove the NiMh battery for lithium.

You can use the existing battery along with lithium but you got to use a 12V 5kw inverter and it's not very efficient.

The conversion where you remove the existing NiMh pack along with ecu hack allows for up tot 70 mph in ev mode depending on load but the motor has only 67 hp so it would not be very powerful except for lower speeds where it's got a lot of torque.

Also this way means you are messing with over 350 volts of DC power which is lethal.

Also it's not financially viable.

You'd pick up a leaf in 2014 for 10 grand which is not much more than what batteries would cost to convert the prius by the time you pay import taxes and vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

This DIY worked for a short while but did not end well. Yer wan is a bit nuts but she tried....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0pO1bXdpE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn81ETL2bgU

And then
    UPDATE: July 2009.
    "Unfortunately my Prius suffered a catastrophic battery short at the end of June, causing one of the batteries to gas severely and explode. "
    http://www.evalbum.com/1744

Advertisement