Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the used car market fecked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Any feedback that you see with my add (in signature) before I put it on donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You'd be doing well to sell that at 5.5k - The type of person that'd want to buy that car simply wouldnt have 8.5k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to sell that at 5.5k - The type of person that'd want to buy that car simply wouldnt have 8.5k

well, thats wrong, €6995 is the price point for that car selling private.
    5.5k is incorrect.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Any feedback that you see with my add (in signature) before I put it on donedeal?

post a link please...i've sigs turn off.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by the type of person that would want to buy the car? :confused:

MidlandsM wrote: »
    well, thats wrong, €6995 is the price point for that car selling private.
    5.5k is incorrect.

The real world is slightly different to whatever website you got that 'price point' off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Any car will sell quickly at the right price. If it's been more than a few weeks and you've had no interest, it's overpriced. It's only going to continue to depreciate, so take the first decent offer you get, as it will never be worth any more in a years time etc.

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Drop the price low enough and you can sell anything*. If a car is in good condition and there is nothing wrong with it, you should be able to find a buyer quickly enough at the right price.

RoverJames wrote: »
    What do you mean by the type of person that would want to buy the car? :confused:

Nothing malicious - It's a car built for comfort and power but at a budget - Typical owner for this car (being 5 years old) is a young man who's got his first steps into the corporate ladder. New job not that new of a car, unless this guy lives at home 8.5k is a lot of money. If he doesnt 8.5k still isnt that appealing.

The real world is slightly different to whatever website you got that 'price point' off.

ohhh sorry, I only do this for a livin' - but I bow down to your comprehensive keyboard knowledge in this complex automotive pricing arena.

Please accept my humplest apologies.........

LOL :D:D:D

ps...........you talk some bollox....! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

MidlandsM wrote: »
    post a link please...i've sigs turn off.
    http://www.adverts.ie/1245562

Nothing malicious - It's a car built for comfort and power but at a budget - Typical owner for this car (being 5 years old) is a young man who's got his first steps into the corporate ladder. New job not that new of a car, unless this guy lives at home 8.5k is a lot of money. If he doesnt 8.5k still isnt that appealing.

I would have thought most buyers of them would have a sprog or two and be married, commuting a bit to work etc etc etc. Can't see a young dude being overly keen on one. The young suited knob would go A4 me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Nonesense. That car is worth a lot more than 5500, unless there is a hidden problem (unlikely, as the seller seems fairly up-front here).

The son of a local is looking for a Passat at the minute, and is being asked 6500-7000 for 06-07 petrols ... now that's too much. I could sell him something but I can't find a 06/07 passat from my trade contacts.

I would hae thought that OP's car would sell easily at 6995. Personally I'd advertise it at 7700 for a week or two, trying to get 7000, and if unsuccessful I'd drop to 7300.

Per other comments, done deal and more pics is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It might well not be worth even 7 considering the high miles, old tax system issue, being 1.9 rather than 2.0, it doesnt have much going for it including the fact that it is black and therefore only a limited number of people would be interested anyway.
    I got a late 08 passat 2l 140bhp common rail with 75000 miles for 10k in early Jan, it will be sold next Jan with 85000 on the clock for around 8 hopefully and thats in silver which appeals widely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Senna wrote: »
    Over a year without selling it?? Either your not bothered about selling it, your advert or pictures are terrible or you have an unrealistic asking price.

I would always take the hit with a car sale rather than messing about, better to asked a couple of hundred less than other examples and get it sold within a week or two.

cars can sell, I sold a mondeo literally 2 hours after getting it a good professional wash...

and reducing the price it has to be said, this is in the midlands uk where cars are notorious to sell.. like at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

rubbish add

buyers want to see interior pics, pics of the engine bay, pics of keys on the passenger seat surrounded by service logs and manuals in a wallet.

then it will sell.

i would give that add about 20 seconds of my time and move on..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I was looking to buy a 2nd hand car one of the main requirements would be mileage as low as possible.

I wouldn't touch any car with over 80k on the clock to be honest, hence I'd shut your advert down as soon as I seen that. Maybe others are like me?

I'm sure there are plenty. But they would be wrong to make a decision based on mileage. A high mileage car may have been drive all it's life on a motorway causing minimal wear and tear while a low mileage example could have been hammered over every speed bump and pothole around town. It's all about condition and service history for me.

To the owner of the Passat, your description is misleading and mentioning equipment that your car most likely does not have is not a good idea. I have never seen a baseline B6 Passat with climate control, heated seats or "all electrics".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why are some people here going on about high mileage, typical Irish attitude where the mind set is that anything with 100k miles or more is a ticking timebomb. Condition and service history is more important than what the odometer reads. It's a 5 year old diesel car which has covered just over 20k miles a year. The laughable thing here is that if the mileage was shaved on that car, the same few people here would probably say it is a great buy. Mileage is not an accurate indication of wear or use.

Now back on topic. OP, as others have said, the site you have it on is terrible with little or no traffic. The one photo is not enough to grap a buyer's attention, one photo gives the impression the seller has no interest. Take better photos (great opportunity with the good weather at the moment). Half the battle is getting someone to come view the car and a well presented advert needs to stand out from many others. Lastly the price is high for it's age, you will need to adjust it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Owen wrote: »
    They won't have to, they only pay for Tax from the date of purchase.

It doesn't matter what is the law - if some buyers think they have to pay old tax, you lose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

September1 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what is the law - if some buyers think they have to pay old tax, you lose them.
    I don't know ANYONE who has or does think this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why are some people here going on about high mileage, typical Irish attitude where the mind set is that anything with 100k miles or more is a ticking timebomb. Condition and service history is more important than what the odometer reads. It's a 5 year old diesel car which has covered just over 20k miles a year. The laughable thing here is that if the mileage was shaved on that car, the same few people here would probably say it is a great buy. Mileage is not an accurate indication of wear or use....

I've run a few cars to 150k miles, and in the family we've had some cars done 250k+ (taxi's etc). Regardless at certain mileage some things often have to be changed, you may have to look at shocks, discs, clutches, things like that. Not big things in themselves, but can add up, especially if you can get a car for similar money that doesn't need all of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For fun then..

06 2.0 TDI Passat (metallic black),Auto/DSG gearbox, 212000 km of 99% motorway mileage up and down the M3/M50, Comfortline spec (so cruise control, climate control, electric windows all round, driver's electric seat), full on-time VW main dealer service history, injectors replaced under recent recall, new fuel pump too in the last 6 weeks, NCT (will be) Apr 2014

Regular readers will know it's like my baby and that so much as a side bulb out annoys me to a degree that it's replaced within 2 days, regularly hoovered and cleaned with no young kids and sticky fingers to mess it up :)

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BostonB wrote: »
    I've run a few cars to 150k miles, and in the family we've had some cars done 250k+ (taxi's etc). Regardless at certain mileage some things often have to be changed, you may have to look at shocks, discs, clutches, things like that. Not big things in themselves, but can add up, especially if you can get a car for similar money that doesn't need all of those things.

You can also have a car with a fraction of the mileage needing the same things replaced, it depends on who drove it and how it was driven. Parts don't necessarily wear with mileage, they wear with use or abuse. Some people disgarding a car because it has more than 80k or 100k miles on the clock is just daft.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I don't know ANYONE who has or does think this

I know plenty of Joe Soaps who don't know basic stuff like this or the fact you can NCT a car three months in advance (essential for an Alfa owner :) )
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    For fun then..

06 2.0 TDI Passat (metallic black),Auto/DSG gearbox, 212000 km of 99% motorway mileage up and down the M3/M50, Comfortline spec (so cruise control, climate control, electric windows all round, driver's electric seat), full on-time VW main dealer service history, injectors replaced under recent recall, new fuel pump too in the last 6 weeks, NCT (will be) Apr 2014

Regular readers will know it's like my baby and that so much as a side bulb out annoys me to a degree that it's replaced within 2 days, regularly hoovered and cleaned with no young kids and sticky fingers to mess it up :)

How much?

Auto box? I'd run a mile given my mainly urban driving.

€5.5k perhaps? There's an element of too much stuff (electric seats etc) that could go wrong with the car, possibly why we have poverty specs here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stheno wrote: »

€5.5k perhaps? There's an element of too much stuff (electric seats etc) that could go wrong with the car, possibly why we have poverty specs here :)

You've obviously never driven a DSG-equipped car then I assume as it's far superior to a traditional auto (or manual I'd argue) :)

To be fair, while I take your point about the possibility of issues, I've never had anything go wrong on the car in the 4 years I've had it other than wear and tear items (understandable given the 1000 km a week I was doing) and the regular servicing keeps her running great. It's an Irish car incidentally too.. not an import.

You have hit on the problem though - the Irish punter will have none of dem slow thirsty autos dat don't get the cheap tax and have windy windows cause shure why would you need anythin more? :rolleyes:

Pity cause I do fancy a change but for that price I might as well keep her till one of us goes broke looking after the other! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I did up this ad in the link for a mate last week, it was sold in less than two hours (!). Admittedly its a cheap Hiace and they are often sought for export but it took us 30 mins to drive down the road (as its more telegenic then the one he lives on!), take the photos and load them up on donedeal and adverts.ie.

Time well spent IMO, he got 12 calls in 2 hours, 6 for export, 6 were Irish, van was well priced and to be fair it was always well looked after. He never put it through the DOE as he reckoned it would go for export but its a good idea how to put in a proper ad for a car/van.

Description includes a few bits and bobs that are desirable on a thing like this such as ply interior, hook rails etc etc, mentions the good points such as it being the old reliable engine, gave it a wash for €8, cleaned the interior and the back, made sure to take a photo of the quality tyres with the Conti logo showing and away you go. A little bit of effort goes a long way.

Link is here:

http://www.adverts.ie/trucks-commercial/toyota-hiace-2-4d-lwb-2001/1472858

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You've obviously never driven a DSG-equipped car then I assume as it's far superior to a traditional auto (or manual I'd argue) :)

To be fair, while I take your point about the possibility of issues, I've never had anything go wrong on the car in the 4 years I've had it other than wear and tear items (understandable given the 1000 km a week I was doing) and the regular servicing keeps her running great. It's an Irish car incidentally too.. not an import.

You have hit on the problem though - the Irish punter will have none of dem slow thirsty autos dat don't get the cheap tax and have windy windows cause shure why would you need anythin more? :rolleyes:

Pity cause I do fancy a change but for that price I might as well keep her till one of us goes broke looking after the other! :p

I've not and I'm a petrol fan, I learned to drive in a nasty diesel where you'd to wait for the glow plugs to warm up (early 80's diesel) to do anything, so I'm predujiced :) and I'm not a massive fan of all this new tech, and there are too many reports of the ignorant suffering as a result of their ignorance buying diesels and not understanding the higher service costs (not something I didn't know, the VW I learned in hit 200k miles in 1998!)

Your car is 100% ideal for the likes of my OH whose criteria for a car is "big, black, has a big boot, and is easy to maintain" He's in the market for a new car and those criteria haven't changed from three and a half years ago.

He just wants a car he can get in, goes first time, he services it once a year and that's it. He's lucky in that his sort of driving fits your car, he does a long motorway trip once a month, and the rest is urban driving.

Myself and my mechanic take care of his servicing and have had conversations about his car that the OH remains blissfully unaware of as he is just not interested.

That applies imo to a huge percentage of the motoring population in Ireland.

Were it 11 months time, I'd be seriously looking at your car for my OH, it's a special occasion and to mark it he's getting a new car, currently looking at 06/07 accords, but given the price differential and his appreciation of cars, he'd love yours.

Your car has also hit the magical 200k where things imo start to go wrong, it might have a two year NCT but stuff happens, now I drive a 12 year old alfa, so I'm not one to throw stones, but there are stages in the life of a car in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

bijapos wrote: »
    Was it sold from adverts?

I got my first negative review on there :(:rolleyes: from some twat who didn't buy anything from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Stheno wrote: »
    I know plenty of Joe Soaps who don't know basic stuff like this or the fact you can NCT a car three months in advance (essential for an Alfa owner :) )

What are you on about? Urban driving is the best scenario for an Auto, NCT doesn't do much for a car's mechanical condition, and electric seats rarely go wrong.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Urban driving is the best scenario for an Auto, NCT doesn't do much for a car's mechanical condition, and electric seats rarely go wrong.

I may be wrong but from all the reading on here, and any additional reading I've done on modern diesels (including Autos) if they have a DSG then they need a regular long journey at least once a month to clear up any residue build up or it can cause issues, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

Also I posted from the perspective of being an owner of a very very old diesel even when I had it, I consider extras like electric seats etc to be just something more that can go wrong.

And from a buyers point of view not having an NCT especially if it's near due is a put off as it indicates something to hide.

Advertisement