Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hed be one of the ballyduff kearneys.... :D

anyone know the other waterford college results?

A clean sweep for the Waterford sides :)

DLS 6-21 Kerry Colleges 1-6
    Blackwater 3-20 Charleville CBS 0-9
    Colaiste na Deise 3-12 St. Caimins Shannon 0-11

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Waterford forwards for 2013.

Despite playing more open hurling this year it was disappointing that we didn't score many goals all year in both league and championship. Is there any forwards around the county that can step up to the mark?

Assuming John Mullane stays around (hopefully he will anyway) who are the forwards that will accompany him next year. Will Seamus Prendergast come back for another year? He was always a great man to catch a ball however the shooting has been wayward for the most part, he had a good year this summer though.. Is there anyone else around the place to stick up the lamh and get his hands on the ball??Maurice Shanahan and Pauric Mahony are probably the only other certain starters I would see, Maurice in particular started to look the part this year a bit IMHO.

Who are people's favorite options for the other spots? Am living outside the county with small kids taking up my time so don't get down much to club matches unfortunately, has anyone been ripping up the floorboards for DLS and Dungarvan or anyone else for that matter? Would love to see a new Ken McGrath type figure ( or 3) emerging.

Up the Deise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Deskjockey wrote: »

Despite playing more open hurling this year it was disappointing that we didn't score many goals all year in both league and championship. Is there any forwards around the county that can step up to the mark?

Assuming John Mullane stays around (hopefully he will anyway) who are the forwards that will accompany him next year. Will Seamus Prendergast come back for another year? He was always a great man to catch a ball however the shooting has been wayward for the most part, he had a good year this summer though.. Is there anyone else around the place to stick up the lamh and get his hands on the ball??Maurice Shanahan and Pauric Mahony are probably the only other certain starters I would see, Maurice in particular started to look the part this year a bit IMHO.

Who are people's favorite options for the other spots? Am living outside the county with small kids taking up my time so don't get down much to club matches unfortunately, has anyone been ripping up the floorboards for DLS and Dungarvan or anyone else for that matter? Would love to see a new Ken McGrath type figure ( or 3) emerging.

Up the Deise

There are some nice young forwards knocking about that haven't been quite ready to step up to the mark the last season or two. Unfortunately its hard to say that there is anyone coming through who looks in the mould of a Ken, Flynn, Mullane or Dan. But you never really know until a fellah is given a chance.
    The 2 young forwards you'd have to say impressed the most in this years club championship have been Jamie Barron (FMW) and Jake Dillon (DLS). Dillon has been spoken about with a while however Barron has played most of his underage intercounty hurling as a corner back. There are other young forwards that have shown promise like Eamonn Murphy (Dunhill) Brian O'Halloran (Clashmore) Martin O'Neill (Mount Sion) and Gavin O'Brien (Roanmore).
    The most worrying aspect however was the performance of our U21 team against Clare in the championship this year. All of the above were playing and to be frank were completely out of their depth. Admittedly Clare went on and cruised to AI glory afterwards but considering we won the minor 3 years ago its not a great sign.
    I would think Seamus Pender will wait until the new year to see if hes still up to another season of it. I wouldnt necessarily agree that Maurice Shanahan should be a definite starter either. Id say that himself and Pauric are similar in the sense that their good from frees but dont necessarily give you enough from open play so youd wonder is there really a place for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There are some nice young forwards knocking about that haven't been quite ready to step up to the mark the last season or two. Unfortunately its hard to say that there is anyone coming through who looks in the mould of a Ken, Flynn, Mullane or Dan. But you never really know until a fellah is given a chance.
    The 2 young forwards you'd have to say impressed the most in this years club championship have been Jamie Barron (FMW) and Jake Dillon (DLS). Dillon has been spoken about with a while however Barron has played most of his underage intercounty hurling as a corner back. There are other young forwards that have shown promise like Eamonn Murphy (Dunhill) Brian O'Halloran (Clashmore) Martin O'Neill (Mount Sion) and Gavin O'Brien (Roanmore).
    The most worrying aspect however was the performance of our U21 team against Clare in the championship this year. All of the above were playing and to be frank were completely out of their depth. Admittedly Clare went on and cruised to AI glory afterwards but considering we won the minor 3 years ago its not a great sign.
    I would think Seamus Pender will wait until the new year to see if hes still up to another season of it. I wouldnt necessarily agree that Maurice Shanahan should be a definite starter either. Id say that himself and Pauric are similar in the sense that their good from frees but dont necessarily give you enough from open play so youd wonder is there really a place for both of them.

I think players like Casey and Thomas Ryan should be jettisoned at this point. They've both been in the panel now for a few years, and have gone beyond the stage of promising young players. Eoin McGrath is retired now as well, so that probably should free up three places straight away.

I'd add Madigan (DLS) to the group above. Personally I don't understand why he isn't in the senior hurling panel - maybe there is a reason beyond his ability.

I first became aware of him when DLS went to the All Ireland semi final in 2010, particularly in the semi itself when he was in the full forward line knocking over outrageous points. Now he finds himself at wing back for DLS and the county U21's?

We're in dire need of a full forward and a centre forward, and I reckon Madigan, particularly for his size, should be brought in and developed for either of these roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think players like Casey and Thomas Ryan should be jettisoned at this point. They've both been in the panel now for a few years, and have gone beyond the stage of promising young players. Eoin McGrath is retired now as well, so that probably should free up three places straight away.

I'd add Madigan (DLS) to the group above. Personally I don't understand why he isn't in the senior hurling panel - maybe there is a reason beyond his ability.

I first became aware of him when DLS went to the All Ireland semi final in 2010, particularly in the semi itself when he was in the full forward line knocking over outrageous points. Now he finds himself at full forward for DLS and the county U21's?

We're in dire need of a full forward and a centre forward, and I reckon Madigan, particularly for his size, should be brought in and developed for either of these roles.

He played wing back for the u21s, and is currently wing back for DLS. Would like to see him in there as a forward all the same.

• Advertisement

He played wing back for the u21s, and is currently wing back for DLS. Would like to see him in there as a forward all the same.

Sorry yeah, that was exactly what I was meaning to say.

I first became aware of him when DLS went to the All Ireland semi final in 2010, particularly in the semi itself when he was in the full forward line knocking over outrageous points. Now he finds himself at wing back for DLS and the county U21's?

Id definetly agree about Madigan aswell. A big strong imposing player with bags of ability. These type of lads are hard to come by. Interesting to see if hes in the shake up come the new years.

Id like to add something about Tony Browne and I'll probably be shot for suggesting it. But I really think its time for him to step aside. The future is the priority now and the longer hes around the longer a younger lad will have to wait to develop into a senior intercounty player. This was the first year he was seen to be not up to 70 mins of hurling. I know all about what he has given waterford but theres comes a time when the best interests of Waterford hurling has to be considered. Id like to see him retire from hurling before hurling retires him.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Id definetly agree about Madigan aswell. A big strong imposing player with bags of ability. These type of lads are hard to come by. Interesting to see if hes in the shake up come the new years.

Id like to add something about Tony Browne and I'll probably be shot for suggesting it. But I really think its time for him to step aside. The future is the priority now and the longer hes around the longer a younger lad will have to wait to develop into a senior intercounty player. This was the first year he was seen to be not up to 70 mins of hurling. I know all about what he has given waterford but theres comes a time when the best interests of Waterford hurling has to be considered. Id like to see him retire from hurling before hurling retires him.
    Agree totally about Tony.

The main ones I'd see for next year to come aboard would be Barron, Dillon, Madigan, Shane Kearney (Dungarvan) and possibly Shane McNulty (DLS). The two Barry's (Ray and Seanie) and the two Prendergast's (John and Paudie) of Lismore could be options too as they all had decent seasons (Paudie was on the panel this year but didn't get much game time).

Other than that, it seems to be a case of as you were. Maurice, Paudric Mahony, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien will have to continue to step it up and try work the scoreboard more. Brian O'Sullivan of Ballygunner another that will be back in the frame.

Would agree with hardybuck re Casey and Ryan. They haven't offered much in the last few years, both good club hurlers but just not sure if they have it for intercounty. It's a pity that the game has gone the way it has that a player like Tommy Ryan would not make it, as his lack of physicality would count against him and the days of a nippy corner forward are all but gone.

The draw for 2013 championship on tonight at 7.30. Interesting to see who we get, as the last 4 years we've gotten bye's to the Munster semi against either Clare or Limerick so I'd say we're due having to play a first round game at this stage.
    Toughest draw IMO would be v Clare 1/4 final with the winners playing Tipp in semi. Best draw would prob be a bye into semi v Limerick.

Cake Man wrote: »
    The main ones I'd see for next year to come aboard would be Barron, Dillon, Madigan, Shane Kearney (Dungarvan) and possibly Shane McNulty (DLS). The two Barry's (Ray and Seanie) and the two Prendergast's (John and Paudie) of Lismore could be options too as they all had decent seasons (Paudie was on the panel this year but didn't get much game time).

Other than that, it seems to be a case of as you were. Maurice, Paudric Mahony, Martin O'Neill, Gavin O'Brien will have to continue to step it up and try work the scoreboard more. Brian O'Sullivan of Ballygunner another that will be back in the frame.

Would agree with hardybuck re Casey and Ryan. They haven't offered much in the last few years, both good club hurlers but just not sure if they have it for intercounty. It's a pity that the game has gone the way it has that a player like Tommy Ryan would not make it, as his lack of physicality would count against him and the days of a nippy corner forward are all but gone.

The draw for 2013 championship on tonight at 7.30. Interesting to see who we get, as the last 4 years we've gotten bye's to the Munster semi against either Clare or Limerick so I'd say we're due having to play a first round game at this stage.
    Toughest draw IMO would be v Clare 1/4 final with the winners playing Tipp in semi. Best draw would prob be a bye into semi v Limerick.

I've not had a chance to see McNulty play in the forwards for DLS this year, but apparently he's scoring for fun. I remember him being a classy centre back for the Waterford underage sides in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I reckon we'd beat ye :D

I actually think this will be the closest Munster Championship in years. Last year had lots of good games but Tipp were too strong in the end. But I think every other team will be improved next year while Tipp might have suffered a bit of a setback, we'll see how O'Shea gets on.

At the moment, I'd want anybody other than Tipp in our first game.

a semi final meeting with cork is what id like. that would whet the appetitie. we owe them one after this year

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Fireball07 wrote: »

I actually think this will be the closest Munster Championship in years. Last year had lots of good games but Tipp were too strong in the end. But I think every other team will be improved next year while Tipp might have suffered a bit of a setback, we'll see how O'Shea gets on.

A Limerick v Clare Munster Final next year is not beyond these two improving sides. It would make for a very exciting match.
    I think that we may struggle for the next few years as some serious rebuilding is required but who knows sure we will have club championship coming up soon, our two counties might clash again look what happened last year.

I've not had a chance to see McNulty play in the forwards for DLS this year, but apparently he's scoring for fun. I remember him being a classy centre back for the Waterford underage sides in recent years.

He only scored a point against Mount Sion, and by all accounts it was well wide (and a bad wide at that). Not saying he's not any good, but I think it's case of people getting way ahead of themselves here. All the players mentioned deserve a chance, but the jury is still out on all of them, especially Jake Dillon for me who has way too much talk about him, and sometimes when I watch him I wonder does that prove a hinderance to him.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Would give ye a good chance Fireball, it would be very 50/50. Same if we met Cork tbh and we'd owe them one from this year.
    Fully agree that it's an open enough Munster next year with nearly every team capable of beating anyone else on the day, which is no bad thing. Clare would be my dark horse for it, they'll surely be high on confidence from the U21 AI and their other minor and U21 successes in the last few years.

He only scored a point against Mount Sion, and by all accounts it was well wide (and a bad wide at that). Not saying he's not any good, but I think it's case of people getting way ahead of themselves here. All the players mentioned deserve a chance, but the jury is still out on all of them, especially Jake Dillon for me who has way too much talk about him, and sometimes when I watch him I wonder does that prove a hinderance to him.

Yes but didn't McNulty score something like 1-15 in the previous four games before that? While not trying to hype him too much, any player scoring like that deserves recognition.

Yes but didn't McNulty score something like 1-15 in the previous four games before that? While not trying to hype him too much, any player scoring like that deserves recognition.

But DLS won those games by an aggregate score of about 70 points! He is good, but I'd like to see him playing u21 for Waterford first at least before throwing him into the Senior team.

But DLS won those games by an aggregate score of about 70 points! He is good, but I'd like to see him playing u21 for Waterford first at least before throwing him into the Senior team.

Id agree with that. He was on the Waterford minor team that was trounced by Tipp earlier in the year. Not saying it was his fault but he was pretty anonymous the same night. Wouldnt even be talking about the likes of him for a couple years yet. Lots more younglads ahead of him in the pecking order. On Dillon Id agree that he has been over-hyped. Its because he can be magic some days, but other days he seems to find it hard to get into games. Still young so lets just wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

I agree totally cakeman it's obvious you have seen a lot of the games over the year. Interesting DEISEBHOY 17 mustn't have seen any of the Lismore games throughout the year as he failed to include some of there players who might be worthy of at least a look at for the senior set up!!
    But in all honesty that's about all you would think would be worth a look at cakeman and maybe Maurice Power from Abbeyside whom has hurled consistently well over the year and going on reports had a fine game in the u21 western final last weekend. Dare i say would Stephen Bennett be too young? Granted his injury problems are well documented at this stage but maybe if he was brought in for the odd training session throughout the season would it be a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Deskjockey wrote: »

Up the Deise

No mention of Shane Walsh, or is it that you dont rate him. Most would say that apart from Mullane, he is Waterford's best forward in the last two or three years.

• Advertisement

One of the greatest crimes ever in the history of Waterford hurling.

Your not suggesting that the Munster Council in anyway can fix the draw so that this happens. I bet its just the luck of the draw that they often get an attractive quarter final game to get the championship underway, most often Cork against Tipperary.

We do that a lot in this county, and i take no pride in saying this but it most happens in the city. People see maybe a good hurler in the Tony Forristal Competition and they have him ready for the senior inter county team at 17 when he can play senior. But I suppose it might be fair to say that the most of the blowing up of players come from fair weather supporters. The person that watchs a lot of hurling will know that there is a big step up from underage hurling to senior intercounty hurling. I remember a few years back lots of people really talking up De La Salle's Craig Maloney. Yes he was a fine underage hurler but having him in the minor county panel at 15 was putting a lot of pressure on him. The same could be said about James Quirke. I remember seeing him play under 14 and 16 and there was nothing to stop him. He was a big powerful hurler, a lot bigger than those who were playing with and against him. But when it came to minor he was very ordionary as others had caught up with him physcically and also developed as a hurler. He left De La Salle a few years ago and joined some club in Wicklow. The talk from some people he was hoping to break into the Wicklow team but never made it and has now gone back to playing with De La Salle where he will be well down the pecking order when it comes to putting on subs.

He is a good player, but when you go saying things like he scored 1-15 in the previous four games, you have to take into account who he played against. In the quarter finals they played a Lismore team with out Brendan Landers (I know they have an excellent replacement in Seanie Barry), Michael Colman, Shane Kearney and Maurice Shanahan. These I am told were the goal keeper, full back, centre back and full forward in Lismore's first championship game against Dungarvan back in May. Other teams they played were Roanmore and Dunhill. With no disrespect to these two, in other counties, like Tipperary, Kilkenny or Cork, would they be considered a Senior team.

zol 2 wrote: »
    I agree totally cakeman it's obvious you have seen a lot of the games over the year. Interesting DEISEBHOY 17 mustn't have seen any of the Lismore games throughout the year as he failed to include some of there players who might be worthy of at least a look at for the senior set up!!
    But in all honesty that's about all you would think would be worth a look at cakeman and maybe Maurice Power from Abbeyside whom has hurled consistently well over the year and going on reports had a fine game in the u21 western final last weekend. Dare i say would Stephen Bennett be too young? Granted his injury problems are well documented at this stage but maybe if he was brought in for the odd training session throughout the season would it be a bad thing?

I was at the querter final against DLS a couple weeks ago. I thought John Prendergast hurled very well not so much Paudie. But who else would you consider worth a try out for the seniors?
    You mention Stephen Bennett I think some previous posts above about over-hyping players in this county have been echoed. Bennett is minor again next year and doing his leaving cert. I hope its a case you didnt realise that, otherwise its a ludicrous suggestion!!!!

Black Suir wrote: »
    We do that a lot in this county, and i take no pride in saying this but it most happens in the city. People see maybe a good hurler in the Tony Forristal Competition and they have him ready for the senior inter county team at 17 when he can play senior. But I suppose it might be fair to say that the most of the blowing up of players come from fair weather supporters. The person that watchs a lot of hurling will know that there is a big step up from underage hurling to senior intercounty hurling. I remember a few years back lots of people really talking up De La Salle's Craig Maloney. Yes he was a fine underage hurler but having him in the minor county panel at 15 was putting a lot of pressure on him. The same could be said about James Quirke. I remember seeing him play under 14 and 16 and there was nothing to stop him. He was a big powerful hurler, a lot bigger than those who were playing with and against him. But when it came to minor he was very ordionary as others had caught up with him physcically and also developed as a hurler. He left De La Salle a few years ago and joined some club in Wicklow. The talk from some people he was hoping to break into the Wicklow team but never made it and has now gone back to playing with De La Salle where he will be well down the pecking order when it comes to putting on subs.

Agreed that people often get carried away with Waterford, but also I argue that the Western folk are every bit as bad. There have been more than a few Western names bandied about in this thread as the potential players of the future - many of them who will never produce.

I think it is very unfair to the likes of O'Neill, Dillon and Madigan in particular to be compared to Quirke and Moloney.

Moloney was an exceptional talent but had a terrible attitude and walked away - good luck to him. We'll never know how good or bad he might have become. Not only was he in the county minor team at 15, I remember him as being probably their best player.

Quirke was never going to be a top senior player. While Quirke and Moloney were similarly built, Moloney was tough and brave, Quirke wasn't brave and injury prone. While his free taking was absolutely top class, he offered no threat from play at all.

Most of the city players mentioned have excelled at minor and U21 county level, and stood out on very strong club sides. Naturally they should be talked about as senior prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Black Suir wrote: »
    No mention of Shane Walsh, or is it that you dont rate him. Most would say that apart from Mullane, he is Waterford's best forward in the last two or three years.
    Says more about of full forward line than anything. He wouldn't make any other team in top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

solarith wrote: »
    Says more about of full forward line than anything. He wouldn't make any other team in top 6.

Dont agree with that, think he is a fine hurler who isnt always utilised as well as he should be and doesnt get great service, would make most teams.

solarith wrote: »

So, he wouldn't make it into the Galway full forward line ahead of James Regan (to name but one)? Or the Limerick forward line (which is good, but they don't have 6 quality forwards). I'd have him in the Tipp team ahead of Brian O'Meara and Pa Bourke (if I had another free taker). He'd walk onto the Cork team.

The only team I could see him not making would be the Kilkenny team.

• Advertisement

Agreed that people often get carried away with Waterford, but also I argue that the Western folk are every bit as bad. There have been more than a few Western names bandied about in this thread as the potential players of the future - many of them who will never produce.

I think it is very unfair to the likes of O'Neill, Dillon and Madigan in particular to be compared to Quirke and Moloney.

Moloney was an exceptional talent but had a terrible attitude and walked away - good luck to him. We'll never know how good or bad he might have become. Not only was he in the county minor team at 15, I remember him as being probably their best player.

Quirke was never going to be a top senior player. While Quirke and Moloney were similarly built, Moloney was tough and brave, Quirke wasn't brave and injury prone. While his free taking was absolutely top class, he offered no threat from play at all.

Most of the city players mentioned have excelled at minor and U21 county level, and stood out on very strong club sides. Naturally they should be talked about as senior prospects.

I think it's County wide to be honest. It comes from the lack of underage success we've had and the fact that we've had some good teams recently, and the fact that people have more exposure to underage.

For the last three u21 games (spanning three years) there are about 4 players who I would say have impressed me, 3 City players and one from the West. 2 of those are established Senior players (the City lads) and another is Brian O'Sullivan.

When I think about the amount of players from the City that have been hyped to no-end in rececnt years, I count about 12 players.

I'm not saying any of these players don't have talent, I just think that there's a lot of pressure and hype about some lads that have a long way to go before they have any chance of making it at the highest level. Some of them have made a very impressive transition into Senior inter-county already, and well done to them. But we need to keep our expectations in check.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement