Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I-YAN BAAAAAAAARRRR, I-YAN BAR.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Deadlift

60x2x5, 80x5, (Belt) 100x3, 125x2
    150x4,1

Probably could have pulled the 5 if I'm really honest.
    I believe buying the belt was the right decision. Its like feedback.
    I can feel the belt in my lower back so I know it isnt rounding. I can feel my abs (HAHAHAHAH) pressing against the belt when I fill out and it reminds me to stay locked. What with that and the hips cue that that saffrican powerlifter gave me deads felt good today.

Technically a PR but it was not a full set of 5 as I stopped to get my breath.

Power clean

60x3, 70x3

Just cos

Press

20x2x5, 30x5, 40x3, 50x2
    61x5,4,4

Pushpress

61x5

**** buzz, I had no hope of getting rep five of set 2 and 3.
    Its sticking like a bastard just above my head. Which is incidentally just when the prime mover goes from Shoulder to tricep. So my triceps are weak.

I did some pushpresses to punish them.

Chins

Hammer Curls 12.5x8 each arm.

My elbow thingy is back a bit.
    Hurt during the chins so I did some curls.
    Feels ok now. COuld be a MFR related injury.:eek:
    Lot of acting the bollox in this session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

just wondering what program you're doing? it seems ripletoeisssshh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

colman1212 wrote: »

Aw man don't spell Rippetoe wrong in this log :D

colman1212 wrote: »

If you read back (not advised) It was once the Linear progression which Rippetoe described in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training.

I don't like calling the programme Starting Strength, because there are a few published programmes that Rip has put out there which are basically the same except the pulls are different and the one in SS:BBT isn't even the one the author recommends.

I was having trouble getting my deadlifts which was either down to having done squats on the same day or **** form. Probably both, but I decided to do deads first. Then I decided that pairing a vertical pull with a vertical push and similar with horizontal. But its all loosely linear progression.

TL;DR:

A linear progression (like Starting Strength or Stronglifts are linear progressions) but of my own design.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Aw man don't spell Rippetoe wrong in this log :D

GTFOML :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

d'Oracle wrote: »
    A linear progression (like Starting Strength or Stronglifts are linear progressions) but of my own design.

So what you're saying is you're copying Rips programme but changing it a bit? Sounds familiar...

G86 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you're copying Rips programme but changing it a bit? Sounds familiar...

Rip didn't design Linear Progression.

And I know what you are getting at and my problem is not that Medhi changed the linear progression, that would make no sense as Rip changed the linear progression as have literally tonnes of people. Justin Lascek for example, or Kethnaab (who ever he is)

My problem is:
    1. Medhi makes up all the other stuff as he goes along, giving terrible advice as he goes.
    2. The exercise selection in Stronglifts is silly.
    3. The volume is wrong, hence why so many people doing stronglifts end up dropping to 3x5 as soon as it gets heavy.
    4. Medhi has no authority to be telling anyone what to do. He has no qualification, never competed at anything his lifts are ****.
    5. He claims that SS:BBT is the basis for his programme then contradicts it, not with his programme, but his awful articles. (e.g. belts & not touching your shins with a DL)
    6. People who know a lot more than me about the core lifts of both programmes think he is useless.

If someone asks me which to listen to I say Rip, because Rip competed at powerlifting, learned from Bill Starr and is a certified Senior Weightlifting coach with USAWL and he wrote SS:BBT.

Medhi is literally some guy with a website. He has admitted to same in interview. He wrote an e-pamphlet explaining the programme and started a website.

Thats all it is right there.
    If you want to keep having pops at me and accusing me of turning things into slagging matches for answering a damn question, go ahead. I like you, but **** it if I'm going to have people following me around internet an forum trolling me.

And Finally I AM NOT TELLING ANYBODY ELSE TO DO MY PROGRAMME.
    I am experimenting with my own programming its my choice to do it and you are a mile out of line coming in my log and somehow equating me training in a small gym in South Dublin to what Medhi is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Thats all it is right there.
    If you want to keep having pops at me and accusing me of turning things into slagging matches for answering a damn question, go ahead. I like you, but **** it if I'm going to have people following me around internet an forum trolling me.

And Finally I AM NOT TELLING ANYBODY ELSE TO DO MY PROGRAMME.
    I am experimenting with my own programming its my choice to do it and you are a mile out of line coming in my log and somehow equating me training in a small gym in South Dublin to what Medhi is doing.

'Keep having pops' at you? Eh, when? Complete overreaction mister, seriously. But I'm not going to retaliate further and have this turn into a slagathon so I'll leave it at that, you're right - it's your log. Good luck with your training.

Now that that unpleasantness is over....

Squat

20x2x5, 60x5, 80x3, (Belt) 100x2
    127.5x5,5,4,1

Errrr, ****it its a PR. I had to rack the last one as I was loosing my grip, but the rep was in my hips alright more or less got straight back under it. Elbow trouble is truly back now. Its fizzing at the moment gonna try curls and see if they help. Back with the Osteo next week so I might get him to wobble a needle around in my elbow again.

Press

20x2x5, 30x5, 40x3, 50x2
    61x5,3,3

Push Press

61x5

Could be a lack of recovery due to the push presses and failure on wednesday. Nobody to bench much, So I hummed a bit and two small lads jumped on the bench so I was pressing.
    Failed bad in the same spot. Tried a few things, Belt, layback etc, but just felt weak and stuck solid. Might reset.

Push presses.......

Pendlay Rows

30x5, 60x5,
    70x3x5 PR

Yeah, I'm starved of PRs so I'm taking that.

DB Curls

12.5x2x10

In the hammer style

Deadlift

60x2x5, 80x5, 100x3, 125x2
    155x1,1,1
    150x2

Brought in my Ego by accident.
    Wasn't bad really, juts 155 is too heavy.
    It should be grand in a week or two.

Bench

20x2x5, 40x5, 60x3, 70x2,
    80x3x5

Reset. Missing reps by too much.
    Gonna microload back up and see what happens.

Pendlay rows

20x2x5, 40x5, 50x3, 60x2
    75x3x5

Bit heavy.
    Might stay there for the next workout.

Barbell Curls

20x10
    15x2x8

:p

• Advertisement

Squat

20x2x5, 60x5, 80x3, (belt)100x2,
    130x5,5,4 Fail.

FU. Went forward didn't fight long. Went to the pins.
    Some reps were a bit ****, but I should have gotten that last rep.
    Not a happy bunny.

Press

20x2x5, 30x5, 40x3, 50x2
    61x3x5 PR

Longer rests did the trick.
    Also cleaned up my second two work sets as one of the resident mastodons wanted to squat. Still experimenting with the belt.
    Used it for the out of the rack set but not the off the floor sets.
    Not sure I know how to use it on the press.

Some largely pointless snatch practice.

Chins

Ghey.

One arm DB rows

25x8 e.a.
    37.5x20 e.a.

Pain.

Kneeling Jumps

2x5

Just killing time waiting for a lift.

Pints last night and lack of food today.
    Also just bone feckin lazy to the point that I nearly didn't train.

Upshot being I got there late.

Deadlift

60x2x5, 80x5, (belt) 100x3, 125x2
    150x3,1,1

Sort of. I didn't go walkabout or anything, but I did let go of the bar.
    Such a pussy.
    Eitherway the last two were messy, one was hitched, both were away from the legs. As I get tired I start pulling the bar up instead of back when I put tension on the bar.

Bench

20x2x5, 40x5, 60x3, 70x2,
    81x5,5,1

Probably didn't rest enough, but my Elbow went haywire. I felt it earlier but after one rep on set 3 it was real sore.
    THe warm ups even felt heavy and I just couldn't get my set up right, felt like I was slipping. So I'm not worried about it.

Barbell Curls (no homo)

20x8, 30x10, 25x2x10

Hopefully this will help.

**** session overall, but better than not going, which was a real possibility today.

Shoulder girdle mobility stuff:

Foam roller t-spine & Rhomboids.
    Two tennis balls taped together of doom on T-spine.
    Sticky ribs with single tennis ball 20 passes 5 positions, then again on a few bits of the left (giving me heaps of guff)
    Hockey ball on my dodgy Psoas

Warmup:

Sumo Walk,
    OH Shrug,
    Leg Swings,
    arm swings,
    20kg Wide stance G.M.
    Quad Walk.
    Squat Stretch

Just though I'd stick all that in, in case anyone still reads.

Squat

20x2x5, 60x5, 80x3, (belt) 100x2
    130x3x5

Long rests again.
    Wrecked after every set of course.
    Form wasn't as bad as it has been and oddly the last set was probably the easiest. Largely not as slow as I expected.
    I think I am good for 140 before I have to change up. But Will I make it that long.....

Press

20x2x5, 30x5, 40x3, 50x2
    62.26x5,4,4

:mad:
    Left shoulder still hadn't decided to come to the races, despite all the work I did on it. Overhead postion was free as hell, but the left delt just said "I aint doin ****, fcuk it"
    Annoying because I felt I still had "press" left in the right, but the harder I pushed the more my left arm flared
    Angry man. Still I should get it next time, if I approach it right.
    Used the belt on the last set, still don't feel like it does owt.

Chins

Going to try splitting the approach on the weeks I chin twice. Maybe do a heap of doubles till I can't do anymore, (like the Training sets day on the Armstrong Programme) On Friday.

Its getting tough to motivate myself to go train.
    I still do, but as I'm still getting stronger and a bit bigger I will keep hammering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I still read.

Also i have no log so i'm putting this here.

100kg x 10 Pendlays

5rep pr :cool::pac:

I still read.

Also i have no log so i'm putting this here.

100kg x 10 Pendlays

5rep pr :cool::pac:

FFFUUUU!

That's awesome chief.
    Can I play poker on your back?

FFFUUUU!

That's awesome chief.
    Can I play poker on your back?

if you tuck your willy between your legs i'll consider it.

Deadlift

60x2x5, 80x5, 100x3, (belt)125x2
    150x4,1

Lost the bar forward, stood up sort of fiddled briefly with my belt and got back to business.

Bench

20x2x5, 50x5, 60x3, 70x2
    81x3x5

Grand. Solid.
    Right elbow and shoulder had some whinging to do but it was grand.

Pendlay Rows

20x2x5(sort of) 40x5, 50x3, 60x2
    70x3x5

Much better today.
    Not exactly fast or snappy, but did them fairly proper.

Power rack barbell curls

20x8, 30x2x10

Haven't trained since. WHich is **** cos I will be off for a week from friday.

I did hike Scarr and Kanturk yesterday though.

Tonight:

Deadlift

60x2x5, (Power clean 60x3) 80x5, 100x3, 125x2
    155x3,1,1

Not much rest really between.
    Just catching my breath. Pretty happy.
    Was meant to squat but the rack was pretty congested.
    One of the strengths of SuperBarbellSystem (:P) is that if you can't squat you can just do the other workout.

Press

20x2x5, 30x5, 40x3, 50x2
    62.26x3x5 PR

All cleaned up due to SRC.
    Which makes it fairly awesome.
    Last rep was a grinder.

Chins

8x2 +1

Not really much in the way of improvement going on here.
    But We will see how this adjustment helps.....

Curls

20x8, 30x10,8

Done off the bench cos the squat rack was under use.
    :D

Also two kids asked me some questions today.
    I was in a mad rush.
    They wanted to know how to build the triceps chest and traps.
    I told them to bench and deadlift. Probably scared to ask big Philly.....

Squat

20x2x5, 60x5, 80x3, 100x2
    132.5x5,4,4

Not a good day for squatting. Don't think I ate enough last two days.
    Was going forward a lot. Last reps of the last two sets were horrible.
    Put it down to a bad day.

Bench

20x2x5, 50x5, 60x3, 70x2
    82.26x3x5

Fairly solid as I would expect.

Pendlay Rows

20x2x5, 50x5, 60x3,
    72.26x3x5

Supersetted with:
    72.26kg Full Clean and Jerk x1

Cos I wanted to.
    Bit down in the dumps after the squat so I did some Full C&J singles.
    Which made me happy.

Thinkin' about changing some things.

Definite possibility of jumping on the 5/3/1 bandwagon to see how I like more a tightly prescribed system. I am still a novice but I am getting a bit cheesed off with the linear progression.

Had a read of the book and have a few plans for which way to go.
    But I'm not sure if I'm gonna start straight away.
    I had been thinking of getting my squat up to 140kg and Bench up to a paltry 90kg before coming off the Slope=2 linear progression I have been doing recently but I might not bother either.

Also I reckon I need to look more like Zac EffeteEffron so I need to add some conditioning for a bit maybe get my abs to be nice and concave, get that real weaker-than-the-lady next to me look going on....

Seriously though, I may or may not need to look awesome in a rather fancy suit in the not overly distant future. So I should trim off a bit, get happy with my gut and then throw in some more hypertrophy orientated stuff to see how it goes.

My biggest worry is that if I loose weight my Press might suffer, but I guess I will have to see.

The plan would be maybe 2 months of 5/3/1 on my lifts with chins MAYBE cleans, core & Hamstring work but otherwise minimal assistance and metcons, (crossfit & Otherwise) Complexes etc maybe even some stupid ghey cardio.

Then after that when its coming up to christmas and I'll be eating big anyway, hit some hypertrophy based assistance.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    First person to mention Diet gets called names.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You want to get off the linear progression buzz, but you want to get on the 5/3/1 buzz?!

How'd ya feel about doing some sort of specialization phase? Smolov or Coan-Phillipi or whatever?

Hanley wrote: »
    You want to get off the linear progression buzz, but you want to get on the 5/3/1 buzz?!

How'd ya feel about doing some sort of specialization phase? Smolov or Coan-Phillipi or whatever?

oooh i was gonna say this!

it's amazing what having one lift that doesnt suck balls will do for your motivation in the other lifts.

Plus you'll get bull strong in one movement which deffo transfers.

Thing is I'm still weak as Janet Jacksons bra straps.

Do you think its wise hitting something so intensive?
    Am I concentrating too hard on being wise?

The 5/3/1 thing is it is basically something strict I can work all lifts in.
    I don't trust my self to design my own stuff.
    Can you smolov OH Press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

do ya know what woulkd be a great way to fix this....
    a good blast of Smolov or Coan-Phillipi or something

Do you really think its wise hitting something so intensive?

So what you're saying is.... you're weak, but you don't want to hit one lift particularly hard and make it not weak?!

Look at it this way, the best thing you can do is squat more. You'll deadlift more, you'll be capable of supporting more weight everywhere and you'll be more awesome for it.

Do Smolov, bench 3-4x a week using Dan John's one lift a day protocol, start around 70-75% 2x5, add 2.5kg a week for length of smolov, do some pendlay rows, some guns and some abs.

Use 140 as your starting max for Smolov, you'll squat 160+ at the end of the 3 week base cycle. Start with 65kg 2x5 on the bench and do it 4x a week, add 2.5kg a week during Smolov and you'll end up repping 90 x5's handy.

The other big advantage of doing the above is that you're exposing yourself to a ridiculous amount of volume in both lifts, so you'lll get very technically competent at them too, which will have a positive impact going forward.

Can you smolov OH Press?

Not if you plan to use your shoulders ever again.

Smolov bench deffo carry over to OH Press.

The 5/3/1 thing is it is basically something strict I can work all lifts in.
    I don't trust my self to design my own stuff.
    Can you smolov OH Press?

Yeah you can do everything in 5/3/1 and not really get anywhere. Look at the experience of everyone here. No one's made big strides with it.

You can try Smolov overhead pressing if you want.... it's something I've thoguht about too. I wouldn't mind a guinea pig doing it first :p

Tbh any high volume moderate to high intensity routine will have a positive impact on any lift. It can't not!!

If you're worried about your DL going no where for the 10 weeks of Smolov, do speed pulls after your 10x3 day. 8-10x2 with 60-70%. Will keep the deadlift groove, improve barspeed and may even lead to a PR since your entire lower body will be stronger.

Thanks lads.

look at it this way, when my back allowed me to un**** myself i did smolov bench.

i used 140 as a max, there is no way i would have hit this, but i knew i had the reps at lower weight if i sucked it up.

Ended up with 150 after 3 weeks.

I did Smolov Base Squat, with 150 having not squatted anywhere near that in about 2 years. and pulled 180 out of it.

As a result of the squats i went in last week and Trap Bar DL'd 207 having not deadlift at all since september of last year.

This **** works, and it's fun.

• Advertisement

look at it this way, when my back allowed me to un**** myself i did smolov bench.

i used 140 as a max, there is no way i would have hit this, but i knew i had the reps at lower weight if i sucked it up.

Ended up with 150 after 3 weeks.

I did Smolov Base Squat, with 150 having not squatted anywhere near that in about 2 years. and pulled 180 out of it.

As a result of the squats i went in last week and Trap Bar DL'd 207 having not deadlift at all since september of last year.

This **** works, and it's fun.

Nuff said really!!

I'm gonna do that calcs for Smolov overhead.

EDIT: PS - just f*cking do Smolov base for your squat. You don't even need to thank me, you'll have a bigger squat. Everyone wins.

Advertisement