Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nct question [power steering fluid leak]

Options
  • 07-11-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I leaking power steering rack is an Nct failure? I need to add a bit of fluid every few days to keep it going. I've a last minute test on Sunday so don't have time to get it off and rebuilt at such short notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, it is (if they find it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

biko wrote: »
    Yes, it is (if they find it).
    thanks Fingers crossed they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try putting a can of the powersteering stop leak, I used 10k boost, comes in a black tin with a ring pull.
    It softens the seals and might help the leak at short notice.
    Mine was weeping a bit from the motor and I used a can, the motor still leaks but a fraction of what it did.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try putting a can of the powersteering stop leak, I used 10k boost, comes in a black tin with a ring pull.
    It softens the seals and might help the leak at short notice.
    Mine was weeping a bit from the motor and I used a can, the motor still leaks but a fraction of what it did.
    Thanks I have already done that and it still leaks a bit.

On another note I need to replace a few wishbone bushes in the morning and I need someone with a hydraulic press to push them in. Anyone know anyone they has one preferable on the northside with one that opens Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

Just for anyone interested the car went through the test and nothing was said about the leaking rAck. No idea if he noticed it or not.
    It was a scary Nct actually I thought their was loads wrong and I've never seen a tester poke and prod so much! The test took ages and in the end all I need to pass is 2 new rear tyres that are worn on the inside only so I never noticed it, and a seat belt receiver which isn't locking properly.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Nice one.

Just for the records, there's a crowd near the Red Cow Hotel called Coby's Tyres. I have brought suspension bits from an MX5 to them in the past, they have pressed out the old bushes for me (pressing in the new Powerflex polybushes afterwards was easy enough for me to do myself)

BTW my car (XK8) failed NCT in the past for "leaking power steering" at Fonthill NCT Centre, which was BS as the oil was clearly old engine oil (which was fixed when I replaced the camcover gaskets). Silly me didn't clean the old oil off the engine and steering bits. But you'd think the NCT guys would know the difference between PS fluid and engine oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

franksm wrote: »
    But you'd think the NCT guys would know the difference between PS fluid and engine oil.

How would you tell? All manky dirty oil around the fittings on the rack will look the same more or less. He would have to go for the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Well they seem to miss a good bit of stuff.
    My friend's car broke down a while ago (clutch) and as he didn't have time to fix that, and needed car urgently, he bought 99 nissan micra for 200 quid with NCT expiring in one month.
    He used that micra for one month, and he managed to do clutch in his in the mean time.
    So then he decided to have that micra NCTed ans sell it with bit of profit.
    He put it for the test, and it failed on windscreen wiper linkage, rear brakes, some rust underneath and loose front bumper.
    He fixed all, execept from front bumper as he didn't have enough time before retest, and he thought it was simple thing which he will be able to do just before the test.
    But then he looked up before the test, and bumper was loose because whole mounting point was gone off rust. He was sure that car is going to fail on retest, but it didn't.
    Guy just didn't bother looking at the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

PS fluid is very easily spotted compared to engine oil, believe me. Ditto automatic gearbox leaks, it's the same oil.

As CiniO says, they (NCT) do miss things. I don't know if they just don't give a crap or if they want to just tick boxes. For example, Fonthill also failed my car on a "missing VIN number". Again, BS, it was very visible in the boot of the car. Their Autodata book would have informed them of that. I have since switched to Ballymun NCT and have had no issues whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The general rule (I've heard:rolleyes:) is if a drop lands on the ground while their testing, it fails. If it doesn't it passes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

If you're really stuck for cash to get it fixed, bring your car to a local garage and get them to wash the under side of the car. They will charge a tenner tops.

I've done it before when I couldn't find a replacement steering rack anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

franksm wrote: »
    PS fluid is very easily spotted compared to engine oil, believe me. Ditto automatic gearbox leaks, it's the same oil.

As CiniO says, they (NCT) do miss things. I don't know if they just don't give a crap or if they want to just tick boxes. For example, Fonthill also failed my car on a "missing VIN number". Again, BS, it was very visible in the boot of the car. Their Autodata book would have informed them of that. I have since switched to Ballymun NCT and have had no issues whatsoever.

FOnthill is supposed to be the worst to go to. Highly regulated because it's a training centre or something.

Advertisement