Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Am I one of the few people who haven't had to choose LC subjects yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

meganob wrote: »
    My school is the exact same! Couldn't take not doing anything so took it upon myself to find stuff online. I found out about most of the stuff on a website called 'Tyireland.com' you should have a look but most comps are finished for the year! I only heard about it two months ago,busy ever since.
    Anyone else not get the subjects they wanted?
    About 35-40 in my TY year haven't got what they wanted! Is it the same for all schools or is it just mine?

Never heard of TY Ireland but after having a look its competitions seem very poor, the song-writing competition seems interesting though.
    ElmW13 wrote: »
    We haven't picked our final subjects yet, we've put down the subjects we wanted and were going to get our lines next week and see how they work out. I picked French, biology, chemistry and geography. What did you guys pick?

My school hasn't even told me what subjects to pick, really starting to doubt the staff over here.

VG31 wrote: »
    Am I one of the few people who haven't had to choose LC subjects yet? :)

No, my school hasn't told us either and I wish they did, knowing my options is much better than being in the dark. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

We had to choose our subjects before we went on work experience- I'm hoping we will find out this week if we got our choices but guidance is a joke in our school and especially in TY...its not like TY is the ideal year to do lots of career/subject guidance with us or anything :rolleyes:

So yeah I'm not very hopeful :rolleyes:

I chose Accounting, Economics, Music and then History as a back-up (a modern European language is compulsory in our school so I'm continuing on with French :) ). I'm pretty confident I will get Accounting and Economics but Music could be a problem...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

We had to choose our subjects before we went on work experience- I'm hoping we will find out this week if we got our choices but guidance is a joke in our school and especially in TY...its not like TY is the ideal year to do lots of career/subject guidance with us or anything :rolleyes:

So yeah I'm not very hopeful :rolleyes:

I chose Accounting, Economics, Music and then History as a back-up (a modern European language is compulsory in our school so I'm continuing on with French :) ). I'm pretty confident I will get Accounting and Economics but Music could be a problem...:(

Guidance is shocking in our school, they messed up the timetable so too of us have class together so we have to take it every second week. I've had about three classes since September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I'm choosing biology chemistry physics and french...shouldn't clash hopefully, I'd imagine I'll get my choices.

Same with Music in our school...only about 5 put it down as a choice so I think a class is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I'm choosing biology chemistry physics and french...shouldn't clash hopefully, I'd imagine I'll get my choices.

Same with Music in our school...only about 5 put it down as a choice so I think a class is unlikely to happen.

I chose the same :D I hope mine don't clash, as I'll end up with Ag. Science. I actually enjoyed doing Ag. Science this year, but I'd rather the other 3 :P

In my school they only do music at lunch time, sometimes during religion and in the mornings before class starts. I did it in first year and i probably would have kept it up if it was timetabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

meganob wrote: »

I think most people in our year got what they wanted. 35-40 people not getting the subjects they wanted is unacceptable, especially when it comes to this stage where it is the students future that can be affected. If something like this happened, I would consider changing school.

I thought so too! Parents have gone in, speaking to teachers every day,one student even did a petition, but it is apparently "sorted" now.
    We were simply told that we had to chose other subjects, so most of our year are going to be spending 2 years in a class they don't like.
    It certainly affects our careers! My friend has to do physics outside school because she wants to be an optician. Extra time and money is wasted. I didn't get history so had to pick a sub not even in my 6 preferences. Even though history isnt a requirement for anything, I know I would have enjoyed it and got more points but as were told " there's nothing we can do"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I managed to get all of my subjects (Accounting, Biology, German & Physics)
    As for TY goes; we've done an okay amount of stuff - had a law workshop & driving day in the last couple of weeks.

We're going to Germany after Easter but that's separate from TY.

Anyone going to the "Taster Day" in NUIG on April 20th?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Anyone going to Student Slingshot Academy on May 3rd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Anyone else get shortlisted for junior spiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Im actually in 5th year and got myself work experience in currys pcworld next week. Im really excited and can't wait. The manager said I would be doing merchandising. I will probably ask for a 2nd week if all goes well and hopefully that might turn into a weekend & Wednesday (school half day) job and then a summer job. I would love to work there permanently.

Has anyone got any tips to boost my chances of a permanent position. Although I won't be doing sales directly I presume while stocking shelves on the shop floor customers might approach me for help. I know a lot about computers, tvs, tablets etc so would be able to offer my advice.

While I was interviewed the other day there was another person on work experience and he was standing around a lot but I plan on always finding something to do.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

aon1998 wrote: »
    Im actually in 5th year and got myself work experience in currys pcworld next week. Im really excited and can't wait. The manager said I would be doing merchandising. I will probably ask for a 2nd week if all goes well and hopefully that might turn into a weekend & Wednesday (school half day) job and then a summer job. I would love to work there permanently.

Has anyone got any tips to boost my chances of a permanent position. Although I won't be doing sales directly I presume while stocking shelves on the shop floor customers might approach me for help. I know a lot about computers, tvs, tablets etc so would be able to offer my advice.

While I was interviewed the other day there was another person on work experience and he was standing around a lot but I plan on always finding something to do.

Thanks

What did they ask u during the interview?

What did they ask u during the interview?

Just the usual interview questions like why do you want to work here, what can you bring to the team. There was no technical questions

It was on the shop floor and took about 10 mins

aon1998 wrote: »

Thanks

The most important thing you can do is use your initiative- if you see untidy shelves, tidy them up; if another employee is stocking shelves/tidying, ask if you can help etc.

Try and get along with the other employees- at the very least it will improve your chances of getting a good recommendation at the end of the week!

Kind of obvious, but don't ever say anything negative about the work while on work experience!

At the end of the week, bring in a CV and mention to the boss that you would be interested in part-time work there if there was any going.

Give the boss a thank-you card at the end of the week as a thoughtful gesture.

Best of luck!

Great idea of the Thank You card. Thanks smiles
    Can't wait now

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Getting a bit crushty up in this forum...how's everyone's TY holding up?

Mines slowed down big time. Absenteeism not too bad among everybody but there's nothing much going on for us at the moment.

I'm organising TY hoodies and two others are organising a TY ball for the end of the year. A comically poor yearbook is being done up by everybody in my year, which is resulting in almost zero normal class and hours upon end in computer rooms. And our drama class is throwing together some dismal comedy sketches for our TY graduation evening.

Still great craic though dodging about the school, going to and fro with everyone and anyone in our year (not downtown, may I add :) ). We might not achieve much in our school day but we have a lot of fun doing it. Where there's people, there's craic.

Sounds pathetic, I know.

Getting a bit crushty up in this forum...how's everyone's TY holding up?

Mines slowed down big time. Absenteeism not too bad among everybody but there's nothing much going on for us at the moment.

I'm organising TY hoodies and two others are organising a TY ball for the end of the year. A comically poor yearbook is being done up by everybody in my year, which is resulting in almost zero normal class and hours upon end in computer rooms. And our drama class is throwing together some dismal comedy sketches for our TY graduation evening.

Still great craic though dodging about the school, going to and fro with everyone and anyone in our year (not downtown, may I add :) ). We might not achieve much in our school day but we have a lot of fun doing it. Where there's people, there's craic.

Sounds pathetic, I know.

It's the same in our school except absenteeism is a major problem! About 25% of the year were out yesterday.

We have a few workshops organised but nothing amazing- we were promised that more activities would pop up each week but so far these activities seem to be reserved for the "chosen ones" (ie the TY coordinator's favourites)!

We are going to be preparing for our TY evening for the next few weeks as it's on the 18th- hopefully that means less of the pointless classes that I am finding I have increasingly little time for. (Not to mention the many pointless projects the teachers are now piling on to prove we "worked" in their class :rolleyes:

It's good craic in class when half the class are absent/at an activity but I don't know if my parents see it that way when they ask what I did in school that day and I tell them I made posters/surfed the internet in yet another doss class...

When's everyone's TY graduation evenings? :)

We have our TY fashion on Tuesday, day and a night show so off Monday collecting clothes and what not, practice in the evening, all day Tuesday gone, probably the day off Wednesday, football Thursday and that's really the week gone. We've work experience the week that and one final week in school and then off to cappanaleigh.

As you could imagine the numbers in classes have gone down completely under the excuse of fashion show meetings and the like but sure it's grand not much left anyways

Same as most people here, alot of people just decide not to come in at all, not that I blame them we dont do much.
    Had to find anothers week of work experience for May, luckily a cafe accepted me!
    Doing some activities tomorrow, my main issue is trying to find activities outside school for Summer, football and rugby I'm not a big fan of so my choices are limited.
    Hows everyone else doing for Summer?

• Advertisement

thetalker wrote: »
    Same as most people here, alot of people just decide not to come in at all, not that I blame them we dont do much.
    Had to find anothers week of work experience for May, luckily a cafe accepted me!
    Doing some activities tomorrow, my main issue is trying to find activities outside school for Summer, football and rugby I'm not a big fan of so my choices are limited.
    Hows everyone else doing for Summer?

I (hopefully) have a job for summer so I will probably spend most of the summer working. I'm going to CTYI in DCU for three weeks at the end of June as well. Other than that I don't have anything planned. :)

I (hopefully) have a job for summer so I will probably spend most of the summer working. I'm going to CTYI in DCU for three weeks at the end of June as well. Other than that I don't have anything planned. :)

what is your summer job??

what is your summer job??

Waitressing in a hotel :) not exactly the easiest job but at least it's something :)

Waitressing in a hotel :) not exactly the easiest job but at least it's something :)
    Did you call them up or were they offering it? I'm also looking for a Summer Job but I'm a bit nervous at the prospect of contacting a place. :D

thetalker wrote: »
    Did you call them up or were they offering it? I'm also looking for a Summer Job but I'm a bit nervous at the prospect of contacting a place. :D

My mam works in the hotel so they asked her if I would be interested. Most hotels are on the lookout for workers for the summer as it's their busiest period; don't be afraid to go to them and hand in your CV. The worst they can say is "No" :D best of luck with the job hunting!

My mam works in the hotel so they asked her if I would be interested. Most hotels are on the lookout for workers for the summer as it's their busiest period; don't be afraid to go to them and hand in your CV. The worst they can say is "No" :D best of luck with the job hunting!
    Thanks! I'll be sure to see if any hotels over here are looking for staff :p

What do ye all think of the new points system we're meant to be getting?

ElmW13 wrote: »
    What do ye all think of the new points system we're meant to be getting?

A lovely idea in theory...but whether the government will be able to carry it off without messing it up remains to be seen...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

It seems more beneficial to us in relation to receiving points/getting access to more courses but it'll depend on how much it makes the points for courses go up.

• Advertisement

Some of the teachers in my school think it could be very beneficial and work fantastically or it could entirely fail and confuse the nation and bring up arguments and debates.

I'm not 100% sure on what exactly is the change in terms of what it does to courses and points. All I know is that the grading system will be changed

Advertisement