Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oxbridge Medicine 2016

• 01-10-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

I'm hoping to study Medicine in either Oxford or Cambridge beginning in 2016. My Junior Cert grades (All Higher Level) are as follows:

Maths-A
    English-A
    Science-A
    Business Studies-A
    Religious Education-A
    History-A
    French-B
    CSPE-B
    Geography-B
    Technical Graphics-C
    Irish-C

Do my Junior Cert grades matter for this and are they sufficient? I'm doing all Physics, Biology, Chemistry, French, History, Business and the three compulsories for the Leaving Cert. Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Your junior cert grades will never matter. You will never use them, and if you did you would probably be laughed out of the interview room. Good results though, keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Your junior cert grades will never matter. You will never use them, and if you did you would probably be laughed out of the interview room. Good results though, keep up the good work!

Not entirely true. They do matter, but not very much. A strong Personal Statement and good LC results will do more for you than your JC results ever will OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

pow wow wrote: »
    Not entirely true. They do matter, but not very much. A strong Personal Statement and good LC results will do more for you than your JC results ever will OP.

Just wondering if they would compare Irish student's JC results when weeding people out?. I got fairly good results considering I had a lot of upheaval and personal stuff going on for two years! ( mainly As and Bs but a few Cs), and don't believe it displays my true academic potential!. I'm not sure about applying to UCAS as I don't know if my results would be considered good enough as I know British students who would be applying with 10 A *s or more at GCSE level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cro123

Your junior cert results might matter but you'll easily fulfil the requirements.

Although Oxford require no specific Junior cert results, a similar degree (Medicine @ Edinburgh) requires B's in junior cert science, maths and english.

It's really the LC results + a great PS that they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Do you have a link to that Edinburgh requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cro123

It says I'm a new user and I can't post URL's but search Medicine in Edinburgh on the UCAS website > Entry requirements > Overseas qualifications and bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

I really, really hate to break this to you, but Cambridge (and I understand Oxford too) places a lot of emphasis on GCSE results. They see the Junior Cert as the Irish equivalent.
    Even if you do brilliantly in your interview (THE major decision factor) you probably still won't get in. For most subjects they will give you an offer after a particularly good performance, albeit a particularly harsh one. This probably won't be true of medicine because it's so heavily subscribed. I know somebody who attained 9 A's in his JC. He had an excellent interview. He ended up rejected due to that solitary "B." (in the most useless subject on the entire course)
    Still, despite the last paragraph, apply. It's a fun experience, and it is hard, for me or anybody, to know what Cambridge Admissions are looking for. You could be lucky.

Advertisement