Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Corrib Tape

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

At least the GRA are taking it seriously and not as a joke as some suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I read it and thought it was so bizarre, not an average joke, seemed to come out of nowhere. But it makes more sense now. Apparantly the girl didnt want to go in the car with all male officers as she was afraid theyd do something to her, and went in the other car instead. So the converstion is in response to this. Guards who are annoyed at her thinking theyd do something to her. Making fun of her really for thinking something extreme would happen to her, 'we'd arrest her and rape her according to her'.

That might make sense. Have you seen that published somewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

RT66 wrote: »
    That might make sense. Have you seen that published somewhere?

No, sorry should have said its secondhand info and not from any source. It was on the thread in the ladies lounge. A poster read somewhere that the girl hadnt want to get into the car as it was all males, I need to find out if this was said anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If you look at the full recording it is at the start. The girl keeps saying she is afraid of wht will happen to her friend and she won't let her go alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

k_mac wrote: »
    If you look at the full recording it is at the start. The girl keeps saying she is afraid of wht will happen to her friend and she won't let her go alone.

Whilst they [the protesters] got lucky, I think they were deliberately trying to windup the members and plant thought in their heads or the heads and suspicion for anyone watching the tape ~~ UP to the the time the camera was confiscated.

What happened in the car was probably instigated in a thought process, instigated by the protester herself.

I heard the recording on the radio yesterday, instead of my PC and I must say it had a totally different effect and comment that I thought were made by one member were not, IMO no thought of any action was on the minds of these members, even when joking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

gbee wrote: »
    What happened in the car was probably instigated in a thought process, instigated by the protester herself.

"Your honour I'm not guilty of shooting Mr. X dead, he is the guilty party. What happened was instigated in a thought process which was instigated by Mr. X himself. Booyah.". :D

On a more serious note, I wonder are the likes of Eirigi and the 32 County Sovereignty Movement involved in the protests? Those scumbags have had a great time the last few days, celebrating the murder of a police officer north of the border and now this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

mr cowen wrote: »

Assuming this is 'the' actual recording :

To follow up on my comments yesterday, I have to say they sound like a decent bunch of lads. While joking on the subject of 'rape' is not tasteful or funny (imo) I think there was no malice indented when taking the whole conversation in context. In fact prior to the 'joke' they were discussing how to safely convey people down from a tractor. (ignoring the whole Shell debate etc)... These people have the safety of the public in mind. I think these lads have learned a very hard lesson.

Also, after hearing the whole recording, I now think the press have blown this up a bit and the clips in the media don’t really tell the whole story... IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

At least the GRA are taking it seriously and not as a joke as some suggest.

For the love of sweet jaysus you can't be serious? A few gardaí make a crude joke and 3/4 quarters of the country are up in arms.

Let me ask you this, if you believe that gardaí are not allowed to make jokes in private, how do you enforce it? Monitor their conversations whilst on duty?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    For the love of sweet jaysus you can't be serious? A few gardaí make a crude joke and 3/4 quarters of the country are up in arms.

Let me ask you this, if you believe that gardaí are not allowed to make jokes in private, how do you enforce it? Monitor their conversations whilst on duty?

They were on break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Once again, they are not 'in privte' while in a public car, being paid from the public purse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

No the gardai are not allowed make jokes...they cannot smile or show any signs of real life, they are robots expected to take all the abuse that is thrown at them...spit on them, walk all over them, its allowed!!

Just listened to the new recording released today of a guard making a sexual comment! The person recording is purposely trying to wind the guard up...pure trouble maker!!

These people are troublemakers, law breakers with an agenda!

Every tom, dick and harry is showing up with a recording of a guard saying “boo” to them. If you weren’t out causing trouble you would have no dealings with them.

Now when I see the ‘shell to sea’ campaign I will automatically think of disgust. To the workers at this plant, Hurry up and complete your job so the good citizens of Rossport can go off and find new people to harass.

Once again, they are not 'in privte' while in a public car, being paid from the public purse.

Yes they are. By your logic anyone can just sit into a Garda car whenever they want, or walk through a Garda station or how about walking into the presidents bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

What??

They most certainly are in private. It is NOT a" public car" . .try gettin into one some night and see how you get on . . . All state property is NOT public . . .a Garda Car is not a public place under any legal defenition . . .

Being a Garda is a job, nothing else . . .you basic human rights are not removed from you when you sign up . .althought the right to silence has been severly erroded ( although not yet tested in court ).

A private conversation between consenting adults, no matter how bizzare or distasteful or childish etc is still that, a private conversation between consentng adults. It matters not if it takes place in on or off duty, in a car or elsewhere as long as it is between the same persons and they all consent to it . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Corcioch wrote: »
    A private conversation between consenting adults, no matter how bizzare or distasteful or childish etc is still that, a private conversation between consentng adults. It matters not if it takes place in on or off duty, in a car or elsewhere as long as it is between the same persons and they all consent to it . . . .

If this is the case within the guards concerning jokes about rape, well then they have nothing to fear................

k_mac wrote: »
    Yes they are. By your logic anyone can just sit into a Garda car whenever they want, or walk through a Garda station or how about walking into the presidents bedroom?

If they have sufficient reason to then they can.

The president should not consider her bedroom private as there are people, for example domestic staff, who have access to it.

Another Garda can gain access to a Garda car whenever he wants. A Garda could not claim the car to be a private place if he had left something in the car and another Garda subsequently finds it.

There may be confidential conversations which take place inside a Garda car but confidentiality is extremely different to privacy.

If this is the case within the guards concerning jokes about rape, well then they have nothing to fear................

Legally they have nothing to fear imo but there is still internal discipline, for conduct unbecoming etc . . . .

They have the media today report admitted the comments and admitted how completely inappropriate they were. As we all know they were. The can be fined, transfered ( if I were stationed there I would see a transfer as a good thing tbh, away from all that crap )

Im not for one minute making light of what was said . . .it was a disasterous thing, the whole episode . .for the entire force, and will have and effect on victims confidence etc which is a huge issue . . .

. . . however I am steadfast in my protection of Gardai's rights . . .like all other citizens rights . .to engage in private conversation amongst consenting adults.

Gardai are human beings that do a particular job . . .as human beings they are not without fault and not infallible. And they do not sign their rights away when they become gardai . . . .

And this was 2 gardaí, with another listening . . . .2 out of 14,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Their conversation is no longer private, so absolutely no point in crying over that spilt milk.

The controversy has arisen over what has been revealed, not what some might prefer to have kept concealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macklin

the cops should be fired-but since they are cops and this is ireland they can do pretty much what they without impunity-they said something ****ty and got caught and in most other industries ifyou got overheard making rape jokes u'd be out the door pretty quick-those lads in the tape need have no fear of any repercussions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If they have sufficient reason to then they can.

The president should not consider her bedroom private as there are people, for example domestic staff, who have access to it.

Another Garda can gain access to a Garda car whenever he wants. A Garda could not claim the car to be a private place if he had left something in the car and another Garda subsequently finds it.

There may be confidential conversations which take place inside a Garda car but confidentiality is extremely different to privacy.

The President should not consider her bedroom private as domestic staff have access to it . . . . . .

. . .that is up there with one the daftest comments I've ever read here . . .

So if Joe citizen hires a housekeeper should he/ she no longer consider his/ her home private and as the constitution says, Invoilable, save in accordance with law.

State ownership does not infer that property or places are public. Defence Forces armouries are state owned . .try forcing your way into one. The Áras is state owned, try forcing your way in there.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Their conversation is no longer private, so absolutely no point in crying over that spilt milk.

The controversy has arisen over what has been revealed, not what some might prefer to have kept concealed.

The conversation was private at the time it took place, and it was between consenting adults.

That is the important legal fact.

Issues of morality etc are completely different and in fairness there has been no dispute there.

Corcioch wrote: »
    The President should not consider her bedroom private as domestic staff have access to it . . . . . .

. . .that is up there with one the daftest comments I've ever read here . . .

So if Joe citizen hires a housekeeper should he/ she no longer consider his/ her home private and as the constitution says, Invoilable, save in accordance with law.

State ownership does not infer that property or places are public. Defence Forces armouries are state owned . .try forcing your way into one. The Áras is state owned, try forcing your way in there.

There is a difference in your private home and a publicly owned building, car or armoury.

Are you stating that because there is restricted access to df armouries that people can behave as they like in there? The bottom line is that these public facilities are just that: public. There should be no expectation that your actions there will be treated as being those of a person in a private place.

Just because access is restricted does not make any difference. Access on to a bus is restricted to people who have a ticket but it does not make the top deck of the 46A a private place.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

A public building means that it is owned by the state, it does not mean that the public have free access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Are you stating that because there is restricted access to df armouries that people can behave as they like in there? The bottom line is that these public facilities are just that: public. There should be no expectation that your actions there will be treated as being those of a person in a private place.

There is case law that only the Public office of a Garda station is a public place. Also the same with a prisoner in the back of a car.

While your trying to make a difference between restricted areas and non public places, and while I see your point, you a quiet wrong.

Actions are taken as being those of a person in a private place....bar that there is a disciplinary procedure in place.

All above being said, im not going to comment on the incident.....except to say I am not happy with it and do not support the members concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You're clutching at straws here. The conversation was in private. The party involved were not addressing the public nor, I doubt, had they intended the conversation to be heard by anybody else but those in the vehicle. It makes no odds who owns the car.

A transfer and perhaps a training would seem to be me a fair course of action to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I've just read that the gardaí involved in the corrib 'rape' tapes have being transferred and assigned to desk duty.

All for cracking a joke in private.

So the leftwing scum now want to monitor and control freedom of speech and the right to privacy.

My main cripe though is how these lads have being let down by their respectives garda bodies (GRA and ASGI).

With the exception of a few (mainly K Mac) why have gardaí sold out their colleagues?

We're all political correct now?Yeah?

Shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

agreed . The same leftie **** would be moan about freedom of speech if they were under the kosh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

As a former non-national, the threat about having someone deported does ring true, I have received this threat quite a few times before and after I got my Irish passport.

BrianD wrote: »
    You're clutching at straws here. The conversation was in private. The party involved were not addressing the public nor, I doubt, had they intended the conversation to be heard by anybody else but those in the vehicle. It makes no odds who owns the car.

A transfer and perhaps a training would seem to be me a fair course of action to be taken.

My initial point was twofold, namely that while in a public vehicle and when on duty, being paid wages from the public purse that they cannot expect their conversations to be private.

If one of the Gardai present had made a formal complaint about the comments and it has been dealt with on public record then the conversation would not be deemed to have been private.

There were most likely several pieces of communications equipment in the car. If one of those had broadcast the conversation would it still have been private?

What about Garda vehicles with video recording cameras. Are they also 'private'?

The fact is that if these comments were made in private then there is nothing could have been done. They were not. They were done on the public's time in a public owned vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

With the exception of a few (mainly K Mac) why have gardaí sold out their colleagues?

We're all political correct now?Yeah?

Shame on you!

No one is being politically correct all of a sudden. Bad press is bad press. They have brought the force into disrepute and will get disciplined over it. That is all, just disciplined and rightly so. You are right though, this is a witch hunt and an incident that has been totally blown out of proportion.
    agreed . The same leftie **** would be moan about freedom of speech if they were under the kosh

Warning issued for inappropriate language

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement