Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

esel wrote: »
    I thought all 999 Garda calls went to one C&C area (with multiple lines)! I have been in the habit of ringing 999 if I'm outside my local area (have their no. in my phone) if I see something nefarious going on - would not always be emergency material though. I would still probably be in the Dublin area though, and have never got any flak for the call. I have asked once or twice if it was OK to use 999 for these incidents and was told it was.

All 999 calls go to C&C in Dublin alright but down the country we have our own 999 phones in district HQs.

Recently the 999 calls have been directed to the Divisional HQ then onto the appropriate distrct.
    Anyone else's division do this?
    I think its an awful waste of time and resources

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not really. There is a standard 25 per cent remission for prisoners, except those serving an indeterminate sentence, ie life. Remission can be taken off you for disciplinary infractions, but's that's only a few weeks at a time. For example, Liam Keane was supposed to get out of POrtlaoise at a certain day last month, but it was delayed for a week or so because he had a bit of remission taken off him.
    I think remission in Britain is 33 per cent. And in the north it used to be 50 per cent - may still be.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/prison-system/remission_and_temporary_release

Exactly, you are not automatically entitled to it, as some people like to suggest. It has to be earned by good behaviour. In practice, good behaviour means an absence of bad behaviour, but the rationale behind it is to keep order in prisons. Therefore, 25% remission makes sense to keep order, which a lot of people fail to realise when they complain about remission. Hence, I wish it was common knowledge that remission is not automatic but has to be earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Exactly, you are not automatically entitled to it, as some people like to suggest. It has to be earned by good behaviour. In practice, good behaviour means an absence of bad behaviour, but the rationale behind it is to keep order in prisons. Therefore, 25% remission makes sense to keep order, which a lot of people fail to realise when they complain about remission. Hence, I wish it was common knowledge that remission is not automatic but has to be earned.

No, no, it is automatic remission. Bits are shaved off for someone acting the bollox, but it is automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

It is applied the day you arrive in the prisonn and then added back onto the sentence as your a bad boy so yes, it is automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm with johnny on this, remission is not an automatic right of any prisoner.

It has to be earned.

See 59 on Prison Rules 2007

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/prison%20rules%202007.pdf/Files/prison%20rules%202007.pdf

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    I'm with johnny on this, remission is not an automatic right of any prisoner.

It has to be earned.

See 59 on Prison Rules 2007

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/prison%20rules%202007.pdf/Files/prison%20rules%202007.pdf

All thats doing is giving the minister the authority to reduce sentences which have been handed down. means nothing in this arguement.

Another way, if I arrested you and got you sent you to jail before you commited the crime would you believe you earned and deserved that sentence? Nope, you would see it as recieving something automaticaly. Now, apply that to the entire population and you have automatic sentences. IN prison you apply remission on arrival to every prisoner. Exact same thing and for the record, I dont consider not commiting crime as 'earning' anything. I consider commiting crime as 'earning' more jail time.

Its the same with wages. I get paid AFTER I have actually done the required activity not on arrival at my workplace. Either way its promised to me the difference in when its applied.

I also dont get paid BEFORE I have worked the hours and have EARNED the cash

Yes but that is the basis upon which a prisoner is granted remission. Good behaviour allows the Minister to provide for remission for good conduct up to 1/4 of the total sentence. This has always been my understanding and I have never told anybody it's guaranteed because it's not.

It's earned. It's not an automatic right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

have a look at this dated January 09 from Dermot Ahern
    No change to automatic sentence remission
    watch listen Thursday, 29 January 2009 22:31

The Minister for Justice has said he will not change the system where all prisoners have an automatic right to one-quarter remission on their sentences.

Following the perceived lenient sentencing of two serial sex offenders in the last week, Dermot Ahern said he shared the public's concern about such people being on the streets.

However, he said he could not interfere with the independence of the courts.
    Advertisement

Mr Ahern said that he was introducing a programme to tag sex offenders upon release and those on temporary release from prison, and that he would put out a tender for a pilot programme.

He also said if he abolished the quarter remission of sentences, he believed that judges would take this into account and apply sentences at the lower level.

'Remission is an incentive for inmates to behave themselves in prison', he said.

http://www.2fm.ie/news/2009/0129/prison.html

That's a media article you have quoted, it's not authoritive and another example of the media reinforcing popular public belief that's incorrect.

In a strict legal sense remission is not guaranteed, a prisoner is not automatically entitled to it as a right. A prisoner is entitled to be considered for remission up to 1/4 of the original sentence but it's heavily dependant on the behaviour of the prisoner and the mood of the Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Remission is an automatic entitlement to a prisoner when sentenced by the courts,Except in certain cases i.e Life sentences or debtors or contempt of court . The " good behaviour" aspect is applied if a prisoner is subject to a disciplinary report AFTER coming to prison where he/she can be punished for a disciplinary matter by having remission taken off their sentence up to a period of 14 days. Remission is not added as the prisoner serves his /her time. They don't earn time off their sentences if they behave . They serve up to their full sentence if they break the rules by losing their remission.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Eru wrote: »

If the social welfare, local nightclub, bank wants proof your documents are real, they can check themselves. I dont verify copies and I dont do their jobs. Try reporting a crime to the social welfare and see what happens.

I cant verify your identity on an ML10 if I have never met you before in my life anymore than the bank can. I cannot verify your child lives with you at your house in another county unless I know you and said child. Again, how do I know and if the social wants to check, they can. Its part of their job

So what is Joe Public to do when caught between Social Welfare who hold the purse-strings and the Garda who holds the cell keys ?

Perhaps the Garda should sign the form and proceed to inform his/her superiors and ask them to get onto DSCFA rather than turning away some poor bloke who was dispatched to get a form filled in order to claim his stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

timmywex wrote: »
    The garda overtime bill;

Most peple dont understand what a waste of garda resources the courts are!

Essential and all that but having over half of an areas cars parked outside the court isnt great usage, nor is having gardai on overtime sitting in court waiting for paddy zulu's case to be called knowing fully it will be adjurned.

Surely the court system shoudl say a rough time that a case will be dealt with so everyone doesnt have to be there at ten in the morning!

Paddy Zulu? Does that mean Irish citizens with KwaZulu heritage?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

parsi wrote: »
    So what is Joe Public to do when caught between Social Welfare who hold the purse-strings and the Garda who holds the cell keys ?

Perhaps the Garda should sign the form and proceed to inform his/her superiors and ask them to get onto DSCFA rather than turning away some poor bloke who was dispatched to get a form filled in order to claim his stamps.

Your missing the whole point here. As already stated its not my job to certify your passport,licence,degree as being real copy of the orginal and i cant 100% certify who you are if i dont know you and i'll just state this again a commissioner of oaths WILL certify documents but at a cost thats part of his/her job not mine.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Your missing the whole point here. As already stated its not my job to certify your passport,licence,degree as being real copy of the orginal and i cant 100% certify who you are if i dont know you and i'll just state this again a commissioner of oaths WILL certify documents but at a cost thats part of his/her job not mine.

The point is that one arm of the State is telling Joe Public to go to another arm of the State to perform certain tasks.

So why can't these two arms of the State get together and agree the proper course of action ?

I feel for Joe Public shuffling from pillar to post in order to get his dole sorted out.

Putting it another way: An issue has been identified in that folk are being incorrectly told to go to the barracks to get stuff sorted out. As an Organisation surely there should be a collective response to this issue (education of the other organisations whatever) rather than having a Groundhog day every day due to legions of folk traipsing in to get forms signed/verified and whathaveya.

(Educating the banks and phone companies may be a harder task....)

parsi wrote: »

Not my job and I only do my job now because thats what Joe Public expects of me, no more no less.

Why cant Joe Public address the situation considering its HIS dole claim? Why cant Joe Public engage his brain and ask in the dole office why do I need the Gardai? Or in the bank? Or when he gets the letter asking him? Or in fact and I know this is crazy, actually read the documentation they have and check who can certify something and where you pay tickets? Its in big bold writing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dont call me sir i'm not a school teacher and dont call me officer I dont work in a prison, Garda is fine though.

Been told the opposite myself. Some take offence to that term.
    Please when coming to a checkpoint have your window down cause if you roll up to me and stop with the window up i see this as being very rude and will check every aspect of your car and yourself

If in a traffic queue, fair enough but in a lot of occasions there is no need. I rarely do it because any time I pass a checkpoint they just check tax and insurance then wave me on.
    If your approaching a checkpoint and a Garda puts his hand up for you to stop, don't stop 10 feet away from him and expect him/her to walk up to you.
    Doing that for 50 different cars can be fairly annoying.

Agreed. I think its that some people freak out.

Though, there are times when I slow down, turn down my lights and the guards are waving me down to let me know they are present. I would have assumed they noticed I recognised them when I slowed down, turned down the lights and even gave a small flash of the lights to acknowledge. Slightly bugs me :)
    TheNog wrote: »
    Yes this is a big one folks.

999 phone calls are for emergency life/death/serious injury calls only.

May I also add life/death/serious injury that concerns human life not the "my dog is dying" call I had last week!!!!

Agreed. I can recall two incidents though - one where a guard on TV said to contact his station with any information related to a murder (I think, some incident anyway) by calling 999. Another I was assaulted, knew the suspect but he was hiding from the guards. He called 999 to hand himself in.

Sully wrote: »

To being called Garda? seems strange to me, its our title. Could be worse though, I know a certain female who has been addressed Sir on more than one occasion :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To being called Garda? seems strange to me, its our title. Could be worse though, I know a certain female who has been addressed Sir on more than one occasion :p

Yup. Apparently if you address some members like that they dont see it as a friendly "hello" and rather a small dig. Iv always been friendly to members of the force since growing up around them and knowing a lot (of course I have came across many not-so-friendly guards which wont put me of the force completely, but I can see why it does for others!)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup. Apparently if you address some members like that they dont see it as a friendly "hello" and rather a small dig. Iv always been friendly to members of the force since growing up around them and knowing a lot (of course I have came across many not-so-friendly guards which wont put me of the force completely, but I can see why it does for others!)
    Now, um... could you, you know, could you see how that might be, eh, well, *cough*, a touch confusing for us aul General Publicans! :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yup. Apparently if you address some members like that they dont see it as a friendly "hello" and rather a small dig.
    Try 'Sargeant'? :D A little flattery, and all that......

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

To being called Garda? seems strange to me, its our title.
    Yup. Apparently if you address some members like that they dont see it as a friendly "hello" and rather a small dig.
    It's all in the tone.;)

A guard was driving down a country road and met a young lad on a bike coming towards him. The young lad shouts "PIG!" at the guard.
    "I'll do that cheeky fecker" fumes the guard who then proceeds around the next bend and crashes the patrol car as he swerves to avoid a stray pig in the middle of the road. It's all in the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 standclear

Not strictly emergency services but when handing back change/looking for a light/asking if they are real guns to a soldier dressed uniform please don't say "arn't yis all supposed to be deaf?" and join in smirking with the ten other people in the shop/garage etc..we have probably heard(yep..heard) that 'joke' already today!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 coolinblue

ha ha i have worked with fair few of them!!! :p but have to say am a looker myself!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Didn't s.3 of the 1990 Criminal Justice Act repeal capital murder, and even when it did exist (and as it stands under s.3 in its modern day form) the garda had to either be on duty, or be acting in the course of their duty?

Are you for real? You demand people show you such deference that they must have their window rolled down in advance, and yet also complain if someone rather politely calls you sir? Talk about acting a Billy Big Bollokks...

First Para : Hey Vote4Pedro, you are spot on there. Section 3 of The Criminal Justice Act 1990 covers this offence. The penalty is forty years imprisonment and twenty years for an attempt which was the penalty which existed previously (minus the death sentence! :))

Second Para: Ya, I have to say I can understand why you got your back up over that one. Each senario is different and the last thing you want is to antagonise a member of the public, it's meaning I thing has been clarified at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

gdamedic wrote: »
    another one heard was "My dole pays your wages" ;)

REPLY:"My Pension Levy pays your DOLE":mad:

joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

so can you **** in a Garda's hat?

:P

would like to see you try :D not in mine you wont only have d 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

coolinblue wrote: »
    would like to see you try :D not in mine you wont only have d 1!

sounds like a sponsored GOAL challenge!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

pvt.joker wrote: »
    When we're in the chipper, 90% of the time it's getting prisoner meals, so no need for the smart comments.

Great thread btw.

I'm an ordinary civilian. This caught my interest. Do prisoners really get to order takeaways - using Gardai as a courier service ?

Would it be better to have a mini-food cupboard in Garda Stations - with Weetabix, Porridge, bread and the like. The prisoners can then purchase this from the State - wouldn't be expensive. I'd rather see them living a more spartan life as opposed to American Burger and Curry Chips.

Also... what a complete waste of a Garda's Time. In fact I think its a humilation of the Gardai involved. I was happier when I thought they were buying it for themselves !!:D

Advertisement