Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you perceive the overall work of the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Exempt from seatbelts

Not as far as I am aware. If they are it is bloody stupid. They will die the same as anyone else not wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Not as far as I am aware. If they are it is bloody stupid. They will die the same as anyone else not wearing them.

Army dont have seat belts in their trucks either

Army dont have seat belts in their trucks either

And soldiers have been killed because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats because the equipment is outdated. Any new trucks they buy have to meet new safety standards which require harness type support.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Here are my thoughts:
    1. Too much time spent on speeding duties yet no patrols on the motorways.
    2. No enforcement of the unaccompanied driving law.
    3. A 'we can do what we want attitude' A garda recently got shocked when I told him to put his seat belt on or I would report him.
    4. Arrogance and stand offishness from the gard on duty when going into a garda station to ask for advice.

Gardai are exempt from wearing seatbelts. So they are not breaking the law by not wearing one.

Who would you have reported him too for not wearing his seat belt?? Seeing as he was not breaking the law? Just a thought but maybe you should have minded your own business if you do not know the law.

• Advertisement

Chief--- wrote: »
    Gardai are exempt from wearing seatbelts. So they are not breaking the law by not wearing one.

Who would you have reported him too for not wearing his seat belt?? Seeing as he was not breaking the law? Just a thought but maybe you should have minded your own business if you do not know the law.

Just a thought but perhaps I was concerned he would be seriously injured through his own stupidity!

My guess is that somewhere in their regulations they have a requirement to wear seat belts regardless of what the law says they can do.

99.9% of gardaí DO wear their seat belts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Depending on whatever duty they are on a garda may weigh up the risks against the possible result and decide he might be able to do the duty quicker and with a better result being unrestrained by a seatbelt.

You will never know what duty he is doing so it might be better to just mind your own business. He could be sneaking up on a suspect, about to jump out and smash the windows of a stolen car..... the possibilities are endless.

Or if you like pointing out to people that they are not wearing their seatbelt maybe a job in the gardai is for you. Or maybe the garda reserve if you are already happy in your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Too much time spent on speeding duties? Not in my area that covers 200000 people.... haven't seen speed checks done in ages...

Not enforcing unaccompanied driver law? People will have thier reasons and i understand that this is new to the Irish republic this law, but I just summonsed a rake of people for that and i wasn't tryin... Loads of our station does the same.

We have excellent drivers on our unit, and i trust them daily, i confess i only wear my belt when blue lightin somewhere...

andrewh5 where do you get the 99.9% statistic from? I doubt that.

We are exempt under the Road Traffic Act and for good reason. You may never know what its like to have a hostile prisoner in the vehicle who has for example infectious diseases and you cant afford to be strapped down when you may have to restrain him at a moments notice. I may need to exit the vehicle in a hurry for a range of reasons as Chief stated...

That said i do recognise that seatbelts save lives. I do wear a belt when sirens are on, because the risk of crashing into some eejit who's never bothered to pass his test or some ol'biddy who can't hear the siren, the chances of crash increase dramatically when blue lights are on.

Please dont think we are arrogant or we can do what we want, there are good reasons for such...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Yes i trust them to a degree......But as a force they are useless, wouldn't even bother to ring them if i was a victim of crime.

No matter what people say about their dangerous driving, on mobile phones constantly, and not dealing with scum who rule our streets i.e( the 50 or so members hiding behind their vehicles in dorset street the other night) they always have an excuse.

I know safety is a massive issue, but there is more people killed and injured on Building Sites than in the whole of the Gardai, fire service, ambulances, prison officers put together, just get on with the job lads stop making Excuses because us the public are sick of them.

OK next time you are on dorset street late at night, put yourself in a gardas boots. You are armed with little more then an extendable stick. You do nit have riot police readily available. Drunken scumbags in this country are known to be ruthless, walk up to them and get a bottle accross your face, as soon as that happens your down on the ground, everything kicks off. The girlfriends then come in screaming their knickers off because other gardai are trying to arrest their boyfriends.

Pokerface your comments about more people getting killed on building sites is well and good, but knowing that your job involves getting a broken eye socket or a broken elbow cannot be of any comfort.

Your post frankly disgusts me beecause you have blatently mis read the situation that you outlined in your post.

What else is there to do but hide behind a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

From the outside looking in, it would appear to me that the Gardai have alienated the public by allowing crime to continue in certain sectors while clamping down hard on that middle class law-abiding, hard working sector of society.

Oh yes, because all those marked and unmarked cars, Gardai on bikes, Community Gardai on foot, Gardai on horses, that Garda helicopter, those RSU/ERU patrols and the CAB profilers hang around ''middle class law-abiding'' peoples houses on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Everyone take a deep breath now and relax.

There are too many people posting in what may appear a slightly aggressive manner and are getting equally aggressive posts from members back.

If you have an experience or question please post in a civilised manner.

Members I also expect a civilised response from ye too.

Lets keep this debate going in a proper manner so we can all benefit from it.

Thanks

TheNog

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

donvito99 wrote: »
    OK next time you are on dorset street late at night, put yourself in a gardas boots. You are armed with little more then an extendable stick. You do nit have riot police readily available. Drunken scumbags in this country are known to be ruthless, walk up to them and get a bottle accross your face, as soon as that happens your down on the ground, everything kicks off. The girlfriends then come in screaming their knickers off because other gardai are trying to arrest their boyfriends.

Pokerface your comments about more people getting killed on building sites is well and good, but knowing that your job involves getting a broken eye socket or a broken elbow cannot be of any comfort.

Your post frankly disgusts me beecause you have blatently mis read the situation that you outlined in your post.

What else is there to do but hide behind a van?

Donvito, i assume you are a Garda and i feel for you guys , you do a thankless job with little or no job satisfaction i.e scum back on the streets hours after been arrested.

My situation and the Dorset street example is. 50 members behind a van and a public order unit should be more than capable of dealing with 30 stone throwing scumbags i know you worry about your safety, but what about my safety the public's???????????
    Now from someone looking from the outside in at this incident, it doesn't make sense.

When you decided your profession, did you not know what you were getting into, because you The Gardai don't seem to be capable of dealing with anti-social behaviour at any level, because of safety issue's i'm sure.

My final line on the subject is, no one wants to see anybody killed or hurt doing there job, i have 2 young girls waiting for me at home everyday, but if your going to do a job, do it properly or don't do it at all.

And if you read back from the first post to the last, yes there is always an excuse, wish my boss was as understanding.

Chief--- wrote: »

Maybe if you practiced what you preach people wouldn't be so hostile towards you. Whats the big deal about pulling your seatbelt on, takes 2 seconds no big deal, and might safe your life.

But your answer is mind your own business?? Must remember that one next time i'm stopped at a checkpoint. Where are you going son? I'm not breaking the law so mind your own business.

Nog i know what your thinking, but this above comment has every relevance to the Question you are asking in this debate, its the Gardai's bad attitude to Joe Bloggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Neither Donvito or Chief are serving members.

I disagree with you when you say we cannot deal with public order incidents. We deal with 100's of public order incident each week across the country but we are assuming that this particular incident on Dorset St may have been too serious to deal with with by uniform members. Or maybe the 50 Gardai were regrouping for another or first strike against them or waiting for back up from the public order unit as has already been said. It maybe worthy to note that 10 of these 30 people were arrested though.

Does not tell you the incident was dealt with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

TheNog wrote: »
    Neither Donvito or Chief are serving members.

I disagree with you when you say we cannot deal with public order incidents. We deal with 100's of public order incident each week across the country but we are assuming that this particular incident on Dorset St may have been too serious to deal with with by uniform members. Or maybe the 50 Gardai were regrouping for another or first strike against them or waiting for back up from the public order unit as has already been said. It maybe worthy to note that 10 of these 30 people were arrested though.

Does not tell you the incident was dealt with?

I don't know all the details. But most people I know would (I presume) think that if 30 hoods rioted in front of 50 gardai, then most of them should have been caught. Not just 1/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I don't know all the details. But most people I know would (I presume) think that if 30 hoods rioted in front of 50 gardai, then most of them should have been caught. Not just 1/3.

To be fair Tallaght, in various situations over the years I have had to restraint a few people, 1/3 sounds quite reasonable to me. Unless you are going to go in very hard and heavy it can take two to three people to restraint a person in a safe and reasonable manner. If they were to go in that heavy there would more than likely be cries of foul.

Donvito, i assume you are a Garda and i feel for you guys , you do a thankless job with little or no job satisfaction i.e scum back on the streets hours after been arrested.

My situation and the Dorset street example is. 50 members behind a van and a public order unit should be more than capable of dealing with 30 stone throwing scumbags i know you worry about your safety, but what about my safety the public's???????????
    Now from someone looking from the outside in at this incident, it doesn't make sense.

When you decided your profession, did you not know what you were getting into, because you The Gardai don't seem to be capable of dealing with anti-social behaviour at any level, because of safety issue's i'm sure.

My final line on the subject is, no one wants to see anybody killed or hurt doing there job, i have 2 young girls waiting for me at home everyday, but if your going to do a job, do it properly or don't do it at all.

And if you read back from the first post to the last, yes there is always an excuse, wish my boss was as understanding.

I am not a garda. Sorry if I came across as one. I got a bit hot under the collar there. I appreciate what you are and were trying to say, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

I think i heard that they (the guards that were 'hiding' behind cars) had been told to hold off by an officer and wait for further instruction/public order units.

To be honest if an affray goes to a riot - you have to meet that situation with a proportionate response
    - 50 independantly operating police with asps would cause more chaos and trouble. Its safer to use the more organised for the job - public order unit. Don't forget the city centre is riddled with cctv too.

The Gardai know all to well who those people are and the '1/3' that got arrested will rat on thier mates guaranteed.

As far as I am aware there is a public order unit, but it is more along the
    lines of this...66068.jpg

And heres another pick...66069.jpg

Were going a bit off topic here people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Odysseus wrote: »
    To be fair Tallaght, in various situations over the years I have had to restraint a few people, 1/3 sounds quite reasonable to me. Unless you are going to go in very hard and heavy it can take two to three people to restraint a person in a safe and reasonable manner. If they were to go in that heavy there would more than likely be cries of foul.

But 50 gardai? Catching just 10 rioters?

Now, in fairness, I know nothing about policing. I'm just commenting on the way that comes across.

• Advertisement

I thought it was 30 yobs.

No wait, 50 scumbags and 30 gardai...

I'm genuinely confused now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Now, in fairness, I know nothing about policing. I'm just commenting on the way that comes across.

I see your point but how many times have you seen three or four people trying to contain one person who doesn't want to be cotained. I'm just merely saying that its harder to get some to do something if the are really determined not to. I sure your have seen it yourself within a hospital environment how much havok one determined person can cause.

In fairness to the Gardai its 10 less scum off the street if even only for that night, they should be commended for that, because this has been the first mention of any arrests.

Nog maybe you should look at a new thread, this one has gone way off course, but keep the debate going, i've really got a good insight into a Gardai's life in the last 72 hours, its help to educate me on the daily difficulties they face and changed my perception towards them in a positive manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ask yourself, would you have got that insight without free ranging debate?
    I thought the debate was great. Both sides sounded off but both sides learned something. That wouldn't have been possible without the leeway allowed by the mods. Personally it think it was very worthwhile.

Hagar wrote: »
    Ask yourself, would you have got that insight without free ranging debate?
    I thought the debate was great. Both sides sounded off but both sides learned something. That wouldn't have been possible without the leeway allowed by the mods. Personally it think it was very worthwhile.

100% agree, excellent moderation well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

eroo wrote: »
    Oh yes, because all those marked and unmarked cars, Gardai on bikes, Community Gardai on foot, Gardai on horses, that Garda helicopter, those RSU/ERU patrols and the CAB profilers hang around ''middle class law-abiding'' peoples houses on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

Nope, they don't but what about the examples I have given about junkies selling heroin with immunity along the quays?

What about people begging in the streets?

What about stone-throwers and people setting bonfires?

I have experience of a Garda being so disinterested in dealing with a crime that he invented a murder. I agreed with him that my broken-into car was unimportant and let him get on his way. Lo and behold, no murders in the news.

We all know what manpower is being put into speeders. The teams of Gardai who go to music festivals to try to infiltrate student types smoking cannabis.

I can't think of the last time I have seen community Gardai on foot. The only place I've seen them on foot is Dublin city centre. Even then, Grafton Street seems to be patrolled mainly by a Mondeo which I'm sure the occupants are more concerned in getting the pedestrians to move over.

No idea what the helicopter does. Horses? Only ever seen them on Henry Street. And what would happen if someone snatched a bag and ran into the Ilac? Break into a canter through the mall?

The force is failing the majority of law abiding people and letting the criminals get away with it.

As I've said, the normally law-abiding will come quietly, be more compliant, show remorse, plead guilty and give a crime-solved statistic.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Just a thought but perhaps I was concerned he would be seriously injured through his own stupidity!

or perhaps you were so sick of being caught breaking the law you thought you could get one up on the Garda.

I know you pay their wages and all but come on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

What about people begging in the streets?

I have experience of a Garda being so disinterested in dealing with a crime that he invented a murder. I agreed with him that my broken-into car was unimportant and let him get on his way. Lo and behold, no murders in the news.

Firstly, there are no laws in this country outlawing begging-the courts kindly removed them. If you are going to apportion blame at least find the facts first and then point your finger of blame in the right direction.

.....and secondly,?????

(ps as a serving Garda I did not vote).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

As a public order trained officer, the role of a public order unit is not to arrest those engaged in a public order incident, though this is often a by-product, the primary role is the restoration of public order (the clue is in the title). Post incident when order has been restored a detailed investigation commences and the agitators usually receive rude awakenings at silly o'clock when their front door is put in and they are arrested for whatever offences they have disclosed on the day.

Its not rocket science as if you use up your public order troops in effecting arrests you quickly lose your pubic order capability.

Just because a fraction were arrested on the day is not to say the remainder won't be rounded up over the coming months.

Primary goal = restoration of order.
    Secondary goal = arrest & prosecution of offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I can't think of the last time I have seen community Gardai on foot. The only place I've seen them on foot is Dublin city centre. Pathetic.

I was on the beat every evening last week-yes, depsite the weather. I was not out yesterday or today due to my being on rest days but I will be on shanks mare tomorrow, or on the bike don't know yet-and while I am stationed in Dublin it is nowhere near Grafton Street!!

Advertisement