Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

S.I.R wrote: »
    The " random " policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

though they spend most of their time speeding after noobie criminals they have the equipment should they be required.

but atleast the gardi have something, it beatsa having to call up the lads from limerick in the blocked out patrols with the aldi value camo gear and there chinese mp5's, but that was the old budget, in with the new :)

The random I spoke of was a boardsie!

As regards your last point,I'm lost!AGS never had MP5's or cheap camo gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

S.I.R wrote: »
    policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

though they spend most of their time speeding after noobie criminals they have the equipment should they be required.

And Special Branch don't respond to firearms jobs here. Armed response is conducted by authorised firearms officers (AFOs) as part of Tactical Firearms Group (TFG) or Central Operations (CO) crewed in armed response vehicles (ARVs).

310.jpg

TFG Entry Team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

In the motors forum they were sayin that the vehicles would be equipped with ANPR, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

donvito99 wrote: »
    In the motors forum they were sayin that the vehicles would be equipped with ANPR, are they?
    I had presumed that ANPR couldn't be rolled out until Tetra was in place first due to high level of fast data communication and poor coverage with the current radio system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

donvito99 wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

eroo wrote: »
    Armed criminals don't attack DDU Ford Mondeos(well,they're pretty obvious,but that is the point) nor do they attack other armed units,simply because these personnel are armed.They wouldn't risk it imo.There is a good chance a) they could be shot b)they could be arrested c)they wouldn't get far after the incident,as well as various other risks.So I don't think the RSU will be at any greater risk.

Armed Gardai have been attacked before, Jerry McCabe & Ben O'Sullivan being the last two serious cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Thats true, that was a low life, cowardly ambush, didnt even give them a chance to draw their weapons

cushtac wrote: »
    Armed Gardai have been attacked before, Jerry McCabe & Ben O'Sullivan being the last two serious cases.

I know full well that armed Gardai have been attacked before.However,any Garda patrol,armed or unarmed,could be decimated by a gunman at any given time.Yet,I seriously don't think many organised crime gangs or anyone else would consider something like that,imagine the crackdown that would follow?It would be post-Veronica Guerin all over again.

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Thats true, that was a low life, cowardly ambush, didnt even give them a chance to draw their weapons

Ambush?Some say otherwise!

More like an assaination if ye ask me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

eroo wrote: »
    I know full well that armed Gardai have been attacked before.However,any Garda patrol,armed or unarmed,could be decimated by a gunman at any given time.Yet,I seriously don't think many organised crime gangs or anyone else would consider something like that,imagine the crackdown that would follow?It would be post-Veronica Guerin all over again.

If you know full well then why did you say criminals don't attack armed DDU? Have you anything to base your assumptions on, other than the newspaper articles you read?

cushtac wrote: »
    If you know full well then why did you say criminals don't attack armed DDU? Have you anything to base your assumptions on, other than the newspaper articles you read?

No,I get most of my info from newspapers.Where else am I going to get it?Going on that,I haven't read anything about DDU patrols being attacked by armed criminals on a regular basis.Maybe they are,hence the RSU's being created?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Saw one driving around today,they look well, i honestly think members of public wouldn't know difference though, thats if they hadn't put cars all over news. People would have just thought GARDA got new marked cars. The one i saw on news had red lettering on front doors but the one i saw today didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Looked at video on news and pictures in paper - looks like their wearing public order unit pads on arms legs etc. In fact looks almost identical to it and nothing like pads iv seen ERU wear on jobs, Any ideas??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

I take it they're taking the same stance as us with regards to firearms and public order situations? ie they don't mix well... In that case..loose the shin guards. They may make for hard as **** photos, but for practicality, flexability and comfort, not sure I'd be too keen.

As for the side markings, you can get magnetic strips that they could just take on and off as needed

This looks more practical, apart from the Hi Viz which I'm sure will be removed for tactical situations... Nice one lads... Best of luck to them all.. Lets hope everyone gets behind them and it works out.

2829282907_8d2fbcee3f_o.jpg

Shame there's no more information or pictures on the Garda's own website...

ps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnVwkO6uKA :D

That is hilarious,thanks Jon!

From some of the linked vids its clear some Trojan officers are partial to Peanut Butter Jelly :D I hope DPS aren't scouring YouTube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

I was thinking the same myself... At least the guy on the left had control of his 5... the other guy...hmmmmmm

A pic I couldn't find earlier on; here's a close-up of kit worn by Tactical Firearms Group, for comparison.

Two pairs of cuffs, X26 worn on the body armour, Glock pistol and G36 carbine with laser sight and surefire, ASP and CS (not visible).

790253675_9795e0f37d.jpg?v=0

Why are the magazines transparent?

• Advertisement

Transparent mags give the officer an indication of when they need to change clip, i.e you don't need to count your rounds in a contact or risk your cocking lever coming back to you at an inappropriate time.

metman wrote: »
    Transparent mags give the officer an indication of when they need to change clip.

There goes their opportunity to do a Dirty Harry routine.''I know what your thinking.'Did he fire 30 shots or 29?.....''
    :D

Inspector Harry Callaghan picked a .44 for a reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The guards still dont have the launch of the RSU on their website,

I mean, come on!

This is probably the biggest PR event of the year.

The job will never advertise firearms stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

metman wrote: »
    Don't fall into the 'wannabe' category on here. You have zero operational experience (let alone firearms experience) so don't talk out of your hind quarters. What you said is all well and good on your .22 range, but it doesn't apply in real life, either in the military or police. Have you ever even held a 'standard clear mag' from a G36? Have you ever even seen a G36? I'm guessing not seeing as how they're not used in the Republic.

When you apply stress conditions to firearms use your round count may be well off sonny, hence why H&K and Steyr not to mention a number of other major players have now introduced clear clips as standard.

Use some common sense before making silly posts.

did somebody step on somebodys toes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Any good shooter knows exactly how many shots he has fired.
    metman wrote:
    Don't fall into the 'wannabe' category on here. You have zero operational experience (let alone firearms experience) so don't talk out of your hind quarters. What you said is all well and good on your .22 range, but it doesn't apply in real life, either in the military or police. Have you ever even held a 'standard clear mag' from a G36? Have you ever even seen a G36? I'm guessing not seeing as how they're not used in the Republic.

I'm sure what metman really meant to say was:

Dear Fyr.Fytr,
    On a club range or similar, all good shooters would know how many shots they had fired.
    However, in a firearms incident where multiple shots are fired and stress levels are high it is an obvious advantage to be able to assess how many rounds remain in the weapon by glancing at the magazine.

On inspection of the magazine one may find that there may be four or five rounds remaining. In this instance and should the opportunity arise (i.e. a small window of safety) , it is preferable to perform a tactical mag change and discard this magazine and replace it with a fully loaded mag.

This is far preferable than to continue firing until empty and then realise you have to perform an emergency mag change when your life may be in immediate danger.

But I'm sure metman would have edited his post accordingly when he calmed down :D

*throws cold water on metman and watches steam rising*

calm down big boy, civilian or not we are all on the same side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Who pissed on your chips?

Right granted i dont have a alot of fire arms expereince, bar range and clay pidgeon shooting. I'm speaking from what ive been told by family members and friends who come from a range of backrounds, everything from a weekend soldier with the rdf to members of the garda sdu, they all say the same.

Thing that gets me is, according to your analogy what on earth do you do when your unsing a pistol then, i know for most armed guards anyway this is their primary weapon as they dont normally carry uzi's with them and mp7's arnt fully rolled out yet. How do they cope? Or another thing how did the cope before clear mags came out?

As for the fact you jumped to that i havnt seen a g36c, ehhh ever hear of air travel, were not that backward here we do tend to venture from home and travel abroad these
    days

Dont be such a moody michael, remember attack the post not the poster

Remember opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one

EDIT: Metman if my post upsets you that much let me know and ill remove it

• Advertisement

Hey let's keep things nice and rosy!As nog said,we're all on the same side!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement