Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Used something like that many years ago to copy C64 games. Thank god for progress! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

'High speed dubbing' for the win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I only figured the copyright protection thing on those cassettes late when i owned my C64, Ed slaps forehead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Your man should have sold it as a genuine 8 bit game copying device instead, included a few C60s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Na, this was a true C64 tape duplication device
    COMMODOREC64DatasetteLoad-Save.jpg
    A friend of mine had one, I think it could 'backup' everything you could throw at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^ never seen one of them before, how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Myrddin wrote: »
    My mate(the same guy who gave me the boxed c64 the other day, misplaced the games, tape deck, etc though) had one of them too, just plug in two commodore tape decks and play on one, record on the other.
    was it possible to copy c64 tapes on a standard stereo? I thought they were mastered at a low volume so it wasn't possible.
    I knew you could just copy the Speccy tapes but never managed to copy a c64 one without the device above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

My mate(the same guy who gave me the boxed c64 the other day, misplaced the games, tape deck, etc though) had one of them too, just plug in two commodore tape decks and play on one, record on the other.
    was it possible to copy c64 tapes on a standard stereo? I thought they were mastered at a low volume so it wasn't possible.
    I knew you could just copy the Speccy tapes but never managed to copy a c64 one without the device above.

You could copy a most games on a stereo, i think some games had some kind of copy protection though.

I remember the volume level being pretty loud!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Two words to strike terror into the hearts of Speccy dub cowboys everywhere,
    Head Levels.....
    What a bloody nightmare.
    Little screwdriver in hand.
    Trying to remember was it a quarter turn left or right....
    Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Maybe it was the cheap cassette tapes I used to buy or the cheap stereos in our family but I never successfully pirated a C64 game like that. Never got the pages of code you used to get in the Commando Christmas annuals to run properly either :(

Luckily we had an uncle who used to bring shoeboxes full of C64 games back from the markets in England when we were kids, he'd play them once, declare them to be sh1te and let us take them home with us.

• Advertisement

I used maxell 90min cassettes, you could fit a load on each side :)

Myrddin wrote: »

Yea, someone already said how it works. One datasette for loading on the load port and one datasette for recording on the save port. Ideally, you used your own datasette on the save port as that meant the record levels/azimuth (like Ciderman mentioned 'Head Levels') would be correct for you to load it again from that datasette. It was meant to get around most copy protections of the time, except those red lens or 'look up page 143 and the 3rd word' pass/code protections :D

Two tape deck stereos generally sucked at duplication of data tapes, especially when people used the turbo copy button on them!

I thought it was something you used to pirate these: :o

mrQbtwqiY82KBsUqEiVXXQw.jpg

I still dont have a clue how it works on cassettes though, whats it called? Do you have to solder it into somewhere or something?

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought it was something you used to pirate these: :o

mrQbtwqiY82KBsUqEiVXXQw.jpg

I still dont have a clue how it works on cassettes though, whats it called? Do you have to solder it into somewhere or something?

Nop, the two datasettes (Load & Save datasette) connect to the top two connectors and the bottom connect connects to the C64 as you would normally connect the datasette to the C64

Ah right missed CathalDublins post about the 2 decks...

You just got schooled! Ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The funnier comment was urbanledge offering a euro, then withdrawing about the screen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

cloud493 wrote: »
    The funnier comment was urbanledge offering a euro, then withdrawing about the screen :pac:

Well Urbanledge = Brownfinger

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

He's saying he restored it, I'd beg to differ:

restore (rɪˈstɔː)
    vb (tr)
    1. to return (something, esp a work of art or building) to an original or former condition
    2. to bring back to health, good spirits, etc
    3. to return (something lost, stolen, etc) to its owner
    4. to reintroduce or re-enforce: to restore discipline.
    5. to reconstruct (an extinct animal, former landscape, etc)

• Advertisement

He's saying he restored it, I'd beg to differ:

restore (rɪˈstɔː)
    vb (tr)
    1. to return (something, esp a work of art or building) to an original or former condition
    2. to bring back to health, good spirits, etc
    3. to return (something lost, stolen, etc) to its owner
    4. to reintroduce or re-enforce: to restore discipline.
    5. to reconstruct (an extinct animal, former landscape, etc)

Apparently there is another

6. Turn a classic cabinet into sh1te and stick a current game picture on it for no apparent reason.

Off now to stick destiny graphics onto my defender and pull that poxy unreliable CRT out of it😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

22 Euro for a bad lttp copy, immaculate condition:rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/zelda-a-link-to-the-past-four-swords-gba/7830004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

22 Euro for a bad lttp copy, immaculate condition:rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/zelda-a-link-to-the-past-four-swords-gba/7830004

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

LongZ wrote: »

That seller is clearly special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

STG.Otaku wrote: »

Worst picture ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Why are people asking these mad prices recently, did something come up on pawn stars ???

Advertisement